OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Dir-601 B1

The content of this topic has been archived between 3 Feb 2018 and 1 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

The board on this router has the pinouts for a USB header. I'm feeling adventerous and have no issue trying to get it to work if someone wants to make sure there is a firmware compiled with USB in mind.

fwah23 wrote:
pack wrote:

Thanks again fwah23 works very well. Weird thing though, if the router loses power or reboots I lose all the info I entered into the gui . Then I have to start from scratch or load a previous save.

Realized I had the same issue, checked with mpk2 again and he pointed me at another luci build here:

bit.ly/16CgroV

That one works for me through reboot as well. good luck.

Sorry to ask, but does this build support repeater or repeater bridge functionality?

Liquidops wrote:
fwah23 wrote:
pack wrote:

Thanks again fwah23 works very well. Weird thing though, if the router loses power or reboots I lose all the info I entered into the gui . Then I have to start from scratch or load a previous save.

Realized I had the same issue, checked with mpk2 again and he pointed me at another luci build here:

bit.ly/16CgroV

Sorry to ask, but does this build support repeater or repeater bridge functionality?

Yes. I'm using it as a repeater and it's working perfectly. Really happy that I found this thread. The build is working perfectly so far

Hey guys,

I've been trying to get a usb interface working for this router. my strengths are with hardware far more than software however....

I need a version of the firmware compiled with usb in the kernel (if I understand correctly) to be able to access the usb port. I can't even verify if my interface is working properly otherwise. I issue lsusb and I get the error "unable to initialize libusb: -99"

I decided to do a bit of digging because other routers I know require a patch to get the usb to work. In luci the dlink router says its a TRENDnet TEW-712BR. I decided to add the lines #include "dev-usb.h"  and ath79_register_usb(); to /target/linux/ar71xx/files/arch/mips/ath79/mach-tew-712br.c  but this doesn't do anything, so my guess is this is not the right file and or I am not in the right place.

I've also socketed the eeprom so any changes I make to the firmware can very easily be reverted back to stock firmware. I noticed that the luci interface doesn't seem to want to flash new firmwares as I compile them so this has helped me a lot.

I really appriciate any help I might recieve. I will be in the meantime tinkering on my own and see how far I can get.

nedemai wrote:

I've been trying to get a usb interface working for this router. my strengths are with hardware far more than software however....

I need a version of the firmware compiled with usb in the kernel (if I understand correctly) to be able to access the usb port. I can't even verify if my interface is working properly otherwise. I issue lsusb and I get the error "unable to initialize libusb: -99"

I decided to do a bit of digging because other routers I know require a patch to get the usb to work. In luci the dlink router says its a TRENDnet TEW-712BR. I decided to add the lines #include "dev-usb.h"  and ath79_register_usb(); to /target/linux/ar71xx/files/arch/mips/ath79/mach-tew-712br.c  but this doesn't do anything, so my guess is this is not the right file and or I am not in the right place.

is it possible that is something related to R211 and R212 on the board...? which are just beside the usb connector and seems to be missing.

is your usb port is working... do you have any power on?

this could be useful :
http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl- … .interface

dhuse:  I went to your link on Google Drive an it says the folder is empty.  have you moved it to another location?

Hello guys
Me need full dump flash Dir-601 b1
Help me Please

cyberbizness wrote:
nedemai wrote:

is it possible that is something related to R211 and R212 on the board...? which are just beside the usb connector and seems to be missing.

is your usb port is working... do you have any power on?

this could be useful :
http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl- … .interface

Yea I realize the resistors were missing, on the other side the traces go all the way back to the SoC. The link you supplied is the interface I used to connect the USB to the SoC.

I used 5V straight from the power supply since its 5V 1A. Works fine for charging an iphone at least.

What I need is for the firmware to be patched for USB if I understand correctly. I may eventually get around to figuring it out on my own, but it is just a side project.

san888 wrote:

Hello guys
Me need full dump flash Dir-601 b1
Help me Please

When you say full flash dump do you mean uboot and everything? I can supply this.

The luci build that fwah posted works well, but after a few days, the wifi signal disappeared. When I changed the transmitter power level and saved, wifi came back to life. Don't know if it is a problem with the luci firmware, or with the router itself. Changing the power level did not cause the router to reboot btw., so it leads me to believe the failure was in the firmware programming.
Anyone else had this problem?
It's a shame that the gargoyle firmware doesn't save the settings as it seems to work very well.

