OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Update on Linksys WRT1900AC support

The content of this topic has been archived between 16 Sep 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Nihilanth wrote:

@Kaloz

There's a new kernel release (3.18.12) and I was wondering if you could push that to trunk.

Cheers!

I'm waiting for .13 (it should be out soonish), as .12 still misses some of the fixes we have for the platform.

Just finished building with 4.1-rc1 *without wifi* as the mac80211 package is broken for this version. Just wanted to test it for NAT speed, but won't be able to do that until later on when I get home.

nitroshift

(Last edited by nitroshift on 30 Apr 2015, 10:49)

Kaloz wrote:
Nihilanth wrote:

@Kaloz

There's a new kernel release (3.18.12) and I was wondering if you could push that to trunk.

Cheers!

I'm waiting for .13 (it should be out soonish), as .12 still misses some of the fixes we have for the platform.

Cheers for the update!

JimWright wrote:

I finished up my serial port install on the WRT1900AC this evening, snapped a few pics.  I'm waiting on higher access to the wiki so that I can upload images directly rather than linking them externally, but here's a sneak peak at the finished look:

http://wrightthisway.com/images/WRT1900AC_Serial_Outside.jpg

I'm using a MAX3232 breakout board on the inside, along with a proper JST PH6 connector going to the built in header, and from there going to a Philmore 3.5mm jack.  Externally, I found a DB9/3.5mm cable, these aren't common, but easy enough to find online, and run this to a standard USB/DB9 serial adapter.

As soon as I can upload images into the wiki, I'll put a full writeup there with a few more pics.

Very nice!

bobbintb wrote:

I've looked through this thread a bit but not the entire thing and looked elsewhere as well. I'm running stock firmware, haven't done anything to it at all. A few times my router just quit working. It won't broadcast and the ethernet quits working as well. LEDs stay on but I have to unplug it for a minute or two before it starts working. If I just restart it the power and another LED (I forget which) just come on and it doesn't do it's normal LED flashing boot up. I've heard how awful the stock firmware is. I always planned to use OpenWRT but my question is is this a hardware issue or a firmware issue?

I'm beginning to suspect it's hardware.
Just barfed here again (OpenWRT trunk). Tried power cycling this time. Stayed up for about 72 hours and then jammed.

kirkgbr wrote:
JimWright wrote:

I finished up my serial port install on the WRT1900AC this evening, snapped a few pics.  I'm waiting on higher access to the wiki so that I can upload images directly rather than linking them externally, but here's a sneak peak at the finished look:

http://wrightthisway.com/images/WRT1900AC_Serial_Outside.jpg

I'm using a MAX3232 breakout board on the inside, along with a proper JST PH6 connector going to the built in header, and from there going to a Philmore 3.5mm jack.  Externally, I found a DB9/3.5mm cable, these aren't common, but easy enough to find online, and run this to a standard USB/DB9 serial adapter.

As soon as I can upload images into the wiki, I'll put a full writeup there with a few more pics.

Very nice!

Indeed. Très clean.

JimWright wrote:
Kaloz wrote:

All the new WRT routers have their own firmware images in trunk, you have to use the right one.

WRT1900AC(v1) - Mamba
WRT1900ACv2 - Cobra
WRT1200AC - Caiman

I took a stab at updating the wiki to include the v2 information.  I'm assuming that the v2 models are shipping since firmware has been released, but I haven't been able to confirm the exact processor or memory.  If anyone has that info and can make the appropriate updates, it would be appreciated.

@JimWright - Nice work adding the v2 information to the wiki page http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/linksys/wrt1900ac

If you have it working, would you also check on the info (for v1 and/or v2) posted at the top of that page? I have been following the conversation here, but don't have a WRT1900AC to check that any of it works. I'm especially worried that the info about retrieving firmware images and the status of the firmware is unverified... Thanks!

running trunk

Using username "root".
Authenticating with public key "rsa-key-20120810"

BusyBox v1.23.2 (2015-04-26 03:30:09 UTC) built-in shell (ash)

Linksys WRT1900AC (Mamba)
Security is enabled, and your IP address has been logged.

root@AC1900:~# uname -a
Linux AC1900 3.18.11 #1 SMP Sun Apr 26 03:50:29 UTC 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux
root@AC1900:~# uptime
14:27:01 up 4 days, 19 min,  load average: 0.01, 0.02, 0.04
root@AC1900:~#

Kaloz wrote:

