OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: WZR-HP-G300NH Support

The content of this topic has been archived between 6 Feb 2018 and 3 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

9 megabytes per second is very good for wireless. wondering what stability is like though.

also that relayed doesnt work the way i want it to. the devices on the bridge end up with a different subnet so communication issues occur over the bridge. its not a proper true bridge mode.

slybunda wrote:

9 megabytes per second is very good for wireless. wondering what stability is like though.

With RC4 I got about 15 MB/s and after some patches to fix the stability issues the speed dropped. Anyway I prefer stability to speed.

slybunda wrote:

also that relayed doesnt work the way i want it to. the devices on the bridge end up with a different subnet so communication issues occur over the bridge. its not a proper true bridge mode.

With this setup all the devices are within the same subnet, look at the blue IP adressess. I don't know what the red IP adresses are used for.

Openwrt Build r28452  3g/utms uhci upnp web dyndns cifs ext4 usb2 qos usb20 (feature Packed)

Tested on Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH with A2 A0 on the back

Grab your files here , working on something a little more permanent

http://home.exetel.com.au/openwrt/

(Last edited by bcmalloy on 15 Oct 2011, 16:22)

bcmalloy wrote:

Use this to upgrade an Openwrt installation
http://www.filedropper.com/openwrt-ar71 … supgrade_1

Many thanks for these builds.  Any chance you can upload this one again?  I have tried to download multiple times and it is only 288kB.

Hi bcmalloy

all 4 the files pointed to on filedropper are indicated as 0 bytes and none can be downloaded...

I could download them :-) just 3 hours ago....

still highly unstable for me here running in accesspoint mode. gone back to using my powerAP N and a gigabit switch combo.

With this release I had also some issue. So I switched back to Version I had before, which worked faster and more stable for me.

Does anyone have wds working with this router? I have 2 x WZR-HP-G300NH both with Backfire 10.03.1-rc5 which i want to setup simply as one access point and one station. In the web interface it appears that they are paired and when i connect I can access both routers @ 192.168.0.1 & 192.168.0.2. However there i no increase in range and it appears that i can connect to the access point only, if i move out of range of the access point i can no longer connect. Is there something i'm missing? Thank You, ben

http://i.imgur.com/sJJ3O.png

Client:

config 'wifi-device' 'radio0'
    option 'type' 'mac80211'
    option 'channel' '11'
    option 'macaddr' '00:24:a5:d7:cd:10'
    list 'ht_capab' 'SHORT-GI-40'
    list 'ht_capab' 'DSSS_CCK-40'
    option 'disabled' '0'
    option 'txpower' '27'
    option 'country' 'US'
    option 'hwmode' '11ng'
    option 'htmode' 'HT20'

config 'wifi-iface'
    option 'device' 'radio0'
    option 'network' 'lan'
    option 'ssid' 'Box1'
    option 'mode' 'sta'
    option 'key' 'mykey'
    option 'wds' '1'
    option 'encryption' 'none'

Access Point

http://i.imgur.com/XYJhh.png

option 'type' 'mac80211'
    option 'channel' '11'
    option 'macaddr' '00:24:a5:d8:7d:17'
    option 'disabled' '0'
    option 'txpower' '27'
    option 'country' 'US'
    option 'hwmode' '11ng'
    option 'htmode' 'HT20'

config 'wifi-iface'
    option 'device' 'radio0'
    option 'network' 'lan'
    option 'mode' 'ap'
    option 'ssid' 'Box1'
    option 'key' 'mykey'
    option 'wds' '1'
    option 'encryption' 'none'

Your configuration seems incorrect. Per http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/uci/wireless You need

option 'mode' 'wds'

instead of

option 'wds' '1' (which is for madwifi only).

Then, in ap set

option 'bssid' '00:24:a5:d7:cd:10'

and in client

option 'bssid' '00:24:a5:d8:7d:17'

snk, no his configuration is correct. "mode wds" is only defined for legacy broadcom.
zootreeves, you're supposed to create secondary ap mode interface on the wds-sta router, with ssid and crypto set to the same values as your main ap.

zootreeves wrote:

Does anyone have wds working with this router? I have 2 x WZR-HP-G300NH both with Backfire 10.03.1-rc5 which i want to setup simply as one access point and one station. In the web interface it appears that they are paired and when i connect I can access both routers @ 192.168.0.1 & 192.168.0.2. However there i no increase in range and it appears that i can connect to the access point only, if i move out of range of the access point i can no longer connect. Is there something i'm missing? Thank You, ben

I do have this very same setup and the only difference I've found is that I have "option 'htmode' 'HT40+'" and that in the bridge you have "option 'network' 'lan'" where I have relay between the wifi and the lan.

