OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Update on Linksys WRT1900AC support

The content of this topic has been archived between 16 Sep 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Claibourne wrote:

I'm looking for a little guidance on proper settings for transmit power for the 2.4 and 5 GHz radios on the WRT1900AC.  In some Openwrt discussions/documentation, I get the impression that it may not matter, because the software may be setting it automatically based on regulatory domain.  But I'm not 100% sure I'm understanding that correctly.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions/guidance.

The regulatory domain does control the decibel boost you can provide based on channel and location.

Providing a dB boost has both positive and negative consequences... boosting provides more power to the antenna, and therefore the antenna will transmit further, however, boosting too high can cause the equipment to fail prematurely (much as overclocking can).  Some people boost a full 1W (1000mw or 30 dB), which doesn't sound like a lot, except it's an extreme amount on the nano-scale of circuit boards.  Boosting dB, due to physics, also increases the heat that will be output from the circuit board and it's components.

I personally boost my 5gHz channel by 25dB (316mw), as the 5gHz spectrum degrades rapidly through walls and metal; while I only boost the 2.4gHz by 17dB (50mw).  As you'll notice, due to physics, the higher the dB boost, the more exponential the amount of power becomes to boost to that dB level.  High gain antennas are also worth the investment.

(Last edited by JW0914 on 19 Jun 2015, 16:27)

JW0914 wrote:
Claibourne wrote:

I'm looking for a little guidance on proper settings for transmit power for the 2.4 and 5 GHz radios on the WRT1900AC.  In some Openwrt discussions/documentation, I get the impression that it may not matter, because the software may be setting it automatically based on regulatory domain.  But I'm not 100% sure I'm understanding that correctly.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions/guidance.

The regulatory domain does control the decibel boost you can provide based on channel and location.

Providing a dB boost has both positive and negative consequences... boosting provides more power to the antenna, and therefore the antenna will transmit further, however, boosting too high can cause the equipment to fail prematurely (much as overclocking can).  Some people boost a full 1W (1000mw or 30 dB), which doesn't sound like a lot, except it's an extreme amount on the nano-scale of circuit boards.  Boosting dB, due to physics, also increases the heat that will be output from the circuit board and it's components.

I personally boost my 5gHz channel by 25dB (316mw), as the 5gHz spectrum degrades rapidly through walls and metal; while I only boost the 2.4gHz by 17dB (50mw).  As you'll notice, due to physics, the higher the dB boost, the more exponential the amount of power becomes to boost to that dB level.  High gain antennas are also worth the investment.

One other potential power of bossting power to your transmitter: It does allow the receivers (in your laptops, tablets, phones, etc) to hear the signal even if they're far away.

But the law of physics work in both directions. Your laptop also has to send its signal *back to the router*. Since there's no corresponding boost of the laptop transmitter, its signal may not be strong enough when it reaches the router. (There are stunts that happen with MIMO and other sexy technologies to extend the range, but they all will run into this fundamental law of physics - each receiver needs to be able to hear the other transmitter.)

However, high gain antennas can help here. An antenna has "high gain" because a) it sends its electrical energy more efficiently into the airwaves, and b) because it "collects" more of the signal from the airwaves to create an electrical signal to go to the receiver. The extreme examples of this are the Pringles cantenna's, or using a discarded satellite dish for long-range wifi. (The googles is your friend.)

Using a high gain antenna can help your router to hear your laptop "better", thus giving you better range.

(Last edited by richbhanover on 19 Jun 2015, 18:21)

I'm not sure of how much improvement you're going to get by buying so called "high gain" antenna. The stock antenna are already optimized at 100% wavelength with a optimized dispersion pattern. The best thing one can do to increase range is to add height to the antenna (or get walls out of the way). Many so called high gain antenna, just add height, and hence increase range by design.

There are some omni antennas that do a better job of dispersing the radiation pattern and radiation angle, but I'm not sure how much 'gain' one would expect for antenna that could be used for many different purposes.

Supposedly, the Linksys 1900 has "Beamform" technology that allows the antenna to direct RF energy into a direction -- If this is true, then that's going to be 'gain' over a regular omnidirection antenna. Without knowing the details of how this works, it just sounds like a sales "Gimmick".

