OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: New Release Candidate

The content of this topic has been archived between 15 Apr 2018 and 2 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Is this still part of the news release?  hmm

Can you also provide a binary build for ASUS WL-500g Premium v1 (Atheros WiFi) with final 8.09?

It is a quite common platform, it would be nice to have a binary build for it.

See also:
https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/4191

Thanks

Try to build by it by yourself. Building OpenWrt from source using the build-system is easy.

(Last edited by Yanira on 11 Nov 2008, 10:46)

Congratulatons!!!
Will test it on my Atheros71xx,RB532,IXP4xx,Linksys now.

(Last edited by xxiao on 11 Nov 2008, 17:20)

Excelent the first proper release for AR7 platforms.
Is there any information on if there is support for the Netopia 3347NWG? I would love to try get this working on it but a indication towards if it is working at all on the platform would be helpful.

loyukfai wrote:

Tested on a WBR2-G54...

Broadcom 47xx based routers (Linux 2.4) - Works
Broadcom 47xx based routers (Linux 2.6) - Doesn't Work

Besides wifi not working, I found that DHCP client on the wan interface didn't worked either with the 2.6 kernel on my WRT54G (v2).
I can see the DHCP req packet and it sends the reply, but the wan interface does't pick it up!

2.4 kernel works great though...luci interface is just a bit slow though. sad

Working on my Asus AAM6020VI which is AR7 based.

Just need WPA2 support for the Wifi ACX100 wireless chipset and I'm sorted.

* Wireless no longer supported on older Broadcom devices (bcm4710/bcm94702)

What does that mean for me with my Netgear WGT634U with Atheros MiniPCI wireless?

I installed 8.09 RC1 on my Netgear WGT634U but wireless does not work!!  The /etc/config/wireless file is 0 bytes.  I thought the Broadcom problem was broadcom wireless on a 2.6 Kernel and since the WGT634U has an Atheros MiniPCI wireless it is ok.

This guy here seems to have it working:
http://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=17638

Confused - scratches head - reaches for serial cable...

Hi.

Maybe you need to install "kmod-madwifi"? Zero-Byte wireless config usually means that no device was found (no appropriate driver loaded).

~ JoW

Thanks Jow.  That worked.  The /etc/config/wireless file is now bigger and a WIFI0 device appeared in LuCI

In the interest of completness i must report the switch config for the vlan is wrong.
vlan0    1 2 3 4 5*
vlan1    0 5

Port 4 is labeled as i(internet) and Port 0 is labeled as 1(first wired client) on the router.  I will try out a bug report later.

Thx also @ Yanira

(Last edited by deChrLam on 14 Nov 2008, 21:03)

root@OpenWrt:~# opkg install kmod-madwifi
root@OpenWrt:~# rm -rf /etc/config/wireless
root@OpenWrt:~# wifi detect > /etc/config/wireless

So can anyone verify if RC1 (2.6 kernel) both wifi and routing  works on WRT54G routers?

If possible, I'd rather use the 2.6 kernel.

xboy wrote:

So can anyone verify if RC1 (2.6 kernel) both wifi and routing  works on WRT54G routers?

It ran great first try on a WRT54GSv3 (a larger memory version of the WRT54Gv4 / WRT54GL hardware).

I ran it *only* as an AP which means I had to load hostapd (I used -mini).  I also installed ntpclient.  Only AES WPA was tried (psk2) with my standard 63-character key.  I specifically kept a client pinging constantly for about 3 hours.

This was my first look at LuCI and just for fun I used it exclusively.  I'm quite impressed even though the txpower defaults to 27dbm... gawd that's high for me - I run more like 7dbm. :-)

mazilo wrote:
openmedia wrote:

Working well on my single port Fonera.

With or without asterisk?

Without. I haven't tried asterisk under OpenWRT yet.

Thanks to the openwrt team for their great job !

I've tried 8.09 rc1 kernel 2.6.x on a wrt54glv1.1 yesterday.

Here are the results so far :
- Install & Flash ok
- first boot ok
- ethernet ports ok
- WiFi connexion with hostap mini :
     + connection in 802.11g mode + wap psk ok : I was able to connect client PCs
     x Unable to make the card work in 802.11b mode (is this normal ?) or in mixed mode which means that I could not connect to my 802.11b clients
     x Bad performance : connection was very slow compared to whiterussian or to kamikaze 7.09
     x Under heavy load (video streaming), the connection hangs for a few seconds before restarting again (most of the time it restarts).