(Last edited by limboz on 18 Aug 2013, 05:06)

nedemai wrote:

When you say full flash dump do you mean uboot and everything? I can supply this.

Yes, it suits me.
Thank you.
I want turn TL-WR340GD V4 (AR9331) in DIR-601 B1.
I have programmator and ability increase to RAM
I'm from Russia, I apologize for my English.

(Last edited by san888 on 18 Aug 2013, 09:00)

san888 wrote:
nedemai wrote:

Yes, it suits me.
Thank you.
I want turn TL-WR340GD V4 (AR9331) in DIR-601 B1.
I have programmator and ability increase to RAM
I'm from Russia, I apologize for my English.

Here is the full D-link 601 B1 firmware pulled right from the EEPROM CMOS Flash IC, U-Boot and all

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8dzmeef3iwkzz … rmware.bin

I won't be keeping this link up forever so please let me know when you get the file.

nedemai wrote:

I won't be keeping this link up forever so please let me know when you get the file.

I downloaded it file
Thank you very much.
Hello from russia

(Last edited by san888 on 19 Aug 2013, 20:35)

Has anybody successfully installed Qos over Luci?  I got the error message when I tried to install qos, which looks like the kernel is not compatible. Can anybody build a version with kernel 3.10.4-1?

The error message I got when installing luci-app-qos:
---------------------------
Installing luci-app-qos (svn-r9885-1) to root...
Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/ … r71xx.ipk.
Multiple packages (kmod-ipt-core and kmod-ipt-core) providing same name marked HOLD or PREFER. Using latest.
Multiple packages (kmod-ipt-core and kmod-ipt-core) providing same name marked HOLD or PREFER. Using latest.
Multiple packages (kmod-ipt-conntrack and kmod-ipt-conntrack) providing same name marked HOLD or PREFER. Using latest.
Multiple packages (kmod-ipt-conntrack and kmod-ipt-conntrack) providing same name marked HOLD or PREFER. Using latest.

Collected errors:
* satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for luci-app-qos:
*     kernel (= 3.10.4-1-50652680d61a20232635bddc6197dc58) *     kernel (= 3.10.4-1-50652680d61a20232635bddc6197dc58) *     kernel (= 3.10.4-1-50652680d61a20232635bddc6197dc58) *     kernel (= 3.10.4-1-50652680d61a20232635bddc6197dc58) *     kernel (= 3.10.4-1-50652680d61a20232635bddc6197dc58) *     kernel (= 3.10.4-1-50652680d61a20232635bddc6197dc58) *     kernel (= 3.10.4-1-50652680d61a20232635bddc6197dc58) *
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package luci-app-qos.

Anybody have a link to a OpenWRT  firmware file for the DIR-601 B1 that is active, and won't install crapware/trojans on my PC? As I understand it, luci must be built in for browser access?

Thanks in advance!

fns

Also wanted to say I have space on my business server where I can put this for access by anyone who would like to download it, without any irritating ads/trojans/etc.. If someone can send me a bin file, I'll put it up... Send me an email and I will reply with another email address where an attachment can be sent.

Thanks!

Is there a sysupgrade version of this firmware available? Since when I try to upgrade to this f/w, it complains about incompatible version.

I've flashed another fw from this thread with luci, but the router is completely unstable. After reboots, it doesn't come back up - I have to try the power-down-reset-power-up procedure to eventually make it work.

Stoned99 wrote:
Liquidops wrote:
fwah23 wrote:

bit.ly/16CgroV

Yes. I'm using it as a repeater and it's working perfectly. Really happy that I found this thread. The build is working perfectly so far

fwah23 wrote:

bit.ly/16CgroV

This build is working fine for me as both a wireless repeater / bridge and as a wired to wireless bridge. I was having issues when roaming between two APs when the Dir-601 was set up as a wireless client and AP, but I think that was due to sharing channels as it works fine when it's uplink is wired.

I attempted to upgrade to a trunk build, as it does make me a bit hesitant to run with firmware downloaded from a bit.ly link. However, the October 17th sysupgrade build from http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/ … pgrade.bin failed to reboot and I had to use recovery and reflash. Anyone else having success with those builds?

Also - the bit.ly link is triggering their malware detection, but I have to assume that's because it's a binary file that they have no concept of.

jay0lee wrote:

Thanks for this! I managed to compile trunk on my Ubuntu 13.04 x86-64 box on first try (a credit to the OpenWRT developers, NOTHING compiles for me first time). If anyone else is interested, the .bin that correctly flashed to my DIR-601b1 is at:

https://googledrive.com/host/0B0YvUuHHn … -601b1.bin

I can tell you it worked for me but I take exactly no credit or responsibility for how it does for you.

