OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Support for Marvell 88F5xx81 based routers

The content of this topic has been archived between 18 Jan 2014 and 6 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

maddes.b wrote:

@plastinka:
What if you enable HW mode N? Most people want to use the router at its full capacity.

Hmmm... I've been asking myself the same question!
Unfortunately I own no dot11n client HW (yet).
Would it make much sense testing dot11n-mode with dot11g client HW?

BTW: Does the LED patch work? I would like to use it to indicate some change of state like inet up/down.

maddes.b: could you please compile a new release of your img for wrt350nv2 with squashfs? I have no serial cable (is it needed really?) to test ramdisk images, and the current openwrt build from trunk (as of 17 Jan) completely locks the network interfaces when enabling wifi (using luci).
Thanks

To load a ramdisk build you need access to the U-Boot console for the TFTP commands, all before Linux starts.
I access U-Boot via serial cable, maybe it can be accessed with JTAG too.

Flashing new versions for testing is a dangerous way.
I still have r17264 flashed and test only ramdisk builds via TFTP boot.
I removed all other squashfs builds from FTP space.

You can always compile your own build, just look at post #300.
Setup a virtual machine (1-2h) once, then compile (1-2h) each build.
You can still PM me if you real want/need a new squashfs build and the snapshot build from OpenWrt is not working.

Maddes

@plastinka:
Sure testing this helps, if it crashes in N mode with G devices connecting, then the N mode is broken.
Maybe then reverting back to G mode could be a solution for everybody to have a stable running current build.

Test scenarios:
G mode with G device
G mode with N device (should be the same as above)
N mode with G device
N mode with N device

(Last edited by maddes.b on 21 Jan 2010, 20:16)

maddes.b wrote:

@plastinka:
Sure testing this helps, if it crashes in N mode with G devices connecting, then the N mode is broken.
Maybe then reverting back to G mode could be a solution for everybody to have a stable running current build.

Test scenarios:
G mode with G device
G mode with N device (should be the same as above)
N mode with G device
N mode with N device

Soooo... My router now operates in dotN mode. (ieee80211n=1)
I just finished a one hour "stability" test using iperf: 0.0-3600.7 sec  7.63 GBytes  18.2 Mbits/sec

The Router is placed in the attic, the client (Datacask Netbook)  in the basement!

So far, "N mode with G device" seems to be as stable as "G mode with G device".

Till now I was not able to crash the router.:)

@plastinka:
Do you use a mini+tun build? Or a release build?
Thanks for testing.

Tested myself the current build, see #614, again a mini+tun build works as expected, but a full release build crashes with a kernel panic.

(Last edited by maddes.b on 22 Jan 2010, 20:44)

r19265 mini+tun from maddes.b works well, switched to wifi  'n' mode - testing stability now. Router is only 50cm from the notebook but cannot get (reported) speed above 120Mb/s.
My laptop's wifi card is: Intel(R) WiFi Link 5300 AGN, driver ver 12.4.1.4

btw: cannot get luci to work (no problems found with official build), x-wrt works well.

(Last edited by domadm on 23 Jan 2010, 16:16)

* For Wifi N:
Throughput is not only depending on how close they stand together, but how good both stand in the radio waves of the others (antenna direction, etc.). Other disturbing WLANs from your neighbours can be a factor too.
Additionally software drivers and hardware performance of the PC can also be a factor.

I suggest, as WLAN is not a cable (which I prefer): if you get a much higher throughput in N mode than in G mode, just be happy. (just my two euro cents)

* For luci you have to install several packages:
luci-admin-mini (always)
luci-admin-full
luci-theme-openwrt (you can later change to another theme)

For additional functions there are "luci-app-..." packages.
Use "opkg update" (only once), then "opkg list | grep luci" to see all available luci packages.

Btw:
nbd already updated mac80211 and hostapd again smile

(Last edited by maddes.b on 23 Jan 2010, 16:35)

With the help of nbd I found the package that causes the kernel panics: kmod-ipsec
Updated all information how to compile a working release build on my web space.
A "release minus ipsec" build (release-ipsec) is available for testing.
nbd will try to find out what's wrong when kmod-ipsec is selected for the build.

(Last edited by maddes.b on 3 Apr 2010, 17:30)

maddes.b wrote:

With the help of nbd I found the package that causes the kernel panics: kmod-ipsec

Hi,

I haven't tested a release bulid yet.
maddes.b could you explain this in a little more detail please? Is this related to the wifi crashes? (Just curious)

BTW: I'm (still) using your r18417-webupgrade build. The version which mysteriously disappeared from you ftp-server;)
I just replaced the wifi modules. I'm going to buy a serial cable to safely test my own builds.

I read the first 300 posts: quite a story!

* release build:
same config used as for official OpenWrt builds, this means "build all packages" is selected.

* mini build:
no extra packages selected at all.

