OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: TP-Link TL-MR3020 Support

The content of this topic has been archived between 16 Jun 2013 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Cylinder wrote:

I downloaded the OpenWRT (openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-mr3020-v1-squashfs-factory) image and uploaded it using the TP-Link WebUI. (...) On my laptop a wireless network appears "carrierwrt-6A65C0"

Oh boy, you seem to have dug yourself into a hole there.

Apparantly, you downloaded your image from http://carrierwrt.org/, not from official OpenWrt repositories. CarrierWrt seems to be an implementation of the anyfi.net software on top of a heavily locked-down OpenWrt. This environment is not intended to power personal routers but rather to extend a carrier's existing network through distributed routers, receiving the credentials to connect from the carrier's network. From this standpoint it makes sense that they also disable the failsafe mechanism.

Cunningly, they don't give any kind of warning that this firmware may make your router useless, and they even name their firmware images indistinguishably from official OpenWrt builds.

To be quite honest, I don't completely understand their published patches, maybe someone who's more versed in reading their patches can help out here. However, I do get that they set a random password to the Wifi, whatever sense that may make. They set all the wired interfaces to WAN (using DHCP) and open the firewall to HTTP and SSH access, so they can access it remotely, but I cannot find any credentials one would have to use to get access.

So you might be lucky: Try to connect your MR3020 to another router that serves DHCP, have it get an IP address, and try to connect to the LuCI interface through that other router. If you're lucky, no root password is set and you can get into the web interface and flash a proper OpenWrt firmware. This time, please, one you download from http://downloads.openwrt.org/

(Last edited by metai on 15 May 2014, 21:19)

I have no idea where the image came from but it's probably from here http://carrierwrt.org/download/latest/rgw/untested/
I let a boy who is helping me get the image since i didn't have my glasses, but I would probably made the same mistake.
I tried connecting the router to my home router that has DHCP but it didn't give it an IP. I scanned the network from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.255 and only got 2 IP's (my laptop's and routers). I will try to guess the wireless password...
Thank you!

Edit: Is there a way to restore firmware without opening the router? I have no soldering or electronic skills..

(Last edited by Cylinder on 15 May 2014, 22:58)

What do you mean it is wrong? I am using that way without problem

metai wrote:
msnews wrote:

On Network--WIFI---Interface Configuration, change Mode to "Access Point". This will let you get ip address from the other router

That is wrong, sorry.

As for the question, this is called "bridged client" and it is not natively possible with Atheros chipsets as in the MR3020. You can try, however, to create a pseudo-bridge using relayd as outlined in this wiki article.

msnews wrote:

What do you mean it is wrong? I am using that way without problem

Oh, I'm sorry. It seems I misread the question (which was a bit convoluted). You are perfectly right.

But it still takes a little bit more work though, right? By default, the only ethernet port on the MR3020 is configured as LAN. For this to work, it needs to be configured as WAN (DHCP client) with forwarding between Wifi and WAN. http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/routedap ... or am I completely off the track now?

(Last edited by metai on 15 May 2014, 22:57)

I solved my problem, if someone has the same problem here's what I did...

To get rid of the CarrierWrt:
- Set the IP of your PC to dynamic
- Go to CMD and type ipconfig and look for the "Default Gateway" IP (Mine was 192.168.8.1)
- Type the IP that you got in your web browser
- Got to Select System > Backup / Flash Firmware
- Upload the OpenWrt image that you got from here http://downloads.openwrt.org/

Hope it helps!

Congratulations. Such a post should go into the documentation forum, or possibly even on a Wiki page, because I can see other users running into the same problem.

I assume that was a wired conection? Interesting, from the config files it should not do DHCP on the wired interface, but I might as well be wrong about that. Do you by any chance remember what "configuration" (there are four) of CarrierWrt you used, and how did you find out about the password?

metai wrote:

Congratulations. Such a post should go into the documentation forum, or possibly even on a Wiki page, because I can see other users running into the same problem.

