OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Update on Linksys WRT1900AC support

The content of this topic has been archived between 16 Sep 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Kaloz wrote:
JW0914 wrote:
Kaloz wrote:

People should report bugs in the driver's page. There's no way I can force people to submit more detailed information wink For most people, wifi is rock solid, for some, it's a mixed bag - and for a small percentage, it's a reboot every 2 days. As long as people don't submit detailed bugreports with more information on their configuration (what clients are connected and co) it's hard to replicate the issue. If you can't replicate it, you can't find the bug and fix it. It's that simple.

I wasn't aware there was a way to file bug reports (don't I feel like an idiot lol).  What's the link to driver page? 

I can at least provide the link and request people to file a detailed bug report when someone does report a lockup.

It's still https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi smile Bug reports are at https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi/issues

Besides reporting a bug, how much more helpful would it be to provide syslog?

davidc502 wrote:
francispereira wrote:

How do I configure OpenWRT such that traffic from wireless clients is not NATed through WAN. I have a firewall upstream and it needs to see the client's real IP not the router's IP. Cant seem to find relevant documentation.

That's going to be a tough one because RFC1918 defines private addresses which are on the inside, and are not routeable outside. The firewall would be considered 'outside'. The option of NAT could be done away with if each wireless client has a public IP address. Purchasing or renting a block of Public IP addresses would give you a small range to dole out to the wireless clients.

There may be some feature sets I'm not aware of. I'll talk to a couple of firewall engineers and see what's possible.

You may consider keeping the router outside (turn off wireless), and Firewall behind the router. From there, connect a separate wireless access point to the firewall, inside interface, as well as a switch. This way you can control what's behind the firewall (I.E. wired and wireless clients).

Here is what my setup looks like and how I got this to work. WiFi clients and the router is on 192.168.0.1/24 (lan) and the firewall is on 192.168.10.1/24. WAN on the route is 192.168.10.11/32. I got the firewall to see my client' real IP by unchecking 'Masquerading' for zone Lan and Wan (Network -> Firewall -> Zones). Also, for zone lan I had to enable forwarding to destination and source wan. This has to be configured the other way round too, i.e allow frowarding to zone wan from destination and source lan. Inspiration for this came from section 'Using routing' documented on page http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/routedclient

That's really good flexibility by OpenWrt to be able to do this on the WAN interface.

Great job being able to figure this out!

Chadster766 wrote:
Kaloz wrote:
JW0914 wrote:

I wasn't aware there was a way to file bug reports (don't I feel like an idiot lol).  What's the link to driver page? 

I can at least provide the link and request people to file a detailed bug report when someone does report a lockup.

It's still https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi smile Bug reports are at https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi/issues

Has any headway happened on the one major issue #20?
https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi/issues/20

ask yuhhaurlin wink

A fan control flowchart created in Visio 2013 is available here:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= … sp=sharing

There are 2 files:

1. WRT1900ac Fan Control.png is a print screen graphic of the Visio file. Click the file to view it. Double click again will make it larger. Double clicking again will expand it one more time.  This will print to an 8.5" x 14" sheet.

2. wrt1900ac fan control.vsdx is the Visio 2013 file which can be downloaded for editing if you have or access to Visio. Click the icon.

Either file can be downloaded by clicking the down arrow in the centre at the top of the window that opens.

No passwords required.

This addresses some issues with regard to load averages & higher than normal incremental temperature changes.

I am not able to program this.

Rick S

(Last edited by RickStep on 18 Jun 2015, 21:58)

trunk

Firmware Version OpenWrt Chaos Calmer r46006 / LuCI (git-15.167.59229-eac90c7)
Kernel Version 3.18.14

timezone 'MST7MDT,M3.2.0,M11.1.0'

just shows UTC timezone

JW0914 wrote:

In the 6 months of running OpenWRT, I've had maybe 2, possibly 3, lockups at most.  I know you're not the only one having experienced lockups, but I'm beginning to wonder if the lockups experienced are being caused by very specific customizations done to OpenWRT in very specific situations.

I can reproduce lockups and disconnects without any customizations, just with encryption enabled.

