OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: WZR-HP-G300NH Support

The content of this topic has been archived between 6 Feb 2018 and 3 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

thanks for the script..i am compiling it right now..does it download everything again?..how about 3g support?

bcmalloy wrote:
kunjan wrote:
bcmalloy wrote:

Just use the tftp procedure it's easy an I have written a how to here for windows 7, you should really know how to tftp before trying different firmwares as there is virtually no risk if you do. This is why I only provide the sysupgrade firmware (for upgrading in OPENWRT ONLY) and the tftp firmware so no one who cannot follow the tftp procedure can upload it to their router......  thats the idea anyway....

Heres the link, will take you 10min, relax these router have a fail-safe every time you reboot it, it opens 192.168.11.1 and waits for a tftp transfer for a few seconds, I admit they could have made the whole tftp alot easier you have to wonder who comes up with this shit.

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 42#p140742

Glad to see you around to help out.  When you say it's fail-safe it gives certainly  more hope even after trying tftp so many times but with XP tftp and static arp(arp -s <MAC>)

To undertand whether I missed the router response to tftp reponse, I ran wirehsark to see if really the router repsonds to tftp request though not very sure if it's still possible to miss the packet from the router. So far there is not a even a single packet from the router, which makes me to think that things are bad.

Few things i'll try is adding the arp as you have said mapping to the interface rather just a static arp which I tried and the pumpkin. Also will follow what 'techweenie' has suggested.

Do I need to connect a switch in between the PC and router as I see the interface of the PC goes up/down twice before it's up? 

Does the router stay in 192.168.11.x only for few seconds before downing it. Now I connect to the LAN port nearest to WAN.?

Which firmware should I've rightfully be using? trunk 'factory' ?

Thanks for all the help.

My guide is made for windows 7, it should work in winxp verify if it does please. Reading around the net it's claimed winxp is easier to tftp , but then again I tried about 5 different ubuntu tftp guides none of which ever worked.

In my limited experience only the Pumpkin tftp software would fully upload the file other tftp utils would bomb out 3/4 of the way no idea why, tftp is a big pain in the arse is part of the reason....

Just follow the guide word for word I made it specifically for new users like myself using windows 7, and it is fully tested unlike Alot of other guides.

just plug an Ethernet cable directly from your motherboard to your router with nothing in between.  Don't confuse yourself just follow the guide exactly, once you do it you will have a better understanding

Use the "buffalo" "Friendly firmware" for a recovery then you can install ddwrt if you want.

My problem continues. While I'm able to do tftp without fail I can't make any firmware work. When I tiried original buffalo firmware it rejected "Unspport Model". Then as suggested in the forum use 'dd' to skip 28 bytes block and manged to tftp. Still I can't  bring it up. Diag is hard on.

Tried whatever firmware I can find, including dd-wrt, openwrt for buffalo. Still no luck. Any suggestions, please?


Thanks

How long are you waiting after a firmware flash before considering it as failed?  I've had some flashes take upwards of 10 minutes to complete.

kunjan wrote:

My problem continues. While I'm able to do tftp without fail I can't make any firmware work. When I tiried original buffalo firmware it rejected "Unspport Model". Then as suggested in the forum use 'dd' to skip 28 bytes block and manged to tftp. Still I can't  bring it up. Diag is hard on.

Tried whatever firmware I can find, including dd-wrt, openwrt for buffalo. Still no luck. Any suggestions, please?


Thanks

Your device is WZR-HP-G300NH2 which is way too far from compatible with NH and NH1 variants. The "AR7242" keyword in your previous posting confirms this. A support for the NH2 was submitted few weeks ago, and it's in the review queue.

http://patchwork.openwrt.org/patch/1314/

techweenie wrote:

How long are you waiting after a firmware flash before considering it as failed?  I've had some flashes take upwards of 10 minutes to complete.

I can't give you the direct answer since I have never failed to flash it, but here are some figures for the squashfs+jffs2 case to complete each step. I hope you might find them useful.

0. uboot initialization : less than 10 sec
1. tftp transfer : few sec
2. flash block erase : 8 sec
3. flash write : 40 sec
4. boot process : 45 sec
(diag goes off here, you can telnet into the device, but file system is still readonly)
5. jffs2 block erase : 100 sec
(total =~ 200 ~ 210 sec)

aerodyne wrote:
techweenie wrote:

How long are you waiting after a firmware flash before considering it as failed?  I've had some flashes take upwards of 10 minutes to complete.

I can't give you the direct answer since I have never failed to flash it, but here are some figures for the squashfs+jffs2 case to complete each step. I hope you might find them useful.

0. uboot initialization : less than 10 sec
1. tftp transfer : few sec
2. flash block erase : 8 sec
3. flash write : 40 sec
4. boot process : 45 sec
(diag goes off here, you can telnet into the device, but file system is still readonly)
5. jffs2 block erase : 100 sec
(total =~ 200 ~ 210 sec)

I'm pretty sure that the transfer has completed. It only took 7 seconds(13M). I tried native win 7 tftp and pumpkin. Both same. I confirmed from the logs and the packet capture I did during tftp transfer.

