OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Update on Linksys WRT1900AC support

The content of this topic has been archived between 16 Sep 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

We REALLY NEED A faq now. smile

JW0914 wrote:
gufus wrote:
quagga wrote:

This chipset doesn't support 160mhz channels AFAIK.

Correct

Not only does the chipset not support it, AFAIK there's not a single consumer client that does either.

Well, that explains it wink  Everyone knows what happens when one assumes... lol  It's in the dropdown, so it should work right?

Appreciate everyone's help.

Cheers,

quagga wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

Downloaded RC2, but really there's only one question that's going to be on most peoples minds... Was there any work done with 5ghz wireless?

There haven't been updates to the upstream mwlwifi driver in some time and none of those addressed the reported crash issues.  https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi

I freshened up my installed image to the latest trunk this afternoon but it doesn't appear it has any correction which would solve the lockup issues.  Time will tell I suppose.

It will be interesting to see if the problem can be solved because those lockups happen with the Linksys stock firmware.  One way OpenWrt can stand out is to solve the problem that Linksys hasn't solved so far.

JW0914 wrote:

@alirz I realized this morning after rereading your replies yesterday I misunderstood what you were asking, and wanted to apologize.  I'm not sure why that occurred, but thought you deserved an apology.

No worries man it happens. Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my first also. I did appreciate the time you took to explain it to me though.

On another note in another post you mentioned that the root partiton could be resized when building a custom image...is that really possible? I would love to get some additional MBs if possible . Even though I have a usb attached for installing software, some software would probably be best to be installed on the roofs...

alirz wrote:
JW0914 wrote:

@alirz I realized this morning after rereading your replies yesterday I misunderstood what you were asking, and wanted to apologize.  I'm not sure why that occurred, but thought you deserved an apology.

No worries man it happens. Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my first also. I did appreciate the time you took to explain it to me though.

On another note in another post you mentioned that the root partiton could be resized when building a custom image...is that really possible? I would love to get some additional MBs if possible . Even though I have a usb attached for installing software, some software would probably be best to be installed on the roofs...

From an article published on a PC review site I read a few days ago [about the WRT1900AC], the author indicated (at least this was my take away) it should be possible to resize the partitions if building your own image.  To be clear, I've never built my own image, and therefore have no experience with it.  The article was about installing and running OpenWRT on the WRT1900ac and it was published sometime in late May, early June, as it referenced the RC1 build and that this thread was over 200 pages long. 

I do know building your own image provides you the ability to build it with all the packages you want, therefore you end up with the same ~28MB free as you would with a bare-bones image. 

**I've learned this is incorrect, please disregard any text in red**

(Last edited by JW0914 on 15 Jun 2015, 17:33)

You can hack your way around to have a single firmware and hence a single partition. There's no clean way to do it automatically for now, but it's on my todo list for the long run.

I run two VPN servers on OpenWRT, one is a private VPN for myself [tun0, subnet 10.0.0.0], while the other is a NAS VPN [tun1, subnet 10.1.1.0] for a group of users to access a specific share on my NAS server and nothing else. As one would expect, there are extremely different firewall rules for both interfaces, with tun1 restricted from all LAN access, except to port 445 for the NAS Server IP. 

Now, here's my problem... too often I log in to the WRT's web management page to see tun0's subnet become tun1's and tun1's subnet become tun0's... which means my private VPN access privileges have now been granted to the extremely restricted NAS users (as most of my firewall rules for the VPNs are interface applicable, while the NAS vpn is also restricted with numerous subnet rules). 

Stopping/Starting OpenVPN (/etc/init.d/openvpn start/stop) doesn't work, however restarting OpenVPN does (/etc/init.d/openvpn restart).  While that solves it when I become aware of it, it doesn't when I'm not aware this issue has occurred.  Has anyone else experienced this or would know where I should start looking to narrow down what's causing this?  (It almost always occurs, when it does occur, after a router reboot)

On RC2 I went 12 hours before a lock up.... Before I left this morning to go to work, I noticed the router was locked up... I checked my SNMP graphs, and since the last reboot it's been 12 hours *sigh*.....

Would be interested to hear how RC2 is working out for others.

JW0914 wrote:
alirz wrote:
JW0914 wrote:

@alirz I realized this morning after rereading your replies yesterday I misunderstood what you were asking, and wanted to apologize.  I'm not sure why that occurred, but thought you deserved an apology.

No worries man it happens. Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my first also. I did appreciate the time you took to explain it to me though.