Kaloz wrote:

People should report bugs in the driver's page. There's no way I can force people to submit more detailed information wink For most people, wifi is rock solid, for some, it's a mixed bag - and for a small percentage, it's a reboot every 2 days. As long as people don't submit detailed bugreports with more information on their configuration (what clients are connected and co) it's hard to replicate the issue. If you can't replicate it, you can't find the bug and fix it. It's that simple.

I have collected a lot of logs and backtraces, even exact reproduce steps for these issues on tracker. If developers need more, they should just tell us. But they tell nothing.

Vanav wrote:
JW0914 wrote:

In the 6 months of running OpenWRT, I've had maybe 2, possibly 3, lockups at most.  I know you're not the only one having experienced lockups, but I'm beginning to wonder if the lockups experienced are being caused by very specific customizations done to OpenWRT in very specific situations.

I can reproduce lockups and disconnects without any customizations, just with encryption enabled.

Kaloz wrote:

I have collected a lot of logs and backtraces, even exact reproduce steps for these issues on tracker. If developers need more, they should just tell us. But they tell nothing.

This is good to know someone's already providing all the logs needed.

First, as a new user, I wanted to say how much I appreciate all the discussion and work that's happening around this router.  The posts in this thread, while sometimes difficult to navigate smile  are invaluable.

I'm looking for a little guidance on proper settings for transmit power for the 2.4 and 5 GHz radios on the WRT1900AC.  In some Openwrt discussions/documentation, I get the impression that it may not matter, because the software may be setting it automatically based on regulatory domain.  But I'm not 100% sure I'm understanding that correctly.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions/guidance.

Chadster766 wrote:
Kaloz wrote:
JW0914 wrote:

Update
https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi/commit … ba6adf9734

This is probably a stupid question. Why does winscp quit downloading from a usb drive at 477 meg? It does not matter if it is a dir of small files or a large file. I know there is a 2 or 4 gig limitation on a single file but I am not close to that. Using kmod-fs-ntfs
I have searched but can not find an answer.
Thanks.

Posted on DD-WRT's website for the Linksys 1900AC as of two days ago... This is in regards to support.......

"A good working relationship has been formed with Linksys to where there is now DD-WRT support planned for the Linksys WRT1900AC and WRT1200AC routers. This is possible due to Linksys and Marvel working closely to improve the upstream support for the Marvel CPUs and Wi-Fi radios. Stay tuned for more news in the near future!"

https://www.dd-wrt.com/site/content/dd- … wrt-1900ac

Near future could mean anything, but is this 'relationship' only flowing in one direction?

(Last edited by davidc502 on 19 Jun 2015, 04:09)

northbound wrote:

This is probably a stupid question. Why does winscp quit downloading from a usb drive at 477 meg? It does not matter if it is a dir of small files or a large file. I know there is a 2 or 4 gig limitation on a single file but I am not close to that. Using kmod-fs-ntfs
Thanks.

It's WinSCP, It does the same thing here too. Win Explorer and xplorer² work fine.

(Last edited by gufus on 19 Jun 2015, 04:25)

nitroshift wrote:

@Kaloz

Just finished building an image from trunk. Running OK so far.

nitroshift

My build from trunk failed. What did you do (installing new package into OS or anything else) to make it working? It seems my issue related to the libc change.

ieee802dot11.h:109:1: warning: useless storage class specifier in empty declaration [enabled by default]
 };
 ^
In file included from ieee802dot11.c:29:0:
iwlib.h:90:2: error: #error "Your kernel/libc combination is not supported"
 #error "Your kernel/libc combination is not supported"
  ^
ieee802dot11.c: In function 'addList':
ieee802dot11.c:4705:8: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type [enabled by default]
   list = ( LIST_HEAD ( , avNode ) * ) l;            // NOTE: don't know how to get 
        ^
ieee802dot11.c: In function 'flushList':
ieee802dot11.c:4789:8: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type [enabled by default]
   list = ( LIST_HEAD ( , avNode ) * ) l;    // NOTE: don't know how to get 
        ^
make[6]: *** [ieee802dot11.lo] Error 1

@LogicoZone

I have my config file saved from previous builds so I don't have to run make menuconfig each time. Apart from that I don't change anything. Probably I don't get errors because my builds are with newer kernels (4.0.5 in this case ).

nitroshift

(Last edited by nitroshift on 19 Jun 2015, 07:56)

Vanav wrote:

Your assuming they look here which they probably don't.
It's also not so simple to know how to get the information to developers that can actually use it and want to know about it.

