OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: OpenWRT builds (CC) fully featured for various routers

The content of this topic has been archived between 7 Oct 2014 and 5 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

First time out with this ROM (r42039 on wndrmacv2) for me and it's looking fine with one exception, so I thought I'd ask here if there's a known issue before burning too much more time on figuring this out.

In short, no matter what I do, 5GHz (Atheros AR9220 802.11an (radio1)) never shows up outside of the router (i.e. no SSID). 2.4Ghz (Atheros AR9223 802.11bgn (radio0)) always does. They're each configured as similarly as possible, and I've deleted/recreated many times, as well as trying 5Ghz alone. Specific channels vs auto don't seem to matter (no other 5Ghz devices in range anyway). It's enabled in the UI, so this is puzzling.

The log even shows the wlan1 link "up" just as it does wlan0.

Edit: I should add that my phone, which is my wifi client, is 5Ghz capable. It uses the Broadcom BCM4330. A tablet that I have also uses that chip. However, a laptop I have uses a Ralink RT2870, which like the Broadcom supports 5Ghz and also can't see the SSID.

(Last edited by rseiler on 13 Aug 2014, 08:00)

FYI, it appears that packages.gz is no longer available here:
http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/packages

So this is returned when "Update lists" is performed (or opkg update at terminal).

Is it correct that the one we should be pointing to (there are six to choose from) is the one in the 'luci' subfolder?

I only noticed this because I'm looking into installing vnstat daily bandwidth recording into the UI (one of the few things it's missing), but luci-app-vnstat wasn't listed in the "Available packages" section.

Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/packages/Packages.gz.

wget: server returned error: HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
Collected errors:
* opkg_download: Failed to download http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/packages/Packages.gz, wget returned 1.

Thanks.

Though, ar71xx instead of brcm47xx in many of our cases.

Since we have six separate locations now rather than one, how can those be fashioned in the opkg.conf so they're all concatenated rather than the last 5 not being used?  When they're all present, you get "opkg_conf_parse_file: Duplicate src declaration" errors and only base is used.

Well make sure the src/gz names are unique, as given in the paste.

First i want to apologies for my English. And my two questions are:

1. Can i flash my router's with your firmware from factory firmware? (My router's are WR1043ND v.1 and WDR3600 v.1.x.)
2. Second question is what file to download because i don't want to brick my device's.

I what to thanks in advance.

nafnafff wrote:

1. Can i flash my router's with your firmware from factory firmware? (My router's are WR1043ND v.1 and WDR3600 v.1.x.)
2. Second question is what file to download because i don't want to brick my device's.

Yes, you can, you should flash the files for your routers with the word "factory" in their names. The other files, with the word  "sysupgrade" in the name, are only for upgrade of existing OpenWRT installation.

philip_petev wrote:
nafnafff wrote:

Yes, you can, you should flash the files for your routers with the word "factory" in their names. The other files, with the word  "sysupgrade" in the name, are only for upgrade of existing OpenWRT installation.

Ok when i came back from work tonight, i will check link with downloadable file's and search for these with "factory" to flash my router.

Thanks.

How to reset to default on this version of OpenWRT.

System / Backup-Flash Firmware: Perform reset

i config something wrong on LAN settings and i don't see 192.168.1.1. I what to reset to defalt with hardware button or something like this.

Don't quote me on this, but I seem to recall reading up this thread or another that you can hold in your reset button (usually a tiny button on the back) for 10 seconds or more to do it.

I handle whit enter in failsafe and than telnet and ........Thank's anyway.

On Win 8.1, I noticed that the router appears in Network (in Explorer), which AFAIK is what happens when UPnP is enabled. However, according to Services/UPnP in the router, "Start UPnP and NAT-PMP service" and "Enable UPnP functionality" and even "Enable NAT-PMP functionality" are unchecked (some were not unchecked by default, which is interesting).

Looking over at the Initscripts page, I see that as a result of the above, miniupnpd is not starting.

Is it correct then that I should still be seeing the router in the OS despite all the above?

@mk13139: may I ask you for a favour: can you prepare one build with unlocked "u-boot" partition? Only one line (line 152: parts[0].mask_flags = MTD_WRITEABLE;) should be removed in order to make that partition writable. I'm planning to test this u-boot mod on my second router WR841N V8 and writing the bootloader through OpenWRT would be safer than writing it through the serial port. Thank you in advance !

(Last edited by philip_petev on 18 Aug 2014, 19:36)

Hi guys. Because i have problems with wi-fi signal and connectivity on openwrt 12.09 final, i want to revert to this build. And so my question is can i revert to this build from web interface with squashfs-sysupgrade or must do something else. Thank in advance.

