OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Update on Linksys WRT1900AC support

The content of this topic has been archived between 16 Sep 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

alirz wrote:

In regards to Linksys/Marvell releasing new drivers. How does that work?
Is anyone from OpenWRT in communication with them? Or we are simply at Marvell's mercy to provide some information on the next release?

It would have been a cool idea if Linksys had released this router with both the stock and openwrt installed (fully worked out and no kinks) on the two flash memories and letting users switch. They do give the ability to "restore previous version" from the stock firmware GUI.

Buffalo has a router that comes with DD-wrt as stock FW.

FYI:
(Before opting for the WRT1900ac) I tried the Buffalo. It went back to the retailer after 24 hours. The branded DD-WRT FW on board is Buffalo's own (stunted) version. Many of the settings found in the original builds are absent and Buffalo will not honour its warranty if an original build is installed.

@grimley

Thanks for the info. I didnt get the Buffalo router as I already had a router without external antennas and wanted something with a longer range.

update on r44622

Almost made it to 3 days.  Hung twice so far this morning (un-reachable).

If it does it again I will jump up to the March 11 build and keep everyone posted

Cheers

***EDIT***

By comparison my second unit running stock in wireless bridge mode is solid:

page generated on Wed Mar 11 17:03:46 UTC 2015

UpTime: 17:03:46 up 19 days, 22:55, load average: 1.32, 1.31, 1.31

Firmware Version: 1.1.8.164461
Firmware Builddate: 2014-11-20 19:26

(Last edited by doITright on 11 Mar 2015, 18:05)

doITright wrote:

update on r44622

Almost made it to 3 days.  Hung twice so far this morning (un-reachable).

If it does it again I will jump up to the March 11 build and keep everyone posted

Cheers

***EDIT***

By comparison my second unit running stock in wireless bridge mode is solid:

page generated on Wed Mar 11 17:03:46 UTC 2015

UpTime: 17:03:46 up 19 days, 22:55, load average: 1.32, 1.31, 1.31

Firmware Version: 1.1.8.164461
Firmware Builddate: 2014-11-20 19:26

I'm back on stock FW as well for now (after Mar. 9 trunk locked up). The interface makes me mental, but try as I may, I have been unable to trip it up. (I've taken to power cycling after making changes).

Can anyone confirm that wifi transmit power does actually change (r44455). Interface reports that Tx power has been changed but there is no signal level change, between 0 to 20 dBm, on the client side.

Another issue is that disabling the wifi radio with  'uci set wireless.@wifi-device[0].disabled=1; uci commit wireless; wifi down radio0', doesn't stop radio from broadcasting. Even SSID is visible but you cannot connect. Radio stops broadcasting only after router reboot. Is this openwrt expected behavior?

I think there is SAMBA issue over wifi but only limited to SAMBA server running on OpenWRT.

I have a ext4 usb drive connected to router and shared via SAMBA. I also have an NAS connected to router via ethernet and also shared via SAMBA.

Same client, Apple rMBP, has no problem to transfer/browse files on NAS over wifi. However, it's slow or even fail to download small files from SAMBA share from OpenWRT.

Does anyone have usable performance on the shared usb storage? If so, please share the configuration.

If it's purely wifi speed issue, I should see same result on my NAS share as well but that's not the case.

Also, i'm running 44622 but it rebooted itself this morning after about 24 hours while sending an email with 3mb attachment. It didn't hang at least. I'd rather it reboot rather than hang. I'm running SAMBA (no active connection though), ocserv (no active connection though), openvpn (no active connection though) when rebooted.

Running own build based on kernel 4.0-rc3. As stable as stock although subjected to intense traffic, both inbound and outbound, but still lacking in speed due to missing code for hardware accelerated NAT in switch driver.

http://s11.postimg.org/5tmalcmfz/Untitled.jpg

nitroshift

(Last edited by nitroshift on 11 Mar 2015, 18:58)

LogicoZone wrote:

I think there is SAMBA issue over wifi but only limited to SAMBA server running on OpenWRT.

I agree it's only wifi + samba issue. Having Synology NAS connected to the router, download speeds from NAS over wifi are OK but from router samba share are in the kB/sec range. Using wired connection, I can easily get 40-50 MB/s from the router samba share.

@nitroshift

Do you need to do anything special to get it to compile? I have been getting an error when u-boot is compiling.

scripts/kconfig/conf --silentoldconfig Kconfig is where it starts.

I don't even have a scripts/kconfig directory. It's been about two weeks since my last successful compile.

Charlie

@cblackxyzzy

Apart from setting the kernel version, there's nothing to be done really.

nitroshift

PS. For anyone who wants to test any of my builds ON THEIR OWN RISK, the images can be found here: https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=518138F5 … 8BE%212294 WARNING! There is NO package available for install after flashing. Packages from trunk MAY be installed with --force-depends switch but there's no guarantee that won't break the stability / performance. Having said that, the images come with LuCI, NFS shares, Samba server, DDNS scripts and their corresponding LuCI apps, support for ext4 filesystem and IPv6 protocol.

(Last edited by nitroshift on 11 Mar 2015, 19:26)

@nitroshift

I was afraid of that! I never used to have a problem compiling. I'll just use snapshots until I figure it out.