WRT1900AC(v1) - Mamba
WRT1900ACv2 - Cobra
WRT1200AC - Caiman

Here they got
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless … ed?start=1
that WRT1200 on 15% faster than WRT1900

So  WRT1900 ver.2 may be even more faster, maybe on 20-30% than ver.1

(Last edited by hyppo on 30 Apr 2015, 22:00)

hyppo wrote:
Kaloz wrote:

WRT1900AC(v1) - Mamba
WRT1900ACv2 - Cobra
WRT1200AC - Caiman

Here they got

The CPU IMHO on the WRT1900V1 should be faster than the V2. The performance increase noted in the smallnetbuilder review between the WRT1200 and WRT1900 could possibly be due to the WRT1200 shipping with more mature drivers.

linuxman5 wrote:
hyppo wrote:
Kaloz wrote:

WRT1900AC(v1) - Mamba
WRT1900ACv2 - Cobra
WRT1200AC - Caiman

Here they got

The CPU IMHO on the WRT1900V1 should be faster than the V2. The performance increase noted in the smallnetbuilder review between the WRT1200 and WRT1900 could possibly be due to the WRT1200 shipping with more mature drivers.

Board: RD-AXP-GP rev 1.0
SoC:   MV78230 B0
       running 2 CPUs
       Custom configuration
CPU:   Marvell PJ4B (584) v7 (Rev 2) LE
       CPU 0
       CPU    @ 1200 [MHz]
       L2     @ 600 [MHz]
       TClock @ 250 [MHz]
       DDR    @ 600 [MHz]
       DDR 32Bit Width, FastPath Memory Access
       DDR ECC Disabled
DRAM:  256 MiB

I like the v1, pretty nice stats IMHO

(Last edited by gufus on 1 May 2015, 00:12)

Apr29 trunk (1900ac v1) full img. power cycled. Lost WAN access after about two hours. This time, the wireless connection continued to function. (Did not have time to check wired). Back to an earlier version (Apr22).

gufus wrote:
       running 2 CPUs
       Custom configuration
       CPU 0
       CPU    @ 1200 [MHz]
       L2     @ 600 [MHz]
       TClock @ 250 [MHz]
       DDR    @ 600 [MHz]
       DDR ECC Disabled

Here it said
http://www.marvell.com/embedded-process … 230_OS.PDF
that CPU may work at 1.6GHz with memory at 800MHz (DDR3-1600). I am wonder if this router may be overclocked to these rates?

linuxman5 wrote:

Well, WRT1200 frequency is on 10% higher, this has an impact too.

What the performance Lan-to-Wireless Lan (i e when one PC connected with wired LAN, and another PC connected over W-Fi) may be achieved on latest openwrt drivers?

On official firmware I may get 640mbps (80MB/s), when copying large file.

SNB has similar 631mbps in their WAN-to-LAN throughput tests.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/ch … wan-to-lan

(Last edited by hyppo on 1 May 2015, 03:22)

richbhanover wrote:
JimWright wrote:
Kaloz wrote:

All the new WRT routers have their own firmware images in trunk, you have to use the right one.

WRT1900AC(v1) - Mamba
WRT1900ACv2 - Cobra
WRT1200AC - Caiman

I took a stab at updating the wiki to include the v2 information.  I'm assuming that the v2 models are shipping since firmware has been released, but I haven't been able to confirm the exact processor or memory.  If anyone has that info and can make the appropriate updates, it would be appreciated.

@JimWright - Nice work adding the v2 information to the wiki page http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/linksys/wrt1900ac

If you have it working, would you also check on the info (for v1 and/or v2) posted at the top of that page? I have been following the conversation here, but don't have a WRT1900AC to check that any of it works. I'm especially worried that the info about retrieving firmware images and the status of the firmware is unverified... Thanks!

Regarding the specs, I've only been able to confirm the USB Info definitively, the CPU info I put up doesn't look specific, just the class of chip, not a specific model that I can tell.  I actually don't have a v2 to confirm any of this info myself, once someone here has one in their hands this can be confirmed.

Others here are making updates to the Wiki page for the 1900, and I'm pretty sure that everything at the top is reasonably current.

Also, my Serial Port info is all updated with pictures, enjoy!  This weekend I'm picking up some smaller clear heat shrink tubing for the MAX3232 board, that sucker was much smaller than I expected.  smile

I'm curious to know how most people that claim stability are testing. Has anyone been doing video chats and voice calls? 90% of my calls end up dropping and delay and jitter is unbareable. It may stay up and my movie streaming hides the breakage w/ buffering, but ... anyone else not seeing the chaos calm down?

srd wrote:

I'm curious to know how most people that claim stability are testing. Has anyone been doing video chats and voice calls? 90% of my calls end up dropping and delay and jitter is unbareable. It may stay up and my movie streaming hides the breakage w/ buffering, but ... anyone else not seeing the chaos calm down?