But how to measure the 2-5 steps? I'm in dark on whats happening after that.

I did saw the patch request. Since I too excited to give a try I did it. I thought I'll have some basic functionality at least while waiting sad

But now I can't even bring it up after flashing the original buffalo firmware. Only thing is now this 30-30-30 reset is how important it is and if my sequence is perfect to meet the requirements.

jefbuan wrote:

thanks for the script..i am compiling it right now..does it download everything again?..how about 3g support?

nope that's what the command
make menuconfig
is for it's for selecting the components you want in your firmware, it's the whole point of openwrt, you can customize it.

Go read a tutorial there are plenty online or start paying me wink

(Last edited by bcmalloy on 10 Sep 2011, 11:02)

kunjan wrote:
aerodyne wrote:
techweenie wrote:

How long are you waiting after a firmware flash before considering it as failed?  I've had some flashes take upwards of 10 minutes to complete.

I can't give you the direct answer since I have never failed to flash it, but here are some figures for the squashfs+jffs2 case to complete each step. I hope you might find them useful.

0. uboot initialization : less than 10 sec
1. tftp transfer : few sec
2. flash block erase : 8 sec
3. flash write : 40 sec
4. boot process : 45 sec
(diag goes off here, you can telnet into the device, but file system is still readonly)
5. jffs2 block erase : 100 sec
(total =~ 200 ~ 210 sec)

I'm pretty sure that the transfer has completed. It only took 7 seconds(13M). I tried native win 7 tftp and pumpkin. Both same. I confirmed from the logs and the packet capture I did during tftp transfer.

But how to measure the 2-5 steps? I'm in dark on whats happening after that.

I did saw the patch request. Since I too excited to give a try I did it. I thought I'll have some basic functionality at least while waiting sad

But now I can't even bring it up after flashing the original buffalo firmware. Only thing is now this 30-30-30 reset is how important it is and if my sequence is perfect to meet the requirements.

The timing is listed for techweenie, and FYI, these steps can't be seen without a serial console mod.


And your "can't revert to factory" device, if you can still tftp some firmware, it is not bricked; you only need to feed it with a correct software. What is the origin of the "factory" firmware you are trying to flash?

aerodyne wrote:
kunjan wrote:
aerodyne wrote:

I can't give you the direct answer since I have never failed to flash it, but here are some figures for the squashfs+jffs2 case to complete each step. I hope you might find them useful.

0. uboot initialization : less than 10 sec
1. tftp transfer : few sec
2. flash block erase : 8 sec
3. flash write : 40 sec
4. boot process : 45 sec
(diag goes off here, you can telnet into the device, but file system is still readonly)
5. jffs2 block erase : 100 sec
(total =~ 200 ~ 210 sec)

I'm pretty sure that the transfer has completed. It only took 7 seconds(13M). I tried native win 7 tftp and pumpkin. Both same. I confirmed from the logs and the packet capture I did during tftp transfer.

But how to measure the 2-5 steps? I'm in dark on whats happening after that.

I did saw the patch request. Since I too excited to give a try I did it. I thought I'll have some basic functionality at least while waiting sad

But now I can't even bring it up after flashing the original buffalo firmware. Only thing is now this 30-30-30 reset is how important it is and if my sequence is perfect to meet the requirements.

The timing is listed for techweenie, and FYI, these steps can't be seen without a serial console mod.


And your "can't revert to factory" device, if you can still tftp some firmware, it is not bricked; you only need to feed it with a correct software. What is the origin of the "factory" firmware you are trying to flash?

I finally managed to bring up using the firmware listed here http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/buffalo/wzr-hp-g300nh2. I can telnet to the router. So getting better. Now can I use the sysupgrade for wzr-hp-g300nh?

Unfortunately, neither the 6th September trunk snapshot nor bcmalloy's image have alleviated my wireless issue. I'll be attempting a compile of my own from trunk next I would imagine..

And I also definitely don't see me going back to DD-WRT. OpenWRT seems to be better in every way! It is much faster, lighter and cleaner. So a big thank you to everyone who works on it and to bcmalloy for the images they provide smile

(Last edited by Xyem on 10 Sep 2011, 22:05)

I've read most of the thread, and I'm very excited to get started flashing my router.  Before I dive in though, I feel like I need to test the waters with this question...Has this been tested with a router that says A0 D0 on the back?

*Update*  Works great!