It's a Wiki. Everyone can add it, even you.. :-)

written_direcon wrote:

It's a Wiki. Everyone can add it, even you.. :-)

I do know that. smile However, I wonder if it would be even more sensitive to have a section "OpenWrt derivates" (or something to that extent). Such info would fit snugly in there. (Also, yes, getting way off-topic in this thread ...)

msnews wrote:

Indeed, the Ethernet port is still configured as LAN, but create the bridge between eth0 and WLAN0, protocol for LAN is DHCP client.

Yes, that works, but it creates a Bridged AP. The OP wanted the AP to dish out its own IP range to its wifi clients, and that requires configuration as Routed AP, i.e. what I described: Forwarding rule between WAN (or whatever eth0 is called, doesn't matter) and Wifi.

(P.S.: Can I ask you to cut down quoting to relevant parts and append your answer beneath quotes, it is customary style in here.)

(Last edited by metai on 17 May 2014, 19:36)

Ok. I think I also misunderstand OP's thought. Yes, in this case, the eth0 should configured as WAN

msnews wrote:

Hello,

I have openwrt on my MR3020 and I take it on the road. It works in many hotels. However, I had some unsuccessful stories, e.g. the hotel I am staying now. I connect the cable from wall RJ45 port to Ethernet port of the router, the router obtains the ip from hotel server(router), my laptop connects to the router via wifi, everything seems right. When I try to open website, it does not open the hotel login page(to enter the password). Tried many times, no success.

Checked the following:
1. Plug in the cable directly to my laptop, hotel login page opens in a second, internet works fine after entering the password.
2. The router configuration has not been changed after last successful use, router is able to get ip address, and able to assign ip address to my laptop.

I believe that there are something to do with hotel login page. What is the possible reason that the login page cannot be opened if I have my router connected in between my laptop and hotel network, Any suggestion?

Finally I got problem solved! The system log shows a message which is related to this issue:

"possible DNS-rebind attack detected: <the url of the re-directed security page>"

I added the first part of url into "Domain White list" on "DHCP and DNS" setup page, oops! internet works!

Share my finding with others who have same problem.

SO I have this router with openwrt on it - I travel a lot and more often than not I find hotels are starting to charge per connection (cough ceasars cough) and wireless only in room - and it is 20 bucks a day per device...COME ON!.

Anyhow - the "resort fee" allows me one connection - how would I set up the router in "wisp" mode via wireless?

I am guessing make the wifi client connection via their wireless - but then what - connect to wireless router to get the webpage to finish the authentication??

thanks in advance for how to do it.

also does anyone know if it works with inflight gogo wireless?

erma1 wrote:

I have a MR3020 v1.8 running openwrt 12.09.
I'm trying to use it with e169 3G dongle but any time I enable the wifi (AP mode) to share the connection the 3G link drops every few secs. Thinks a slightly better with external powered USB Hub but still not stable as 3G+Ether only.

... from post #427

Hi,

I might stuck in the same same 3G-Problem.

I have a MR3020 V1.0 with Attitude Adjustment (12.09 final; openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-mr3020-v1-squashfs-factory.bin) installed.
I trie to get my 1&1 3G-Stick, a OEM of ZTE MF110, running.
I'm using that stick with the original Firmware since years. But I need also connections in GPRS only zones now...

After some wiki-reading and testing I got - probably - the installation talking to the stick.

