OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Transcend WifiSD / PQI AirCard / FluCard Pro

The content of this topic has been archived between 29 Mar 2018 and 30 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello,

What is actually the purpose of the other files ;

Image3
mtf_jffs2.bin
program.bin

Can they be modified too ? and if yes how ?

Thanks in advance !

Hi guys,
a bit late to the party. I just got a transcend wifi sd and have wired up a serial port and install the 0.2 package from dankrause - awesome!

I'm a bit troubled though... I can see the boot log coming out from the serial port, but I can't type anything back to it. Is the pinout on the first page definitely correct? Is it 3.3V logic or 5V? The only other thing I can think of is that my USB->serial chip is not compatible somehow...

I'd like to set up PPP on this thing through the serial port, so I really need to get it working!

Cheers!

(Last edited by static-void on 11 Apr 2014, 20:04)

static-void wrote:

Hi guys,
a bit late to the party. I just got a transcend wifi sd and have wired up a serial port and install the 0.2 package from dankrause - awesome!

I'm a bit troubled though... I can see the boot log coming out from the serial port, but I can't type anything back to it. Is the pinout on the first page definitely correct? Is it 3.3V logic or 5V? The only other thing I can think of is that my USB->serial chip is not compatible somehow...

I'd like to set up PPP on this thing through the serial port, so I really need to get it working!

Cheers!

It uses 3.3v logic, 38400 8N1 mode

I upgraded my naive HTML modification, now the WIFISD page(>1.7 version) has one more new option, revealing the tutorial to install the "Shoot and view" extension for the Chrome browser:

Here is a link to the files: https://www.dropbox.com/s/30nfrak5babl6 … 0files.rar

Put them on your WIFISD and reboot the card several times, waiting some minutes in between.

(Last edited by gflorez on 13 Apr 2014, 21:48)

hal wrote:
static-void wrote:

Hi guys,

Cheers!

Thanks. I made a 5V->3.3V converter with some resistors, but I think I may have blown the input on the transcend by using 5V, as it still isn't working sad

Or maybe it just doesn't like my serial converter? (CP2102 based).

(Last edited by static-void on 12 Apr 2014, 23:23)

I've now ordered another transcend, and a proper FTDI 3.3V USB->serial converter. Maybe when the converter arrives it will turn out that the serial port on the transcend I have is OK, I'll have to wait and see.

Another strange thing I have found; the device seems picky about when it will start up. The SD card part always works, but the keyasic sometimes wont start depending on what card reader I am using. What I've noticed:

It starts every time in the USB->SD adapter that came with it.
It starts every time in the SD card reader built in to my laptop.
Using an SD->compact flash converter in a Psion handheld, it sometimes starts but will normally stop part way through the boot.
Using an SD->compact flash converter, and putting this converter in a CF->USB it starts more often than in the psion, but is still flaky.

When it refuses to start up, I see part of the bootloader run and then stop, or sometimes the kernel gets part way through booting and then stops.

I wonder what causes this behaviour... the only thing I can think of is a power issue, that it doesn't have enough juice when running through an SD->CF converter. Any thoughts?

gflorez wrote:

Glen Pitt Pladdy  on his blog:

https://www.pitt-pladdy.com/blog/_20140 … m_upload_/

uses this SD-CF adaptor successfully:

https://www.pitt-pladdy.com/blog/_20140 … daptor.jpg

But it is screened inside(difficults broadcast WI-FI)  so he modded it.

Yeah, I have the same one and have modded it. But the problem isn't the wifi signal, just that the keyasic doesn't start up, or starts and then stops... I suppose it _must_ be a power issue really, I can't think of any other reason.

Hi!

Just tried to FW-flash my Transcend WIFISD with newer firmware discussed in this threads, but it does not boot into WIFI any more.

After attaching the Serial Console to it I get:

KA Boot 04240806
M2 InitCard().00000000
SW_CTL_REG(SD):00000000
Sign1 mismatched! DW1=00000000

does this mean that the mtd partitioning is bad or the boot loader on mtd is not flashed correctly/completely?

Access to SD itself via USB works - can add/delete files...

Anyone got experience recovering from this situation?
Do I now have  a SD card without WIFI functionality?

Only update with an official firmware(anyone as the card is not protected against downgrading) and it turns to stock again.