Jay

I successfully installed this on my Router too (THANK YOU!!!! big_smile) But there was one problem, the wifi flashing thingy didnt even light up. Couldn't connect to the web, please tell a fix because i want to use this as a repeater.

fwah23 wrote:

I found a discussion on slickdeals where a user mpk2 posted his build, with gargoyle as the UI instead of luci.

http://www.freefilehosting.net/gargoyle … r601-b1-na

Loaded it up (via d-link recovery mode via reset button) and I had a working wireless router in 5 minutes!
Don't have a setup right now to allow builds, so really appreciate just dealing with the binaries.

Anyone else who just wants a working wireless router setup with hopefully better functioning firmware, hope this helps.
Thanks to all the devs who made this possible.

I used this firmware and It initially worked. I setup all the information and saved a backup. I tried to restore the backup and it did not work. After a couple of tries, the router is not working. I got into the recovery mode and tried to do a firstboot and I get 

mount: mountin /dev/mtdblock7 on /overlay failed: Invalid argument

. Also I noticed that df shows 0 available for rootfs and /dev/root.

Is there a way to recover from this

Thanks

dhuse wrote:

Here's a link for my builds that hopefully keeps working: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= … p=sharing.  The folder includes all three images that my build spit out.  Not sure what the exact difference between the normal and the -NA image is, but you can try them both.

I just tried this on a stock router on which I had not yet tried to install any third party firmware. SUCCESS! It was the -NA version that worked for me. (The other two were rejected as not being legit firmware files.)

I'm very happy to have the router up and running -- my first install of third party firmware on a network device! However, what I'm really after is the QoS feature. I tried installing qos-scripts and luci-app-qos, both through the browser and from the command line, but in both cases I get dependency problems. "Cannot satisfy the following dependencies..."

I've been googling this but have yet to come up with a solution. Arg! But still, delighted to have a working router with minimal effort! Thanks to all who have made this software and this thread so useful.

Here's a build I compiled last night for my DIR-601 B1.  I have pretty simple needs so it's basically the default config plus Luci, QOS, and UPNP.

I was able to flash with the D-Link web interface and then got right in via Luci with no problem.  I set everything up and haven't had any issues yet except that the status page claims that the router is a TEW-712BR (it isn't).

Hostname    OpenWrt
Model    TRENDnet TEW-712BR
Firmware Version    OpenWrt Barrier Breaker r38971 / LuCI Trunk (svn-r9934)
Kernel Version    3.10.18

Not sure what to make of this, but no adverse effects so far.

(Last edited by Jalopicus on 2 Dec 2013, 01:21)

Jalopicus wrote:

Here's a build I compiled last night for my DIR-601 B1.  I have pretty simple needs so it's basically the default config plus Luci, QOS, and UPNP.

I was able to flash with the D-Link web interface and then got right in via Luci with no problem.  I set everything up and haven't had any issues yet except that the status page claims that the router is a TEW-712BR (it isn't).

Hostname    OpenWrt
Firmware Version    OpenWrt Barrier Breaker r38971 / LuCI Trunk (svn-r9934)
Kernel Version    3.10.18

Not sure what to make of this, but no adverse effects so far.

I registered to just say thanks. I used this one last night and it is working great so far.

Thanks Jalopicus! I will try this and report back when I get a chance.  As far as the model thing, I've been using one of the Luci builds that was posted in this thread for 6 months now and it's been working great, but this is what it reports:

Firmware Version     OpenWrt Barrier Breaker r36935 / LuCI Trunk (svn-r9842)
Kernel Version    3.8.13

So I don't think the wrong model reporting makes any difference.

antiflag1980 wrote:

Thanks Jalopicus! I will try this and report back when I get a chance.  As far as the model thing, I've been using one of the Luci builds that was posted in this thread for 6 months now and it's been working great, but this is what it reports:

Firmware Version     OpenWrt Barrier Breaker r36935 / LuCI Trunk (svn-r9842)
Kernel Version    3.8.13

So I don't think the wrong model reporting makes any difference.

Nah it makes no difference at all.

I only wish I knew what all I could safely remove to maybe give this router more open RAM, so that the update stuff worked.

(Last edited by steveo1978 on 17 Dec 2013, 19:08)

is there any  third party firmware. that works for this router like gargoyle