OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Unofficial Full Feature Images

The content of this topic has been archived between 14 Apr 2018 and 7 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

hnyman wrote:

This firmware seems to be closed-source, details of modifications are not stated publicly, so it is rather hard to check this kind of assumptions of the built-in settings without installing the firmware...

AdamK wrote:

Note that I am not modifying the code provided by OpenWRT just adding all the necessary bits & compiling them into images for all to benefit.

Closed source is not an accurate statement here.  And details are posted obviously, there's just very little of them.

(Last edited by alaric on 5 May 2014, 16:56)

AdamK wrote:

Hi all,
I've built a new set of images based on trunk revision 40659 for Barrier Breaker & routers with the ar71xx target, including the WNDR3700v4 and WNDR4300.

http://www.mcservices.com.au/downloads/ … er-r40659/

Thank you AdamK! You did a great job for building images for 3700v4. I flashed this image on my 3700v4, and it works very well except the USB HDD. I plugged in it, but nothing happened. And I can't find the "Mount point" tab under Administration. Then I did some googling and it seems I should install "block-mount" to get it work. But I see USB HDD feature is in your built-in list. So now I am confused, could you help me? Thanks in advance.

After reading hnyman comment regarding QoS, I tried r40659 again and check the settings, it's not enable by default same with mk13139 build. Next thing I tried was to disable QoS init script service under System->Startup and true enough problem resolved. BTW, I did not disable this in mk13139 build!

Now I'm puzzled, does it mean I have to go through all the services in Startup and disable those I'm not using even if the individual function/service enable box is not ticked?

(Last edited by AL on 6 May 2014, 12:54)

hnyman wrote:

This firmware seems to be closed-source, details of modifications are not stated publicly, so it is rather hard to check this kind of assumptions of the built-in settings without installing the firmware...

I think this is a rather inaccurate statement.  At the very least I have stated the trunk revision number, which if you go to http://dev.openwrt.org/log/ you'll see all the changes that the OpenWRT dev's have provided.

If I have added or removed a package from the build then I will generally outline that here; especially when I receive feedback that can help improve the builds I am compiling for the benefit of the community on these forums.

AL wrote:

After reading hnyman comment regarding QoS, I tried r40659 again and check the settings, it's not enable by default same with mk13139 build. Next thing I tried was to disable QoS init script service under System->Startup and true enough problem resolved. BTW, I did not disable this in mk13139 build!

Now I'm puzzled, does it mean I have to go through all the services in Startup and disable those I'm not using even if the individual function/service enable box is not ticked?

Interesting.  I notice that the default settings for Wondershaper are rather junk.  Ironically when I test a default build on a WDR4300, Wondershaper doesn't kick in by default.  That said however, perhaps go back to defaults and then change the bandwidth settings in Wondershaper to reflect the speeds of your broadband connection, save & apply these and then test.

If that resolves things, I may look at how I can change the default for Wondershaper to reflect some more realistic values rather than leaving people scratching as to why their Internet runs like a dog smile

nickhuang wrote:
AdamK wrote:

Hi all,
I've built a new set of images based on trunk revision 40659 for Barrier Breaker & routers with the ar71xx target, including the WNDR3700v4 and WNDR4300.

http://www.mcservices.com.au/downloads/ … er-r40659/

Thank you AdamK! You did a great job for building images for 3700v4. I flashed this image on my 3700v4, and it works very well except the USB HDD. I plugged in it, but nothing happened. And I can't find the "Mount point" tab under Administration. Then I did some googling and it seems I should install "block-mount" to get it work. But I see USB HDD feature is in your built-in list. So now I am confused, could you help me? Thanks in advance.

Sounds like I have missed something, although for some reason it does work for me on a WDR4300 and WNDR4300.

At any rate, I will compile a new build now, with block-mount included, based on trunk revision 40718.