First of all check that you have installed the relayd package. I think it's only needed in the bridge, but install it on both routers.

This is my remote router /etc/config/networking

root@bridge:~# cat /etc/config/network 

config 'interface' 'loopback'
    option 'ifname' 'lo'
    option 'proto' 'static'
    option 'ipaddr' '127.0.0.1'
    option 'netmask' '255.0.0.0'

# The lan are the lan ports + the wan port
config 'interface' 'lan'
    option 'type' 'bridge'
    option 'proto' 'none'
    option 'ifname' 'eth0.1'

config 'switch'
    option 'name' 'switch0'
    option 'reset' '1'
    option 'enable_vlan' '1'

config 'switch_vlan'
    option 'device' 'switch0'
    option 'vlan' '1'
    option 'ports' '0 1 2 3 5t'

# The wifi interface uses dhcp to get its addreess. It can be a fixed IP.
config 'interface' 'wwan'
    option 'proto' 'dhcp'

# This is the relay between wifi and lan
config 'interface' 'stabridge'
    option 'proto' 'relay'
    option 'network' 'lan wwan'

And then the interface in /etc/config/wireless is defined as

config 'wifi-iface'
    option 'device' 'radio0'
    option 'network' 'wwan' # The wifi interface
    option 'mode' 'sta'
    option 'key' 'xxxxxxx'
    option 'ssid' 'xxxxxxx'
    option 'wds' '1'
    option 'encryption' 'psk2'

Please check and if it doesn't work post both /etc/config/networking.

Here's some new builds....  super STABLE with perfect wifi unlike buffalo firmware enjoy

I tested backfire rc 6 with excitement , but it still does not work with this router, just end up with a red light...............

I HIGHLY recommend using a tftp upgrade as opposed to a system upgrade, especially
if you have not updated for a while. In fact I think you should only use tftp transfers to update, to avoid any problems.
web interface sluggish, things not quite right? Do a tftp update then load your backup settings.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Openwrt Build r28746 3g/utms uhci upnp web dyndns cifs ext4 usb2 qos usb20 proxy (feature Packed)

Tftp this file to your router
http://www.mediafire.com/?3rjmsvbggvgcr0m

http://www.mediafire.com/?7abbg3b2reite6t

NOTE: I've found with my particular settings if I do not follow these steps  while upgrading firmware
I end up with a frozen box that I have to tftp the firmware to instead , this does not apply to a tftp upgrade.

1.flash new firmware and wipe all your settings
2. reboot after successful flash
3. restore your settings from a backup after these steps.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Openwrt Build r28746 upnp web qos proxy (LEAN build)

Tftp this file to your router
http://www.mediafire.com/?tetmaiz5a4bu5hm

http://www.mediafire.com/?kyv1yi9mzmn2ve4

NOTE: I've found with my particular settings if I do not follow these steps  while upgrading firmware
I end up with a frozen box that I have to tftp the firmware to instead , this does not apply to a tftp upgrade.

1.flash new firmware and wipe all your settings
2. reboot after successful flash
3. restore your settings from a backup after these steps.

All Credit goes to the hard working Openwrt team

(Last edited by bcmalloy on 9 Nov 2011, 01:22)

Hi, I've got a wzr-hp-g300nh and that I'd like to set up to connect my tv and xbox to my main wireless network.

I had a release candidate backfire on there before but the network was glitchy so I thought I'd try upgrading.

I've installed openwrt on the router using http://downloads.openwrt.org/backfire/1 … pgrade.bin but am failing when trying to enable wifi.
I see Backfire (10.03, r20728) when I open a putty session.

I've reset the router to defaults and then changed it's ip to 192.168.2.1 (so it doesn't conflict with my main router.).

That's all I've done. My /etc/config/wireless file is empty which doesn't seem right. All the guides on enable seem to talk about changing this file to set disabled to false, but that's kinda hard when it's empty.

I've tried resetting to defaults via the web interface and via the router.

Resetting via the web interface resets the ip.

The reset button on the router seems to do nothing at all. (And I mean literally nothing, no flashing lights on the front, no break in response to ping requests, it's as if I'm not pressing the button.)

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Peter

(Last edited by ProggerPete on 8 Nov 2011, 14:30)

Try one of the latest trunk builds mine is posted above it's from code TODAY,  I recommend the Lean build it also has Upnp to make you life easier with somthing like an xbox (note: must be enabled in the web interface) the reset button does not do anything in openwrt

Everything can be done through the web interface, you don't need to do anything to get the wireless working except
1.go into the network tab
2.choose wifi
3.choose edit
4.enter your settings
5.hit enable button
6 wifi comes up

(Last edited by bcmalloy on 8 Nov 2011, 15:55)

Hi, I've installed your lean build via TFTP.