Since I needed to connect 802.11b clients and needed radvd to work (radvd has been broken in the latest kamikaze 7.09 with kernel 2.4.x), I moved back to whiterussian for now but will be glad to give 8.09 another try later on if you want some new feedback.

Hi lillepingu.

Perhaps you should give the brcm-2.4 variant a try next time you test. It still uses the proprietary broadcom driver which has more features than the new b43 driver.

~ JoW

Hi Jow,
Yep, I thought about it but the problem is that I read in the dev forums that radvd was also broken in 8.09 with kernel 2.4 and I would also like to use some conntracking module for IPv6 which are only available in kernel 2.6.

Thanks for the advice anyway.

I took one of my LaFonera FON2100 and flashed with this Kamikaze-8.09-rc1 + asterisk14_1.4.21-1_mips.ipk and this is what I got (as expected) after a reboot:

root@192.168.1.1's password: 

BusyBox v1.11.2 (2008-10-07 13:44:59 UTC) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

_______                     ________        __
 |       |.-----.-----.-----.|  |  |  |.----.|  |_
 |   -   ||  _  |  -__|     ||  |  |  ||   _||   _|
 |_______||   __|_____|__|__||________||__|  |____|
          |__| W I R E L E S S   F R E E D O M
 KAMIKAZE (8.09, r13118) ----------------------------
  * 10 oz Vodka       Shake well with ice and strain
  * 10 oz Triple sec  mixture into 10 shot glasses.
  * 10 oz lime juice  Salute!
 ---------------------------------------------------
root@OpenWrt:~# 
root@OpenWrt:~# rasterisk
Asterisk 1.4.21, Copyright (C) 1999 - 2008 Digium, Inc. and others.
Created by Mark Spencer <markster@digium.com>
Asterisk comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; type 'core show warranty' for details.
This is free software, with components licensed under the GNU General Public
License version 2 and other licenses; you are welcome to redistribute it under
certain conditions. Type 'core show license' for details.
=========================================================================
Unable to connect to remote asterisk (does /var/run/asterisk.ctl exist?)
root@OpenWrt:~# ps
  PID USER       VSZ STAT COMMAND
    1 root      1956 S    init       
    2 root         0 SW<  [kthreadd]
    3 root         0 SW<  [ksoftirqd/0]
    4 root         0 SW<  [events/0]
    5 root         0 SW<  [khelper]
   26 root         0 SW<  [kblockd/0]
   53 root         0 SW   [pdflush]
   54 root         0 SW   [pdflush]
   55 root         0 SW<  [kswapd0]
   56 root         0 SW<  [aio/0]
   72 root         0 SW<  [mtdblockd]
  280 root         0 SWN  [jffs2_gcd_mtd3]
  292 root      1956 S    logger -s -p 6 -t  
  295 root      1956 S    init       
  306 root      1968 S    syslogd -C16 
  308 root      1948 S    klogd 
  320 root      1132 S    /sbin/hotplug2 --override --persistent --max-children
  683 root      3932 S    //usr/sbin/asterisk -C /etc/asterisk/asterisk.conf 
  684 root      3932 S    //usr/sbin/asterisk -C /etc/asterisk/asterisk.conf 
  686 root      3932 S    //usr/sbin/asterisk -C /etc/asterisk/asterisk.conf 
  692 root      1936 S    /usr/sbin/dropbear -p 22 
  697 root      1952 S    /usr/sbin/httpd -p 80 -h /www -r OpenWrt 
  723 nobody    1276 S    /usr/sbin/dnsmasq -K -D -y -Z -b -E -s lan -S /lan/ -
  730 root      1948 S    watchdog -t 5 /dev/watchdog 
  733 root      1992 R    /usr/sbin/dropbear -p 22 
  734 root      1964 S    -ash 
  736 root      1956 R    ps 

The above ps shows only three asterisk processes. Trying to launch rasterisk ends up with Unable to connect to remote asterisk (does /var/run/asterisk.ctl exist?). These behaviors correspond to the issues pointed out in one of the links on my previous post. Unless someone fixes the uClibc-0.9.29, I am not sure if there is a way one can run asterisk on a Kamikaze distro. So far, I have to revert to uClibc-0.9.28.2 in order to run asterisk on my LaFonera FON2100 with openWRT SVN codes. I hope OpenWRT developers can spend some of their invaluable time to fix this issue related to asterisk before they decide release Kamikaze-8.09 distro.

