OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Trendnet TEW-632BRP, TEW-652BRP, DLink DIR-615 C1, CC WLN2206 working!

The content of this topic has been archived between 29 Mar 2018 and 29 Apr 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Eri Hyva wrote:

Is it possible to check from the firmware, is rev D Atheros AP81 based?

It is not as far as the review I did on IRC #OpenWrt with someone.  it is RALINK chipset, nothing in common.

Thanks RoundSparrow, I'll forget the DIR-615, then.

I'll move on to TEW-652BRP. Maybe I buy that, then.

In some threads there have been complaints about heat issues with TEW-652BRP.

Can TEW-652BRP handle my 24/1 ADSL 2+ line at 24 Mb/s? Hundreds of connections at the same time.

Or does it fall all over me?

Cheers

Eri Hyva wrote:

Can TEW-652BRP handle my 24/1 ADSL 2+ line at 24 Mb/s? Hundreds of connections at the same time.

I opened my TEW-652BRP and installed RAM heatsinks to both Atheros chips (14x14mm sized 9 mm thick Enzotech copper heatsinks).
At the same time also I cut some airflow-blocking plastic away inside the opened box in order to improve ventilation (marked with red).
I also keep it sideways (on edge), so that the heated air rises to the vents on the side. (I learned that trick with DI-524, which included nice feet to help keeping it standing on side.)

So far it has served the P2P load on a 10/1 Mbit/s cable connection just fine.

Images taken before and after the modifications:
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i272/hnyman/th_TEW652BRP.jpg  http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i272/hnyman/th_TEW652BRP_modified.jpg

Ps. Seeing that you are from Finland: I couldn't find DIR-615C in Finland, so I bought Trendnet from Pixmania and RAM heatsinks from Jimmspc)

(Last edited by hnyman on 20 Mar 2009, 20:55)

hnyman wrote:
Eri Hyva wrote:

I opened my TEW-652BRP and installed RAM heatsinks to both Atheros chips (14x14mm sized 9 mm thick Enzotech copper heatsinks).

Hi guys, it sounds a bit more techy to me to have the box open-up and do this kind of hardware-operation to keep the router's temp cool. Have anyone tested simply by putting it upside-down so the air-vents will be on the top and on two sides; which may maintain better air circulation (cool air coming in from the sides and hot air going out from the top?)? I just thought of throwing this out, as I don't know how can I test this over-heating issue that folks are raising concern with. Thanks.

123 wrote:

Hi guys, it sounds a bit more techy to me to have the box open-up and do this kind of hardware-operation to keep the router's temp cool. Have anyone tested simply by putting it upside-down so the air-vents will be on the top and on two sides; which may maintain better air circulation

The circuit board fills the whole box, and the holes in the bottom are useless in my mind as they are on the other side than chips. Being upside down, the chips would be just below the circuit board and the airvents would be on other side of the board. That might be the best way to heat the chips ;-)

Opening the box is easy as there are just 4 normal screws. No tricks needed. And RAM heatsinks come with thermal tape, so the process is very easy.

Maybe I am being too overcautious in doing that, but my DI-524 froze a few times last summer during heavy usage. After all, all these small "routers" are computers with CPUs, and as the needed processing power grows along the transmission speeds, the produced heat amount grows too. Manufacturers seem to cut corners by not attaching any heatsinks at factory.

(Last edited by hnyman on 21 Mar 2009, 09:45)

hnyman wrote:
123 wrote:

Hi guys, it sounds a bit more techy to me to have the box open-up and do this kind of hardware-operation to keep the router's temp cool. Have anyone tested simply by putting it upside-down so the air-vents will be on the top and on two sides; which may maintain better air circulation

The circuit board fills the whole box, and the holes in the bottom are useless in my mind as they are on the other side than chips. Being upside down, the chips would be just below the circuit board and the airvents would be on other side of the board. That might be the best way to heat the chips ;-)

Opening the box is easy as there are just 4 normal screws. No tricks needed. And RAM heatsinks come with thermal tape, so the process is very easy.

