OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Repeater configurations here! Both ways, bridged and simple repeater

The content of this topic has been archived between 5 Oct 2014 and 6 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

dabyd64 wrote:

If it works with client mode and dies when setting the AP network, it's something related to a software / hardware limitation.
I guess that you're using the latest version?

No, I use the revision 33981: the only one pre-built image for AGA. This router is supported using patch but it's old and I apply it manually.

I try to build the latest trunk or stable 12.09 version (36088 & 36425).
these versions aren't fully working... missing wireless after flashing... maybe you could help me here to understand why.

Sorry, posts 127 to 125 are missing from our archive.

anybody managed to get it work i just bought a WD801ND wich isnt working with stock firmware, i should try config number 2 for my needs, just did i get it right? ROUTER --> wifi --> OpenWRT ----> NEWWIFIAP (will I be able to connect just 1 client on my new wireless SSID?)
My goal is to have 2 SSID, Router and WD801NA connected wirelessly with 2 diff subnets ... impossible?

The 801 should work well, and the unbridged repeater should work always unless hardware or software limitation, as it doesn't depend on the main router for the DHCP .

(Last edited by dabyd64 on 4 Jun 2014, 15:23)

Sorry, posts 128 to 126 are missing from our archive.

That kind of routers that depend on patches to work  and not oficially supported in the trunk always gave problems.
I suggest to buy a cheap atheros based router like wr740nd, it's more than enough for most things and works well

dabyd64 wrote:

The 801 should work well, and the unbridged repeater should work always unless hardware or software limitation, as it doesn't depend on the main router for the DHCP .

Sorry I meant WA801ND btw I had huge headaches last night trying to use it with stock firmware...I'll try tonight...it will be totally useless for me if as I read few posts ago I would only be able to connect 1 client to the new said....I mean...it would be useless. Im sure I wont sleep tonight too!
What do you mean by dhcp or hardware limitations? Gateway is a stupid Vodafone Station...no advanced configs...
Hope openwrt will help me to resolve this issue

Sorry, posts 129 to 127 are missing from our archive.

thanks for all...
i'm accustomed to solve problem....so i try something else before changing router.
wink

In bridged repeater all the clients IP requests are redirected to the main router. Some routers don't work well with this.
Unbridged repeater doesn't do this, only the repeater request its own IP from the main router, and serves apart its own network, so the main router only sees one device connected to it
By hardware limitations I mean that some routers don't work if more than 1 wireless interface is set on the same hardware radio, so only AP or client mode can be set, but not both at the same time.
For what I see, the WA801 is not well supported, while it exists in the trunk,I don't see any wiki page or hardware info.
So maybe it won't work fine! Before buying any router check first on openwrt forum or wiki that it's stable!
Get a wr740 / wr741 , they work well and they are very cheap, the last I bought was 14 euro!

(Last edited by dabyd64 on 4 Jun 2014, 23:18)

it will work fine... hw is really similar to other tplink...

nebbia88 wrote:

it will work fine... hw is really similar to other tplink...

Tried with first post 2nd configs, copied all configs it says: missing packet or something like that so i installed suggested "relay" packet, nothing changes, i start to believe it's really an hardware problem, tried manually from webUI and i can connect in Client mode to Wireless Gateway, when i try to add a new vlan in AP mode, wireless disconnects and dies sad
With stock firmware it supported multi ssid, so i tought it wont be a hardware limt, now i'm really stuck is anybody gonna post a tried working config?

the packet is called "relayd"
do:
opkg update; opkg install relayd

Post your configs!

dabyd64 wrote:

the packet is called "relayd"
do:
opkg update; opkg install relayd

Post your configs!

You actually saved my life with this! Thank you, I used same configs of the first post, everything works!
Even dhcp wasnt working but now it is. Im just playing around with addons smile nice ddns and watchdog, i'm really impressed about this project!! You guys rocks and I can confirm WD801ND v2.1 is working as described! I just love it!

(Last edited by deepred on 6 Jun 2014, 01:11)

Nice that it finally worked! wink
Openwrt is way bigger and complex than it seems at first, and almost anything can be done with some scripting knowledge.
Now do a backup before you break it lol

(Last edited by dabyd64 on 6 Jun 2014, 01:48)

dabyd64 wrote:

Nice that it finally worked! wink
Openwrt is way bigger and complex than it seems at first, and almost anything can be done with some scripting knowledge.
Now do a backup before you break it lol

Oh don't worry: first thing i did was a backup. ... now i started loving its stability it's really impressing, an user told me i can upgrade with sysupgrade command in ssh but i'm using a firmware built by a guy "http://tasksofohm.wordpress.com/hardwar … naissance/" <-- that's the link, he installed some patches to make 801nd to work, what if i sysupgrade? do I risk to lose compatibility ?

