OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Installing OpenWrt in Xiaomi Wifi Mini

The content of this topic has been archived between 8 Feb 2018 and 5 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

kwalsh24 wrote:

I am on PandoraBox PandoraBox R2 14.09  and it seems OK0 Strong 2/4ghz

Do you have a link ? I also want to modify the image, adding and removing packages, so I also need access to the build root.

Augustus, If you want add me on twitter @gazambuja to stay in touch, maybe we can do some work together wink

I will be make some more test this weekend and tell you if I see this messages.

BTW: anyone has ever try to install openwrt over Xiaomi MiWifi Nano? Some link to start?

augustus_meyer wrote:
gazambuja wrote:

Any news or test I will be available to make any time.

As I am doing the same, pls let me know, how your WiFi performs. My 2.4 has a lot of disconnects after couple of hours running.
Like these ones:
Tue Nov 10 09:20:41 2015 daemon.info hostapd: wlan1: STA ac:72:89:fb:22:64 IEEE 802.11: authenticated
Tue Nov 10 09:20:41 2015 daemon.info hostapd: wlan1: STA ac:72:89:fb:22:64 IEEE 802.11: associated (aid 1)
Tue Nov 10 09:20:41 2015 daemon.info hostapd: wlan1: STA ac:72:89:fb:22:64 WPA: pairwise key handshake completed (RSN)
Tue Nov 10 09:20:45 2015 daemon.info hostapd: wlan1: STA ac:72:89:fb:22:64 IEEE 802.11: authenticated
Tue Nov 10 09:20:45 2015 daemon.info hostapd: wlan1: STA ac:72:89:fb:22:64 IEEE 802.11: associated (aid 1)
Tue Nov 10 09:20:45 2015 daemon.info hostapd: wlan1: STA ac:72:89:fb:22:64 WPA: pairwise key handshake completed (RSN)
Tue Nov 10 09:20:48 2015 daemon.info hostapd: wlan1: STA ac:72:89:fb:22:64 IEEE 802.11: authenticated
Tue Nov 10 09:20:48 2015 daemon.info hostapd: wlan1: STA ac:72:89:fb:22:64 IEEE 802.11: associated (aid 1)

config wifi-device 'radio1'
        option type 'mac80211'
        option hwmode '11g'
        option path '10180000.wmac'
        option htmode 'HT20'
        option country 'DE'
        option channel '1'

config wifi-iface
        option device 'radio1'
        option network 'lan'
        option mode 'ap'
        option ssid 'blablabla'
        option encryption 'psk2+ccmp'
        option key 'zzzzzzzz'

A new boot, and connection is OK. After few hours, disconnects again.

BTW:
Any idea, whats wrong here:
Tue Nov 10 09:50:35 2015 daemon.notice netifd: radio1 (1296): command failed: Not supported (-122)

May be, my disconnects somehow are related to this reopened bug ticket:
https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/20369#comment:32

@gazambuja:
Sorry, I do not use twitter or facebook. Don't like the snooping :-)

(Last edited by augustus_meyer on 12 Nov 2015, 19:50)

augustus_meyer wrote:
kwalsh24 wrote:

I am on PandoraBox PandoraBox R2 14.09  and it seems OK0 Strong 2/4ghz

Do you have a link ? I also want to modify the image, adding and removing packages, so I also need access to the build root.

I am using the June 8th release... in which I flashed via putty from factory.   I just dont have stable 5ghz which was also an issue on factory.

http://downloads.openwrt.org.cn/Pandora … CM/stable/

kwalsh24 wrote:

I just dont have stable 5ghz which was also an issue on factory.

Interesting.
I can connect on 2.4 only without encrypt. With this one I can not connect (tried 2 devices):
config wifi-device  ra0
        option type             rt2860v2
        option hwmode           11g
        option channel          1
        option txpower          100
        option htmode           HT20
        option country          DE

config wifi-iface
        option device   ra0
        option network  lan
        option mode             ap
        option wps              pbc
        option ssid             mynet
#       option encryption       none
        option encryption       psk2
        option key              abcd1234

I do not use 5GHz.

Can you confirm ?

augustus_meyer wrote:
kwalsh24 wrote:

I just dont have stable 5ghz which was also an issue on factory.

Interesting.
I can connect on 2.4 only without encrypt. With this one I can not connect (tried 2 devices):
config wifi-device  ra0
        option type             rt2860v2
        option hwmode           11g
        option channel          1
        option txpower          100
        option htmode           HT20
        option country          DE

config wifi-iface
        option device   ra0
        option network  lan
        option mode             ap
        option wps              pbc
        option ssid             mynet
#       option encryption       none
        option encryption       psk2
        option key              abcd1234

I do not use 5GHz.

Can you confirm ?