Wasn't going to say this, but as a FCC license holder, with antenna experience, I'm skeptical. Not to say, 3rd party high gain antennas don't work because they do depending on the application.

Best Regards,

(Last edited by davidc502 on 19 Jun 2015, 18:42)

gufus wrote:
northbound wrote:

This is probably a stupid question. Why does winscp quit downloading from a usb drive at 477 meg? It does not matter if it is a dir of small files or a large file. I know there is a 2 or 4 gig limitation on a single file but I am not close to that. Using kmod-fs-ntfs
I have searched but can not find an answer.
Thanks.

It's WinSCP, It does the same thing here too. Win Explorer and xplorer² work fine.

Thank you for verifying and the info.

JW0914 wrote:
northbound wrote:

This is probably a stupid question. Why does winscp quit downloading from a usb drive at 477 meg? It does not matter if it is a dir of small files or a large file. I know there is a 2 or 4 gig limitation on a single file but I am not close to that. Using kmod-fs-ntfs
I have searched but can not find an answer.
Thanks.

I've never used winscp, so I can't provide insight into your issue, but I can offer an alternative to try.

I prefer PuTTY and contained within is a program called pscp that is done via the command line.

The basic command to pull a file from the router would be:

pscp -scp -P 22 root@192.168.1.1:/tmp/File.txt C:\Path\To\File.txt

And to push a file to the router, simply transpose locations:

pscp -scp -P 22 C:\Path\To\File.txt root@192.168.1.1:/tmp/File.txt

You can also do the same Pull/Push via an encryption key:

pscp -r -i C:\Path\To\Encryption\Key.ppk -2 -scp -P 22 root@192.168.1.1:/etc/openvpn/keys C:\Putty\OpenVPN

-r is for recursive
-i is to use the encryption key
-2 is to specify ssh2
-scp is self explanatory
-P is for the port #

pscp /? will also provide all available command switches

PuTTY Download
Select "A Windows installer for everything except PuTTYtel"

In order to use PSCP, you either need to open a command prompt in [or navigate a prompt to] the PuTTY installation folder.  However, I find it more convenient to simply add the PuTTY install path to the Environment Path Variable (System - Advanced System Settings - Environment Variables - System [or User] Variables - Path)

Thank you for your time and info.

JW0914 wrote:
Chadster766 wrote:

Has any headway happened on the one major issue #20?
https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi/issues/20

I've never experienced the issue, so unfortunately I'm not sure.

If you want to test this issue, start with any OpenWRT, enable wireless encryption and follow 4 simple steps.

Hey Guys ,
Just back from a UART Reset , Slapped on Chadsters , so far very stable and im happy with Performance ,
do you know of any way you can controll the fanspeed on Chadster ?

Thanks smile

After updating to RC2 build, wifi performance is terrible compared to chadsters AA build. 5ghz doesnt even get recognized from my xbox console upstairs, as before i was getting 44 mbps speed. Now on 2.4 ghz i get 14.5 mbps. Terrible! Any ways to boost the signal? Or is Kaoz release better

Kaloz wrote:

You can do that, sure. I'll probably update my own images during the weekend and let you know here. Than it can be tested easily smile

Excellent; I'll just wait for that then smile.

Now I know it is a putty problem guess I will try a newer build than .64 it bombed also at 488 meg of 750 meg

richbhanover wrote:
JW0914 wrote:
Claibourne wrote:

One other potential power of bossting power to your transmitter: It does allow the receivers (in your laptops, tablets, phones, etc) to hear the signal even if they're far away.

But the law of physics work in both directions. Your laptop also has to send its signal *back to the router*. Since there's no corresponding boost of the laptop transmitter, its signal may not be strong enough when it reaches the router. (There are stunts that happen with MIMO and other sexy technologies to extend the range, but they all will run into this fundamental law of physics - each receiver needs to be able to hear the other transmitter.)

However, high gain antennas can help here. An antenna has "high gain" because a) it sends its electrical energy more efficiently into the airwaves, and b) because it "collects" more of the signal from the airwaves to create an electrical signal to go to the receiver. The extreme examples of this are the Pringles cantenna's, or using a discarded satellite dish for long-range wifi. (The googles is your friend.)

Using a high gain antenna can help your router to hear your laptop "better", thus giving you better range.

