OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Update on Linksys WRT1900AC support

The content of this topic has been archived between 16 Sep 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Okcizo wrote:
LogicoZone wrote:

Does anyone test the USB performance over samba on revision r44622?

I can mount and browse but unable to copy file out from mount nor can I play or view image/video. The speed is extremely slow.

P.S USB storage is formatted as ext4.

Can anyone share your samba configuration and template? BTW, I'm using OS X 10.10.2 as client to connect samba share on openwrt.

With more test, it seems it's related to wifi. If I use Ethernet, it seems ok. But on wifi, my internet speed is ok though.

Same here , wifi is very slow for samba and minidlna

It's the same with r44455 revision (Kaloz).

l3333 wrote:
JW0914 wrote:
l3333 wrote:

@JW0914

Sorry to hear that. Port forwarding shouldn't be the issue with openwrt. Maybe you miss something.

As I mentioned in my original post, I double and triple checked the conf files... everything from the client through the router (up until the router forwards to the VPN Server) is extremely simple configuration wise.  Server and Client conf files need to have matching values, proper server and client keys need to be in their respective folders, and that's about it for complexity before the router hands off the packets to the VPN Server.

If I was having issues past the router and within the VPN itself, I could understand your point... however it is clear from the logs OpenWRT refuses the connection on 1194.

Per OpenVPN on Android 5.0:

Contacting <router public IP>:1194 via TCP
EVENT: WAIT
Transport Error:  TCP connect error on <DDNS host address>:1194 connection refused

OpenVPN client on Windows returns similar wording along with connection refused by OpenWRT.  While it is possible I am missing a step with the configuration of OpenWRT, it's unlikely I made a mistake configuring the conf files for the VPN (there's only ~ 10 customized values per file)

My point is that I have the same config working. Thank you for your attention.

How did you configure the port forwards for your vpn server?  What VPN server are you using? Is your VPN server through the router firmware or a separate server?

Simply telling someone you have the same config and it works 1) helps no one 2) is beyond vague and 3) instead of saying thanks for your post, a relevant post to the issue at hand would be appreciated.

(Last edited by JW0914 on 11 Mar 2015, 08:46)

l3333 wrote:
JW0914 wrote:
l3333 wrote:

My point is that I have the same config working. Thank you for your attention.

How did you configure the port forwards for your vpn server?  What VPN server are you using? Is your VPN server through the router firmware or a separate server?

Simply telling someone you have the same config and it works 1) helps no one 2) is beyond vague and 3) instead of saying thanks for your post, a relevant post to the issue at hand would be appreciated.

You aggression is something very strange here. I have the same VPN server as yours trough a separate server. The difference maybe that I'm using real external IP address. Sorry, but I can't help you. Please relax and turn to somebody else.

Which goes back to what I said... if you can't help, why even respond?  Not only that, you responded in a dismissive, patronizing, and hubristic manner not once, but twice.

(Last edited by JW0914 on 11 Mar 2015, 09:10)

@JW0914 & l3333

Please chill. There are more important things to be ironed out with this device than quarrel.

nitroshift

I have been working with leitec on a performance issue that plagues this (otherwise beefy) device. It can NOT get anywhere near gigabit speeds while translating ip addresses (aka NAT). With official firmware download speed gets to 930Mbps last time I checked (I have a gigabit PPPoE connection to the internet) while on OpenWRT it caps up at 300Mbps. We are pretty sure that official firmware uses hardware accelerated NAT but OpenWRT doesn't support this feature.

nitroshift

nitroshift wrote:

@JW0914 & l3333

Please chill. There are more important things to be ironed out with this device than quarrel.

nitroshift

I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone on this forum. You have been exceptionally
helpful and I find if my question isn't answered right away, it eventually is. I have also learned alot
from everyone here, which has aided me in becoming much more comfortable with Openwrt firmware.

I don't see a reason for anyone to be unduly aggressive in responses.

nitroshift wrote:

I have been working with leitec on a performance issue that plagues this (otherwise beefy) device. It can NOT get anywhere near gigabit speeds while translating ip addresses (aka NAT). With official firmware download speed gets to 930Mbps last time I checked (I have a gigabit PPPoE connection to the internet) while on OpenWRT it caps up at 300Mbps. We are pretty sure that official firmware uses hardware accelerated NAT but OpenWRT doesn't support this feature.

nitroshift

Do you think Linksys/Marvell may be keeping the opensource releases, one generation behind stock ?

@mojolacerator

Linksys is using a custom-built kernel for its official firmware (3.2.4), with proprietary hacks in various places, including drivers and subsystems. Porting the drivers for mainline kernels is not an easy task and requires rewriting most of the code (if not entirely). Back to the WRT1900AC, there is a huge difference between the driver used in official firmware (it is split in two: API's and the binary file) and the open-source driver (clean Linux code). That's why the original driver used by Chadster in his McWRT branch could not be included in mainline OpenWRT.

nitroshift

(Last edited by nitroshift on 11 Mar 2015, 11:15)

I see McWrt uses AA... but there is also BB available.
Anyone tried to build it?

