OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: JTAG problems wrt54gv2.0

The content of this topic has been archived on 17 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I am having some strange issues with HairyDairyMaid's debricker utility and trying to write a new CFE to my wrt.  I totally noobed the router by trying to upgrade to RC6 with ipkg (I know, no need to rub it in)

Anyway, so I made a JTAG cable and I can read just fine.  I trying flashing an NVRAM and read it back and it works just fine.

Then I try flashing CFE.BIN and if I stop it at 25%, just before getting to the next block, I can read it back and everything is the same.  However, at 25%, it seems to go back to the beginning and hose the values that it just finished writing at the start of the CFE section.  I have tried various different things but nothing seems to work.  Can anybody out there help me?

PS - Also to note that if I erase the CFE, I can use ./wrt54g -flash:cfe.  After that, I have to use the /noemw flag until I erase CFE again.  Is that supposed to happen?

Thought I would post an update on this, in case anybody ever had a similar problem.  Turns out that a tiny piece of solder has fallen on the legs of the flash chip and bridged two pins.  Removing that allowed me to flash the router back to life.

The discussion might have continued from here.