OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Update on Linksys WRT1900AC support

The content of this topic has been archived between 16 Sep 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

davidc502 wrote:
srd wrote:
leitec wrote:

Trunk is definitely not guaranteed to work on any given day. They are doing a lot of work now that CC is branched. Given the change to a new default C library and some security settings they're now enabling it's not a good idea to run trunk on a "production" device.

I think the majority of people are not reporting what they see as most don't run production and have no worries about doing a reboot. I have two friends that also run this router and we all experience problems of some sort. With all due respect to all the on-going work, this is the most unstable router we've ever run. At the very least a reboot is somewheres in the future. Trunk is seemingly more unstable as of late.

We can say that about the stock Linksys firmware, that likes to lock up, requiring a reboot, as well.

Just to add some additional info to help troubleshoot. 

I have been watching this thread for many months.  I haven't yet loaded openwrt because I don’t have a USB console cable and this is my only router for the household.   

Anyway, to the point. I have been on stock/factory upgrades since purchasing the router and have all my clients using a separate DHCP and DNS server.  i.e. not using the router for those functions.  I just recently started watching uptime on the router and have had a streak of 32 days.  At that 32 day mark, the reboot was because ISP issues(not router) and required a restart to satisfy their troubleshooting. 

Clients include:
various Windows
1 Mac
4 iphones
1 ipad
various Android
Samsung TV
Samsung Wireless Printer
Sony Bluray player

Only reason for commenting is to point out a similarity in the offloading of DNS service to another device seems to have fixed a couple folks here.

davidc502 wrote:
srd wrote:
leitec wrote:

Trunk is definitely not guaranteed to work on any given day. They are doing a lot of work now that CC is branched. Given the change to a new default C library and some security settings they're now enabling it's not a good idea to run trunk on a "production" device.

I think the majority of people are not reporting what they see as most don't run production and have no worries about doing a reboot. I have two friends that also run this router and we all experience problems of some sort. With all due respect to all the on-going work, this is the most unstable router we've ever run. At the very least a reboot is somewheres in the future. Trunk is seemingly more unstable as of late.

We can say that about the stock Linksys firmware, that likes to lock up, requiring a reboot, as well.

I know I've had issues I haven't reported, mainly due to not knowing whether it's attributed to customizations I've done over the past days or on the day of the issue.  With no way to verify whether it's an issue I caused, or an issue with the firmware, I've always thought it would do more harm than good by reporting a possible issue I caused as an issue with the firmware.

coffeecat wrote:
leitec wrote:

No, it should work. Your examples have two untagged VLANs going to the same CPU port (6). At least one needs to be tagged, and a corresponding eth1.X interface must be created. I don't know how to do it in LuCI, but the config file would look something like:

config interface 'wan3'
    option ifname 'eth1.3'
    option proto 'dhcp'

and so forth, assuming you tag VLAN 3 on port 6 but not VLAN 2. VLAN 2 would continue to appear untagged on eth1.

It works!  Thank you very much!

It cannot be done in LuCI because the eth1.3 shows as eth0.3 inLuCI, but it can be set under console.

Here is my /etc/config/network file (Dual wan settings for wrt1900ac openwrt):

What's the purpose of utilizing two WAN inputs into the router... a failsafe?

(Last edited by JW0914 on 28 Jun 2015, 16:34)

kirkgbr wrote:

I have been watching this thread for many months.  I haven't yet loaded openwrt because I don’t have a USB console cable and this is my only router for the household.

If the USB to TTL cable is the hangup, you can find them online shipping from the US for $15 - $25, while from China ~ $3 - $5.  Whenever you do decide to purchase one, make sure its  3.3v cable, not a 5v (utilizing a 5v cable on a header that's 3.3v will more than likely fry components).  Also, the WRT1900ac Wiki is worth a read prior to buying it, as you'll need 2.0mm pitch pins. 

