OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Tp-link Tl-wr703n

The content of this topic has been archived between 18 Mar 2015 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

timo wrote:
twinclouds wrote:
johan666 wrote:

Be reminded that the mac address is not store inside the bootloader.

Then, where it is?

The mac addr is stored in same mtd0 where bootloader is also in, at offset 0x1fc00-0x1fc05 (6 bytes)

And I finally managed to change the mac addr after making my own build, thanks to mod info at .  Now my WR703N can change its identity freely wink

Anyway, that area called art.
As I can just it freely, I don't find the need to alt. the hw default.

Just like while I am taking this little router with my business trip, I will change the mac address before doing anything "special".
But I still don't need to touch the mtd0.

(Last edited by johan666 on 20 Feb 2012, 10:42)

Initially I also thought the wireless mac addr is in art (mtd4) but good thing its not. 

So for our WR703n, changing the macaddr in mtd0 will take effect globally for both lan and wireless.  Tested and confirmed working.

@timo:
Can you explain what you did in order to change the mac address stored in mtd0?  I read the post you referred to but I am still not sure how to do that.

(Last edited by twinclouds on 20 Feb 2012, 14:03)

I edited these 2 files in ../target/linux/ar71xx/files/drivers/mtd/
- wrt160nl_part.c
- tplinkpart.c

look for lines ending with MTD_WRITEABLE,

trx_parts[0].mask_flags = MTD_WRITEABLE;
trx_parts[4].mask_flags = MTD_WRITEABLE;
parts[0].mask_flags = MTD_WRITEABLE;
parts[4].mask_flags = MTD_WRITEABLE;

then replace with 0:

trx_parts[0].mask_flags = 0;
trx_parts[4].mask_flags = 0;
parts[0].mask_flags = 0;
parts[4].mask_flags = 0;

and 'make clean' + 'make'.

sysupgrade the patched fw. 

Backup mtd0 (very important) to a file, patch new mac-addr at offset 0x1fc00 and flash back to mtd0 with 'mtd write file mtd0'.

Before flashing and reboot, check and doublecheck the file was patched and flashed correctly. 

There is no failsafe and no recovery for any mistakes!

Thanks for your quick reply.  The last step sounds dangerous.  Is there any way only changing these bytes but not reflash the entire mtd0?

timo wrote:

Initially I also thought the wireless mac addr is in art (mtd4) but good thing its not. 

So for our WR703n, changing the macaddr in mtd0 will take effect globally for both lan and wireless.  Tested and confirmed working.

tks for the discovery.
Just like, I would also like to change mobile's imei....  (it is illegal in most country)

(Last edited by johan666 on 21 Feb 2012, 08:43)

maurer wrote:

In Luci click Network, then WAN, then select UMTS instead of pppoe,static dynamic orwhatever you use now
there change APN to your match your provider and optionally username and pass (only if needed by your provider - usually not)
then change /dev/ttyUSB2 to /dev/ttyUSB0 if you use a Huawei modem.
But the main issue is that your modem to be recongnised and switched.
further reading here: http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/3gdongle

Hi maurer, will this version download work on a v1.5 703n?

yes it will

twinclouds wrote:

Thanks for your quick reply.  The last step sounds dangerous.  Is there any way only changing these bytes but not reflash the entire mtd0?

If you just want to change mac address,
just do it in settings, no need to touch the mtd.

johan666 wrote:
twinclouds wrote:

If you just want to change mac address,
just do it in settings, no need to touch the mtd.

I tried using macaddr in network or wireless files in /etc/config.  However, then wifi always stop working properly.  My notebook or tablet can see it but cannot login.

maurer wrote:

yes it will

many thanks

twinclouds wrote:

No other way, mtd writes to the whole mtd0 partition, you have to dump the whole mtd0 first, then patch those bytes and write it back.

timo wrote:
twinclouds wrote:

No other way, mtd writes to the whole mtd0 partition, you have to dump the whole mtd0 first, then patch those bytes and write it back.

I tried using nm in uboot to change these values.  I tried 9f01fc00 and bf01fc00 because these address supposed to be corresponding to the flash rom position.  I can change 9f01fc0x values but it does not stick (it's buffered).  For bf01fc0x, they simple not change.  I guess these positions are protected.  In general, there is a "protect" uboot commend to protect or unprotect certain memory locations but this command is not available for 703n.

(Last edited by twinclouds on 22 Feb 2012, 06:45)

I flashed my WR703N with the Openwrt bin file and now I can't connect to it via Wifi. When I use a Lan cable, I see TP-Link_E38048 but I can't connect to it using 192.168.1.1 at all. Please help! Am I holding an expensive brick now?