Thanks, Charlie

nitroshift wrote:

@cblackxyzzy

nitroshift

PS. For anyone who wants to test any of my builds ON THEIR OWN RISK, the images can be found here: https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=518138F5 … 8BE%212294 WARNING! There is NO package available for install after flashing. Packages from trunk MAY be installed with --force-depends switch but there's no guarantee that won't break the stability / performance. Having said that, the images come with LuCI, NFS shares, Samba server, DDNS scripts and their corresponding LuCI apps, support for ext4 filesystem and IPv6 protocol.

I may give your 4.0-rc3 a go.  For me it is more about the stability vs speed anyway.

Any ideas on how long it will be until the main trunk is at this kernel version?

Thanks

nitroshift wrote:

@cblackxyzzy

nitroshift

@nitroshift,

I'm very interested in knowing your SAMBA or NFS share performance over wifi. I just updated to latest trunk and tested with SAMBA/NFS share and both got terrible performance. it would not even transfer file with couple megabytes.

tombo wrote:
LogicoZone wrote:

I agree it's only wifi + samba issue. Having Synology NAS connected to the router, download speeds from NAS over wifi are OK but from router samba share are in the kB/sec range. Using wired connection, I can easily get 40-50 MB/s from the router samba share.

I just came to the conclusion that luci gui slowdown happens only over wifi connection. Further, there is the same slowdown on RPC connection to the Transmission daemon over wifi and an instant response over wired connection.
So, root cause for those speed problems could be the same but, of course, only a developer could have a clue, which one.

Stumped here. I'm playing with the stock FW these days (after running several trunk versions with mixed results) and I have just experienced the same WAN drop (with stock) as I have seen with trunk images. Windows reports no internet access. Wireless appears to remain active, but LAN access (wireless and wired) does not work. This (in this case) after about 24 hours uptime (with a variety of streaming and other loads). Saw the same behavior with trunk as soon as an hour or two after boot to several days after power cycle. I have changed the modem-router ethernet cable (it could be something as simple as that, I suppose) but I'm wondering if it's hardware - elsewhere, somewhere.

I've only gone back a few pages, so please forgive me if this was asked recently, but is there still pressure on Linksys to release the proper source code to for the proprietary Marvell chipset and any other needed bits of code?  Their web site still advertised this model as having been 'Developed for use with OpenWRT', but if official OpenWRT builds do not run on this model, then it can and should be claimed that this is false advertising on their part.

Personally, if I were one of the main OpenWRT devs, I'd be inclined to send them a Cease & Desist letter to prevent them from claiming this until such time as they fork over the code, so to speak...

grimley wrote:

Stumped here. I'm playing with the stock FW these days (after running several trunk versions with mixed results) and I have just experienced the same WAN drop (with stock) as I have seen with trunk images. Windows reports no internet access. Wireless appears to remain active, but LAN access (wireless and wired) does not work. This (in this case) after about 24 hours uptime (with a variety of streaming and other loads). Saw the same behavior with trunk as soon as an hour or two after boot to several days after power cycle. I have changed the modem-router ethernet cable (it could be something as simple as that, I suppose) but I'm wondering if it's hardware - elsewhere, somewhere.

Now that I think about it, what you describe is the reason why I started searching for an alternative to stock last summer.
I found this forum and switched to McWRT and finally to trunk. 

I have to admit that with McWRT my internet connection loss (as you describe) went away. 

With trunk everything is awesome (at least for me) until the router locks up completely every few days.

I never went back to stock until I got the second unit (early last month) and needed bridging.

If you can, give r44486 a try.  It gave me two back to back 7 day runs.

Cheers

@doITright

Chaos Calmer will stay most probably at version 3.18.x of the kernel, I am building these images with latest kernel for testing purposes and backporting changes to mainline kernel.

@LogicoZone

Samba performance over wifi is quite poor, NFS is better. Good thing is that the router doesn't hang while transferring files to and from the external HDD formatted in ext4 and transfers complete OK, whether over Samba shares or NFS.

nitroshift

(Last edited by nitroshift on 12 Mar 2015, 06:00)

Trying to install the latest trunk image. LuCI install command produces the following:

Collected errors:
* satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for luci:
*      uhttpd *        uhttpd-mod-ubus *
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package luci.

How to fix pls.
Thx

@grimley

Before installing LuCI,

opkg update
opkg install uhttpd

nitroshift

nitroshift wrote:

@grimley

Before installing LuCI,

opkg update
opkg install uhttpd

nitroshift

Collected errors:
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package uhttpd.
root@OpenWrt:/# opkg install uhttpd
Unknown package 'uhttpd'.

@grimley

I had to edit /etc/opkg.conf to get more than the 'base' directory with 'opkg update'. All the other lines had been commented out.

Charlie

This is beyond my current level of ability.
I now have a router with wired LAN only.
Thanks

@grimley

Revert to last known to work firmware.

nitroshift

grimley wrote:

This is beyond my current level of ability.
I now have a router with wired LAN only.
Thanks

I understand. It seems that you are very close to success though. If you want to you can look at the contents of the opkg.conf file with a single command. This assumes that you are using putty to run the openwrt busybox command processor. Just type cat /etc/opkg.conf and you will see the file contents on your screen. Just look for any lines starting with #. They are the "commented out lines". If you notice the line that contains 'luci' has a # at the start then it will not download  luci until you remove the # and maybe the left spaces too. If you need to use the built in editor vi we can help. I use winscp to edit the file with a easy editor but vi works too.

Charlie