AdamK wrote:

Interesting.  I notice that the default settings for Wondershaper are rather junk. 
If that resolves things, I may look at how I can change the default for Wondershaper to reflect some more realistic values rather than leaving people scratching as to why their Internet runs like a dog smile

Same goes also for qos-scripts that has pretty low default bandwidth settings.

I thought that you might have already changed a few of the settings in the included modules and that was the point of my previous comment about "details of modifications not stated publicly".

This is a challenge for all builders of community builds. The same settings will not be suitable for all, so it would be great to highlight the potential caveats or need-to-change settings regarding the modules included in the build. And provide details of the possible changes made.

Hint for you: two easy ways to modify the defaults: either edit the sources directly (if the source is on Openwrt repository and not downloaded later) or include a modified settings in files/etc/config/qos and files/etc/config/wondershaper etc.

If you do modifications, if is great from user perspective if you provide a clear diff of the changes made.

(Last edited by hnyman on 7 May 2014, 07:58)

AdamK wrote:

I have compiled new images for most routers on the ar71xx target.

These are at:

http://www.mcservices.com.au/downloads/OpenWRT/r40512/

This patches Heartbleed, adds the ipset utility, and updates the Strongswan version in the image.

Notes for WNDR4300 & WNDR3700v4 users:
There is only a factory image available; you should flash this via the stock Netgear firmware.  Be sure once flashed to POWER CYCLE your router otherwise some hardware will not come up.

So to be clear, if I'm using one of your previous NAND releases for the 3700v4, I need to erase this, go back to stock, and then flash again with the updated one?

As I have no problems that I can see, I think I'll leave that for now until there's such a thing as a sysupgrade version for the 3700v4

Or can these be flashed directly from one of your previous builds somehow?

hnyman wrote:

I thought that you might have already changed a few of the settings in the included modules and that was the point of my previous comment about "details of modifications not stated publicly".

This is a challenge for all builders of community builds. The same settings will not be suitable for all, so it would be great to highlight the potential caveats or need-to-change settings regarding the modules included in the build. And provide details of the possible changes made.

Hint for you: two easy ways to modify the defaults: either edit the sources directly (if the source is on Openwrt repository and not downloaded later) or include a modified settings in files/etc/config/qos and files/etc/config/wondershaper etc.

If you do modifications, if is great from user perspective if you provide a clear diff of the changes made.

Yes well as far as changing the default packages were concerned I did not delve into this a great deal whatsoever, except where the WNDR3700v4 & WNDR4300's were concerned, however that is covered in another thread on here.

As for the rest, first I am too lazy to go tinkering too much with the OpenWRT provided defaults and second it was prudent to not modify too much from the defaults until feedback from various sources was received and then I could see about making some default changes.  It's hard to know what the community needs are until you hear about them and that is starting to happen in this thread thanks to those who have already provided the feedback so far.

I'm working on a new build based on trunk revision 40712 however when testing it put my router into an infinite rebooting loop, so I reverted back.  The only modification I had made was to add the block-mount base system package into the build.  I'll try with a completely fresh checkout of the trunk; I did notice that there was upgrades made to the toolchain in trunk by the OpenWRT dev's so it could be breaking some stuff.

harpingon wrote:

So to be clear, if I'm using one of your previous NAND releases for the 3700v4, I need to erase this, go back to stock, and then flash again with the updated one?

As I have no problems that I can see, I think I'll leave that for now until there's such a thing as a sysupgrade version for the 3700v4

Or can these be flashed directly from one of your previous builds somehow?

There are no sysupgrade images available as OpenWRT developers have not yet overcome an issue preventing this due to the NAND flash on the 3700v4's and WNDR4300's.

Some people have been able to TFTP the factory images built as well.  However in both cases your settings are lost so I advise you to make a backup of your configuration files (which can be done easily via System  --> Backup/Flash firmware) before you upgrade your image.