Thanks, I forgot to mention the other end of the equation.  Another good example of richbhanover's point is MU-MIMO... MU-MIMO routers exist, but there's not a single consumer client device that's MU-MIMO on the market, thereby rending the technology, at least until MU-MIMO clients get release this year, useless.  Another example is the 160mHz band width, available under WiFi options, as the chipset doesnt, at least currently, support it.

Whereas with laptops and PCs its quite easy to upgrade your WiFi card, that's not the case with smartphones (and possibly tablets if they're using an integrated card vs a mini-pcie.

davidc502 wrote:

I'm not sure of how much improvement you're going to get by buying so called "high gain" antenna. The stock antenna are already optimized at 100% wavelength with a optimized dispersion pattern. The best thing one can do to increase range is to add height to the antenna (or get walls out of the way). Many so called high gain antenna, just add height, and hence increase range by design.

There are some omni antennas that do a better job of dispersing the radiation pattern and radiation angle, but I'm not sure how much 'gain' one would expect for antenna that could be used for many different purposes.

Supposedly, the Linksys 1900 has "Beamform" technology that allows the antenna to direct RF energy into a direction -- If this is true, then that's going to be 'gain' over a regular omnidirection antenna. Without knowing the details of how this works, it just sounds like a sales "Gimmick".

Wasn't going to say this, but as a FCC license holder, with antenna experience, I'm skeptical. Not to say, 3rd party high gain antennas don't work because they do depending on the application.

Best Regards,

Very good points =] I wasn't mentioning it necessarily for the WRT1900, as it's antennas are top notch compared to any other router I've come across out of the box.  I tried the Netgear R7000 and the R8000, and it's a night day difference in design when the WRT1900's antennas are compared to them or any other router... They're simply far better built.

Vanav wrote:
JW0914 wrote:
Chadster766 wrote:

Has any headway happened on the one major issue #20?
https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi/issues/20

I've never experienced the issue, so unfortunately I'm not sure.

If you want to test this issue, start with any OpenWRT, enable wireless encryption and follow 4 simple steps.

I have and I've never had the issue, nor can I replicate it.  I utilize both frequencies as the Harmony Ultimate Home and Canon MF8380 can only utilize 2.4, while every other device I have can utilize 5.

I have to start from scratch every from Trunk every time there's a kernel update, and I've never had the issue.  This goes back to a post I made yesterday or the day before that it seems as though some of this issues are client related.... Not to be construed as me saying it's user error, but possibly some incompatibility of sorts between the clients and the router/OpenWRT and/or specific configurations.  The only way to narrow down what exactly is causing the issue is for each and every user who experiences it to file an extremely detailed bug report, as I've seen the same types of issues getting re-reported every so often since I started following this thread at page 100.

northbound wrote:

Now I know it is a putty problem guess I will try a newer build than .64 it bombed also at 488 meg of 750 meg

Interesting... Did Google turn up anything when you were looking into a solution?  It seems as though it might be an issue with the scp protocol itself.  Has anyone ever transferred a file larger than 488MB utilizing scp?

This sort of reminds me of an issue that plagues dism on Windows 8/8.1/10, where if capturing an image in WinPE/RE the /scratchdir switch must be set, otherwise it fails due WinPE/RE setting a 32MB scratch directory by default.  Perhaps there's something similar for scp?  Perhaps it could be ntfs on linux is causing an issue with scp?  I have minimal experience with scp, as I only utilize it transfer keys and whatnot between the router and other PCs. For everything else, I simply created a Samba share to drag and drop between the two.

rich123321 wrote:

After updating to RC2 build, wifi performance is terrible compared to chadsters AA build. 5ghz doesnt even get recognized from my xbox console upstairs, as before i was getting 44 mbps speed. Now on 2.4 ghz i get 14.5 mbps. Terrible! Any ways to boost the signal? Or is Kaoz release better

Out of curiosity, what channel are using for 5gHz?  It works optimally set to something in the 150's, and I know 157 has always worked the best for me in two different locations on two entirely different routers.  The reason I ask is 44mbps is extraordinarily low for a 5gHz N or AC signal (it's G speeds), however finding the channel that works best for you is trial and error, but it should always be in the 100's. 

