OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: dead after flashing wr703n

The content of this topic has been archived between 14 Feb 2014 and 3 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

You don't need the patch for the latest trunk, it has already been applied!

So just revert to the latest trunk ("svn revert -R ." while in the trunk directory) and compile everything, it should work as is.

hi,
thank you,
i just got confused, since the code in the last trunk looks like this:

ath79_setup_ar933x_phy4_switch(false, false);

while in the patch looks like this

ath79_setup_ar933x_phy4_switch(false, true);

so i wasn't sure if last trunk is patch ready,,,!!

Squonk wrote:

So just revert to the latest trunk ("svn revert -R ." while in the trunk directory) and compile everything, it should work as is.

Just bricked my new one (with r36067 openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr703n-v1-squashfs-factory.bin)
This was version1.7

Well, I guess not bricked. Seems to start in failsafe mode based on LED behavior but nothing in 192.168.1.1 with telnet.

Looks like some soldering work to do and buying a TTL adapter prior that.

That's really sad..
Once again, trunk seems to be unsafe..

I know it has been mentioned before, but going to https://openwrt.org there are no warnings there. Like "please read the info/wiki/forum" before doing a knee-jerk trunk install.
Also "trunk" implies the strongest part of the tree. Perhaps it should be called "flimsy twig with half dead leaves" instead?

hassu: forgive me if I am stating the obvious,  but in failsafe the LED blinks at ca 2 Hz (ie twice as fast as normal), and you need to connect with ethernet cable to your PC (and just to be sure, turn WiFi off on the PC).

hey
are you sure it was the last trunk?
i am about to flash mine, please confirm if this trunk is not working !!

thanks.

hassu wrote:

Just bricked my new one (with r36067 openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr703n-v1-squashfs-factory.bin)
This was version1.7

Well, I guess not bricked. Seems to start in failsafe mode based on LED behavior but nothing in 192.168.1.1 with telnet.

Looks like some soldering work to do and buying a TTL adapter prior that.

AArc1.
Why do people go for the development version all the time???
If you aren't a developer (ie you actually code kernels and stuff) then go with stable! AArc1

actually, yes: they should put a disclaimer really prominently. Too many people think the openWRT is just a dropin replacement (including settings).

confused again!!!

didn't you say this:

Squonk wrote:

but now i read the WIKI, it says for V.1.7 flash r35037 unless you have access to the serial console!...!! please confirm which statement is correct!!

LATEST TRUNK DOES NOT WORK ON V.1.7 OR IT WORKS? DOES IT NEED PATCHING OR NOT??

Squonk wrote:
nebbia88 wrote:

http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr703n#warnings.gotchas

it has been there for a while..

Even more obvious: I added a warning sign wink

(Last edited by xbaha on 18 Mar 2013, 15:52)

it SHOULD work, because the patch was applied SINCE r35037, so ANY NEWER revision should work, the lastest is r36067..

the problem is that "hassu" reported that lastest trunk bricked his v1.7,

so, as always, you can never know.. lastest trunk may have a bug or god knows what!

that's the problem of "bleeding edge" releases..

The trunk version is moving constantly, several times a day: we can't update the wiki with the latest revision at this pace!

For the same reason, we cannot test that every new revision will work or not.

It has been tested with revision r35037 as stated in the Wiki, and also on previous versions (including AARC1) with nebbia88's patch.

The patch is still present into the latest trunk, but the trunk itself may well be broken, as it happens from time to time.

So you have 2 solutions:

1. take the latest revision in AARC1 branch and apply nebbia88's patch as it is not applied yet, this is the most stable solution

2. take the latest trunk without applying the patch, as it is already applied, this is the most risky solution, but you get more recent packages, too

(Last edited by Squonk on 18 Mar 2013, 16:01)

thanks

in this case, ill just take trunk r35037 !!
can you please tell me how to SVN to this version?

thanks..

Squonk wrote:

The trunk version is moving constantly, several times a day: we can't update the wiki with the latest revision at this pace!

For the same reason, we cannot test that every new revision will work or not.

It has been tested with revision r35037 as stated in the Wiki, and also on previous versions (including AARC1) with nebbia88's patch.

The patch is still present into the latest trunk, but the trunk itself may well be broken, as it happens from time to time.

So you have 2 solutions:

1. take the latest revision in AARC1 branch and apply nebbia88's patch as it is not applied yet, this is the most stable solution

2. take the latest trunk without applying the patch, as it is already applied, this is the most risky solution, but you get more recent packages, too

Squonk wrote:

[*]take the latest revision in AARC1 branch and apply nebbia88's patch as it is not applied yet, this is the most stable solution[/*]

lastest svn of AA should have the patch!

https://dev.openwrt.org/changeset/35038

problem is, as always, that build a firmware is not as easy as flash an image XD

my question was how to download version 35038

svn co svn://svn.openwrt.org/openwrt/trunk downloads the latest version, what command line should i add to download that specific version?

Thanks!

nebbia88 wrote:
Squonk wrote:

[*]take the latest revision in AARC1 branch and apply nebbia88's patch as it is not applied yet, this is the most stable solution[/*]

problem is, as always, that build a firmware is not as easy as flash an image XD

nebbia88 wrote:
Squonk wrote:

Ok, latest  AARC1 SVN also has the patch that have been backported to it, but the built images, (which are dated 22-Nov-2012) are older than the patch, so they don't contain it obviously sad

Time for an AARC2?

(Last edited by Squonk on 18 Mar 2013, 16:19)

I can confirm. Snapshot of Saturday and today (Tuesday) bricked my WR703N. No access via LAN-port, failsafe mode is possible but still no access to the device. FW mentioned on the sticker inside is 1.6, not 1.7.

Why the old beta and not rc1?? Anyway.. Is your model a v1.7?