You could either buy the cable with 2.0mm pitch pins, or buy the 2.0mm pitch pins separately (the pins are a few cents each, and you could probably buy them from whomever you buy the cable from).  You have two choices if you buy the cable without a plastic header, either using it just with the bare pins, or buying a plastic header that's 1x6 (1 pin wide by 6 pins long).  It's not a necessity to have a USB to TTL cable, but is a good failsafe. 

More likely than not, as long as you flash OpenWRT over LAN (make sure you've turned off wifi on you PC to prevent an auto connection), you won't have any issues.

This is the one I bought --  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QT7 … ge_o00_s00

If you look at the first 2 reviews they specifically refer to the Linksys 1900ac LOL  >> This seems to be a "must have" for OpenWrt users :)_

I haven't had to use mine yet as all flashes have gone well > knock on wood.

(Last edited by davidc502 on 28 Jun 2015, 17:07)

JW0914 wrote:
kirkgbr wrote:

If the USB to TTL cable is the hangup, you can find them online shipping from the US for $15 - $25, while from China ~ $3 - $5.  Whenever you do decide to purchase one, make sure its  3.3v cable, not a 5v (utilizing a 5v cable on a header that's 3.3v will more than likely fry components).  Also, the WRT1900ac Wiki is worth a read prior to buying it, as you'll need 2.0mm pitch pins.

Thanks JW, my amazon order is on its way.  smile

(Last edited by kirkgbr on 28 Jun 2015, 17:23)

davidc502 wrote:

This is the one I bought --  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QT7 … ge_o00_s00

If you look at the first 2 reviews they specifically refer to the Linksys 1900ac LOL  >> This seems to be a "must have" for OpenWrt users :)_

I haven't had to use mine yet as all flashes have gone well > knock on wood.

@davidc502 - Exactly the one I ordered.  Thanks

piphone wrote:

hi@experts :-)
i am looking for a solution:
i have running polipo on my wrt1900ac, but sometimes polipo crashes without errormessage and without removing it's pid and all my clients have no internet.
i need a loop something like that:
look with "ps | grep polipo"; if polipo is running, wait 3 min, if not: remove polipo.pid and start polipo
can somebody help me?
cu
p.

#!/bin/bash

for ((;;))
do
  sleep 180
  if [ $(ps | grep polipo | grep -v grep | wc -l) -eq 0 ]
  then
    rm -f polipo.pid
    /etc/init.d/polipo start
  fi
done

Fill in your own path of where polipo.pid is and how to start polipo if it's not started using the method above.

I put the sleep before the process check because if you start it when the router starts it's not certain that polipo has been started yet and you risk starting it twice.

// Stefan

(Last edited by stesmi on 28 Jun 2015, 18:31)

kirkgbr wrote:
JW0914 wrote:
kirkgbr wrote:

Thanks JW, my amazon order is on its way.  smile

No problem at all... the nice thing about USB - TTL cables is you can use it on anything with a serial header (provided it's the right voltage cable).  If you have other routers, or buy newer routers in the future, you'll be able to use it on them as well.  There's thousands of devices that a USB-TTL cable is compatible with.

Well, trunk after branching isn't for the faint-hearted.. You shouldn't have issues flashing between CC images without going to the factory image first, but trunk to CC or the other way around might cause issues. When it will stabilize a bit, you can be sure I'll announce some images here wink

@ // Stefan
thank you :-)
cu
p.

Kaloz wrote:

Well, trunk after branching isn't for the faint-hearted.. You shouldn't have issues flashing between CC images without going to the factory image first, but trunk to CC or the other way around might cause issues. When it will stabilize a bit, you can be sure I'll announce some images here wink

Thanks for the update kaloz. smile

Anyone know which retail stores have the v2 cobra?

jmschu02 wrote:

If it's been RTM'd, Linksys should provide information on it's product page where it can be purchased from.

JW0914 wrote:
coffeecat wrote:
leitec wrote:

No, it should work. Your examples have two untagged VLANs going to the same CPU port (6). At least one needs to be tagged, and a corresponding eth1.X interface must be created. I don't know how to do it in LuCI, but the config file would look something like:

config interface 'wan3'
    option ifname 'eth1.3'
    option proto 'dhcp'

and so forth, assuming you tag VLAN 3 on port 6 but not VLAN 2. VLAN 2 would continue to appear untagged on eth1.