Maybe I am being too overcautious in doing that, but my DI-524 froze a few times last summer during heavy usage. After all, all these small "routers" are computers with CPUs, and as the needed processing power grows along the transmission speeds, the produced heat amount grows too. Manufacturers seem to cut corners by not attaching any heatsinks at factory.

Thanks hnyman for your response. I'll keep this in mind as a solution if I ever get my 652brp forzen/irresponsive due to over-heating. I'm also expecting the over-heating issue might get resolved or at least brought down significantly as our genius developers are working on it; that's my hope though. Thanks again.

tell me plz how can i install OpenWRT on my 632BRP
i try to upload openwrt-ar71xx-root.squashfs by webUI and it receive message about incorrect size

lennon wrote:

tell me plz how can i install OpenWRT on my 632BRP
i try to upload openwrt-ar71xx-root.squashfs by webUI and it receive message about incorrect size

Are you picking the profile in "make menuconfig"?  The filename should have 632brp in the name and end with .uni

huh
must i build it by myself?
for whom is the binaries in the downoads?

lennon wrote:

huh
must i build it by myself?
for whom is the binaries in the downoads?

No, you do not have to build yourself.  I am distributing prebuilt firmware for the AP81 routers such as the ones on this thread.  See this place on the forum: http://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=19475

oh, big thnx!! will try it on monday

Hi,

I have installed the latest RoundSparrow build on my TEW-632BRP. It seems to work great. It is better than the original trendnet and D-Link 631 revC firmwares. The router doesn't restart and the wireless works good in g mode (2.1-2.3 mb/s) and it rarely interrupts. The only feature I would like to install further is qos. I have tried to install it, but some of the dependencies were not available. Also, the space on the device runs low and even if i uninstall some of the unneeded packages (ppp related, or luci), i gain no space. Is there a way to install qos-scripts on this firmware build? Can I compile the .uni firmware image to contain all the packages I need? (meaning what is now in the latest build + qos?). I have tried this on latest ubuntu, but it gave me a compilation nerror. I will try it on fedora 10, too. But I guess it would be easier to install the qos-scripts on the RoundSparrow's build. I just need some directions.

Hello
i'm interested also, i just got today an Trendnet TEW-632BRP H/W:A1.0R (still with origin firmware - 1.00b0038), can i install the RoundSparrow build, or any version of OpenWRT on this router ?
i'm not sure of what version i should get from this link http://sites.google.com/a/roundsparrow. … _ap81/Home

as i can see, there is two version of this modem 1.0, and 1.1, think mine is 1.0 version, it's for this reason i ask... i prefiere ask before brick it...

ps : Fratzicu, your TEW-632BRP is v1.0 or 1.1 ? it's written under on the white sticker

thanks
Ced

(Last edited by fced on 5 Apr 2009, 23:36)

Hi,

Mine is 1.0. I have successfully installed on it (using the failsafe boot - meaning rebooting the router with the button pressed, and then accessing http://192.168.10.1 the firmware upgrade page where surprisingly it writes D-Link DIR-615) the image

openwrt_r14959_ar71xx-tew-632brp.uni

You have to make the following steps:

1) set your ip manually for 192.168.10.2
2) reboot the router in the safe mode (pressing the button from behind the router with a needle)
3) access http://192.168.10.1
4) upload the image openwrt_r14959_ar71xx-tew-632brp.uni (you may need to use internet explorer for that, and you also may need to change with a hex editor the last digit from 0 to 2 or viceversa) ant try that many times until it works
5) the router then automatically reboots
6) set your ip for DHCP (automatically get the IP)
7) access http://192.168.1.1 - you will find the luci web app
8) login with root and no password - and then change the password from the menu

8')alternatively you can login via telnet with start...run...cmd (from windows) with the command
telnet 19.168.1.1
and then you can setup your root password with the command
passwd

9) you can access further the router via command line onlyt by ssh (with putty on port 22) and not with telnet (deactivated by the command passwd) or by web interface using the root account and the password specified

It worked very good on my router. The only thing I am worried about is that i can no longer reinstall the original trendnet firmware
Now the router does not connect wirelessly in n mode, only in g
I have all i need on it, except thq qos-scripts which i couldn't install because the dependencies are not compiled and because there is not much space left on the device for that. It seems that the dependencies must be compiled in the kernel, not as modules, and the image must be compiled with the packages preinstalled. But I don't know how to do that and I don't really have time to document, so I wait for a new firmware image fromRoundSparrow.

