OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Dir-601 B1

The content of this topic has been archived between 3 Feb 2018 and 1 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

The patches have been built and uploaded to the trunk repository for the Dir-601 B1. If anybody wants an image they will have to build it themselves using the image builder. http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/build#prerequisites  According to the developer, the online trunk images are built with all packages installed.  As a result the images are too big to fit on the actual device, so are not built.  This seems to apply to most Dlink devices.

Thanks to developer Gabor Juhos for the necessary patches.

Thanks for this! I managed to compile trunk on my Ubuntu 13.04 x86-64 box on first try (a credit to the OpenWRT developers, NOTHING compiles for me first time). If anyone else is interested, the .bin that correctly flashed to my DIR-601b1 is at:

https://googledrive.com/host/0B0YvUuHHn … -601b1.bin

I can tell you it worked for me but I take exactly no credit or responsibility for how it does for you.

Jay

Success! I built an image and loaded it onto my DIR-601 B1. Then I configured it for client mode

http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/rou … masquerade

and it works. I have been waiting for this for a long time. Thanks to uvray313, Gabor, and others for getting this done.

Note: I tried adding luci to get the web interface. There is not enough drive space to complete the post install configuration. But I noticed that there is supposedly 14 MB available in /tmp. Can the partitioning be re-arranged to make more space available?

Add luci to your image build.

My thanks to jay0lee for that image; it works a charm.

As for the LuCI install, I had to perform the minimalistic install outlined at the bottom of http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/luci.essentials

You don't have to do an offline install, though.  You can just run the big long command line and replace:

do opkg install /tmp/luci-offline-packages/$pkg*.ipk

with

do opkg install $pkg

without downloading the packages first (assuming you've set up Internet connectivity first).

I had to erase my overlay to clear out the failed install first, though (I think it was "mtd -r erase rootfs_data" or somesuch).

This is exciting stuff, just got my used router in the mail today off ebay and was disappointed that it wasn't an A1 running ddwrt preloaded (as advertised)...

so this is good to hear I still have an alt firmware option. For the folks that have loaded the image, is it running smoothly with no issues? it'll be my first time using openwrt, so thought I'd ask before jumping in. Thanks!

I am using both A1 and B1 revisions without issue.

A silly question that may not belong here, but I'd appreciate some pointers.  I would just like to have a basic wireless AP setup. I did this:
- flashed the openwrt .bin file on my DIR-601 router
- installed luci via the command line (ie. my router was connected to the internet to download packages)
- added a wireless network, choosing 'lan' as the attached network

Connecting from the wireless clients, I can't connect to the internet, though my router can via ssh. I'm probably missing some basic config to route traffic between the wan and the lan, but not sure what that is. If anyone can help point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it!

Sounds like your computer NIC has no or the wrong default gateway address.

I'm having the same problem. Tried to set up as wireless client, works on A1 version but not on B1

Pack, thanks for sharing. still having the problem myself. at first I thought it was a DNS issue but then checked and wireless client can't access internet via ip addresses either.

The firmware seems to detect a Trendnet router instead of the dir-601 b1, could there be some hardware/vlan config that's wrongly assumed causing this? Anyone got wireless ap setup working fine? thanks.

fwah23, I am seeing exactly the same thing. No firewall installed either. Maybe the image the image Jay posted has a few bugs? Tried to compile on my own, and did not get very far. lol

I found a discussion on slickdeals where a user mpk2 posted his build, with gargoyle as the UI instead of luci.

http://www.freefilehosting.net/gargoyle … r601-b1-na

Loaded it up (via d-link recovery mode via reset button) and I had a working wireless router in 5 minutes!
Don't have a setup right now to allow builds, so really appreciate just dealing with the binaries.

Anyone else who just wants a working wireless router setup with hopefully better functioning firmware, hope this helps.
Thanks to all the devs who made this possible.

Hello, I have a router TP-Link TL-MR3020V1 I upgrade to the newest version march 2013 using wifi and now I can not access to the wifi... I have tried 30-30-30 reset but nothing happened. The router is completely operating but I can not conect because the version has a pre-encryption feature to wifi so I don´t know that password.

I dont know about programming. I need restore my router or eliminate the predefined password... I can not access to the GUI

Thanks fwah23 will try it out

Thanks again fwah23 works very well. Weird thing though, if the router loses power or reboots I lose all the info I entered into the gui . Then I have to start from scratch or load a previous save.

(Last edited by pack on 15 Jun 2013, 05:27)

pack wrote:

Thanks again fwah23 works very well. Weird thing though, if the router loses power or reboots I lose all the info I entered into the gui . Then I have to start from scratch or load a previous save.

Realized I had the same issue, checked with mpk2 again and he pointed me at another luci build here:

bit.ly/16CgroV

That one works for me through reboot as well. good luck.

uvray313 wrote:

The patches have been built and uploaded to the trunk repository for the Dir-601 B1

Can you offer a URL for the patches?   

fwiw, ebay has a lot of dir-601 B1 refurbs on offer cheap, listed as dir-601 RE.

Again thank you fwah23. Works perfect

hxxps://dev.openwrt.org/browser/trunk/target/linux/ar71xx/generic/profiles?rev=36786&order=name

x's to t's

pack: thanks.

Nice! Thanks guys!

I was about to desolder the CMOS Flash chip off the board and program it with a copy of openWRT to see how it would go but it appears I don't need to do that anymore XD

I had a little journey with this router and this thread was incredibly helpful, so I want to give something back.  I purchased a D-Link Refurbished DIR-601/RE from Amazon for $12.99 (with Prime) with the intent to use it in client mode.  It is this router, with the B1 hardware version.  I looked for a dd-wrt image to use, but didn't find one.  I did thankfully get pointed here. 

Long story short, most of the links to images were broken by the time I got here.  The only one that worked was the very first one from jay0lee, and that build didn't have luci and was a little low on space to work with.  I bit the bullet and built my own image from source.  It's actually not too bad.  As jay0lee says, credit to the OpenWRT devs. 

Here's a link for my builds that hopefully keeps working: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= … p=sharing.  The folder includes all three images that my build spit out.  Not sure what the exact difference between the normal and the -NA image is, but you can try them both.  I used the sysupgrade image  because I already had jay0lee's build installed.  I haven't tried the other two, but please do and let me know what happens. 

I cut as much as I could out of the build to keep the size down.  The only thing that might matter to someone is that I cut PPP (and thus PPPoE).  I built with the micro c-lib rather than the standard one, and I think that makes opkg unhappy when trying to install things.  Hopefully the build has everything you need though.

After installing, I tried the various methods to setup something like client mode.  This is the one that worked for me: http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/relayclient.  The build does include relayd.

Thanks everyone who has contributed to this thread.  Hopefully this helps some wayward internet soul.

I compiled an image and loaded in my dir-601 Rev B1, and the device "bricked".  used dlink's recovery mode, and loaded Jay0lee's image, it worked fine, but all my file systems are read only and only 64k left on /root.  so I used sysupdate and the "...sysupdate bin file uploaded by dhuse, and it seems everything worked.

thanks to both jay0lee and dhuse!

could you post your .config file, so that I can compare it with mine so that I may figure out why my build bricked the device?

Hi,
I have a Dir-601 B1 and have never installed a third party software on  a router before.
Which image should I use to do so?

Thanks