@belliash

WRT1900AC is not supported in Barrier Breaker.

nitroshift

@belliash

Good luck compiling the firmware with that source! tongue

nitroshift

nitroshift wrote:

@belliash

Good luck compiling the firmware with that source! tongue

nitroshift

Im just asking, because it is available.
I thought someone already tried it.

Anyway, whats the problem with it?

@belliash

The code is unmaintained for the WRT1900AC and it also contains the old version of the driver which includes the binary part.

nitroshift

nitroshift wrote:

@belliash

The code is unmaintained for the WRT1900AC and it also contains the old version of the driver which includes the binary part.

nitroshift

I understand that, but you told me there is no BB version of McWrt, while I have given you a link. I might be wrong, but it seems to be the exact version as option 1 listed on http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/linksys/wrt1900ac just on top of BB, instead of AA. Thus I'm curious, what is wrong with this build, as it might be a great alternative to AA version of McWrt, which many people consider as very stable firmware for our router.

@belliash

There's NO Barrier Breaker links in the WRT1900AC OpenWRT wiki.. BB is different code although it's using the same release of the wireless driver. There's NO barrier Breaker image available for thw WRT1900AC. If you feel brave, you might compile one wink

nitroshift

(Last edited by nitroshift on 11 Mar 2015, 14:03)

nitroshift wrote:

@belliash

There's NO Barrier Breaker links in the WRT1900AC OpenWRT wiki.. BB is different code although it's using the same release of the wireless driver. There's NO barrier Breaker image available for thw WRT1900AC. If you feel brave, you might compile one wink

nitroshift

I agree there is no image available and I have never said there is... But still source code can be found and its official, isn't it?
So maybe we should give it a try? wink Also I wonder if no-one really tried it yet, or what was the result?

EDIT: Or even better, looks like precompiled images are already available here: https://github.com/wrt1900ac/opensource … er-Breaker tongue

(Last edited by belliash on 11 Mar 2015, 14:10)

@belliash

I don't want to sound harsh, but what part of "not maintained" you don't understand? If you found firmware images based on BB code, by all means try them, BUT on your own risk!

nitroshift

The stress is getting to people now smile

@alirz

Not at all, but we do get tired answering the same question over and over in a VERY short period of time...

nitroshift

How can there be any stress.  Use what is already provided with respect and kindness and demand nothing.  Or build it from scratch yourself.   

Quite simple actually.

Many thanks to all who have contributed!!!

(Last edited by kirkgbr on 11 Mar 2015, 15:23)

belliash wrote:
nitroshift wrote:

@belliash

nitroshift

I agree there is no image available and I have never said there is... But still source code can be found and its official, isn't it?
So maybe we should give it a try? wink Also I wonder if no-one really tried it yet, or what was the result?

EDIT: Or even better, looks like precompiled images are already available here: https://github.com/wrt1900ac/opensource … er-Breaker tongue

I've tried it, I'd suggest strongly to stay with the people on this forum working on the CC image.

That BB flash was worse then stock firmware.

I've tried nearly everything. From what I have found, the work going on here is by far the most current/realtime anywhere.
Kudos go to the developers here, taking the WRT1900AC way past the stock firmware. Linksys would do themselves a favour
and provide more up to date drivers. I fully intended to have 2 * WRT1900AC's in my house. But Linksys reluctance to cooperate, has had me add
an ASUS AC87U, instead of a second WRT1900AC.

nitroshift wrote:

@alirz

Not at all, but we do get tired answering the same question over and over in a VERY short period of time...

nitroshift

I don't blame you.

Has the WIKI page been updated with the buildbot link, download link, timeline link etc., with Luci Install instructions?

I think alot of answers would be answered by sending the link to the wiki.

In regards to Linksys/Marvell releasing new drivers. How does that work?
Is anyone from OpenWRT in communication with them? Or we are simply at Marvell's mercy to provide some information on the next release?

It would have been a cool idea if Linksys had released this router with both the stock and openwrt installed (fully worked out and no kinks) on the two flash memories and letting users switch. They do give the ability to "restore previous version" from the stock firmware GUI.

Buffalo has a router that comes with DD-wrt as stock FW.

(Last edited by alirz on 11 Mar 2015, 17:00)

DavidMcWRT wrote:
doc_bravn wrote:
DavidMcWRT wrote:

First successful straight-trunk build in a while is now out.

Firmware Version    OpenWrt Chaos Calmer r44622 / LuCI (git-15.063.86061-b9e3aae)
Kernel Version    3.18.8

This img file included LuCi?

No.  However, all you all need to do is those steps I gave at the end: ssh (or telnet) in then type:

opkg update
opkg install luci-ssl

/etc/init.d/uhttpd start
/etc/init.d/uhttpd enable

I was unable to run 'opkg update' due to the this image having a wan connection type of 'dhcp' instead of 'pppoe'. A little research turned up the my necessary commands at OpenWrt Wiki "Internet Connection". I had to use the following commands to see the internet. I didn't need to use quotes since I don't have spaces.

uci set network.wan.proto=pppoe
uci set network.wan.username='YourISPUsername'
uci set network.wan.password='YourPassword'
uci commit network
ifup wan