OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Fully featured OpenWrt build for the WNDR3700 (NO LONGER MAINTAINED)

The content of this topic has been archived between 13 Apr 2013 and 6 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Nothing to do, same results sad
Tomorrow i'll retry the rc4 blackfire and i'll can tell you if the issue is only on your build or not.

See you wink

miniDLNA and NFS works perfectly.
I mounted the HDD attached to router on the WDTV Live player with NFS.
Samsung LCD 40c650 works perfectly with miniDLNA.
I try today, pure-ftpd, but I do not understand how to edit and save the config files.
I try this command: vi /etc/config/pure-ftpd and how save the file ?

Thanks

(Last edited by Eugen1968 on 16 Dec 2010, 11:12)

Eugen1968 wrote:

miniDLNA and NFS works perfectly.
I mounted the HDD attached to router on the WDTV Live player with NFS.
Samsung LCD 40c650 works perfectly with miniDLNA.
I try today, pure-ftpd, but I do not understand how to edit and save the config files.
I try this command: vi /etc/config/pure-ftpd and how save the file ?

Thanks

You could install nano and use it instead of vi wink

coatto87 wrote:

Mate, i tried this build https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 75#p123275 and it doesn't have the issue.
We have to understand where is the mistake.

I'm not convinced there is an issue, you haven't really provided any performance benchmarks. I suggest you make some and then make a ticket.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3104731/openwrt … pgrade.bin
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3104731/openwrt … actory.img

I rebuilt with backfire, you can try that.

(Last edited by arokh on 16 Dec 2010, 14:12)

This is a benchmark of backfire rc4.
I have installed, after the flash, these packages:

- vsftpd
- portmap
- kmod-fs-ext3
- kmod-fs-usb-storage
- kmod-fs-usb2
- kmod-usb-ohci

http://i56.tinypic.com/sw2udx.jpg

http://i52.tinypic.com/b4i7lv.jpg

As you can see, 21MB/s on reading and 17MB/s on writing.

(Last edited by coatto87 on 16 Dec 2010, 14:38)

And how exactly does this app measure throughput? What results are you getting with trunk? Did you try the backfire build I posted?

Here's a sequential write test:

root@OpenWrt sda1# time dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=1M count=256
256+0 records in
256+0 records out
real    0m 13.66s
user    0m 0.00s
sys    0m 3.99s

Connected is a 1.5TB 2.5" Seagate.

$ time dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=1M count=256
256+0 records in
256+0 records out
268435456 bytes (268 MB) copied, 7.96075 s, 33.7 MB/s

real    0m8.002s
user    0m0.000s
sys    0m0.500s

Same test on my laptop's SSD. 5 seconds faster.

root@OpenWrt:/mnt/sda1# time dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=1M count=256
256+0 records in
256+0 records out
real    0m 8.65s
user    0m 0.02s
sys    0m 3.73s

On svn24619 with 2,5 5400rpm hdd.

As fast as the SSD smile

arokh wrote:
coatto87 wrote:

Mate, i tried this build https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 75#p123275 and it doesn't have the issue.
We have to understand where is the mistake.

I'm not convinced there is an issue, you haven't really provided any performance benchmarks. I suggest you make some and then make a ticket.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3104731/openwrt … pgrade.bin
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3104731/openwrt … actory.img

I rebuilt with backfire, you can try that.

Thank you for rebuilding with backfire. This build is very stable with Wireless so keep on the good work! And enable even more features ;-)

Updated build. With a cable I get ~20MB/s reading from the USB drive through FTP, and ~15MB/s writing. I don't think there's any speed regressions over backfire.