Sep 11 18:30:49 RKn_TL-3020 local2.info chat[1492]: expect (CONNECT)
Sep 11 18:30:49 RKn_TL-3020 local2.info chat[1492]: ^M
Sep 11 18:30:49 RKn_TL-3020 local2.info chat[1492]: ATD*99#^M^M
Sep 11 18:30:49 RKn_TL-3020 local2.info chat[1492]: CONNECT
Sep 11 18:30:49 RKn_TL-3020 local2.info chat[1492]:  -- got it
Sep 11 18:30:49 RKn_TL-3020 daemon.info pppd[1486]: Serial connection established.
Sep 11 18:30:49 RKn_TL-3020 daemon.info pppd[1486]: Using interface 3g-3G
Sep 11 18:30:49 RKn_TL-3020 daemon.notice pppd[1486]: Connect: 3g-3G <--> /dev/ttyUSB2
Sep 11 18:30:55 RKn_TL-3020 kern.info kernel: [   63.170000] usb 1-1: USB disconnect, device number 3
Sep 11 18:30:55 RKn_TL-3020 daemon.notice pppd[1486]: Modem hangup
Sep 11 18:30:55 RKn_TL-3020 daemon.notice pppd[1486]: Connection terminated.
Sep 11 18:30:55 RKn_TL-3020 kern.info kernel: [   63.170000] option1 ttyUSB0: GSM modem (1-port) converter now disconnected from ttyUSB0
Sep 11 18:30:55 RKn_TL-3020 kern.info kernel: [   63.180000] option 1-1:1.0: device disconnected
Sep 11 18:30:55 RKn_TL-3020 kern.info kernel: [   63.180000] option1 ttyUSB1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now disconnected from ttyUSB1
Sep 11 18:30:55 RKn_TL-3020 kern.info kernel: [   63.190000] option 1-1:1.1: device disconnected
Sep 11 18:30:55 RKn_TL-3020 kern.err kernel: [   63.200000] option: option_instat_callback: error -143
Sep 11 18:30:55 RKn_TL-3020 kern.info kernel: [   63.200000] option1 ttyUSB2: GSM modem (1-port) converter now disconnected from ttyUSB2
Sep 11 18:30:55 RKn_TL-3020 kern.info kernel: [   63.210000] option 1-1:1.3: device disconnected
Sep 11 18:30:55 RKn_TL-3020 kern.info kernel: [   63.490000] usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 4 using ehci-platform
Sep 11 18:30:55 RKn_TL-3020 daemon.info pppd[1486]: Exit.
Sep 11 18:30:55 RKn_TL-3020 daemon.notice netifd: Interface '3G' is now down 

But the USB connection get lost after the connection...

I guess this is similar to the power problems if read at different places.

Any other ideas are wellcome!

I'm interested in getting some hints for sticks who are running stable with the MR3020!?
If this stick has a external antenna connector, it will a candidate to order.

Thanks for your answers.

Gruss

Ralf

im030531 wrote:

I have a MR3020 V1.0 with Attitude Adjustment (12.09 final; openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-mr3020-v1-squashfs-factory.bin) installed.

Have you tried BB instead of AA already?

tmo26 wrote:

Have you tried BB instead of AA already?

No, I have not.
Will it work?

A RC with missing these and that (board messages) might to tricky for me...

Gruss

Ralf

Hello,

I guess I've somehow bricked my MR3020, I did the following:

1.) Downloaded image from here: http://downloads.openwrt.org/attitude_a … actory.bin
2.) Flashed it via the (standard/factory) Web-UI

After it finished flashing I tried to connect to it via putty, after several attempts I noticed that it didn't assign me an IP address through the Ethernet interface. Tired it on 2 PCs, wasn't successful.
Next step was trying to get the serial port up & running so I opened it up and connected everything as stated in the Wiki. Unfortunately, the device doesn't send anything on the serial connection when powered on.
Also, when connecting it to a router via Ethernet it doesn't get an IP address, so no chance getting it connected that way.
When powering on the Power and WPS/Reset LEDs light up, after a second or two the WPS LED starts blinking for 5 seconds and then remains powered on steadily.

Has somebody experienced this behavior so far or has any ideas on how to fix it or did I completely destroy it?

Thanks in advance!