It helps to set the 5gHz to N or AC only, never legacy.  2.4 and 5 networks should never be not set to the same bandwidth frequency (20, 40, 80 mHz), and there's little reason for the 2.4 to be set above 20, with 5 set to 40 or 80.

You may also want to download and run wireshark, as WiFi works best when it's not competing in the same spectrum as other routers (much as a 2.4 gHz cordless will sound strange when you run the microwave, as they both operate in the 2.4gHz spectrum, as do many other household items).  WireShark will allow you to see all named SSIDs around you and the channel they're running on. 

It would also help, if you haven't already done so, if you stationed your router as close as possible to the center of the house... especially if you have more than one floor.  I'd also give boosting the dB of your 5gHz channel, and you'll know the sweet spot when your connected strength on the XB1 is at least 4 bars, preferably 5.  For me, I found it extraordinarily frustrating to play TitanFall while PC was also downloading/uploading files, and installing QOS, with the XB1 as #3 (Harmony Ultimate Home was 1 & 2) and set to express (priority is for small packets, not larger ones)

(Last edited by JW0914 on 19 Jun 2015, 22:40)

arik.nachmias wrote:

Hey Guys ,
Just back from a UART Reset , Slapped on Chadsters , so far very stable and im happy with Performance ,
do you know of any way you can controll the fanspeed on Chadster ?

Thanks smile

If I recall right there was an extremely long conversation about this that spanned several pages somewhere after the 200 page mark.  Give search a try and use language from the fan script as a search term.  That should allow you to find an applicable post fairly fast; Once found, go to the post and back track a few pages to find the beginning of the conversation.

JW0914 wrote:
northbound wrote:

Interesting... Did Google turn up anything when you were looking into a solution?  It seems as though it might be an issue with the scp protocol itself.  Has anyone ever transferred a file larger than 488MB utilizing scp?

This sort of reminds me of an issue that plagues dism on Windows 8/8.1/10, where if capturing an image in WinPE/RE the /scratchdir switch must be set, otherwise it fails due WinPE/RE setting a 32MB scratch directory by default.  Perhaps there's something similar for scp?  Perhaps it could be ntfs on linux is causing an issue with scp?  I have minimal experience with scp, as I only utilize it transfer keys and whatnot between the router and other PCs. For everything else, I simply created a Samba share to drag and drop between the two.

From what I have found is I should be able to transfer a 4 gig file. This is what I get when running a ulimit -a in putty.

root@OpenWrt:~# ulimit -a
-f: file size (blocks)             unlimited
-t: cpu time (seconds)             unlimited
-d: data seg size (kb)             unlimited
-s: stack size (kb)                8192
-c: core file size (blocks)        0
-m: resident set size (kb)         unlimited
-l: locked memory (kb)             64
-p: processes                      1992
-n: file descriptors               1024
-v: address space (kb)             unlimited
-w: locks                          unlimited
-e: scheduling priority            0
-r: real-time priority             0

Guess I will format my flash drive to something besides ntfs and try that for the heck of it.

Has anyone else experienced a file size limit of 488MB when using scp, as NorthBound has?

northbound wrote:
JW0914 wrote:
northbound wrote:

From what I have found is I should be able to transfer a 4 gig file. This is what I get when running a ulimit -a in putty.

Guess I will format my flash drive to something besides ntfs and try that for the heck of it.

What about using rsync (Rsync is also available for Windows as well)? Though I'm not sure if it offers an encrypted tunnel option (EDIT: Just checked, it does).  Depending on your application, a Samba share might work well for you, as then you wouldn't have to worry about cross-platform and could simply save to the Samba share, then either rsync, cp, or mv on OpenWRT, or robocopy or Rsync on Windows.

(Last edited by JW0914 on 20 Jun 2015, 01:07)

northbound wrote:
JW0914 wrote:
northbound wrote:

I can transfer a 503MB file successfully and without issue at 5.596MB/s... I transferred to my USB3 data partition (formated ext4), which might be an indication it's ntfs related.  Linux and ntfs have never played well together.

Out of curiousity, why did you choose ntfs?  If it was to remain compatible with Win PCs, Paragon offers a free application called ExtFS that automounts ext partitions when connected.