Tried that also, but I still do not get any further.
The only thing I get are those 4 mentioned lines on the serial console.

So I fear that mtd is not in a "good" state and that is why it is stuck and not really booting...

That is why I hope that there is a way around that...

static-void wrote:
hal wrote:
static-void wrote:

Hi guys,

Cheers!

Thanks. I made a 5V->3.3V converter with some resistors, but I think I may have blown the input on the transcend by using 5V, as it still isn't working sad

Or maybe it just doesn't like my serial converter? (CP2102 based).

I just tried out my new transcend with the 3.3V converter and it works perfectly big_smile

I've tried the old one with the 3.3V converter too, and it doesn't work so the UART input is definitely blown. So a word to the wise, don't try using a 5V serial converter!

I've managed to build a kernel using the buildroot setup from dankrause and the module.c and config from Dmitry Grinberg. It was actually pretty easy.

However, the image I get out is smaller than the one Dmitry built and it doesn't seem to boot. I just replaced image3 in dankrause's kcard-buildroot, I think this is the right thing to do?

Hello,

I just got myself a flu card, so far I am quite happy about it. I got to play with the autorun.sh, use a busybox with telnetd inside of it and now able to telnet to it.

the danrause kcard look very good. So if I got this right factory_reset will make the card flash the card with that environment. and if it works, I am very happy.

The main idea behind this was to download files and make space (delete), sadly unless I hack my camera to mount and unmount the fs, I know it has very little chances to work.

Another way around it would be to offer the host a virtual vfat fs... well vfat is not that hard to play with and making it nearly infinite with a theoritical max size so big it won't run out of blocks to allocate, behind the scene find a neat way to prevent writing if the real card is full... Can we offer something else to the host instead of the sd card ?

Good work guys and thank you !

Does anyone know what file it stores the AP it will connect to? I have it set to connect to any AP in client mode on boot and if none are available convert to AP mode. Only problem is I want to put in like seven AP to connect to.

smile

is there a way to upload mp3 files on the card?
I want to install it on the car audio and create a playlist remotely.

PS
some devices do not work with the card.
I installed it in the DVR to download records without removing card from the DVR.
but the DVR hangs out when trying to start recording.

myp wrote:

is there a way to upload mp3 files on the card?
I want to install it on the car audio and create a playlist remotely.

PS
some devices do not work with the card.
I installed it in the DVR to download records without removing card from the DVR.
but the DVR hangs out when trying to start recording.

You can just copy files to the card from any host machine, or if you have modified the startup to include ftp you can do that. There are many other means to transfer files to and from the card.

The reason the card does not work in some devices appears to be its power usage. Some devices work fine some work but can't power up the wifi and some don't work at all. I think the main problem with some devices not working is the power spive when it first powers up. My poorly controlled test shows my card pulling 90mw idle but pulls over 200mw for a few seconds on boot.

I meant unloading via wifi.

DVR switches on and work as usual. I can connect to wifi and card works normally until does not start recording.
so the problem is definitely not a lack of supply.

card turned on and starts but hangs when the device is trying to work with files.
probably DVR uses a wrong algorithm for writing files to SD. regular cards work because there are not too intelligent processor which would see the error

(Last edited by myp on 9 May 2014, 19:00)

Wierd it should work then my understanding is the sd is just a straight passthrough. If it seems to work for 60 seconds you may look at disabling the sync thes cards do every 60 sec (page 4ish of this thread).

As far as transfer you can check out
http://{ip of device}/uploadto.html

or write any custom software and load it with aurorun.sh I even got php and ruby running thanks to a webpage in Japanese (thank you google translate lol)

On a side note if anyone is working on the ravpower filehub and wants to share tips or know of a forum where people are pleas let me know.

smile

Ok, perhaps enable FTP the most convenient way.
but now I found out that the card does not work through the SPI interface, so my idea with the car radio failed.
Only SPI interface implemented in car audio.

it is very sad, I can not even connect it to the Arduino

I've read in some web pages that the Transcend WIFISD doesn't work with some configurations because it is SDHC.

False!

Almost all the errors with this card are caused by the strictly low powered SD-readers of some devices.

On the other side if somebody's device only accepts plain SD-cards(upto 4Gb), then the solution is to make a first 4GB partition on the  card  and then format it as FAT16. 