(Last edited by interceptor on 22 Sep 2014, 18:56)

tmo26 wrote:
interceptor wrote:

Next step was trying to get the serial port up & running

Before that, I would have tried failsafe:
-> http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/generic.failsafe
-> http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl- … lsafe.mode

...and before that, I would have tried to telnet to 192.168.1.1

Sorry forgot to mention that telnet to 192.168.1.1 didn't work out in normal mode.
However, I managed to get into failsafe and can now telnet into it - thanks!

Only question left is: Where to go from here to get it properly working? Since I didn't change any configurations from the point I flashed it, resetting it is a bit pointless (if I understand that correctly - it's the first time I try to work with OpenWRT), I tried it however and got the following output(s):

root@(none):/# firstboot
firstboot has already been run
jffs2 partition is mounted, only resetting files
MTD partition not found.

root@(none):/# mtd -r erase rootfs_data
Could not open mtd device: rootfs_data
Could not open mtd device: rootfs_data

root@(none):/# rm -r /overlay/*
rm: can't remove '/overlay/*': No such file or directory

Hello. First post here.

I managed to make my MR-3020 work with a Huawei E3272 modem. Problem is, it only works reliably if I supplement extra power to the USB modem OR disable wireless, else it gives all kinds of USB errors and only connect sporadically. With the OEM firmware it works without any issues, no extra power and wireless enabled all the time.

I tried installing the last trunk, but when I installed luci I ran out of space. I have a spare MR-3020 so I'm willing to test anything that may result in success.

Thanks.

Edit: using a USB power meter, I see it never goes past around 300mA, even when sending extra power to the modem. In fact, the power consumption remains largely the same. The power supply is rated 1A, and I could get 900mA out of it to charge my phone, so it doesn't seem to be a low-power issue.

(Last edited by john410 on 30 Sep 2014, 12:15)

Probably ar9331's usb stability issue, see https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=39956

My experience: BB is far better than AA in regards to USB stability.

If you run out of space for Luci with BB:
- Try compiling the image yourself instead of using prebuilt image w/o Luci.
- Try extroot. Unlimited space, no more worries how to get the last 10kB into the image.

I tried CC, not BB, as I couldn't find it. Are bb trunks being deployed daily? The "bleeding edge" on the wiki takes me to the CC download.

Also, I don't want to use extra USB devices because I carry it around, I want to keep it as light as possible. That's also why I'm obsessed with not giving extra juice to USB.

One more thing: doing

echo Y > /sys/module/usbcore/parameters/old_scheme_first

helped with recognizing the modem. Trouble is, I still couldn't plug it on cold boot, because I didn't manage to find a way to execute this command before the USB initialization, so I had to always plug the modem after boot. Also, this trick wouldn't help with random disconnects. Extra power to USB - even from the same PSU that's powering the modem - solved all of this, even without this "hack".

edit: found Barrier Breaker files. I'll give it a shot. Should I test with RC3 or the plain "14.07" (https://downloads.openwrt.org/barrier_b … actory.bin) that's on the download page?

(Last edited by john410 on 30 Sep 2014, 18:54)

If you already tried CC (=trunk), there's IMHO no need to go back to BB, although that's the stable release, whereas trunk is always in motion. There are pros and cons for both.

If you want to try BB, take the plain 14.07. This is the latest stable release.

(Last edited by tmo26 on 30 Sep 2014, 20:55)

tmo26 wrote:

If you already tried CC (=trunk), there's IMHO no need to go back to BB, although that's the stable release, whereas trunk is always in motion. There are pros and cons for both.

Well, I want to be able to get the same functionality I had with AA. That means free space for luci and the modules required for 3G dongle support. Does the current BB release for MR3020 provide that?

Running BB right now. Luci was already there, just had to install extras for 3G, which I did without issues.

Same problem with USB. So far I've been supplying extra power to the USB and, as I said before, when I do that I have no issues. Considering the MR3020 I'm using to run OpenWrt is brand new, I'll try running BB on my older MR3020 to see if I get the same errors, and if I don't I'll RMA the newer one.

Thanks.