OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Fully featured OpenWrt build for the WNDR3700 (NO LONGER MAINTAINED)

The content of this topic has been archived between 13 Apr 2013 and 6 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

@arokh

can you please include pyload in your next build?

I have a couple of questions regarding arokh's builds:

1) What is the increase of the clock when using dangerous_overclock?
2) Where is the source code for this version?
3) Since dangerous_overclock is based on barrier_breaker, is this the recommended version to use?
4) The wifi-button of the WNDR can be used to enable and disable wifi on demand. This is neat and I would like to set a cron job to disable wifi at home during my working hours (saves an extra ~4 Watt). What is the command that is being executed when the button is hit? (the reason is obvious: just in case I stay at home I would like to hit the button again to turn wifi on).

written_direcon wrote:

@arokh

can you please include pyload in your next build?

I do not think there will be any new builds from arokh. His last post was more then 6 months ago. So I consider this build "dead" and I would recommend switching to the hnyman's builds.

Hein

What is the best sys/upgrade to run now for 3700 that has both radios running? everything i've tried 5GHz shows enabled,even on LED but 0% data transfer.

Does any of you have issue with WAN port limited to 100Mbps Half Duplex ?
I have two WNDR3700v1 and one of them doesn't negotiate to 1000Mbps.

dynek wrote:

Nope, I don't. Maybe your adapter is misconfigured?

:-) 0p3nWRT_r0ckZ :-) wrote:

I have a couple of questions regarding arokh's builds:

1) What is the increase of the clock when using dangerous_overclock?
2) Where is the source code for this version?
3) Since dangerous_overclock is based on barrier_breaker, is this the recommended version to use?
4) The wifi-button of the WNDR can be used to enable and disable wifi on demand. This is neat and I would like to set a cron job to disable wifi at home during my working hours (saves an extra ~4 Watt). What is the command that is being executed when the button is hit? (the reason is obvious: just in case I stay at home I would like to hit the button again to turn wifi on).

1) 800Mhz, from the stock 680MHZ clock. Some people have said that this SoC is made to run at 800Mhz, so you shouldn't have any overheating problems.

2) Right here.

3) The latest normal build (r34054) is based on Attitude Adjustment.

4) Here you go.

(Last edited by bmccoy11 on 7 Jul 2014, 07:15)

Hello folks,

I'm currently using DD-WRT on my WNDR3700v1 router.  I recently purchased a 3TB USB external drive, not realizing that I can't use it due to a limitation of the DD-WRT build only being able to mount 2TB or smaller drives due to lack of GPT support.  Does anyone know if OpenWRT has GPT support (or, more directly, whether or not 3TB external USB drives work with OpenWRT)?  Figured I'd ask before going through the hassle of making the switch...

Thanks!

(Last edited by Gigahurtz on 11 May 2014, 18:57)

Gigahurtz wrote:

Hello folks,

I'm currently using DD-WRT on my WNDR3700v1 router.  I recently purchased a 3TB USB external drive, not realizing that I can't use it due to a limitation of the DD-WRT build only being able to mount 2TB or smaller drives due to lack of GPT support.  Does anyone know if OpenWRT has GPT support (or, more directly, whether or not 3TB external USB drives work with OpenWRT)?  Figured I'd ask before going through the hassle of making the switch...

Thanks!

I am not sure about your question. I think not many poeple tried.
I have tried only 1TB.

Do not bother using your HDD over USB on these routers. You will have a dramatic speed loose.
If I were you i would better exhange it for version with ethernet.

I just transferred from DD-WRT to OpenWRT on my WNDR3700v1.  Everything seems to be working, except I'm having difficulty getting my 1TB USB external drive shared on the local network.  With DD-WRT, I did this via Samba, and it pretty much automatically did this after mounting the drive and selecting it to share. 

Here's what I've done so far:
Under System->Mount Points:
Enabled: Checked
Device: Set to /dev/sda. 
Mount Point: /mnt. 
Filesystem: ext3 (and has data on it). 
Options: defaults. 
Root and Check are set to 'no'. 

I think it is properly mounted, but am not sure.

Under Services->Network Shares:

Hostname: OpenWrt
Description: Network Storage Server
Workgroup: WORKGROUP (which is what I have all my PCs set to)
Share home-directories: blank (not sure what this is)

Shared Directories:
Name: Network Storage 1
Path: /mnt
Allowed users: blank (I want to allow every device on the network access).
Read-only: unchecked
Allow guests: checked
Create Mask: Blank (not sure what this is)
Directory Mask: Blank (not sure what this is)

I don't see any shares under an "Network" on a Windows 7 PC (connected via ethernet).  OpenWRT is listed, but when I click on it, the following message pops up "It is not possible to disconnect at this time.  The connection is currently busy with a connect or disconnect operation".