Sorry, im new to openwrt,  not certain where to pull them values from.  I can confirm that adjusting the channel & width on my 5ghz has improved its stability... im on channel 36 & width 160.  Seems to be able to hold a strong connection on my phone... upgrading my laptop this week t support the 5ghz band to monitor the connection better...

My info was from
/etc/config/wireless.
Can you connect via 11g/AES-TKIP ?

option network 'lan'
        option mode 'ap'
        option encryption 'psk-mixed'
        option key 'abc123'
        option ssid 'Dlink-5ghz'

config wifi-device 'ra0'
        option type 'rt2860v2'
        option hwmode '11g'
        option channel 'auto'
        option txpower '100'
        option htmode 'HT40'
        option country 'CA'

config wifi-iface
        option device 'ra0'
        option mode 'ap'
        option wps 'pbc'
        option ssid 'Dlink'
        option network 'lan'
        option encryption 'psk-mixed'
        option key 'Abc123'

Havent tries AES/TKIP strictly as some of my devices havent pared well with that in the past. 

Edit: I tested all the options and it appears I can connect to any security setting on 2.4g... WPA / WPA2 / WEP {Force CCMP, TKIP & TKIP&CCMP}

Right now I just have it setup to run WPA/WPA2 mix on Auto for Cipher

(Last edited by kwalsh24 on 16 Nov 2015, 01:40)

kwalsh24 wrote:

Havent tries AES/TKIP strictly as some of my devices havent pared well with that in the past. 
Edit: I tested all the options and it appears I can connect to any security setting on 2.4g... WPA / WPA2 / WEP {Force CCMP, TKIP & TKIP&CCMP}
Right now I just have it setup to run WPA/WPA2 mix on Auto for Cipher

Thanx, I will try this one, too. Actually, I am in the process to port my setup from above to an Atheros-based openwrt, just to compare.

i've upload latest trunk build with some modifications:

-more 5GHz channels available (52,56,100,161 tested and working)
-txpower boost for RT3070 based USB adapters
-enabled channels 2312-2407MHz for ath9k_htc devices (untested)
-included openvpn,adblock-script,mwan3,dnscrypt-proxy,xl2tpd...

http://www93.zippyshare.com/v/tYcMTnLZ/file.html

Great! smile
How about 2,4GHz and 5GHz stability? I'm still on pandorabox because of this...
But I want to move on OpenWRT 15.05 because of packages and customizing of the router...

wifi is stable, it's just not at the max performance (2.4 slow reception, 5 missing some tx power)

I'm also struggling with the TX power issue. (I only use 2.4G) I hope there will be a patch to fix the problem soon. :~(

Hi,

does anyone got 802.11s working on this device ?
I think the wifi driver got problems ??

@anarchy99, this is include in the last snapshot https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots … ps/mt7620/ ?
if not, you already build the ImageBuilder? where I can download to try?

anarchy99 wrote:

i've upload latest trunk build with some modifications:

-more 5GHz channels available (52,56,100,161 tested and working)
-txpower boost for RT3070 based USB adapters
-enabled channels 2312-2407MHz for ath9k_htc devices (untested)
-included openvpn,adblock-script,mwan3,dnscrypt-proxy,xl2tpd...

http://www93.zippyshare.com/v/tYcMTnLZ/file.html

Sorry for the stupid question, but I'd rather be safe:

I have the miwifi mini with PandoraBox.

It works really fine with this firmware, besause I only use this part as an 5 GHz-accesspoint in the living room.

All my I-devices connect with over 83 Mbps - there is nothing to complain about - 100 LAN port or not.

Now a second miwifi mini is on the way to me.

I know, never touch a running system, but ... with the new  miwifi (also with preinstalled Pandora Box) I would like to test the "right" Openwrt, particularly well to install the German language pack - I've found none that works with Pandora Box.

Therefore my stupid questions:

1.)Is this version here (https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots … pgrade.bin) the right to flash from Pandora Box to OpenWRT ?

Or have to take another one ? If yes - which ?

2.) Is there in the meantime an version with luci "on board" or trunk only ?
They are known problems with install the luci-package over ssh ?

I read that I must install the kmod-mt76 to activate the 5GHz WiFi.

Sorry for questions but I just don't want to crash the part.

