OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Repeater configurations here! Both ways, bridged and simple repeater

The content of this topic has been archived between 5 Oct 2014 and 6 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

I want to know if it is possible configure MODE 1 Bridge Repeater where i can see all computers of the network using Luci or is it only possible via manual settings?

A visual tutorial would be nice if it is possible on Luci.

Thanks

I have a WNDR3800 which has two radios.  Can I only use these methods with only one of the radios i.e. must one radio always remain disabled or can both become repeaters?  Would I need a second stabridge for the second radio?

Thanks

It's valid for both radios too. Just assign the same network on the wireless config

@Omiez Luci only sees the computers that are connected to the openwrt router.

(Last edited by dabyd64 on 31 Oct 2014, 02:25)

dabyd64 wrote:

Yes, but the wiki has a problem, that is that most of people understand "repeater" but not "bridged/unbridged wireless network".
That's why I said "repeater". 99% of people search repeater.
I had the same problem too, at the beginning is hard to find and understand all the info.

You are 100% right and your configuration-howto helps me a lot.
Thank you very much dabyd64 for the good work :-)

Greetings
nogood

Great it was helpful for you smile

@dabyd64:

The wiki is a very good source when you know all the basics of OpenWrt and need further detailed information.
But when you start with OpenWrt the wiki just messed you up.

I read some howtos on the net about building webcam, printserver or internetradio with a MR3020 pocket router and OpenWrt.
These howtos are quite easy. But they all start with: "You need a MR3020 with a working OpenWrt".

To follow these howtos takes me 30-60 minutes. To get the MR3020 working as a bridged repeater takes me 2 days (and maybe 1 week more without your howto). :-)

(Last edited by nogood on 5 Nov 2014, 08:30)

Hi I got the MODE 2: REPEATER, DIFFERENT NETWORK to work fine with openwrt

Would you know how to do this with a Debian box like rasp pi or similar.

Thanks
Paul

So mode 2 config worked for me before.  But it not longer works.  I did an update to firmware and now I have the following firmware:
OpenWrt Barrier Breaker 14.07 / LuCI Trunk (0.12+svn-r10530), Kernel 3.10.49.

My config files are setup exactly as you mentioned.  But I will include them here for any help at all.

The main wireless router I'm trying to repeat is 192.168.1.1 (Chakra 2.4).  My Repeater based on below config is set to 192.168.10.1.  I'm scratching my head as to why internet is not being forwarded on the LAN ports.  I dont really care to forward traffic onto wifi again, so I have removed the wifi repeater ssid.

---------------------------------------------
/etc/config/wireless
config wifi-device  radio0
        option type     mac80211
        option channel  6 #same channel of the existing wifi network
        option path     'platform/qca953x_wmac'
        option txpower  12 #this depends on your needs, default is 20 dBm. Lower it is healthier (citation needed)
        option disabled 0

config wifi-iface
    option ssid 'Chakra 2.4'
    option encryption 'psk2'        # Set wep, psk or psk2 for WEP, WPA or WPA2
    option device 'radio0'
    option mode 'sta'
    option network 'wwan'
    option key 'ansh0130'

/etc/config/network
config interface 'loopback'
    option ifname 'lo'
    option proto 'static'
    option ipaddr '127.0.0.1'
    option netmask '255.0.0.0'

config interface 'lan'
    option ifname 'eth0'
    option type 'bridge'
    option proto 'static'
    option ipaddr '192.168.10.1'    #set to different range of your main router's network""
    option netmask '255.255.255.0'

config interface 'wwan'
    option proto 'dhcp'

DHCP and Firewall are copy paste from mode 2 from the first post.

So after this, I do a reboot.  I have my desktop plugged into one of the LAN ports on the repeater.  The hope is the repeater picks up the wireless signal from "Chakra 2.4" and routes it to the LAN ports sending it ultimately to my desktop, but it doesnt.  Any help is appreciated.