Thanks in advance

That binary is a month old, I think the trunk is more updated. All that patches should have been already merged and currently applied on the wa801 builds.
Unless you now what you're doing, I would avoid any custom firmware.
Remember that with opkg you can install whatever you want as long as you have free space wink

(Last edited by dabyd64 on 12 Jun 2014, 01:29)

I am running Method 1 of this post (also featured here: http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/relayclient) and it is working great. Thank you.

I am an ex-pat and want to try either a VPN or a DNS proxy service like unblock-us, the latter being perhaps easier for me to setup.

Can I change DNS settings on the router and have them take effect when I'm just using it as a repeater and don't have admin access to the main router?

in etc/config/network I already have (from the wiki)

config interface 'lan'
        option dns '8.8.8.8'

but that doesn't seem to have an effect when I try to see what dns I am actually using from say www.dnsleaktest.com or the fact that I sometimes get a blocked message from opendns (which is what the main router uses)

I have also tried following this guide http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpos … stcount=36 which has in etc/config/dhcp

option resolvfile     '/etc/resolv.conf'
option strictorder     1

and then in /etc/resolv.conf

nameserver x.x.x.x (fill in the dns servers here)
nameserver x.x.x.x

That also didn't seem to work for me. Whereas for example, just changing the dns servers in OS X did work, but I'd prefer it on the router for all devices.

Any ideas?

Since all ip config is provided by the main router's dhcp server, openwrt can't modify any.
I don't know how to change that.
It would be something like intercept the dhcp packet and add your custom dns?

OK, thanks, that makes sense.

Maybe you can set that dns on the main router?

The main router is for our base for about 100 people and it uses OpenDNS with some site filtering (ironically it filters unblock-us.com as "proxy/anonomizer"!) I don't have access to it anyway.

Then I'd suggest to use the unbridged mode, surfing will be the same, and you'll be able to use your own DNS.
Unles you need network sharing, then you are out of luck

hi.
one question: if my main router have 192.168.1.1 IP, and i wanted to use bridge repeater (same subnet) i should just copy the config in first page? is that right?

(Last edited by gem1978 on 24 Jun 2014, 21:52)

If you mean the network config, yes.
But you must set the wireless to your specific security setting.

Thanks for this instructions !
I'm using the relayd method, so far so good...
But pc clients after the repeater cannot use windows homegroups, is there a solution for it ?

Did you disable the firewall?

Yes i did ..
The clients get the correct ip vom master router(Fritz 7490), dns all is right.
I think the cause of the problem is, that windows homegroup needs the NDP protocol, and NDP is part of IPV6.
In adition am able to ping pc's which are connected to the master router from Clients behind the repeater and vice cersa.

Ps: I am using WA850RE (atheros)

(Last edited by Rampler on 25 Jun 2014, 09:43)

Mmm no idea about this. I use simple Windows folder sharing and works well.
Is the homework group seen within the openwrt network?

(Last edited by dabyd64 on 26 Jun 2014, 02:35)

Sorry, i dont understand your question:
Is the homework group seen within the openwrt network?

You see the windows homegroup only in the Windows Explorer (left side, over the harddiscs). Inside the exlporer i see my shared folders under the network section, after i installed avahi-demaon.

Problem is, that pc's which are connected behind the Bridge are unavailable for homegroups.

PS: After googling for that problem, it seems that many bridges have this problem .., its funny that this is known as a "behind the bridge problem" ..

(Last edited by Rampler on 27 Jun 2014, 07:06)

finally a working guide, the bridge repeater from 1st post works great on 841nd with latest trunk barrier breaker
last year i bought a mikrotik rb951g-2hnd for main router and from that moment i couldn't make to work my 841nd and 741nd devices as a wireless repeater with gargoyle fw, the first working solution is this in the first post
and for noobs: you don't need to use vi editor, under windows with winscp is much easier, just scp to your router and click edit on network, wifi etc files then close and click save
you can backup these files too and after reinstall you just need to copy them back and reboot the device

(Last edited by trance89 on 28 Jun 2014, 19:35)