(Last edited by arokh on 17 Dec 2010, 11:29)

arokh wrote:

Updated build. With a cable I get ~20MB/s reading from the USB drive through FTP, and ~15MB/s writing. I don't think there's any speed regressions over backfire.

sda1# time dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=1M count=256
256+0 records in
256+0 records out
real    0m 10.29s
user    0m 0.01s
sys    0m 3.00s

With your latest build sad

Looks good to me, keep in mind that command is just writing zeroes as fast as it can to disk. Depending on how fragmented the filesystem is results will vary. You are guaranteed to have some seconds difference depending on where you write.

Load up an FTP client and do some tests over cabled network, that should give you some solid performance measurements.

arokh wrote:

Looks good to me, keep in mind that command is just writing zeroes as fast as it can to disk. Depending on how fragmented the filesystem is results will vary. You are guaranteed to have some seconds difference depending on where you write.

Load up an FTP client and do some tests over cabled network, that should give you some solid performance measurements.

Well made, now it's ok.
You should change pure-ftpd with vsftpd and you'll see the difference big_smile
Another thing: samba doesn't work because you have to add OpenWrt in /etc/hosts:

127.0.0.1 localhost OpenWrt

Bye wink

coatto87 wrote:

Well made, now it's ok.

Meaning? You don't have any performance issues anymore, or your measurements were wrong?

You should change pure-ftpd with vsftpd and you'll see the difference big_smile

What difference would that be?

Another thing: samba doesn't work because you have to add OpenWrt in /etc/hosts:

127.0.0.1 localhost OpenWrt

Bye wink

You really shouldn't use OpenWrt as an alias to loopback. Other machines on the network will lookup OpenWrt as 127.0.0.1 as well. Samba works fine, you can use \\192.168.1.1\sda1.

arokh wrote:
coatto87 wrote:

Well made, now it's ok.

Meaning? You don't have any performance issues anymore, or your measurements were wrong?

You should change pure-ftpd with vsftpd and you'll see the difference big_smile

What difference would that be?

Another thing: samba doesn't work because you have to add OpenWrt in /etc/hosts:

127.0.0.1 localhost OpenWrt

Bye wink

You really shouldn't use OpenWrt as an alias to loopback. Other machines on the network will lookup OpenWrt as 127.0.0.1 as well. Samba works fine, you can use \\192.168.1.1\sda1.

I don't have performance issue anymore.
Vsftp is faster than pure-ftp.
Are you sure samba is working on your network?
Try this command:

root@OpenWrt /root# ps | grep smbd

Is there smbd in your processes?

I can confirm samba doesn't work, even with above poster fix

root@OpenWrt /root# ps | grep smbd
 2198 root      1340 S    grep smbd
root@OpenWrt /root# /etc/init.d/samba restart
sh: can't kill pid 2190: No such process
sh: can't kill pid 2188: No such process
sruon wrote:

I can confirm samba doesn't work, even with above poster fix

root@OpenWrt /root# ps | grep smbd
 2198 root      1340 S    grep smbd
root@OpenWrt /root# /etc/init.d/samba restart
sh: can't kill pid 2190: No such process
sh: can't kill pid 2188: No such process

Strange, have you reboot openwrt after the edit?

Multiple times, I'll retry just because I'm way too tired and might have fucked up.

Edit: Nope, nothing~ Might have to do with the fact I'm using WORKGROUP ?

Dunno, anyway giving credits where credit is due, new alternative firmware user, it has been a living hell to setup anything and this firmware is the one giving me the least troubles so far.

(Last edited by sruon on 17 Dec 2010, 12:57)

Hm, it works here. Anything in the logs? Is your /mnt/sda1 mounted?

Nothing in the logs and yeah it's mounted.

Could you add cups in your build?
I have many troubles to get it working from usb and on flash there isn't avaiable space left to install it.

Set syslog = 1 in smb.conf and check your logs after that. Did you upgrade from backfire? Maybe try a TFTP flash that erases everything.

@coatto87

The build is pretty packed already, there's no room for cups in there and I can think of more useful things to put in there first. If you won't be using the router as a NAS you are better off with the official builds as they leave more space for jffs2.