(Last edited by jackal424 on 5 Dec 2014, 04:19)

Strange. Can you ping the main router from inside the router, in the telnet/ssh shell?
Also a dmesg and logread  dumps would be nice

Hi, the any way to do this but true wire, i have a DD-WRT which is the AP, and want to connect to another room true a powerline network the OpenWRT and two pcs. can some one help me. or give me an idea how to do this.

(Last edited by gloriatorios on 13 Dec 2014, 10:12)

This does that, and adds wifi support.
If you delete the wifi AP, it will be only a bridged wifi client, so you will connection in the LAN ports.
Then, you can connect a PLC on the LAN port, and the other PLC where you need.

(Last edited by dabyd64 on 10 Dec 2014, 01:09)

I have a strange problem with my router (Netgear WNR2000) which is running Mode 1 of this thread, repeating a WPA enterprise connection. Initially it worked for quite a few months, then it stopped working. Nothing had changed with the configs. I reinstalled, and it worked again for a few months. This time, after reinstalling, it works perfectly for only a few minutes and then limits the bandwidth to 128kbps. It is working in all other ways, except that bandwidth throttle. It picks up a decent signal (-70), has a tx of 19Mbps and rx of 39 Mbps (from station dump).

I just tried "wifi down" then "wifi" and even that removed the throttle - again, just for a few minutes. (Can be seen clearly in speedof.me)

Are there any ways I can try to diagnose the problem? Are there things I can post e.g "df" or the configs for anyone to have a look at?

UPDATE: This behaviour is not present when I used the router to repeat my mobile wifi. So it is specific to the enterprise network - it could be on the admin side.

(Last edited by nicklear9 on 15 Dec 2014, 18:37)

Thanks for the post, dabyd64.
I used mode #1 and it worked for my situation, and was much more concise than the howto found in the OpenWrt wiki.  OpenWrt is so flexible, it's difficult for someone new to it to figure out which setup will work for a give use-case.

I have a couple of questions, but first let me describe my setup.
I have a Cisco router (with a wireless network) that is connected to my cable modem in one room of my house.
In another room, where my office is, I needed to connect an IP phone (that doesn't have wifi).  Running a cable is not an option.
I bought a cheap TPLink router in the hopes I could use it to provide wireless connectivity for wired devices at my desk.
As I said, mode #1 is working beautifully.

And onto my questions...
What's the purpose of the RepeaterWirelessNetwork?
Is it simply to illustrate that you can have a separate wireless network on the secondary/client router?
Does the client router still act as a repeater (for MainWirelessNetwork) in the sense that wireless devices get handed-off to the router that has the strongest signal?

Again, my main goal has been achieved, but it'd be nice if I could make sure that the secondary/client router is being used when devices are connected to MainWirelessNetwork and the secondary/client router has a stronger signal than the main router.

Just a question here, I got this working on my tp-link mr-tl3040 but it seems that if the primary WiFi network is out of range the repeated network didn't get broadcasted. Is this just an root or does it normally do that. I can't check the config at the moment because all I have is my phone lol. It was configured in a reapeter mode where the wireless networks are two separate networks with different names and IP ranges.

I'm pretty sure that's standard, it's what I have anyway

nicklear9 wrote:

I'm pretty sure that's standard, it's what I have anyway

So is there no way to change that? I'd like to be able to configure the wireless setting from my phone if the original network is out of range.

Edit: OK I have found out that this is a hardware limitation that can only be done by adding another USB Wi-Fi device, haven't had that much luck on that however

(Last edited by mrdarkdragone on 10 Jan 2015, 01:23)

Hi,
Thanks for your article it helped many of us to configure a repeater.
I am using Mode - 1  to communicate between 2 routers (DIR505). Both running on openwrt BB and repeater has relayd. Only difference i have in my configuration is that firewall is ON where wwan is masquerading all the traffic.