I'm pretty much a noob at this.

Does anyone have a working serial driver for this little beast?

I want to use the serial port but can't find anyting on drivers.

Any help would be appreciated.

Haku1004 wrote:

Does anyone have a working serial driver for this little beast?

I want to use the serial port but can't find anyting on drivers.

Any help would be appreciated.

Which cable are you using?  The driver should be for a particular cable.

If you are talking about usb, then the kmod-serial drivers appear to be absent for the wr-703n in trunk.  I had thought they had been there several weeks ago, but I may be mistaken.  You would want, for instance, drivers like these which are available for the NSLU2:

kmod-usb-serial-ch341
kmod-usb-serial-cp210x
kmod-usb-serial-pl2303

To get these at this point it would look like you would have to compile your own version.  I would hope that a full complement of usb drivers would be available for this little device.

lizby wrote:

If you are talking about usb, then the kmod-serial drivers appear to be absent for the wr-703n in trunk.  I had thought they had been there several weeks ago, but I may be mistaken.  You would want, for instance, drivers like these which are available for the NSLU2:

kmod-usb-serial-ch341
kmod-usb-serial-cp210x
kmod-usb-serial-pl2303

To get these at this point it would look like you would have to compile your own version.  I would hope that a full complement of usb drivers would be available for this little device.

But what about that?
http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/ … ar71xx.ipk

flutey wrote:

I'm pretty much a noob at this.

you should have read more info before flashing...

you tried "telnet 192.168.1.1"?

carefully follow this:

http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/firstlogin

(Last edited by nebbia88 on 24 Feb 2012, 12:19)

Re: http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/ … ar71xx.ipk

Hmmm.  That's right, and I can find it now, with a date of Feb 19, but I couldn't find it last night.  So ... probable user error on my part, but perplexing since I have found it many times before.

Hello everybody;

I just bought a new  TL-WR703N, I got it from the chinese market. Now I need some help in two problems
1) concerning configuring and managing the device through main menus on the left of the web-based utility, this menus is shown in Chinese language so is there any way to make it show in English Language.
2) The quick installation guide for this device is also in Chinese language, how can I get/download it in English.

Thx in advance.:) smile

Check the openWrt wiki for this device--it tells you which Chinese item to click.  Also, if you move your mouse over an item, the rollover text may give you a clue.

KingTut wrote:

Hello everybody;

I just bought a new  TL-WR703N, I got it from the chinese market. Now I need some help in two problems
1) concerning configuring and managing the device through main menus on the left of the web-based utility, this menus is shown in Chinese language so is there any way to make it show in English Language.
2) The quick installation guide for this device is also in Chinese language, how can I get/download it in English.

Thx in advance.:) smile

You can simply use "Google translate" to translate the words.

And just simply look for "????"(system tools) , then go to ???? (firmware update)

This model officially just for China market, so there is only simplified chinese.

I'd like to configure a WR703N as a standalone device, connected to my AP in "sta" mode, with the ethernet connection available so that I can plug in my laptop to configure the device if necessary.

I'd like for the device to be able to serve a web page, as well as have connection to the outside world--for instance, to send an email if an out-of-spec condition is detected by a microprocessor connected via usb-serial.

I've read and reread the network articles in the wiki, and have played with many configurations, but I have not gotten one to work.  For some, the wifi works only when the ethernet cable is plugged in, for others, wifi doesn't work at all, tho iwconfig shows that the device is connected to the AP.

Does anyone have "wireless" and "network" config files (and maybe "firewall") which would enable this?

(Last edited by lizby on 26 Feb 2012, 22:06)

lizby wrote:

I'd like to configure a WR703N as a standalone device, connected to my AP in "sta" mode, with the ethernet connection available so that I can plug in my laptop to configure the device if necessary.

I'd like for the device to be able to serve a web page, as well as have connection to the outside world--for instance, to send an email if an out-of-spec condition is detected by a microprocessor connected via usb-serial.

I've read and reread the network articles in the wiki, and have played with many configurations, but I have not gotten one to work.  For some, the wifi works only when the ethernet cable is plugged in, for others, wifi doesn't work at all, tho iwconfig shows that the device is connected to the AP.

Does anyone have "wireless" and "network" config files (and maybe "firewall") which would enable this?

I'm also checking on it.

http://www.tp-link.com.cn/pages/imageuploadfolder/20111012112022197.gif

With the original firmware(chinese), it contain something like pre-defined profile to make configuration easier.
Working mode : 3G / Router / AP
Wifi : AP / Repeater / Bridge with AP / Client

However with openwrt, we need to do it all manually.