OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: vpn router

The content of this topic has been archived on 20 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

hi friends

I have two AP linksys wrt54g, wanted to make vpn between them, which and the best form, pptp, openvpn? net - ----ap1 ======== AP 2 net
192.168.1.x                192.168.2.x

how I make this, I exist some form?

thanks

I use openvpn and have had good results. Bandwidth is limited by doing the encryption in software, so you'll only see 2-3 mbit/s.

I have no experience with pptp.

Oik

I've got OpenVPN running on a WRT54GS, and have found it significantly affects throughput.

With the WRT in client mode, throughput over wireless without any VPN was about 620kbytes/sec.
With an OpenVPN connection terminated on the WRT, and all traffic over wireless going through the VPN, throughput dropped to about 300kbytes/sec.

Looking at the CPU usage during this transfer indicates it's definitely CPU-bound.

I've also tried running a PPTP VPN from a client behind the WRT, and as expected, it had a negligible impact on throughput, as its not adding any overheads on the WRT, as the PPTP VPN was terminated elsewhere.

Cheers,
Martin.

The discussion might have continued from here.