My naming conventions:
If I remove something then I add it to the image name with a minus, e.g. "release-ipsec"
If I add something then I add it to the image name with a plus, e.g. "mini+tun".
An unchanged release config does not have any specialities in its name.
How I do this is documented in my build information mentioned in my previous post.

@plastinka:
The first 300 posts are just history to get WRT350Nv2 running at all.
The posts after #300 are the ones about building a stable release. Keep going big_smile

(Last edited by maddes.b on 27 Jan 2010, 16:14)

Ok, I got to ask again: What's the deal with kmod-ipsec? What does trigger the crash? Just selecting ipsec in the kernel config  or loading/using the module?

The cause is now in the ticket.

It happens when kmod-ipsec is just selected in the kernel config.

maddes.b wrote:

It happens when kmod-ipsec is just selected in the kernel config.

Ah ok, thanks for clearing this up.

amazing.

Using your latest build maddes.b, my wireless transfers are 7Megabytes per second, which is quicker than the stock Linksys 2.00.20 (@ around 6) with an Intel WiFi 5100 client. All I've changed on the router besides pppoe is encryption=psk2 and channel=01
My client is connected at 130mbps. Now to get it cranking at 300...

Gotta test gigabit lan now...

EDIT:

ahhh, stupid neighbours:

root@OpenWrt:~# /etc/init.d/network restart

20/40 MHz operation not permitted on channel pri=9 sec=5 based on overlapping BSSes

It wont let me enable 40mhz because of other networks around...

(Last edited by bigjezza on 29 Jan 2010, 11:40)

nbd posted a fix/workaround for the alignment issues in r19387 and r19388.
Will wait for Monday to build the next release squashfs build so that the changes of this weekend are also incorporated.
Ramdisk of r19392 is build and available for testing.

(Last edited by maddes.b on 30 Jan 2010, 07:10)

I have read the last 10 pages, but I think i have to little knowledge to flash my WRT350N.
Will their ever be a newbie version, that can be flashed form the stock firmware without too much risks?

@FutureCow:
WRT350Nv2 support is not official yet.
Your question shows that you are not ready yet for Linux on your router.
Please read the complete thread thoroughly starting at page #12 and all your questions will be answered.

(Last edited by maddes.b on 3 Apr 2010, 17:32)

I uploaded new builds of r19446 plus changed to kernel 2.6.32 incl. Orion watchdog and Orion encryption engine.
Would be great if some of you could test it, especially other devices than WRT350Nv2.
The patch for kernel 2.6.32 is also uploaded to my ftp space.

Btw the next snapshot build of the OpenWrt should be useable again.

Maddes

(Last edited by maddes.b on 7 Apr 2010, 19:41)

Thank you maddes - I am testing it now smile

btw: from last and current release I can't get luci to work fully: there are no Services, and no Network options working. X-wrt does fine.

1.) Thanks to domadm, I recognized a problem with my image:
opkg.conf doesn't point to my package repository for the 2.6.32 packages. Please change the first lines of it to:

src/gz snapshots http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/$S/packages
src/gz Maddes ftp://ftp.maddes.net/openwrt/kamikaze/orion/packages_2.6.32

2.) domadm was missing the luci-admin-mini package, that's why luci didn't work for him.

3.) Will create new builds with the latest mac80211 patches and opkg fixed.

(Last edited by maddes.b on 1 Feb 2010, 18:11)

1.maddes, something goes wrong with your 19489 build:

root@OpenWrt:~# opkg install openvpn
Installing openvpn (2.1.0-1) to root...
Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/orion/packages/openvpn_2.1.0-1_orion.ipk.
Installing libopenssl (0.9.8l-2) to root...
Downloading ftp://ftp.maddes.net/openwrt/kamikaze/orion/packages_2.6.32/libopenssl_0.9.8l-2_orion.ipk.
Segmentation fault

2. have you got the wifi led working?

EDIT:
Switched back to rel 19446 which seems to be very stable

(Last edited by domadm on 1 Feb 2010, 23:47)

Hy, i have a wrt350n v2.1 from linksys which is bricked, i searched and searched for a method to debrick it ,but i didn't managed to find one, which could explain step by step what to do, i'm searching for 5 day's now, i read a lot of post's, tried a lot of methods but my router is still bricked, could someone help me with a good tutorial on how to get it de-bricked, i would pretty much appreciate it, and i'm willing to make a donation if it is necessary. So i'm asking nicely, please help me get it de-bricked. I have a Jtag cable which manages to identify my processor to Marvell Feroceon 88F5181 but it doesn't recognizes my flash chip. for now i used EJTAG Debrick Utility  v3.0.1 with a standard Jtag 20 pin to lpt cable soldered directly to my router board. i Have 3 PC's , one with Ubuntu 9.04, one with Win XP, and one with Win 7. all of them have lpt 25 pin connector. Please HELP, i'm desperate

iancu91, please read this thread to find how to put your WRT350N into Download Mode and use Upgrade Utility to load a new image into the router.
good luck!

(Last edited by domadm on 2 Feb 2010, 16:17)