It works fine, I've tested it, but the remain memory is lost both for Windows as for the Linux embedded, in the first case by stupidity, Microsoft doesn't allow partitions on SD-cards, and in the second case because it's necessary in the boot to mount the spare partition, not planned in the firmware...

I am a newbie and a unix/linux noob. I have a transcend wifisd card 16 GB, and recently updated the firmware to version 2.1. May I know how to even root the card?
I only wise to configure it such that it will automatically transfer the photos taken with the camer,  to my PC in the same intranet

much thanks

Transcend have moved the good version of the source code:
http://transcend-info.com/Support/No-401

I would like to build my own kernel, if i succeed i will probably but it on github or something like that.

Currently i am running the dankrause's stuff it works pretty good.
https://github.com/dankrause/kcard-buildroot/releases

BTW Seams like transend no longer sell the wifisd card. The pqi air card is probably the better choice now days.

EDIT:
It was a lot easier than i thougt github seams a bit much(i hove not flashed yet dont want to destroy anything):

mkdir transcend
cd transcend
curl -O http://www.transcend-info.com/files/Driver/WIFISD_GPL_release_20131219.zip
unzip WIFISD_GPL_release_20131219.zip
cd GPL_release_20131219
tar -vxjf Linux_KA_2_6_20130702_tar.bz2
unrar ToolChain.rar
cd ToolChain
tar -vxjf arm-2011.03.tar.bz2
tar -vxjf arm-uclibc.tar.bz2
cd ..
bash
PATH=/home/$USER/trancend/GPL_release_20131219/ToolChain/arm-2011.03/bin:$PATH
cd Linux_KA_2_6
make mrproper
make ARCH=arm ka2000_defconfig
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-none-eabi-

Then a new kernel should be avalible at arch/arm/boot/Image

(Last edited by callesg on 23 Jun 2014, 10:48)

Automatica is a USB memory stick with built in WiFi.  You can plug it into your car audio USB to play the audio files using the car music controls. Whenever Automatica is able to connect to the Internet, your content is updated from the cloud and kept on the USB flash memory. You can always play your sync'd content from the flash drive, even when you have no internet connection.

Is there someone out there that hack the Transcend to make it work like the Automatica? That is, connect to the cloud on boot and sync the Transcend files that are stored on the cloud? (Dropbox or similar?)

Most recent cars have USB audio ports, some have SD audio ports, or maybe a Transcend SD could be used with a SD to USB device.

Here's a picture and description of the Automatica
https://automaticaweb.com/

A discussion about what I'd like to do
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 98#p232898

Activating the semi built-in telnet and ftp deamons on a Transcend WiFi SD card
http://www.ad001.de/transcend-wifi-ftpd.html

Original Hack Blog
http://haxit.blogspot.com/2013/08/hacki … cards.html

Can anyone take on the project to make a transend automatically sync (download) from a cloud folder?

chuck(at)etusa.com

(Last edited by chuckegg on 2 Aug 2014, 15:56)

chuckegg wrote:

Automatica is a USB memory stick with built in WiFi.  You can plug it into your car audio USB to play the audio files using the car music controls. Whenever Automatica is able to connect to the Internet, your content is updated from the cloud and kept on the USB flash memory. You can always play your sync'd content from the flash drive, even when you have no internet connection.

Is there someone out there that hack the Transcend to make it work like the Automatica? That is, connect to the cloud on boot and sync the Transcend files that are stored on the cloud? (Dropbox or similar?)

Most recent cars have USB audio ports, some have SD audio ports, or maybe a Transcend SD could be used with a SD to USB device.

Here's a picture and description of the Automatica
https://automaticaweb.com/

A discussion about what I'd like to do
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 98#p232898

Activating the semi built-in telnet and ftp deamons on a Transcend WiFi SD card
http://www.ad001.de/transcend-wifi-ftpd.html

Original Hack Blog
http://haxit.blogspot.com/2013/08/hacki … cards.html

Can anyone take on the project to make a transend automatically sync (download) from a cloud folder?

chuck(at)etusa.com

\
Is it possable? Probably
Will it be easy? Not really, if you want the function of that other device getting one and seeing how hackable it is may be easier.

If you really want to take this on I can get you started and may even be able to build some packages for you. But, since you just want the function the other thing has why not just get it and be happy?