On another note in another post you mentioned that the root partiton could be resized when building a custom image...is that really possible? I would love to get some additional MBs if possible . Even though I have a usb attached for installing software, some software would probably be best to be installed on the roofs...

From an article published on a PC review site I read a few days ago [about the WRT1900AC], the author indicated (at least this was my take away) it should be possible to resize the partitions if building your own image.  To be clear, I've never built my own image, and therefore have no experience with it.  The article was about installing and running OpenWRT on the WRT1900ac and it was published sometime in late May, early June, as it referenced the RC1 build and that this thread was over 200 pages long. 

I do know building your own image provides you the ability to build it with all the packages you want, therefore you end up with the same ~28MB free as you would with a bare-bones image.

@alirz This is the article I read a few days ago Linux.com Review

It's a fairly long article (quite interesting as well, I'd definitely recommend it as a read for anyone with a WRT1900AC), however if you scroll ~ 1/3 the way down, you'll find the paragraph referencing partitions (it's right underneath the code box with the install command for minidlna)

** It appears I misconstrued what the author wrote, as re-reading that paragraph indicated he had submitted a post requesting if it was possible, however @Kaloz's reply seems to indicate it should be possible.

(Last edited by JW0914 on 15 Jun 2015, 16:08)

JW0914 wrote:

Has anyone else experienced this or would know where I should start looking to narrow down what's causing this?  (It almost always occurs, when it does occur, after a router reboot)

What about hardcoding the tunnel interface names? wink

Kaloz wrote:
JW0914 wrote:

Has anyone else experienced this or would know where I should start looking to narrow down what's causing this?  (It almost always occurs, when it does occur, after a router reboot)

What about hardcoding the tunnel interface names? wink

How would I go about doing that?

JW0914 wrote:
Kaloz wrote:
JW0914 wrote:

Has anyone else experienced this or would know where I should start looking to narrow down what's causing this?  (It almost always occurs, when it does occur, after a router reboot)

What about hardcoding the tunnel interface names? wink

How would I go about doing that?

I guess

option dev vpn0
...
option dev vpn1

should do the trick

Kaloz wrote:
JW0914 wrote:
Kaloz wrote:

What about hardcoding the tunnel interface names? wink

How would I go about doing that?

I guess

option dev vpn0
...
option dev vpn1

should do the trick

*hand meets forehead* duh

lol thanks =]

(Last edited by JW0914 on 15 Jun 2015, 16:29)

JW0914 wrote:
Kaloz wrote:
JW0914 wrote:

How would I go about doing that?

I guess

option dev vpn0
...
option dev vpn1

should do the trick

*hand meets forehead* duh

lol thanks =]

vpn0/1 didn't work, however tun0/1 did.

For anyone else, the first two lines of the config would be

option dev      'tun'
option dev      'tun0'

and

option dev      'tun'
option dev      'tun1'

(Last edited by JW0914 on 15 Jun 2015, 16:30)

@kaloz,
When can we expect a new build?

Thanks,
-JM

JW0914 wrote:
alirz wrote:
JW0914 wrote:

@alirz I realized this morning after rereading your replies yesterday I misunderstood what you were asking, and wanted to apologize.  I'm not sure why that occurred, but thought you deserved an apology.

No worries man it happens. Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my first also. I did appreciate the time you took to explain it to me though.

On another note in another post you mentioned that the root partiton could be resized when building a custom image...is that really possible? I would love to get some additional MBs if possible . Even though I have a usb attached for installing software, some software would probably be best to be installed on the roofs...

From an article published on a PC review site I read a few days ago [about the WRT1900AC], the author indicated (at least this was my take away) it should be possible to resize the partitions if building your own image.  To be clear, I've never built my own image, and therefore have no experience with it.  The article was about installing and running OpenWRT on the WRT1900ac and it was published sometime in late May, early June, as it referenced the RC1 build and that this thread was over 200 pages long. 

I do know building your own image provides you the ability to build it with all the packages you want, therefore you end up with the same ~28MB free as you would with a bare-bones image.


Well actually if you build custom images (as i've been doing for several months now). Adding additional packages eats away space from the usual 28MB. Im my case after a flash of my custom built image, i'm left with about 7MB of free space on the rootfs.

It would be cool to be able to adjust partition sizes. But as @Kaloz mentioned, it would require ditching the dual FW feature i believe.

(Last edited by alirz on 15 Jun 2015, 17:06)

alirz wrote:
JW0914 wrote:
alirz wrote:

No worries man it happens. Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my first also. I did appreciate the time you took to explain it to me though.