You're not really reverting since you are upgrading! But yes, you can use Luci sysupgrade functionality. I would recommend clearing all settings and reconfiguring though, as many things have changed since 12.09 in terms of config files.

OK thanks.I will reset to default and then i update to  this build

Hi there and first of all thanks for making it easy for us with these pre prepared builds (using it on a WNDR3700v2 here), on the my question:

I came from DD-WRT which had no ip6tables support, now switching to this my download speed via HE ipv6 tunnel has diminished by almost 50% (I was expecting some drop but not quite as much) anything I might be able to look into to get back a bit of that speed? Or is that just a side effect of not having native ipv6 yet and trying to filter the tunnel with ip6tables?

(Last edited by johndoe on 21 Aug 2014, 22:29)

mk13139, thanks for the updated build.

Quick question: Is it normal for a user-installed package (in my case, VnStat) to disappear after doing an upgrade from an earlier build (settings retained type upgrade)?  It's not a big deal to reinstall it, but I'm curious if there's something that I should be doing to make it stickier.

Which reminds me, in the last build I'm 99% certain that there was a button in the UI that did the equivalent of "opkg update."  It was somewhere in System/Software as I recall. After using it once or twice back then, it's since vanished, and it's not in the new build, either. I could be missing it, but I don't think so.

Thanks

rseiler wrote:

mk13139, thanks for the updated build.

Quick question: Is it normal for a user-installed package (in my case, VnStat) to disappear after doing an upgrade from an earlier build (settings retained type upgrade)?  It's not a big deal to reinstall it, but I'm curious if there's something that I should be doing to make it stickier.

Which reminds me, in the last build I'm 99% certain that there was a button in the UI that did the equivalent of "opkg update."  It was somewhere in System/Software as I recall. After using it once or twice back then, it's since vanished, and it's not in the new build, either. I could be missing it, but I don't think so.

Thanks

Yes, this is normal in openwrt. Unfortunately, sysupgrade doesn't preserve packages, in part because anything that was dependent on a specific kernel version would break. Hopefully at some point in the future, openwrt can run sysupgrade and update any installed packages in one swift motion. The alternative is to build your own image, either by compiling it or using the image builder, that includes all of the packages you want. A sysupgrade built in this way would not need any reinstallation.

I can confirm that openvpn is not installing with r42260, or r42258.
router is tp link wr841n-v9.
If i try to install openvpn after the fact i get the error

Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for openvpn-openssl
*      kernel (= 3.10.49-1-f6de7189ee57039cb8b4dca4b00f431e) *

If anyone knows a solution to install openvpn please let me know....

OP thanks for making these builds the free space is much better than i was getting with other builds.

thanks
Blade

drawz wrote:
rseiler wrote:

Is it normal for a user-installed package (in my case, VnStat) to disappear after doing an upgrade from an earlier build (settings retained type upgrade)?  It's not a big deal to reinstall it, but I'm curious if there's something that I should be doing to make it stickier.

Yes, this is normal in openwrt. Unfortunately, sysupgrade doesn't preserve packages, in part because anything that was dependent on a specific kernel version would break. Hopefully at some point in the future, openwrt can run sysupgrade and update any installed packages in one swift motion. The alternative is to build your own image, either by compiling it or using the image builder, that includes all of the packages you want. A sysupgrade built in this way would not need any reinstallation.

Third option is to use a shell script to store the package list before sysupgrade (e.g. to /etc/config/ ) and to install the needed packages after the sysupgrade using that saved package list. I am including this script in my own community build:
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=194478#p194478

Hello, which one can you suggest to test IPv6 (Dual-Stack), better if it includes PPPoE on the WAN Ethernet interface, and DS-Lite?

Is this one TP-Link WDR3600 useful?

Thanks for your time!!!

hnyman wrote:
drawz wrote:
rseiler wrote:

Is it normal for a user-installed package (in my case, VnStat) to disappear after doing an upgrade from an earlier build (settings retained type upgrade)?  It's not a big deal to reinstall it, but I'm curious if there's something that I should be doing to make it stickier.

Third option is to use a shell script to store the package list before sysupgrade (e.g. to /etc/config/ ) and to install the needed packages after the sysupgrade using that saved package list. I am including this script in my own community build:
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=194478#p194478

It would be great if you could submit that for inclusion with openwrt by default! Or maybe an installable package and this would be the only package that you would have to manually reinstall after an upgrade? Certainly makes running trunk with frequent updates much nicer.

Sorry, posts 251 to 250 are missing from our archive.