OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: TP-Link TL-WR741ND first install OpenWRT

The content of this topic has been archived between 13 Apr 2018 and 5 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

hello all
i have a problem with my device
i recently decide to use openwrt to my device model tp-wr741nd v4.25
so i download the firmware
openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr741nd-v4-squashfs-factory
and i installed it to my device
and then i tried to open it using chrome browser and write 192.168.1.1
but it doesn't load
i tried to open it with putty
it asked me for user name and password
and i don't know them
so any one know the username and password for the firmware or at least anyone know how to get the original frimware back ?

moh_kasab wrote:

hello all
i have a problem with my device
i recently decide to use openwrt to my device model tp-wr741nd v4.25
so i download the firmware
openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr741nd-v4-squashfs-factory
and i installed it to my device
and then i tried to open it using chrome browser and write 192.168.1.1
but it doesn't load
i tried to open it with putty
it asked me for user name and password
and i don't know them
so any one know the username and password for the firmware or at least anyone know how to get the original frimware back ?

The same problem, but only on МR 3220 v. 1.2. I do not know what to do ((

(Last edited by drammaturger on 29 Jun 2014, 13:32)

You telnet in using putty, user is root no password.
The snapshots firmware do not have LuCI, try attitude adjustment instead.

(Last edited by alphasparc on 29 Jun 2014, 15:27)

Don't know if this is the correct thread, but the wiki said to report here, so I'm doing that.
Installed 025e1115bcb4b4c3085b0c8ce682a579  openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr842n-v2-squashfs-factory.bin
Router hang up during install and would not give new IPv4 addresses, but after about 10 minutes of waiting and later forcefully restarting it gave me an address and everything works as expected (Trunk, no Luci yet)

Downloaded https://downloads.openwrt.org/barrier_b … actory.bin and installed to my TP-WR741ND v4.25
Works fine.

First telnet (later ssh) connection shows versions:
BusyBox v1.22.1 (2014-09-20 22:01:35 CEST) built-in shell (ash)
BARRIER BREAKER (14.07, r42625)

LuCI status page shows
Firmware Version: OpenWrt Barrier Breaker 14.07 / LuCI Trunk (0.12+svn-r10530)
Kernel Version: 3.10.49

(Last edited by yozi on 26 Nov 2014, 23:21)

Downloaded Chaos Calmer from the official downloads.
TP-WR741ND v4.25

SSH and LuCI both work, LuCI outputs versions:

Model    TP-Link TL-WR741N/ND v4
Firmware Version    OpenWrt Chaos Calmer 15.05 / LuCI (git-15.248.30277-3836b45)
Kernel Version    3.18.20

Hello everybody. Any experiences with flashing V5.1?

I am new

I just installed openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr741nd-v4-squashfs-factory.bin

thru standard 192.168.0.1 tp-link firmware upgrade..

now, my WR-741ND V4.22 is not pingable at all, i tried 192.168.1.1 no go

i found out that i get ping on 15 second after i turn on device..

any help?

no ping, what to do? is my device bricked?

Please reply

mdimovic wrote:

Please reply

Maybe you flashed a Snapshot they don't have LuCi interface, you need to do first login via SSH https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/firstlogin if it's a old build you will Telnet I ate the latest read
    Telnet was removed from trunk by 46809. In a newer trunk build, only ssh is available.
In case is a Snapshot you won't be able to download LuCi, you don't have space left, you will have to upload a CC 15.05.1 Bin via WinSCP & SSH

Hello, thank you for your answer,
Here is what i tried:
First of all my router is not pingable, my computer is connected with LAN1 port with TP-link wr-741nd v4.22 ,
I tried stfp ssh with WINSCP 192.168.1.1 with ports 24 and 22 ,
with username root and password admin, also i tried
with username admin and password root, no go..
i even tried from linux computer to ssh root@192.168.1.1 with password admin and root, still nothing,
i tried telnet 192.168.1.1, also nothing happend

Any advice? what i am missing?