On another note in another post you mentioned that the root partiton could be resized when building a custom image...is that really possible? I would love to get some additional MBs if possible . Even though I have a usb attached for installing software, some software would probably be best to be installed on the roofs...

From an article published on a PC review site I read a few days ago [about the WRT1900AC], the author indicated (at least this was my take away) it should be possible to resize the partitions if building your own image.  To be clear, I've never built my own image, and therefore have no experience with it.  The article was about installing and running OpenWRT on the WRT1900ac and it was published sometime in late May, early June, as it referenced the RC1 build and that this thread was over 200 pages long. 

I do know building your own image provides you the ability to build it with all the packages you want, therefore you end up with the same ~28MB free as you would with a bare-bones image.


Well actually if you build custom images (as i've been doing for several months now). Adding additional packages eats away space from the usual 28MB. Im my case after a flash of my custom built image, i'm left with about 7MB of free space on the rootfs.

It would be cool to be able to adjust partition sizes. But as @Kaloz mentioned, it would require ditching the dual FW feature i believe.

Oh, I wasn't aware of that... my bad.

(Last edited by JW0914 on 15 Jun 2015, 17:19)

Chaos Calmer 15.05 RC2.I have not worked autostart igmpproxy.

davidc502 wrote:
northbound wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

Thanks for confirming.....

Do you have 5Ghz set on AC? Or N?

Thanks,

David

AC

I had 160mhz width selected. When I select 80mhz, it works with AC.  Tested with a AC laptop, and from 20 feet way says it was connected at 520mbps... I haven't done any download tests to see the actual data throughput, but it's a good start.

Would you mind testing a width of 160mhz to see if you can connect?

I know this was already answered but this is explains it I wish there was a complete list somewhere of all useful commands. 

iw phy1 info

@kaloz

RC2

openvpn ssl broken

For some reason TUN/TAP dev /dev/net/tun will NOT INSTALL, kmod-tun says it's installed.


Mon Jun 15 14:22:21 2015 OPTIONS IMPORT: --ip-win32 and/or --dhcp-option options modified
Mon Jun 15 14:22:21 2015 OPTIONS IMPORT: peer-id set
Mon Jun 15 14:22:21 2015 WARNING: potential conflict between --remote address [46.246.40.2] and --ifconfig address pair [46.246.40.45, 255.255.255.0] -- this is a warning only that is triggered when local/remote addresses exist within the same /24 subnet as --ifconfig endpoints. (silence this warning with --ifconfig-nowarn)
Mon Jun 15 14:22:21 2015 ERROR: Cannot open TUN/TAP dev /dev/net/tun: No such file or directory (errno=2)
Mon Jun 15 14:22:21 2015 Exiting due to fatal error

I guess I have to start from a fresh flash and scrap all my backups sad

JW0914 wrote:

You'll need to flash the snapshot build then, as it appears RC2 wasn't updated with a recent kernel... which doesn't make a lot of sense to me, since there's no point to a release candidate firmware if most of the commonly used packages cant be installed due to kernel mismatches - meaning most won't test it.

I can install openvpn-ssl in RC2 but the tunnel will not come up.

Might have to flash trunk.

gufus wrote:
JW0914 wrote:

You'll need to flash the snapshot build then, as it appears RC2 wasn't updated with a recent kernel... which doesn't make a lot of sense to me, since there's no point to a release candidate firmware if most of the commonly used packages cant be installed due to kernel mismatches - meaning most won't test it.

I can install openvpn-ssl in RC2 but the tunnel will not come up.

Might have to flash trunk.

From your previous post, it would appear this may be an issue in RC2; however, in order to confirm, someone else on RC2 will need to test OpenVPN.

**On a side note, the issue with the user to whom my quoted reply was to was they had the incorrect repository links for opkg, pulling from trunk, instead of RC2.

(Last edited by JW0914 on 16 Jun 2015, 03:36)

Hi guys. I am currently running Chadsters WRT version. I need a firmware that is stable and reliable, i do not care for many features other than renaming the SSID and setting the password, maybe a little port forwarding. Which of the current releases would best suit my needs?

rich123321 wrote:

Hi guys. I am currently running Chadsters WRT version. I need a firmware that is stable and reliable, i do not care for many features other than renaming the SSID and setting the password, maybe a little port forwarding. Which of the current releases would best suit my needs?

Kaloz's or the RC2 build

Sorry, posts 5651 to 5650 are missing from our archive.