(Last edited by salty10is on 11 Sep 2011, 05:04)

thank to bcmalloy for guiding..Ive build my own firmware..and testing it now,,ill report soon for B0 B0 models

bcmalloy wrote:

Openwrt build r28203 with 3g uhci upnp web dns qos

Tested on Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH with A2 A0 on the back


To install with tftp
http://www.mediafire.com/?ejbddt7uova4r77

To upgrade an existing  openwrt installation
http://www.mediafire.com/?dqgds8a5nqtbqf6

All credit goes to the hard working openwrt team

I just installed me this Update and its working fine. 3G as well works perfect. Just one question to this releases.... Is there the cifs support disabled in the kernel ? I tried to mount in the router a CIFS share, but it tells me it not supported from the system.

Any Ideas ?

Speedy1205 wrote:
bcmalloy wrote:

Openwrt build r28203 with 3g uhci upnp web dns qos

Tested on Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH with A2 A0 on the back


To install with tftp
http://www.mediafire.com/?ejbddt7uova4r77

To upgrade an existing  openwrt installation
http://www.mediafire.com/?dqgds8a5nqtbqf6

All credit goes to the hard working openwrt team

I just installed me this Update and its working fine. 3G as well works perfect. Just one question to this releases.... Is there the cifs support disabled in the kernel ? I tried to mount in the router a CIFS share, but it tells me it not supported from the system.

Any Ideas ?

CIFS is not included  what it is, ntfs and ext4. I'll chuck in cifs in the next release and the cifs mount helper utility as it will probably add 5kb to the size

(Last edited by bcmalloy on 11 Sep 2011, 11:06)

Hey bcmalloy,

thanks for that. In linux the ntfs has a poor performance. So ext4 would be a better choose. Anyway I`m not the only one using it so maybe someone else wants ntfs. For me it can be both :-) I think 4 or 8 kb more is not so bad :-)

Thanks again

Openwrt build r28208 with 3g uhci upnp web dyndns qos ext4 cifs ntfs ext3 usb20

Tested on Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH with A2 A0 on the back

Tftp this file to your router
http://www.mediafire.com/?on1ri7nptfy2lv5

Use this to upgrade an Openwrt installation
http://www.mediafire.com/?edk1h861qmxuxzx

All Credit goes to the hard working Openwrt team

(Last edited by bcmalloy on 11 Sep 2011, 11:44)

kunjan wrote:

I finally managed to bring up using the firmware listed here http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/buffalo/wzr-hp-g300nh2.

Congrads!

Now can I use the sysupgrade for wzr-hp-g300nh?

No. As I noted before, the wzr-hp-g300nh is *VERY* different from wzr-hp-g300nh2. They are like apples and oranges.

aerodyne wrote:
kunjan wrote:

I finally managed to bring up using the firmware listed here http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/buffalo/wzr-hp-g300nh2.

Congrads!

Now can I use the sysupgrade for wzr-hp-g300nh?

No. As I noted before, the wzr-hp-g300nh is *VERY* different from wzr-hp-g300nh2. They are like apples and oranges.

Thanks. Should have known this before. Spent a lot of time on this. But good thing is more confident in messing up with this router. Now on to what I wanted the box for, Asterisk. Any suggestions on a good site to look for.

bcmalloy wrote:

Openwrt build r28208 with 3g uhci upnp web dyndns qos ext4 cifs ntfs ext3 usb20

Tested on Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH with A2 A0 on the back

Tftp this file to your router
http://www.mediafire.com/?on1ri7nptfy2lv5

Use this to upgrade an Openwrt installation
http://www.mediafire.com/?edk1h861qmxuxzx

All Credit goes to the hard working Openwrt team

Hey Thanks,

But still I have there some issues. I want to mount on the router a filesystem from my NAS:
mount.cifs //192.168.1.2/Unsere-Ordner/USB-DISK /mnt/cifs/ -o user=daniel_stanisz-busch,pass=P
inneappledoor94

mount error: cifs filesystem not supported by the system
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)

Mybe I`m doing some wrong :-)

jefbuan wrote:

thank to bcmalloy for guiding..Ive build my own firmware..and testing it now,,ill report soon for B0 B0 models

I'm B0 B0 too - will be following you and will soon be setting up my environment too.
Also like to say thanks to bcmalloy for sharing all, here.

ultrawires wrote:
jefbuan wrote:

thank to bcmalloy for guiding..Ive build my own firmware..and testing it now,,ill report soon for B0 B0 models

I'm B0 B0 too - will be following you and will soon be setting up my environment too.
Also like to say thanks to bcmalloy for sharing all, here.

using latest trunk,,,i cant set my wifi tx power to 27dbm..always lock at 17 dbm..

arokh wrote:

@jefbuan

http://smorgasbord.gavagai.nl/2010/09/w … to-fix-it/

This will show you how to unlock power levels.

I saw some replies on that board..

Thanks for reply. I found a standard way.
I built from source. There is an option in menuconfig in ath9k driver to allow regdomain change

CONFIG_ATH_USER_REGD stops forced US settings as far as I know, but you'll still be limited by each country's power limits. Have fun playing with it smile