OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Linksys WRT610N

The content of this topic has been archived between 6 Feb 2018 and 1 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

I will upload the firmware and the modules somewhere once i've finish building the whole kit.

Sounds nice- maybe we can finally do something with this, my previous build's only connectivity to outside world was serial smile

Like i said, here's an almost perfectly working build for the WRT610N (V1)

Ok... First the disclamer, you're on your own with this, absolutly no support and don't complain if it eat your dog, brick your router or anything else... I am just making this avalable because i hope it can help, but it may pretty much do the exact opposite...

Before even thinking installing this in your wrt610n, backup everything twice, install a serial interface, and do anything elsse imaginable to be able to return your router to a good working state...

What is include in this firmware :

Lan/Wan port works perfectly (so far, i didn't tested it much, but i get gigabit speeds)
WiFi 2.4Ghz work in B/G mode.
WiFi 5Ghz doesn't work (it work like a second 2.4Ghz interface in B/G mode with a bad anteina)
USB 2 work (The firmware build i made has everything needed to access USB storage formatted in ext2/3/4 Fat or NTFS)
LuCi is build-in too.

I have two images avalable :

http://openwrt.beaupre.biz/attitude_adj … uashfs.bin
http://openwrt.beaupre.biz/attitude_adj … -jffs2.bin

Unless you know what you're doing, use the squashfs one.

Once it's installed you will need to change one setting in /etc/opkg.conf if you want to be able to install kernel modules for this build :

Locate the src/gz line (normally the firsst line) and change it to :

src/gz attitude_adjustment http://openwrt.beaupre.biz/attitude_adj … x/packages

Or, leave the original one there and add a second one under it looking like this :

src/gz attitude_adjustment_r34879 http://openwrt.beaupre.biz/attitude_adj … x/packages

It doesn't change much if you do the first or second method, almost all packages are avalable in my build repository (there is 3 package missing : appweb, telepathy-python and logtrigger, because they gave me some errors and it was really not a priority for me to fix the errors in those packages)

I hope this can be helpful...

Hywkar, these are really good news for the new year.
I presume (DISTRIB_CODENAME="barrier_breaker") you are talking about the bleeding edge forthcoming 13.* release.
Anyway, I'd like to suggest you to contact the OpenWRT maintaniers in order to get your work both merged with the mainstream and to get your deserved kudos by everyone, like me.
Many thanks for your great job (I'll test it as soon as my job will allow) and may you get a wonderful 2013.

uqbar wrote:

Hywkar, these are really good news for the new year.
I presume (DISTRIB_CODENAME="barrier_breaker") you are talking about the bleeding edge forthcoming 13.* release.
Anyway, I'd like to suggest you to contact the OpenWRT maintaniers in order to get your work both merged with the mainstream and to get your deserved kudos by everyone, like me.
Many thanks for your great job (I'll test it as soon as my job will allow) and may you get a wonderful 2013.

No, it is based on Attitude Adjustment, i'm still working on Barrier Breaker, and i have fill several bugs to merge my changes with the official trunk. I'm still working on Barrier Breaker, and I hope i can make it work soon too.

I have Linksys WRT610N ver2 with stock firmware and I want to add support for the following features:
1. UDP to HTTP Proxy.
2. VPN server (OpenVPN or PPTP).
What firmware should I install?

tomatousb, as no openwrt builds are available so far

maurer wrote:

tomatousb, as no openwrt builds are available so far

Thank you very much! I will dig further in that direction.

Hi all, what's the recommended build to use on a WRT610Nv1 right now? The hardware compatibility lists recommends backfire/10.03.1/brcm-2.4, but Hywkar suggests the attitude_adjustment/r34879/brcm47xx one, and I'm a bit confused by this.

Kerio wrote:

Hi all, what's the recommended build to use on a WRT610Nv1 right now? The hardware compatibility lists recommends backfire/10.03.1/brcm-2.4, but Hywkar suggests the attitude_adjustment/r34879/brcm47xx one, and I'm a bit confused by this.

Don't think there's a recommended build for the WRT610Nv1. I have been able to build r34879 with the good drivers for lan and wlan (2.4g only). Now i'm trying to make Barrier_Breaker work too. And i may have something out this weekend (or not... will see how it build). But it's not going to be a fully functionnal build. The 5Ghz radio will probably still be a mess...

I see, thanks sad

Can't the 5GHz radio drivers be taken from dd-wrt? The second radio works somewhat fine with their build.

I've been running 3 WRT610n V1 with DD-WRT for some years which I'm now gradually replacing with TP-LINK devices running OpenWrt (a WDR 4900, a WDR 4300 and a 1043ND). I'm now taking one of the 610ns for toying around with OpenWrt, too. My eventual goal is to use it as a Switch and a USB printer server and USB smart card reading device, without using the WLAN functionality. The 610n has CFE V 1.0.37.

I've tried both Hywkar's image (thanks for that!) and a custom Barrier Breaker trunk build (r36237).