Any ideas on what might be incorrectly set?  Thanks a bunch to anyone who can help out!

EDIT: I've been successful in mounting *other* drives that are formatted with EXT4.  That said, I need to use putty and manually mount them to /mnt, as the drive automatically mounts to /overlay after rebooting the router.  In LuCI, if I add a mount to /mnt, it doesn't remount the drive to /mnt for some reason - it only works via command line.  Perhaps I'm doing something wrong.

I've still been unsuccessful, however, in mounting the EXT3 formatted drive as either EXT3 or EXT4.  It doesn't auto-mount on reboot, via LuCI, or via command line.  *sigh*

(Last edited by Gigahurtz on 18 May 2014, 02:45)

Is FAT32 supported with this build?

EDIT: Evidently not.

(Last edited by Gigahurtz on 18 May 2014, 02:45)

I flashed the wndr3700 with an image from gzone.com/openwrt (OpenWrt Attitude Adjustment 12.09-r40431 / LuCI 0.11 Branch (0.11+svn10180))

and I have two things to say.

The first is that I have been trying to use openwrt as a pxe boot server, however, for some reason when booting using pxe, grub is telling me that nfs over tcp is not available. I noticed that nfsd is not installed nor is the server, and when I try installing it, I get dependency errors.

Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/attitude_a … r71xx.ipk.
Collected errors:
* satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for kmod-fs-nfsd:
*     kernel (= 3.3.8-1-d6597ebf6203328d3519ea3c3371a493) *     kernel (= 3.3.8-1-d6597ebf6203328d3519ea3c3371a493) *
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package kmod-fs-nfsd.

Secondly I would like to know what is going on in the wan side in this build. It shows that multi-wan is disabled and there doesn't seem to be any indication that it is enabled at all, however as I am subscribed for a 175/30Mbit fibre service, I am seeing 380/30. Not that I'm complaining, I just don't know what is going on. I have done tests from ookla, Aliant, Bell, Rogers. I would have never noticed this increase in download speed if it hadn't been for downloading a file in less than 20 seconds that would have normally took ~4 minutes.

UPDATE:  wshaper is the cause of this in an unconfigured state. Speed testing sites around the globe report 200-380 Mbps with wshaper and 80-175 Mbps without wshaper. Real world download speeds using multiple instances with wshaper resulted in 30MB/s and without, 17MB/s (rounding down). Far below synthetic online tests, but still significantly faster than what I am provisioned for.

(Last edited by lotacus on 25 May 2014, 13:53)

dynek wrote:

What firmware are you running?  Are you still seeing the problem?

I just installed Barrier Breaker r40846 on a WNDR3700v2, and WAN fails to link up with my cable modem.  I added a Gig-E switch between the cable modem and WNDR, and after quite some time the switch and WNDR link up at a reported 100Mbps Full Duples.  However, WAN performance is fairly bad and seems like it's actually running at 10Mbps.

Stock Netgear firmware doesn't have any issues.

Maybe I have a config issue, but I don't see anything obviously wrong in /etc/config/network.  Not sure what else to check.

1) Remove the switch.
2) connect WDR3700 WAN port to the cable modem
3) power cycle cable modem & WDR3700

Then it should work out of the box..

written_direcon wrote:

1) Remove the switch.
2) connect WDR3700 WAN port to the cable modem
3) power cycle cable modem & WDR3700

Then it should work out of the box..

It should, but it doesn't.  I tried w/o the switch, did a full power cycle of both devices.  Also tried replacing the ethernet cable.  The router and cable modem never establish link.

With the switch in place, the switch and cable modem link up almost immediately at 1000Mbps.

The switch and WNDR3700 take quite some time (many seconds) and eventually link up at 100Mbps.

With stock Netgear firmware on the WNDR3700, I don't recall seeing any issue establishing link between the router and cable modem.   Throughput was also 3x higher (various speed tests reported ~30Mbps with stock firmware; only getting <10Mbps now).

Back from the dead! In an effort to refresh my aging WNDR3700 I made a Barrier Breaker build based on r40863.

- OC to 760 MHz
- Compiled with -march=24kc -mtune=24kc
- Default SSID (password changeme)
- miniupnpd
- WPS/RADIO/RESET button support
- L2TP/IPSec VPN with kernel mode L2TP (xl2tpd from git)
- Multicast routed over VPN (i.e. use UPnP apps on your phone/pad over the VPN)
- Enabled utmp/wtmp login records (for last/who applets)
- Busybox saves ash history, enabled reverse search
- Increased log size to 64kb
- CONFIG_ATH_USER_REGD=y to support changing regdomain
- Dynamic DNS support
- tcpdump-mini

This time it's a minimal configuration, no web interface.

http://enduser.subsignal.org/~trondah

Does overclocking the CPU noticably increase WAN-LAN Throughput or is there any other noticable speed increases?