Also, there are some good firmware images from x-wrt.org, but they use the madwifi driver fo rwireless (RoundSparrow uses ath9k and mac80211) which doesn't work on my router, or I dont't know how to set it up. The web interface from x-wrt says that there were no wifi card detected. So I stick with RoundSparrow for the moment.

Regards

P.S.: check also
http://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=19591

thanks for answer , Fratzicu, i'm still at work so i can't stay too long here ...
but i just wanted to say you quickly :
Before i see your answer i have quickly and successfully upgraded TEW-632BRP with openwrt_r14959_ar71xx-tew-632brp.uni...  (in normal trendnet webinterface ->upgrade)..

after opwnwrt, i have tried to downgrade to Trendnet official TEW632BRPA1_FW110B13.bin firmware in recovery mode, and it have worked (In recovery mode of course)

Procedure i have done to reinstall Trendnet firmware on it :
keep pressing reset button during 40sec while powering the router - after configured static ip in the PC, (i gone to http://192.168.10.1 with explorer 6 -i found the  D-Link DIR-615 webif - i crossed my fingers, and downgraded it )

To downgrade in recovery mode : i used Windows Xp, Explorer 6 and a ethernet cable directly plugged from the pc to the TEW632BRP Lan Port 1 ...

ps : special thanks to RoundSparrow, and the Team smile

(Last edited by fced on 6 Apr 2009, 14:51)

Hello
how are you doing to have more than 54meg on wifi with Tew-632 and macbook pro?
With Openwrt i get only 54 mb/s (G), with the trendnet or the dir-615 firrmware i got with my macbook pro and N card at least connection speed to 130mb/s, ... Any tips here ? or an package update ?

Hi,

I have successfully compiled my first firmware image in the uni format. I used my laptop, a Dell Inspiron with Fedora 10, 4 gb ram and core2duo 1.83 ghz.

Here's what I did:
1) as root I did
yum install build-essential binutils flex bison autoconf gettext texinfo sharutils subversion ncurses-devel ncurses-term zlib1g-dev
note that some packages names differ in fedora vs ubuntu
2) as reguar user I did:
mkdir /what/.../ever/svn
cd /what/.../ever/svn
svn co svn://svn.openwrt.org/openwrt/trunk/
cd trunk/
3) ./scripts/feeds update -a
4) ./scripts/feeds install -a
5) i wanted to install luci administration, so i did:
./scripts/feeds update packages luci
./scripts/feeds install -a -p luci
(5) this step actually i didn't do, bt i guess that if tou want to compile some packages, you can:
cd ..
svn co svn://svn.openwrt.org/openwrt/packages/
i don't know what is with updating to the latest sources
svn up
and with
make packages/symlinks
I would like to compile it with webif, but i didn't succeed
6) i ran
cd trunk/
make menuconfig
chose atheros ar71xx, ad choose to compile most of the wanted packages prebuilt in, not as modules
7) done make, but it gave me an error teling me that i hae to do make V=99, so i did:
make v=99 world
i think it actually built the openwrt from scratch, ecause it downloaded gcc and linux kernel (about 80 mb, and all the sources for the required packages
in the end, it built the firmware images, and among them i found what i needed - the uni file
I flashed it via the failsafe webui
8) it worked, my first firmware imagebuilt from scratch.