I have voip lines and video streaming over mine without issues.  Either you have another problem or something configured wrong.

srd wrote:

This might be caused by bufferbloat.

1) Check out the DSLReports Speed Test at http://dslreports.com/speedtest to confirm whether it's present

2) Try turning on SQM/fq_codel. It would definitely get rid of bufferbloat (and the attendant delay/jitter). See the HOWTO at  http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/sqm for instructions.

I'm trying to set up a dmz on physical port 4 on my ac1900 but I obviously don't know what i am doing

Looking at the Switch to Port layout it looks like the ports are reversed, so physical port 4 is port 0 on the switch, so I have tried to set up a new vlan 3 like this:

config switch
    option name 'switch0'
    option reset '1'
    option enable_vlan '1'

config switch_vlan
    option device 'switch0'
    option vlan '1'
    option ports '1 2 3 5'

config switch_vlan
    option device 'switch0'
    option vlan '2'
    option ports '4 6'

config switch_vlan
    option device 'switch0'
    option vlan '3'
    option ports '0 5'

Then i set up a new interface like this:

config interface 'dmz'
    option ifname 'eth0.3'
    option force_link '1'
    option type 'bridge'
    option proto 'static'
    option ipaddr '10.1.1.1'
    option netmask '255.0.0.0'
    option ip6assign '60'

But it seems like is not even affecting the correct physical port! I'm using my old wndr3700 config as template, but that switch layout/config is different from. Has any one set up a DMZ on their ac1900 and could point me in the right direction?

PS
Sorry if this has been brought up before in this thread, but i can not find a way to search a specific thread on this forum, is that possible?

srd wrote:

I've been playing D3-- sensitive to latency and have a VoIP line I'm on daily (with no QOS rules currently) and skype (voice, no video).

CHAOS CALMER (Bleeding Edge, r45286)
 -----------------------------------------------------
Boot partition: 1
root@faster:~# uptime
 07:26:18 up 15 days, 21:56,  load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.04
srd wrote:

I'm curious to know how most people that claim stability are testing. Has anyone been doing video chats and voice calls? 90% of my calls end up dropping and delay and jitter is unbearable. It may stay up and my movie streaming hides the breakage w/ buffering, but ... anyone else not seeing the chaos calm down?

\

Well, we barely use our cable so I usually have 2-3 teens in the house streaming netflix WHILE the boy plays his online games WHILE I have a polycom phone directly connected and working to my home office WHILE doing daily video conferences.

I ALSO pay for the highest bandwidth offering my cable company provides.  150Mb/50Mb down/up respectfullly.

I am currently running Kaloz's April 28 image and it is BY FAR the fastest build I have put on this so far.  MANY thanks @KALOZ for your hard work.

QoS / SQM are out of question for speeds above 200Mbps anyway due to their overhead.

nitroshift

hyppo wrote:
gufus wrote:
       running 2 CPUs
       Custom configuration
       CPU 0
       CPU    @ 1200 [MHz]
       L2     @ 600 [MHz]
       TClock @ 250 [MHz]
       DDR    @ 600 [MHz]
       DDR ECC Disabled

Here it said
http://www.marvell.com/embedded-process … 230_OS.PDF
that CPU may work at 1.6GHz with memory at 800MHz (DDR3-1600). I am wonder if this router may be overclocked to these rates?

Ya maybe hu... via serial. Never-the-less pretty fast NAT smile

I overclock my video cards GPU(s), but stay away from CPU(s).

(Last edited by gufus on 1 May 2015, 20:50)

hyppo wrote:
Kaloz wrote:

WRT1900AC(v1) - Mamba
WRT1900ACv2 - Cobra
WRT1200AC - Caiman

Here they got

Another "review" - more positive (although without numbers):
http://www.infoworld.com/article/291654 … endly.html

Interesting to learn about the change from power brick to large plug.

They also linked to Kaloz's OpenWRT builds.

(Last edited by DavidMcWRT on 1 May 2015, 21:26)

DavidMcWRT wrote:

They also linked to Kaloz's OpenWRT builds.

Hmm...

Why-not trunk, interesting ...