First, I do not know how much the OS can control the hardware to accomplish this feat, but I do know that it should be possible even if slow. Slow is fine as long as it is being done.

In terms of multipoint, we want to allow the router to manage an array of connections with several other nearby wireless routers and not just the up-link.  Some hardware supports this in a way of a wireless bridge; however, we want to allow multiple networks (i.e. 10.0.1.x, 32.15.x.x, 135.30.20.x, etc) to be routed instead of a single network typical with a bridge.

Here the benefits:

Let say you have DSL customer A, B, and C. Now, A, B, and C want to network together because they within the same neighborhood. They thought about running a cable across the neighborhood, but that is not practical.  They use DSL at the moment to achieve the task. So, the connection goes like A<->DSL<->B<->DSL<->C. It is kind of weird to have to use a strange DSL business to network local neighborhood traffic. Even that, the DSL connection only maxes out at 6Mbps when the DSL company is paid a top premium amount for the connection that could easily buy several new wireless routers in a year. A,B,and C want the 56Mbps+ speed that their router has and that the DSL company doesn't provide between each one. They want it to go A<-WRT->B<-WRT->C, instead. However, they also want to keep the DSL company connection for their private use. The DSL company doesn't allow its downward traffic to be bridged with neighbors (which is quite anti-internet), so A,B, and C want their routers to handle more than one network, wirelessly.

Actually, A, B, and C want D, E, F, and Joe, Harry, Frank, Sue, and their neighbors of neighbors and friends of friends to join in wirelessly, also.

Thank you!

Further edit: this could go beyond the normal mesh network and allow multichannel switching. I would assume the higher channels being used for shorter distances and quicker timeslices. However in the end, if 802.11s is supported sooner, this feature is not a demand.

(Last edited by dzonatas on 18 Mar 2007, 23:35)