Note: i think it is pretty safe flashing the uni files.
I'll test the qos, and i'lll give you some feedback.
I'll put the image smewhere so you can downoad it.
maybe you guys can help improuve this tutorial inserting/correcting some steps, eventually with the option to install the webif or odher packages.

also check out
http://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=16599
and
http://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=9180
and
https://svn.openwrt.org/wiki/GetSource

and i'll put some other links later

I think that compiling firmware images in .uni format from svn developpement trunk and from scratch with make V=99 is the best solution.

regards

I didn't get the n speed

(Last edited by fratzicu on 10 Apr 2009, 10:00)

OK,At the end of this post you'll find the link for my google site dedicated to OpenWRT Kamikaze firmware compiling. That page contains also some compiled packages for the latest kernel. Some of them were missing from the x-wrt snapshot page.

The only errors now are:
1) ip_tables: (C) 2000-2006 Netfilter Core Team
nf_conntrack version 0.5.0 (512 buckets, 2048 max)
CONFIG_NF_CT_ACCT is deprecated and will be removed soon. Please use
nf_conntrack.acct=1 kernel paramater, acct=1 nf_conntrack module option or
sysctl net.netfilter.nf_conntrack_acct=1 to enable it.
2) can't load conntrack support for proto=24
can't load conntrack support for proto=24
3) UDP: bad checksum. From 116.7.7.110:55760 to 86.105.204.202:42005 ulen 43
eth1: link down
ar71xx: pll_reg 0xb8050018: 0x13000a44
eth1: link up (100Mbps/Full duplex)
4) mount -t cifs //fratzicu/storage /tmp/mnt -o rw,user=***,password=**********
mount: mounting \\192.168.**.***\storage on /tmp/mnt failed: No such device

Else, it works very good, but the QOS still isn't as goog as that of the D-Link DIR-601 rev C firmware. I guess it's because of the download and upload link speed settings which I don't quite know how to set.

Next, I'll try compiling with the webif2

http://sites.google.com/site/fratzicu/

Regards

Hi,

Glad it could help. I was compiling so many packages times, because I wanted to have:
1)basic configuration, preferably with webif2, miniupnpd, qos, openvpn, cifs and transmission. It seems I succeeded with:
a)Kamikaze-(r15213)-webif2light-cifs-transmission-openvpn-12-04-2009
b)Kamikaze-(r15213)-madwifi-webif2-cifs-transmission-openvpn-12-04-2009
c)Kamikaze-(r15213)-madwifi-luci-cifs-transmission-openvpn-12-04-2009
I didn't test them yet. I don't know yet if madwifi works.

I'll try the a) firmware and then the b) one.
Cifs works. Basically, I plan to buy a network attached storage. I wonder if mlnet could be compiled to work with OpenWRT.

Regards.

Hi again,

I tested

a)Kamikaze-(r15213)-webif2light-cifs-transmission-openvpn-12-04-2009

and

b)Kamikaze-(r15213)-madwifi-webif2-cifs-transmission-openvpn-12-04-2009

They work, but they don't have openvpn.

root@OpenWrt:~# df -h
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
rootfs                    2.6M      2.6M         0 100% /
/dev/root                 2.6M      2.6M         0 100% /rom
tmpfs                    14.6M    692.0k     13.9M   5% /tmp
tmpfs                   512.0k         0    512.0k   0% /dev
/dev/mtdblock4          448.0k    236.0k    212.0k  53% /jffs
mini_fo:/jffs             2.6M      2.6M         0 100% /