This is because i am running coovachilli hotspot on my main router and this is where the problem is. Coova needs mac id of connecting device to differentiate between devices. Because traffic is nat'ed at repeater, coova chilli running at main router treats all traffic from same station and perform it's login process only for the first device. Device 2nd onwards will not be treated as a separate device causing me issues.

Now my question is - Considering i can not shutdown firewall (i tried and repeater wwan stops sending traffic to main router) is there any way i can have my repeaters traffic non-nat'ed? Main router should see all devices separately.

Hi,

I have an TP-LINK 3220 v2.1 router and flashed  OpenWrt Barrier Breaker 14.07 / LuCI Trunk (0.12+svn-r10530) to it. The openwrt is up and running and I can access the router via the built in Luci. I followed the second part of your guide and the tp-link 3220 router is connected to the main router(Cisco EPC3925) via wifi, but I don't have internet connection when I connect to the openwrt's wifi. The connection is etablished to the openwrt wifi but no internet access sad

If I ssh into the openwrt router and ping google.com i get responses (ping is 42ms) but if i run ping it from a client connected to the openwrts wifi the ping is timeouted.

This is how the luci wifi page looks like:

PunBB bbcode test

And these are my config files:
wireless:

config wifi-device 'radio0'
    option type 'mac80211'
    option channel '11'
    option hwmode '11g'
    option path 'platform/ar933x_wmac'
    option htmode 'HT20'
    option disabled '0'
    option txpower '30'
    option country 'HU'

config wifi-iface
    option network 'wwan'
    option ssid '0bbdfe'
    option encryption 'psk2'
    option device 'radio0'
    option mode 'sta'
    option bssid '38:60:77:F2:28:21'
    option key '**'

config wifi-iface
    option device 'radio0'
    option mode 'ap'
    option ssid 'OpenWrt8'
    option encryption 'none'
    option network 'lan'

DHCP:

config dnsmasq
    option domainneeded '1'
    option boguspriv '1'
    option filterwin2k '0'
    option localise_queries '1'
    option rebind_protection '1'
    option rebind_localhost '1'
    option local '/lan/'
    option domain 'lan'
    option expandhosts '1'
    option nonegcache '0'
    option authoritative '1'
    option readethers '1'
    option leasefile '/tmp/dhcp.leases'
    option resolvfile '/tmp/resolv.conf.auto'

config dhcp 'lan'
    option interface 'lan'
    option start '100'
    option limit '150'
    option leasetime '12h'
    option dhcpv6 'server'
    option ra 'server'
    option ignore '0'

config dhcp 'wan'
    option interface 'wan'
    option ignore '1'

config odhcpd 'odhcpd'
    option maindhcp '0'
    option leasefile '/tmp/hosts/odhcpd'
    option leasetrigger '/usr/sbin/odhcpd-update'

FIREWALL (i have disabled it but no help)

config defaults
    option syn_flood '1'
    option input 'ACCEPT'
    option output 'ACCEPT'
    option forward 'REJECT'

config zone
    option name 'lan'
    option input 'ACCEPT'
    option output 'ACCEPT'
    option forward 'REJECT'
    option network 'lan'

config zone
    option name 'wan'
    option input 'REJECT'
    option output 'ACCEPT'
    option forward 'REJECT'
    option masq '1'
    option mtu_fix '1'
    option network 'wan wwan'

config forwarding
    option src 'lan'
    option dest 'wan'

config rule
    option name 'Allow-DHCP-Renew'
    option src 'wan'
    option proto 'udp'
    option dest_port '68'
    option target 'ACCEPT'
    option family 'ipv4'

config rule
    option name 'Allow-Ping'
    option src 'wan'
    option proto 'icmp'
    option icmp_type 'echo-request'
    option family 'ipv4'
    option target 'ACCEPT'

config rule
    option name 'Allow-DHCPv6'
    option src 'wan'
    option proto 'udp'
    option src_ip 'fe80::/10'
    option src_port '547'
    option dest_ip 'fe80::/10'
    option dest_port '546'
    option family 'ipv6'
    option target 'ACCEPT'