(Last edited by einarmiger on 1 Dec 2015, 15:09)

Grrr. I have built an image from svn a few days ago and flashed it over my previous install on Pandorabox (the reason for building my own is because I wanted Luci to be built-in). I was about to start playing with the second radio and see what I can do with the 5GHz band, when the router stopped working. It worked for a couple of days, I could configure it and whatnot, but now all of a sudden it looks like it's bricked. FWIW I didn't try to flash it again, just all of a sudden it stopped working. When I power it on, it shows at first a solid yellow light, then the light turns off, then a red light flashing. I tried to put it in failsafe mode, and at first it seemed to work as the flashing rate increased, but I can't reach it at 192.168.1.1

Short of unsoldering the flash chip, what are my options for debricking?

is easy, follow the steps to install the original dev. firmware (miniwifi.bin) and the SSH bin (miniwifi-ssh.bin) using a usb key.

stamasd wrote:

Grrr. I have built an image from svn a few days ago and flashed it over my previous install on Pandorabox (the reason for building my own is because I wanted Luci to be built-in). I was about to start playing with the second radio and see what I can do with the 5GHz band, when the router stopped working. It worked for a couple of days, I could configure it and whatnot, but now all of a sudden it looks like it's bricked. FWIW I didn't try to flash it again, just all of a sudden it stopped working. When I power it on, it shows at first a solid yellow light, then the light turns off, then a red light flashing. I tried to put it in failsafe mode, and at first it seemed to work as the flashing rate increased, but I can't reach it at 192.168.1.1

Short of unsoldering the flash chip, what are my options for debricking?

Yes, I figured it out. Thank you for the reply anyway. It's just aggravating that I have to redo the firmware flash starting with the stock... and I don't even know what went wrong in the first place.

(edit) Ugh. I flashed the original firmware, then over it pandorabox, and all was well. Then over pandorabox I flashed openwrt, and it went into blinking red again, immediately after it rebooted. I guess I'll have to setup a web server and try to flash directly openwrt over the stock firmware, after I debrick it again.

I don't understand why this happens, my compiled binary ran for a couple of days before failing, I know the file is good.

(Last edited by stamasd on 3 Dec 2015, 23:03)

stamasd wrote:

I flashed the original firmware, then over it pandorabox, and all was well. Then over pandorabox I flashed openwrt, and it went into blinking red again,
I know the file is good.

I would not bet on it. As I have gone the same route as you (org, Pandora, my own custom built openwrt-image with customized packages), I have not your problems.

stamasd wrote:

(edit) Ugh. I flashed the original firmware, then over it pandorabox, and all was well. Then over pandorabox I flashed openwrt, and it went into blinking red again, immediately after it rebooted.

First time I flashed OpenWRT firmware I had the same red blinking and thought the device is bricked. But then I tried to connect via ssh and it was fine actually, just OpenWRT uses the red led by default.

OK, at this point I think there's something wrong with the hardware. I flashed the buildbot shapshot of openwrt from 11/22/15 that I downloaded directly to the router with wget, and I get the same behavior. First blinks red at a moderate rate, then blinks red at a slow rate, then goes to solid red. If I press reset during the first blink sequence it goes to a very fast blink pattern, and remains there. It is unreachable at any address on any port in any of these states. 

The original firmware can be flashed and runs; pandorabox can be flashed and runs; but openwrt vanilla fails to flash correctly.

Nexion wrote:
stamasd wrote:

(edit) Ugh. I flashed the original firmware, then over it pandorabox, and all was well. Then over pandorabox I flashed openwrt, and it went into blinking red again, immediately after it rebooted.

First time I flashed OpenWRT firmware I had the same red blinking and thought the device is bricked. But then I tried to connect via ssh and it was fine actually, just OpenWRT uses the red led by default.

Mine was not fine. I tried to connect by several methods, there was no activity at all. I even used nmap to scan for ports.

augustus_meyer wrote:
stamasd wrote:

I flashed the original firmware, then over it pandorabox, and all was well. Then over pandorabox I flashed openwrt, and it went into blinking red again,
I know the file is good.

I would not bet on it. As I have gone the same route as you (org, Pandora, my own custom built openwrt-image with customized packages), I have not your problems.

Like I said, I had already used that compiled binary on the same router and it worked for a couple of days. Then I powered it down to move it to another location, and that's when the trouble started. Now the same file that worked before won't work.

BTW, how do you copy files with scp to the default firmware on this router after getting ssh access? When I try, I get

~ash: tftp-server not found

BTW I have 3 of these routers, and only one is giving me this amount of trouble.

(Last edited by stamasd on 4 Dec 2015, 14:00)

If I can figure out how to open the case without damaging it, I plan on replacing the flash chip with another one. I'm thinking the original flash chip may be going bad.

I figured out that there are 2 screws under the label on the bottom of the case - lift both ends of the label and you can remove those, then the case opens easily.

However getting the flash chip out is a completely different matter. I am experienced in soldering/desoldering SMD components, but this chip doesn't allow me to desolder it. I think that in addition to being soldered it has also been glued to the PCB, as even while heating all pins on one side to the point where the solder should be melted, I can't even insert the corner of a razor blade between the chip and the PCB. I think they went the extra mile in preventing unsoldering of the flash. I don't think it will be possible to remove the chip without destroying it... and the PCB as well, possibly. sad

you have old config somewhere or some fw problem dont desoldier anything