So far, I've noticed the following:

a) Switch port 1 just does not work at all as soon as the roboswitch driver is loaded -- it seems to be completely deactivated, no link is established. The port works fine from within the CFE, though.

b) The Luci switch configuration seems to have the CPU port wrong -- assumes that this is 5, whereas it's 8 for some reason. Thus saving the switch config once yields a port config of "0 1 2 3 5t*", making the switch inaccessible from the CPU and requiring a console to reset this to "0 1 2 3 4 8t*"

Best Regards,
Olli

owagner wrote:

a) Switch port 1 just does not work at all as soon as the roboswitch driver is loaded -- it seems to be completely deactivated, no link is established. The port works fine from within the CFE, though.

Now entered here: https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/13315

owagner wrote:

b) The Luci switch configuration seems to have the CPU port wrong -- assumes that this is 5, whereas it's 8 for some reason. Thus saving the switch config once yields a port config of "0 1 2 3 5t*", making the switch inaccessible from the CPU and requiring a console to reset this to "0 1 2 3 4 8t*"

This appears to be due to the missing "swconfig" utility -- Luci's VLAN config will default the cpu port to 5 in this case.

swconfig itself builds, but apparently doesn't work ("Failed to connect to the switch")

Olli

Hello everyone,

Is there anything new on this topic? I see that in the official openwrt WRT610n page (http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/linksys/wrt610n) the build trunk r36099 is supported for the wrt610n V1. Will it really work on my WRT610nV1 (apart from the 5GHz band)?

I'm asking this because I already tried to flash it and it bricked my router... Maybe I did something stupid but I want to be sure that the build won't brick it again if I try once more. It was a real pain to unbrick it and I want to be very careful now. Can I flash it directly from the official linksys firmware or do I have to flash something else before?

Thanks for your answers,

I flashed barrier breaker (r36944) onto my v1 router, and it runs with only two issues.  Port 1 is still disabled as per Ollis bug report, and I haven't been able to get 40Mhz channels working correctly.  I am using the proprietary wl driver because I needed the 5Ghz channels, so the version I'm running is one I compiled myself so I didn't have the drivers (or many of the packages) I didn't need compiled in.  But I did try flashing the trunk build and it did boot directly.  I flashed it originally using the recovery page, detailed here http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Li … ricking.29 however at some point when I was experimenting with various builds, the recovery page became unresponsive.  Luckily I had a serial interface handy so I was able to connect that up, interrupt the boot process and manually put it into tftp mode.  Having a serial interface is a pretty handy safety net, so I do recommend having one before you flash it.

(Last edited by Knasher on 8 Jul 2013, 16:05)

OpenWrt trunk versions do work on the WRT610Nv1, as mentioned with the exception of LAN1.

If you use b43, both radios only support 2.4 GHz and up to 54 MBit/s (due to the 5 GHz antennas, the second (5 GHz) radio only offers a weak signal and I would avoid using it); 802.11n performance is not possible.

I've just tested the latest trunk snapshot from http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/ … uashfs.bin
I installed it from the OEM firmware site...

But then nothing is happening... the network is never coming up.
Nothing appear to ever received my ping on 192.168.1.1...

I've been able with this version to boot in failsafe... then tried to modified some parameters in the /etc/config/network file, after having done a mount_root...
But it doesn't seem it is changing anything... (like I moved from the switch port name from 5 to 8, as I had in a previous old version)...

Do you also have those kind of problem?

Built openwrt git current yesterday. For a wrt610n v0 (same as v1 software-wise).

There's 2 real issues for it.
- Free b43 driver doesn't support HT (11n) modes. Non-free wl works fine (stopgap), but isn't free.
- Ethernet switch port 1 stuck in slow mode: https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/13315

Otherwise it's fine, besides a nag (control of LEDs in the device isn't supported... probably trivial to fix).

Router used to run ddwrt before this.

Interesting. Seems there is a new patch for N mode on broadcom-wl (non-free i guess?)

I am trying to understand why there is such a gap in capability between DDWRT and OpenWrt. 

After reading the posts here I am under the impression the users posted in the later part of this thread had trouble with the BackFire build ( it bricked there router ) , I am assuming that they used -

http://downloads.openwrt.org/backfire/10.03.1/brcm47xx/

To remedy this Hywkar compiled the build himself and so kindly posted it.  However, it lacks 5GHZ support, which is soley why I use this router.

DDWRT builds from 2008 support 5GHZ band.  I am unsure why this isnt avaible with OpenWrt out of the box, it is mentioned here and in the Wiki that you can use wl but you have to compile it yourself.

Which version of the broadcom-wl driver is everyone trying to use with this router?

owagner wrote:

That appears to be fixed in current trunk builds, btw.

owagner wrote:
owagner wrote:

This appears to be due to the missing "swconfig" utility -- Luci's VLAN config will default the cpu port to 5 in this case.

swconfig itself builds, but apparently doesn't work ("Failed to connect to the switch")

Olli

Does anyone know how to recover from this without building a serial cable?

If you have a (factory-) firmware smaller than 3'412'000 bytes (current trunk snapshots, without LuCI, might fit - the vendor firmware, OpenWrt releases or -rcs including LuCI do not), tftp should work. If it fails, go with the serial option (see https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=51530 for details).

(Last edited by slh on 21 Aug 2014, 20:39)