For example a kernel backtrace collected from the console might be relevant to platform maintainers that are probably present on a Marvel platform mailing list somewhere or LKML so the info would need to be forwarded to them. Or it might be a wireless driver related problem in which case it should be posted as an issue at the Github Marvel wireless driver repo. But you don't really know which it is.

To get that information to those that need it requires another level of triage, so called "front line support" that actually have enough skill and the time to work this out and see that the information gets to the right people.

This might be where the flow of information is breaking down and there's not much that can be done about it because the "front line support" type role is a thankless and frustrating role at the best of times.

davidc502 wrote:

Posted on DD-WRT's website for the Linksys 1900AC as of two days ago... This is in regards to support.......

"A good working relationship has been formed with Linksys to where there is now DD-WRT support planned for the Linksys WRT1900AC and WRT1200AC routers. This is possible due to Linksys and Marvel working closely to improve the upstream support for the Marvel CPUs and Wi-Fi radios. Stay tuned for more news in the near future!"

https://www.dd-wrt.com/site/content/dd- … wrt-1900ac

Near future could mean anything, but is this 'relationship' only flowing in one direction?

How "surprising" they only forgot to mention OpenWrt as usual.. Specially as all they will do is change the webinterface to their own wink

Kaloz wrote:

Pushed to both CC and trunk.

So with the trunk in flux due to the updates you mentioned the other day, we should really wait for the RC3 build to give this a try (or try building our own of the current CC branch?).

quagga wrote:
Kaloz wrote:

Pushed to both CC and trunk.

So with the trunk in flux due to the updates you mentioned the other day, we should really wait for the RC3 build to give this a try (or try building our own of the current CC branch?).

You can do that, sure. I'll probably update my own images during the weekend and let you know here. Than it can be tested easily smile

Chadster766 wrote:
Kaloz wrote:
JW0914 wrote:

I've never experienced the issue, so unfortunately I'm not sure. 

Could it be possible this isn't an issue with OpenWRT and an issue with the WiFi drivers of the client's, or customizable settings for those drivers?  I know very little about coding and have even less of an understanding of what happens on the backend in the firmware, but I find it baffling why some users have this and other issues, whereas others don't.

If looked at logically, the only plausible reason would have to be something with the clients (not that the clients are problematic or have issues operating properly).  While operator error within OpenWRT could be the answer, I find it unlikely since all posts I've read come from users not customizing anything on OpenWRT or things that would [should] never cause the types of issues experienced.  However, thinking about this logically from a non-coding perspective is probably different from thinking about it logically from individuals who code and debug.

(Last edited by JW0914 on 19 Jun 2015, 15:46)

northbound wrote:

Thanks.

I've never used winscp, so I can't provide insight into your issue, but I can offer an alternative to try.

I prefer PuTTY and contained within is a program called pscp that is done via the command line.

The basic command to pull a file from the router would be:

pscp -scp -P 22 root@192.168.1.1:/tmp/File.txt C:\Path\To\File.txt

And to push a file to the router, simply transpose locations:

pscp -scp -P 22 C:\Path\To\File.txt root@192.168.1.1:/tmp/File.txt

You can also do the same Pull/Push via an encryption key:

pscp -r -i C:\Path\To\Encryption\Key.ppk -2 -scp -P 22 root@192.168.1.1:/etc/openvpn/keys C:\Putty\OpenVPN

-r is for recursive
-i is to use the encryption key
-2 is to specify ssh2
-scp is self explanatory
-P is for the port #

pscp /? will also provide all available command switches

PuTTY Download
Select "A Windows installer for everything except PuTTYtel"

In order to use PSCP, you either need to open a command prompt in [or navigate a prompt to] the PuTTY installation folder.  However, I find it more convenient to simply add the PuTTY install path to the Environment Path Variable (System - Advanced System Settings - Environment Variables - System [or User] Variables - Path)

(Last edited by JW0914 on 19 Jun 2015, 16:14)