Once the OpenWRT developers have overcome their problems with NAND flash memory types then the images I build will also start supporting sysupgrade images and I will be able to build sysupgrade images alongside the current factory ones that I can already make.

nickhuang wrote:

I've been able to build an image which corrects this for you using trunk revision 40718.  I've added in the block-mount option in the build configuration which should enable this feature for you.  It's not available for download yet as I am testing the image for anything that I may have also broken, based on the fact a build I did late yesterday certainly broke things.

Additionally, I am also working on how to build all available packages as well as the packages which are already in my builds by default and then uploading these to the server for people to download so that they can add additional functionality to their image which may not be pre-installed in my builds.  This is in response to feedback from another thread.  More details are here https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 56#p232756

AdamK wrote:
nickhuang wrote:

I've been able to build an image which corrects this for you using trunk revision 40718.  I've added in the block-mount option in the build configuration which should enable this feature for you.  It's not available for download yet as I am testing the image for anything that I may have also broken, based on the fact a build I did late yesterday certainly broke things.

Additionally, I am also working on how to build all available packages as well as the packages which are already in my builds by default and then uploading these to the server for people to download so that they can add additional functionality to their image which may not be pre-installed in my builds.  This is in response to feedback from another thread.  More details are here https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 56#p232756

Glad to know you've solved it! I appreciate it so much! Looking forward to your new build.

EDIT:  This post WAS for revision 40718 however I have removed this build due to missing bits to support FAT32 filesystems and thus not resolving anything.  I'm keeping the remaining contents of the post here however to outline changes that I have made.

Hi all,
I've uploaded the build for trunk revision 40727 to the server.

You can get a fresh build for your router here:

http://www.mcservices.com.au/downloads/ … er-r40727/

Changes (that I have made):

*  Added block-mount from the base packages
*  Removed StrongSwan (as the image sizes were getting too large)

I attempted to get the build scripts to compile all the packages in addition to what I have built into the images already for people to download however this did not prove very successful, even with various suggestions listed here on the forums by the community & developers.  Perhaps I have to do a whole fresh build and specifically select all packages...if anyone knows of a shortcut for this that would be helpful and I will give it a crack.

Thanks

(Last edited by AdamK on 8 May 2014, 10:17)

Hi again,
Yes this was a VERY fast turnaround however testing revealed a further issue with FAT32 devices connected via USB.

As such I've built new images again based on trunk revision 40727.

Changes:
*  Added packages kmod-nls-cp437 kmod-nls-iso8859-1
This change adds proper kernel support for FAT32 file partitions, as well as initial CDROM file systems that some USB 3G/4G dongles offer when in software mode.

I'm still testing but at least FAT32 devices now show up and can be mounted.  Will be REMOVING the 40718 builds from the server shortly so do not try to get the images for revision 40718 that I have built.

(Last edited by AdamK on 8 May 2014, 10:19)

drawz wrote:

Maybe not a good idea to use wondershaper: http://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/cer … r_Must_Die
Might be better to just stick to qos_scripts and fq_codel? Looking forward to cerowrt SQM being added to openwrt.

Not sure about others on here but for me Wondershaper has been very helpful.  For example I can deliver traffic at the fastest speed possible for my Internet connection without being sent into lag oblivion.  It does seem to be functioning for me and so that is one of the reasons why I keep it in the builds.  Yes, it is a rather old system nowadays and so at some stage no doubt it will become depreciated. 

For now, however, I will look at modifying the default speeds to something more realistic in a future build.  That is next on the list after I resolve the current HDD sharing/FS support items I am already working on.  Until then for those who do see slow speeds, check Wondershaper, which is under Network from the menu options, and adjust it to match your broadband speeds or just set the values to something crazy high, or disable it under the System/Start Up settings (it is called wshaper as well)

AdamK wrote:

I attempted to get the build scripts to compile all the packages in addition to what I have built into the images already for people to download however this did not prove very successful, even with various suggestions listed here on the forums by the community & developers.  Perhaps I have to do a whole fresh build and specifically select all packages...

You really don't want to build all packages, at least not from all the feeds...