config rule
    option name 'Allow-ICMPv6-Input'
    option src 'wan'
    option proto 'icmp'
    list icmp_type 'echo-request'
    list icmp_type 'echo-reply'
    list icmp_type 'destination-unreachable'
    list icmp_type 'packet-too-big'
    list icmp_type 'time-exceeded'
    list icmp_type 'bad-header'
    list icmp_type 'unknown-header-type'
    list icmp_type 'router-solicitation'
    list icmp_type 'neighbour-solicitation'
    list icmp_type 'router-advertisement'
    list icmp_type 'neighbour-advertisement'
    option limit '1000/sec'
    option family 'ipv6'
    option target 'ACCEPT'

config rule
    option name 'Allow-ICMPv6-Forward'
    option src 'wan'
    option dest '*'
    option proto 'icmp'
    list icmp_type 'echo-request'
    list icmp_type 'echo-reply'
    list icmp_type 'destination-unreachable'
    list icmp_type 'packet-too-big'
    list icmp_type 'time-exceeded'
    list icmp_type 'bad-header'
    list icmp_type 'unknown-header-type'
    option limit '1000/sec'
    option family 'ipv6'
    option target 'ACCEPT'

config include
    option path '/etc/firewall.user'

config zone
    option name 'wwan'
    option input 'ACCEPT'
    option forward 'REJECT'
    option output 'ACCEPT'
    option network 'wwan'

NETWORK:

config interface 'loopback'
    option ifname 'lo'
    option proto 'static'
    option ipaddr '127.0.0.1'
    option netmask '255.0.0.0'

config globals 'globals'
    option ula_prefix 'fdec:7424:b626::/48'

config interface 'lan'
    option ifname 'eth0'
    option force_link '1'
    option type 'bridge'
    option proto 'static'
    option ipaddr '192.168.19.1'
    option netmask '255.255.255.0'
    option ip6assign '60'

config interface 'wan'
    option ifname 'eth1'
    option proto 'dhcp'

config interface 'wan6'
    option ifname '@wan'
    option proto 'dhcpv6'

config switch
    option name 'switch0'
    option reset '1'
    option enable_vlan '1'

config switch_vlan
    option device 'switch0'
    option vlan '1'
    option ports '0 1 2 3 4'

config interface 'wwan'
    option proto 'dhcp'

Could someone help me?

Remember that lan and wwan must be on different ip subnets.. what is the address of the main router?

note: DO NOT disable firewall...

second note: i had problems with txpower on a nonsense defaut of 30 dbm, set it to 20 dbm.

(Last edited by nebbia88 on 31 Jan 2015, 20:21)

The main cisco routers ip is: 192.168.0.1
and the openwrt ip is: 192.168.19.1
I'm don't know much about networking but I think these are different subnets. If I connect to the openwrts wifi i get 192.168.19.172.

I set the tx level to 20 but the problem still the same. The openwrt router can reach the internet( ping and tracert from the router is working fine) but a client connected to it's wifi are not able to ping google.com

edit: I only disabled the Firewall to eliminate a possible problem, I will turn it back as soon as the problem solved.

(Last edited by fhegedus on 31 Jan 2015, 21:19)

The fact is that you need the firewall running for routing...

Your ip settings are fine.

nebbia88 wrote:

The fact is that you need the firewall running for routing...

Your ip settings are fine.

You were right the problem was with my firewall settings. I just deleted everything from my firewall config and just put he lines from dabyd64's first comment and its working! Thak you!

Dabyd64's if you think you add this info to the first post because maybe others will face with the same problem.

You were using method #2, different network, where I specified the firewall configuration.
The only difference between it and the factory config is in the wan zone, in the line "option network 'wan wwan'"
So what did you do to it to cause the trouble?

This post was a godsend!   I was so confused as to how to make a client mode with a different subnet on the client (aka repeater side -- mode 2 here).   Thank you so much!!

Sorry, posts 201 to 200 are missing from our archive.