TP-Link TL-WR741ND v5  got open wrt r46238  firmware.
Now the internet works with cable only.
No wifi and no login for 192.168.1.1
However the ipconfig / all  showing 192.168.1.1
No response for ping this address.
Has been try all different  login, does NOT works:
192.168.1.1/login
192.168.1.1/login.sh
192.168.1.1/index.html
192.168.1.1/cgi-bin/luci
No login at all. How could I login?

Hello. I have TL-WR741ND device.
Firmware Version: 3.17.0 Build 140410 Rel.58342n
Hardware Version: WR741ND v4 00000000

I would like to ask 3 questions:
1. Is there chance that OpenWRT firmware will increase the device wireless signal?
2. I read the instructions here h t t p s : //wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr741nd and I am not certain what upgrade firmware to flash after the install image to get web interface. The provided table indicates like there is no upgrade firmware with web gui for this device version.
3. My original firmware says it is version 3.17.0. However, the latest found is 3.16.6. Any hint where to get the 3.17.0 one?

I found that some user flashed incorrect upgrade image. However, the correct upgrade image for version v4 was not mentioned.

joesewer wrote:

My device is a TL-WR741ND V4.
I've installed this firmware from the original browser interface: h t t p : //downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr741nd-v4-squashfs-factory.bin
Then I connected via Telnet and set the root password. Rebooted router was working.
Now I wanted to install the browser interface according to the instructions:

cd /tmp
wget h t t p : //downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr741nd-v1-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
mv openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr741nd-v1-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin tplink.bin
mtd -r write /tmp/tplink.bin firmware

After reboot the device is bricked.
Can I still fix it?

nebbia88 wrote:

you flashed a v1 firmware to a v4 router.. you will need to connect a ttl serial console to debrick..

re 2: snapshots do not come with LuCI, but stable versions do.

Whenever you are searching for firmware downloads, use the Table of Hardware and filter for your model and version.

Thank you for the response.
However, my device has 4 MB flash memory.
According to this page lede-project.org/docs/guide-quick-start/factory_installation the GUI is not certain.
This page lede-project.org/supported_devices says it will not be installed.
I also found some user reporting that it will not be installed in this case.
However, I did not find real installation experience so I am not sure.

Again: snapshots do not come with LuCI, but stable versions do.

This page lede-project.org/supported_devices says it will not be installed.

No, it says:

won't be able to install GUI (LuCI)

i.e. if the image you flashed comes without LuCI (=snapshot image), you will not be able to install LuCI.
Since v4 has stable support, there is no need to install LuCI AFTER flashing the image, because stable images come already with LuCI preinstalled.

I see. Thank you for the explanation and for your patience too. I'll flash it when I return home.

Thanks to all. I followed your advice and all went fine.

I flashed successfully factory and sysupgrade images. Device and web gui is functional. Devices, which are connected to integrated LAN switch, can access Internet.

I configured wireless access point (incl. seting country code and enabling radio). I can connect from wireless devices to the access point but the Internet Service Provider system prompts me to register new MAC address. The number of MAC addresses are limited and I have many devices so there is no way to register them all + when I have some visitor then I would like him to have immediate access.

So it seems that devices connected to LAN ports are represented by WAN MAC while the devices connected through wireless are not. I suppose that in the original device firmware the wireless devices were represented by WAN MAC.

I am quite struggling here. I did not give it up but any hint would be appreciated.

==
I went outside to get some fresh air and it probbaly cleaned my head. I found out the cause of my problem. The wireless network interface had enabled access to LAN and WAN. Although I did not mess with the configuration, I am not sure if it was by default or by my mistake. Wireless devices obtained IP address from ISP DHCP server rather than my router DHCP server. When I disabled access to WAN then the wireless devices obtained IP address from router DHCP server and they were able to access Internet.

(Last edited by ace960 on 8 Feb 2018, 14:45)

The discussion might have continued from here.