Packages include all kind of exotic stuff, e.g. voip telephone switch/exchange systems with voice recordings etc.
Building all packages available on ar71xx takes 12-30 hours for buildbot's buildslaves, so depending on the efficiency of your PC, expect something similar.

>95% of packages can be installed right from the snapshot repository.
Only <5% of packages, mainly the kernel modules requiring exact checksum might be worthwhile to build along your main build. (and usually even those kmods can be installed by hand with "opkg --force-depends" as long as you have not changed kernel options from defaults.

hnyman wrote:

You really don't want to build all packages, at least not from all the feeds...

Packages include all kind of exotic stuff, e.g. voip telephone switch/exchange systems with voice recordings etc.
Building all packages available on ar71xx takes 12-30 hours for buildbot's buildslaves, so depending on the efficiency of your PC, expect something similar.

Oh joy.  Thanks for that, guess that idea is off the table.

For now I have put up revision 40727 with the packages which I built to form the images on the server.  I'll dig a bit more into what packages to include as extras in the packages directory further down the track.

@AdamK just a quick word of thanks for providing these images. My WNDR4300 has taken very well to OpenWrt.

AdamK wrote:

I have compiled new images for most routers on the ar71xx target.

These are at:

http://www.mcservices.com.au/downloads/OpenWRT/r40512/

This patches Heartbleed, adds the ipset utility, and updates the Strongswan version in the image.

Notes for WNDR4300 & WNDR3700v4 users:
There is only a factory image available; you should flash this via the stock Netgear firmware.  Be sure once flashed to POWER CYCLE your router otherwise some hardware will not come up.

I'm trying to build WNDR3700v4 from trunks, but only got some images of WNDR3700 and WNDR3700v2. Would you please tell me how to build a image for WNDR3700v4? It need special operation for it?

AdamK wrote:

EDIT:  This post WAS for revision 40718 however I have removed this build due to missing bits to support FAT32 filesystems and thus not resolving anything.  I'm keeping the remaining contents of the post here however to outline changes that I have made.

Hi all,
I've uploaded the build for trunk revision 40727 to the server.

You can get a fresh build for your router here:

Changes (that I have made):

*  Added block-mount from the base packages
*  Removed StrongSwan (as the image sizes were getting too large)

I attempted to get the build scripts to compile all the packages in addition to what I have built into the images already for people to download however this did not prove very successful, even with various suggestions listed here on the forums by the community & developers.  Perhaps I have to do a whole fresh build and specifically select all packages...if anyone knows of a shortcut for this that would be helpful and I will give it a crack.

Thanks

@AdamK, just a quick feedback. Mounting USB is working on FAT32 storage, great. But when I try mounting ext3 USB HDD, it seems the filesystem type is not supported yet. Then I try installing kmod-fs-ext4, but failed:
root@OpenWrt:/# opkg install kmod-fs-ext4
Installing kmod-fs-ext4 (3.10.36-1) to root...
Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/ … r71xx.ipk.
Collected errors:
* satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for kmod-fs-ext4:
*      kernel (= 3.10.36-1-6548302841f6df0132fbc6960fa209fb) *         kernel (= 3.10.36-1-6548302841f6df0132fbc6960fa209fb)*
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package kmod-fs-ext4.

Anyway, it's been a great openwrt image for 3700v4 so far.

Tried you Version 40727 on TP-Link WDR3600 and quickly had to revert back to official openwrt trunk due to following issues:

kmod-fs-ext4 is not included and cannot be installed manually either. This is very important for me.
WIFI in luci only shows abg, there is no N available for both radios.

nickhuang, you need to force the install (see below)...

farrukh, did you force the install?

hnyman wrote:

Only <5% of packages, mainly the kernel modules requiring exact checksum might be worthwhile to build along your main build. (and usually even those kmods can be installed by hand with "opkg --force-depends" as long as you have not changed kernel options from defaults.

Yes tried --force-depends. But no luck.