(Last edited by JW0914 on 20 Jun 2015, 01:19)

JW0914 wrote:
northbound wrote:
JW0914 wrote:

What about using rsync (Rsync is also available for Windows as well)? Though I'm not sure if it offers an encrypted tunnel option (EDIT: Just checked, it does).  Depending on your application, a Samba share might work well for you, as then you wouldn't have to worry about cross-platform and could simply save to the Samba share, then either rsync, cp, or mv on OpenWRT, or robocopy or Rsync on Windows.

Mainly the transfer would wlan or vpn. And I have tried to get samba to work on win 10. With no success it is most likely a screw up on my part I see the share on windows as openwrt but can not access the shares that are there, even setting sambapasswd. I like the winscp gui and it should be able to do what I want. If I can get it working right. This has been an ongoing trial. I am new to linix and the openwrt software. But am learning. Tested ext4 way slow uploaded file  from win to the drive, download was fine but the same brick wall at 488 meg?

I do read what I can find on wiki. It just seems strange that it bombs consistently at that point. At least I know it is not file system related.

northbound wrote:

Mainly the transfer would wlan or vpn. And I have tried to get samba to work on win 10. With no success it is most likely a screw up on my part I see the share on windows as openwrt but can not access the shares that are there, even setting sambapasswd. I like the winscp gui and it should be able to do what I want. If I can get it working right. This has been an ongoing trial. I am new to linix and the openwrt software. But am learning. Tested ext4 way slow uploaded file  from win to the drive, download was fine but the same brick wall at 488 meg?

I do read what I can find on wiki. It just seems strange that it bombs consistently at that point. At least I know it is not file system related.

With Win 8.1 (so probably 10), I've only been able to get Samba to work via creating a Samba user [must be a different user name than Windows login], setting the Samba password via smbpasswd, setting the allowed users to only your Samba user name (leaving read only and allow guests unticked), then restart Samba.  Once you restart Samba, add the folder share in Windows and log in with the Samba username and password.

For example, in /etc/samba/smb.conf, my share (with some info changed) is:

[NameOfShare]
        path = /Path/To/Share
        valid users = SambaUserName
        read only = no
        guest ok = no
        create mask = 0700
        directory mask = 0700
        browseable = yes

and /etc/config/samba:

config samba
        option homes            '1'
        option workgroup        'WORKGROUP'
        option name             'OpenWRT'
        option description      'USB3'

config sambashare
        option name             'NameOfShare'
        option path             '/Path/Of/Share
        option users            'SambaUserName'
        option read_only        'no'
        option guest_ok         'no'
        option public           'no'
        option browseable       'yes'
        option create_mask      '0700'
        option dir_mask         '0700'

If that still doesn't allow you access, create a new Samba share as a test, and allow guests (no username/pass required to access), with chmod permissions set to 777 (Create Mask, Directory Mask).  That should allow you access... if it doesn't and you didn't customize the template, the issue is probably not with Samba.

This may be a dumb question, but have you checked your firewall? Samba uses 137 - 139 (udp) and 139 (tcp) for NetBIOS, and 445 (tcp) for smb.

I can transfer a 503MB file successfully and without issue at 5.596MB/s... I transferred to my USB3 data partition (formated ext4), which might be an indication it's ntfs related.  Linux and ntfs have never played well together.

Out of curiousity, why did you choose ntfs?  If it was to remain compatible with Win PCs, Paragon offers a free application called ExtFS that automounts ext partitions when connected.

EDIT
With port 445, you need to be extremely careful when firewalling it and you should set a default drop or block rule on your PC for 445.  Then, as needed, add a rule above it for the specific application you need it for and/or restrict it to your home network.  445 is one of the most commonly exploited ports, but it's vital to the smb protocol.

(Last edited by JW0914 on 20 Jun 2015, 01:55)

Also, what currently happens when you go to access one of the shares you can see under OpenWRT?

davidc502 wrote:

Best Regards,

High gain antennas help the signal in both directions (transmit & receive), whereas transmit power only helps transmit. In addition, high transmit powers put more strain on your wireless chips since they run hotter. It's just not that helpful in the real world, but high gain antennas really do make a difference. It's not an optimization of the wavelength, rather it is the design that allows it to collect more signal. Directional antennas can also help in certain applications by focusing the signal in the direction needed.

I highly doubt beamforming works with any open source drivers. These are all proprietary technologies.