root@OpenWrt:~# opkg list_installed
base-files-ar71xx - 17-r15213 -
busybox - 1.11.3-5 -
dnsmasq - 2.47-3 -
dropbear - 0.52-2 -
firewall - 1-1 -
haserl - 0.9.24-1 -
hostapd-mini - 0.6.9-1 -
hotplug2 - 0.9+r102-3 -
iptables - 1.4.1.1-2 -
iptables-mod-conntrack - 1.4.1.1-2 -
iptables-mod-conntrack-extra - 1.4.1.1-2 -
iptables-mod-filter - 1.4.1.1-2 -
iptables-mod-imq - 1.4.1.1-2 -
iptables-mod-ipopt - 1.4.1.1-2 -
iptables-mod-nat - 1.4.1.1-2 -
kernel - 2.6.28.9-ar71xx-1 -
kmod-ath9k - 2.6.28.9+2009-03-31-ar71xx-1 -
kmod-button-hotplug - 2.6.28.9-ar71xx-1 -
kmod-crc-ccitt - 2.6.28.9-ar71xx-1 -
kmod-crypto-aes - 2.6.28.9-ar71xx-1 -
kmod-crypto-arc4 - 2.6.28.9-ar71xx-1 -
kmod-crypto-core - 2.6.28.9-ar71xx-1 -
kmod-fs-cifs - 2.6.28.9-ar71xx-1 -
kmod-input-core - 2.6.28.9-ar71xx-1 -
kmod-input-gpio-buttons - 2.6.28.9-ar71xx-1 -
kmod-input-polldev - 2.6.28.9-ar71xx-1 -
kmod-ipt-conntrack - 2.6.28.9-ar71xx-1 -
kmod-ipt-conntrack-extra - 2.6.28.9-ar71xx-1 -
kmod-ipt-core - 2.6.28.9-ar71xx-1 -
kmod-ipt-filter - 2.6.28.9-ar71xx-1 -
kmod-ipt-imq - 2.6.28.9-ar71xx-1 -
kmod-ipt-ipopt - 2.6.28.9-ar71xx-1 -
kmod-ipt-nat - 2.6.28.9-ar71xx-1 -
kmod-ipt-nathelper - 2.6.28.9-ar71xx-1 -
kmod-mac80211 - 2.6.28.9+2009-03-31-ar71xx-1 -
kmod-nls-base - 2.6.28.9-ar71xx-1 -
kmod-ppp - 2.6.28.9-ar71xx-1 -
kmod-pppoe - 2.6.28.9-ar71xx-1 -
kmod-sched - 2.6.28.9-ar71xx-1 -
kmod-textsearch - 2.6.28.9-ar71xx-1 -
libc - 0.9.29-17 -
libcurl - 7.19.4-1 -
libgcc - 4.1.2-17 -
libopenssl - 0.9.8k-1 -
libpthread - 0.9.29-17 -
librt - 0.9.29-17 -
libuci - 0.7.4-1 -
miniupnpd - 1.1-5 -
mtd - 8 -
opkg - 4564-3 -
ppp - 2.4.3-11 -
ppp-mod-pppoe - 2.4.3-11 -
qos-scripts - 1.2.1-2 -
tc - 2.6.25-1 -
transmission-daemon - 1.51-1 -
uci - 0.7.4-1 -
uclibcxx - 0.2.2-1 -
udevtrigger - 106-1 -
webif - 0.3-4737 -
webif-applications - 0.1-1 -
webif-theme-xwrt-mini - 0.3-4737 -
webif-vpn - 0.1-1 -
wireless-tools - 29-3 -
zlib - 1.2.3-5 -

It doesn't seem to be en0ugh space for all of the options I wanted. The madwifi driver doesn't work. Also, I couldn't get the n speed with the ath9k driver, but the wireless g is stable. I coud mount network drives using cifs. Probably I could use transmission, but I don't want to test it now.

So I recommend to use for now
Kamikaze-(r15213)-webif2light-cifs-transmission-12-04-2009 (I deleted openvpn from the name

Good luck!

(Last edited by fratzicu on 12 Apr 2009, 21:56)

Hi,

I get this error:

Error for wireless request "Set ESSID" (8B1A) :
    SET failed on device wlan0 ; Operation not supported.

Any ideas? Tnx.

sorry i have no idea about this error, but ESSID = SSID (name of wifi network) no ?
i have tried 3 of the 6 openwrt releases, but, i can't have wifi enabled on it, (like with the x-wrt.org snapshot release)...

Sorry, posts 151 to 150 are missing from our archive.