1st up, good effort on your TFTP instructions, this is the first time I've successfully installed firmware via TFTP. Also good to know the reset button isn't meant to do anything when openwrt is installed.

On the wifi front.

After install I telneted in and set the password, then went to the web interface.

I changed the static ip to 192.168.2.1 to avoid conflicts with my main router.

I then tried to follow your instructions to set up wifi. All goes well until step 6. wifi comes up. The wifi does not come up.

In wireless overview i can see the controller.

SSID: Fritz | Mode: Client
Wireless is disabled or not associated

When i hit enable it says restarting but then goes back to saying not associated.

I picked up the channel etc by scanning and choosing connect to network. The main router does not have WPS turned on.

I've connected to the router via putty and tried to diagnose the problem.

When I type wifi I see.

root@OpenWrt:~# wifi
Read error: Network is down, reopening socket
udhcpc: bind: No such device
udhcpc (v1.19.3) started
root@OpenWrt:~# Sending discover...
Sending discover...
Sending discover...

my config looks like

option 'type' 'mac80211'
        option 'macaddr' '00:24:a5:b0:02:63'
        option 'hwmode' '11ng'
        option 'htmode' 'HT20'
        option 'channel' '2'
        option 'txpower' '17'
        option 'country' 'AU'

config 'wifi-iface'
        option 'ssid' 'Fritz'
        option 'device' 'radio0'
        option 'mode' 'sta'
        option 'network' 'wwan'
        option 'key' 'xxx'
        option 'encryption' 'psk2'

and

config 'interface' 'loopback'
        option 'ifname' 'lo'
        option 'proto' 'static'
        option 'ipaddr' '127.0.0.1'
        option 'netmask' '255.0.0.0'

config 'interface' 'lan'
        option 'ifname' 'eth0.1'
        option 'type' 'bridge'
        option 'proto' 'static'
        option 'netmask' '255.255.255.0'
        option 'ipaddr' '192.168.2.1'

config 'interface' 'wan'
        option 'ifname' 'eth1'
        option 'proto' 'dhcp'

config 'switch'
        option 'name' 'switch0'
        option 'reset' '1'
        option 'enable_vlan' '1'

config 'switch_vlan'
        option 'device' 'switch0'
        option 'vlan' '1'
        option 'ports' '0 1 2 3 5t'

config 'interface' 'wwan'
        option 'proto' 'dhcp'

Do you have any further pointers for me?

Also is the revision number the 2 letter number pairs beside the scan code?

(Last edited by ProggerPete on 9 Nov 2011, 01:46)

Check what exact encryption the Fritzbox uses, if it is something unusual like WPA PSK2 with TKIP then you need to change the crypto on the CLI. Also try changing the hw mode from 11ng to 11g

Security encryption is WPA + WPA2 on the Fritz box.
A wireless scan from Luci reports it as Encryption: mixed WPA/WPA2 PSK (TKIP). Does this mean I need to do that CLI thing? If so can you give me the complete dummy instructions?

Tried switching to 11g, no change. sad

(Last edited by ProggerPete on 9 Nov 2011, 02:44)

Looking at the interfaces section I see 3 interfaces.

LAN, WAN and WWAN

LAN and WAN both have mac addresses

WWAN does not.

The WWAN interface appeared when I went through the steps to enable Wifi.

Does this sound right?

Yes, it does. Please try changing your wifi encryption on OpenWrt from "WPA-PSK2" to "WPA-PSK".

I have 3 options on the Fritz box.

TKIP (WPA)
WPA2 (CCMP)
WPA + WPA2

Which one do you think? I didn't need to change this when I had the backfire release candidate on the router.

Cheers,
Peter

I've tried completely disabling security on the Fritz Box, I still can't connect.

When security is turned on these are the details the Fritz Box reports...
Authentication:    WPA-PSK, WPA2-PSK
Data encryption:    TKIP, AES-CCMP

However I think if I can't get it connecting with no security I don't have much hope with security turned on.

Thanks i found the same thing every tftp guide I tried seemed to have not actually been tested step by step by the author....
1.Try reseting back to default settings in network > backup flash firmware > Perform reset OR just reflash firmware with tftp
2.log into interface after reset, set new password with system > administration >Password
3. set-up your wireless again and test the unit

note:You do not have to go into cli  - shell or anything "tricky" make it work ,just like a normal home  router.

Personally I;ve found changing the default ip address in the past completely screws up everything leave it at 192.168.1.1 and change the ip of your other device instead after your test

(Last edited by bcmalloy on 10 Nov 2011, 14:50)

Sorry, posts 326 to 325 are missing from our archive.