I'm sure you could see it in a benchmark. I'm just thinking why not smile

IPSec just isn't practical as a VPN setup, lots of hotspots don't offer passthrough. Decided to look into OpenVPN and thus r40876 is born. Once booted, you can find /etc/openvpn/OpenWRT.ovpn generated for you. Transfer it securely to your client and launch your favorite OpenVPN client (tested with TunnelBlick and the app "OpenVPN for Android"). The ovpn profile is complete with your own generated static key and current wan ip. It's configured for only one VPN client, point to point with static key. UDP port 443. Also has a hotplug script to launch igmpproxy when client is connected.

Wow this is amazing! Thank you very much!!! smile

I'm glad you found it useful. Not sure if these builds are needed anymore, but I'll be making changes to my needs anyway might as well share them. wink

I always thought OpenVPN would need better hardware, but it's performing amazingly well. Getting a respectable 20+ MBit through the VPN!

Hi arokh, any chance to post your .config and patches if you are using them? Smth like hnyman did - he posted it. THX

Config and diffs are in there already smile

New release adds automatic installation of jow's regd patch. When I set country to 00 (world), I can use any channel at full strength:

# iw phy1 info
Wiphy phy1
    max # scan SSIDs: 4
    max scan IEs length: 2261 bytes
    Coverage class: 0 (up to 0m)
    Device supports AP-side u-APSD.
    Device supports T-DLS.
    Available Antennas: TX 0x3 RX 0x3
    Configured Antennas: TX 0x3 RX 0x3
    Supported interface modes:
         * IBSS
         * managed
         * AP
         * AP/VLAN
         * WDS
         * monitor
         * mesh point
         * P2P-client
         * P2P-GO
    Band 2:
        Capabilities: 0x11ce
            HT20/HT40
            SM Power Save disabled
            RX HT40 SGI
            TX STBC
            RX STBC 1-stream
            Max AMSDU length: 3839 bytes
            DSSS/CCK HT40
        Maximum RX AMPDU length 65535 bytes (exponent: 0x003)
        Minimum RX AMPDU time spacing: 8 usec (0x06)
        HT TX/RX MCS rate indexes supported: 0-15
        Frequencies:
            * 5180 MHz [36] (30.0 dBm)
            * 5200 MHz [40] (30.0 dBm)
            * 5220 MHz [44] (30.0 dBm)
            * 5240 MHz [48] (30.0 dBm)
            * 5260 MHz [52] (30.0 dBm)
            * 5280 MHz [56] (30.0 dBm)
            * 5300 MHz [60] (30.0 dBm)
            * 5320 MHz [64] (30.0 dBm)
            * 5500 MHz [100] (30.0 dBm)
            * 5520 MHz [104] (30.0 dBm)
            * 5540 MHz [108] (30.0 dBm)
            * 5560 MHz [112] (30.0 dBm)
            * 5580 MHz [116] (30.0 dBm)
            * 5600 MHz [120] (30.0 dBm)
            * 5620 MHz [124] (30.0 dBm)
            * 5640 MHz [128] (30.0 dBm)
            * 5660 MHz [132] (30.0 dBm)
            * 5680 MHz [136] (30.0 dBm)
            * 5700 MHz [140] (30.0 dBm)
            * 5745 MHz [149] (30.0 dBm)
            * 5765 MHz [153] (30.0 dBm)
            * 5785 MHz [157] (30.0 dBm)
            * 5805 MHz [161] (30.0 dBm)
            * 5825 MHz [165] (30.0 dBm)
    valid interface combinations:
         * #{ managed, WDS } <= 2048, #{ AP, mesh point } <= 8, #{ P2P-client, P2P-GO } <= 1, #{ IBSS } <= 1,
           total <= 2048, #channels <= 1, STA/AP BI must match
         * #{ IBSS, AP, mesh point } <= 1,
           total <= 1, #channels <= 1, STA/AP BI must match, radar detect widths: { 20 MHz (no HT), 20 MHz }

HT Capability overrides:
         * MCS: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
         * maximum A-MSDU length
         * supported channel width
         * short GI for 40 MHz
         * max A-MPDU length exponent
         * min MPDU start spacing

Made new topic: https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=235376#p235376

(Last edited by arokh on 1 Jun 2014, 23:34)