Bill_MI wrote:
xboy wrote:

It ran great first try on a WRT54GSv3 (a larger memory version of the WRT54Gv4 / WRT54GL hardware).

I ran it *only* as an AP which means I had to load hostapd (I used -mini).  I also installed ntpclient.  Only AES WPA was tried (psk2) with my standard 63-character key.  I specifically kept a client pinging constantly for about 3 hours.

This was my first look at LuCI and just for fun I used it exclusively.  I'm quite impressed even though the txpower defaults to 27dbm... gawd that's high for me - I run more like 7dbm. :-)

Hmm WRT54Gv4 is different than WRT54Gv2.

So can anyone tell me if the 2.6 kernel works with wifi and routing on WRT54Gv2??  If so, how to get it working?

(Last edited by xboy on 18 Nov 2008, 22:02)

For asterisk and uclibc 0.9.29. I found a solution by using a patch that I found on busybox development. I posted the details to: https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/4071
I did a quick try on an installation and I can access the control interface using asterisk -r. Since I'm not comfortable in openwrt development, I hope someone else adds the patch to it ;-)

OK here we go. I am running on an AMD DBSC1100 development board, AMD Geode (x86 compatible, 266MHz.) It has scx200, 8139too, and some other jammies. I have a bcm43x card (haven't got THAT working yet...) Here's my other initial observations.

My cdrom was not detected, and there is no usb-storage driver included in the base install, nor usb support in the kernel. So I had no choice but to put a disk on my PC and load files on to it, and then attach this to my system. However, I want to run the system from a USB stick, which for most PCs and for this system is the most reasonable way to go for a firewall appliance. Unfortunately, there's no way to have a USB root without making an initrd. Scary!

Making a ppp connection is kind of confusing. You either need to understand how to specify a phone number to pppd, or how to use chat. Then you have to install chat, and write a chatscript, and use the #! token to make sh feed your chatscript to chat, because you can't specify options with quotes in the web config for ppp. So if you have say a serial modem on a usb interface you are going to need a super boat smile load of packages just to make a ppp connection. I know us poor modem users are the third-worlders of the modern age, but the majority of the planet is still covered only by dialup.

All in all the new interface is about a trillion times better than trying to use the unfinished interface. I guess my most serious complaints are about ppp configuration, and the need for usb storage (and all that entails) in the kernel, or an initrd supporting same, for the x86 platform. More pppd options should be supported (without having to just use the custom options field.)

Oh yeah! What I REALLY want to know is, since the system is using grub and a 2.6 kernel, why not use root=UUID=... instead of /dev/hda2 on x86? Please.

All in all, of course, I'm grateful! Keep up the good work.

Woops! found some more things to complain about smile I also need b43legacy (which I know is unfinished - problems with AP/Master mode due to related software) and I believe that the opkg list should be retained through reboots by default. (It's easy enough to change, but again for modem users this is a problematic default.)

(Last edited by drinkypoo on 21 Nov 2008, 01:52)

hey, i use an wgt634u. which package to take, does it work "out of the box" for that little squid? ;-).

and it asks me for a password (in downloads, wiki, etc. just an .htaccess question...)
whats about that? O.o

@DeusExMachina
Just use the usual bcm4xxx-2.6/wgt634u.bin for the WGT. It's running fine here.
About the .htaccess stuff. I think they're upgrading something here. wiki.openwrt.org is PW-protected also (and was not available this afternoon either, just answering with some message about upgrades going on)

Regards,
Patrick

(Last edited by EvilDevil on 21 Nov 2008, 17:27)

Some more observations: looks like ppp "usepeerdns" option defaults 1 on get instead of 0, so even when it's turned off, it's turned on.I forget what file I made the change in smile

Also, there is no kmod package for cdrom, so you cannot mount a CDROM.

Also, there is no ieee1394 module, so you cannot use firewire. I'd like to use firewire storage devices. (USB2 sucks CPU! IEEE1394 doesn't. Very important on slow-CPU PC filesharing devices.)

Also, the samba3 package depended upon by the luci samba package does not have nmbd, only smbd. Could we get a nmbd package? Or nmbd added to samba3 package?

Finally, some issues with ext2: the root fs is often not properly unmounted. e2fsck is needed. I installed it, but I'm not sure where to put it to have it run properly at boot. (I put it in /etc/preinit.arch) And the filesystem is mostly empty, so if the .image file were compressed instead of being served naked, it would be vastly smaller. mod_gzip won't do, because it doesn't permit resume.

Looks like the website (downloads and wiki) is back.