OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: trying to downgrade from incorrect kamikazee but running image

The content of this topic has been archived on 6 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Folks,
I incorrectly flashed a 2.6 kernel version to my Wrt54gl (picked the wrong file to upgrade to by accident after build the images). I'm trying to get back to either the 2.4 version so I can use the broadcom interface or a wr version. after perusing the forum and FAQ, I have tried to use the failsafe mechanism to no avail. I am able to get the unit into failsafe mode (determined by using ethereal to trace the packets) however each time I issue the TFTP command (from windows XP) I receive ICMP destination port unreachable packets in response from the router.  Ultimately the TFTP transfer fails. I can still actually boot into the 2.6 kamikazee version of the firmware and telnet into the unit but could not find a way to execute a reflash/upgrade/downgrade from that point (being new to this, I might be a little dense). The IP address of the router is 192.168.1.1 and the IP address of the laptop (statically assigned) is 192.168.1.10. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

AreYouWireless
= = = = = = =

Sorry folks - I guess I was being a little dense - after perusing the forum a little more I was able to figure this out myself - documenting this just incase someone else needs some guidance

Since my router is a wrt54gl, the "image_file" I wanted to use to downgrade from kamikazee was openwrt-brcm-2.4-squashfs.trx from the white-russian release. To get the image_file onto the router use the following steps:

1) set up a FTP server (if you don't have one already) accessible to the router

2) copy(put) the file image_file into a directory accessible by ftp (FTProot?)

3) telnet/ssh into the router

4) cd /tmp

5) wget ftp://user:password@hostname/path/image_file
       use vaild credentials for the FTP server (username:password). I believe the default username
       if not specified is BusyBox (at least for Kamikazee). This comand will transfer image_file into /tmp

6) mtd -r write   image_file linux
      This command will write  image_file out to flash. After MTD finishes writing the image_file,
      the wrt54gl router should reboot and the new image should be running.

Thanks again to ThePeople who posted this information under the thread
HELP!! HOW To reflash my wrt54gs ?
http://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=8975

AreYouWireless
= = = =  = = =

The discussion might have continued from here.