It works!  Thank you very much!

It cannot be done in LuCI because the eth1.3 shows as eth0.3 inLuCI, but it can be set under console.

Here is my /etc/config/network file (Dual wan settings for wrt1900ac openwrt):

What's the purpose of utilizing two WAN inputs into the router... a failsafe?

My network of ISP1 is not friendly with data flow going abroad while ISP2 is not good enought at civil websites...
My ISP1 drops 39%~49% packages to apple.com while ISP2 has more latency to kingsoft.com...

JW0914 wrote:
jmschu02 wrote:

If it's been RTM'd, Linksys should provide information on it's product page where it can be purchased from.

Router manufacturers almost never say anything about new versions of a product. You are sometimes lucky when you can even tell the difference without opening the retail packaging. In some cases you can't even tell by looking at the product itself.

Some quick Google-fu reveals the following ways to distinguish v1 from v2, and indeed it is subtle and not explicitly noted by Linksys.

https://community.linksys.com/t5/Wirele … d-p/940588

(Last edited by drawz on 29 Jun 2015, 01:51)

drawz wrote:
JW0914 wrote:
jmschu02 wrote:

Router manufacturers almost never say anything about new versions of a product. You are sometimes lucky when you can even tell the difference without opening the retail packaging. In some cases you can't even tell by looking at the product itself.

Some quick Google-fu reveals the following ways to distinguish v1 from v2, and indeed it is subtle and not explicitly noted by Linksys.

They have the same capabilities, and the same performance, so really the thing to hope for is better driver performance. Unless I'm missing something?

Before someone points out the possibility of having more RAM.. The v1 unit's don't half the RAM available, so adding more does nothing for performance unless it also have a faster data-rate.

(Last edited by davidc502 on 29 Jun 2015, 02:22)

davidc502 wrote:

They have the same capabilities, and the same performance, so really the thing to hope for is better driver performance. Unless I'm missing something?

Before someone points out the possibility of having more RAM.. The v1 unit's don't half the RAM available, so adding more does nothing for performance unless it also have a faster data-rate.

V2 should run cooler due to a newer manufacturing process and as a result does not require a cooling fan. The CPU is a teensy bit faster too (1.3GHz vs 1.2GHz).

drawz wrote:
JW0914 wrote:
jmschu02 wrote:

Router manufacturers probably don't advertise a newer version of a product for the same reason Microsoft and Sony always refuse to release specs to the newer versions of Xbox 1 and PS4... they undercut themselves and lose millions if they do, as any common sense person will wait for the newer version.

That being said, it's fairly easy to tell the difference in versions if you read the box or research what the serial numbers mean. Serial numbers, for example, contain a lot of information about the specific product, when it was made, where it was made, the revision number of the product, etc... only a very small portion of the serial number relates to the individual product itself [much as VIN numbers do on cars].

What kernel version is Kaloz's build on?

drawz wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

V2 should run cooler due to a newer manufacturing process and as a result does not require a cooling fan. The CPU is a teensy bit faster too (1.3GHz vs 1.2GHz).

What is anyone going to get out of 200mhz? The router doesn't even begin to utilize what it has now. As for cooler.. what should be said is that the new CPU will run cooler under load. The current processor doesn't need a fan, until it's loaded pretty hard. Under normal use, the fan never comes on anyway.

I guess my point is, there isn't any reason to buy version 2 over version 1 unless, it's more stable. If we find that the router is more stable, then it might be worth going after. But then again, the stability problems for v1 are getting better, so this may all be a mute point anyway.

(Last edited by davidc502 on 29 Jun 2015, 03:11)

davidc502 wrote:
drawz wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

What is anyone going to get out of 200mhz? The router doesn't even begin to utilize what it has now. As for cooler.. what should be said is that the new CPU will run cooler under load. The current processor doesn't need a fan, until it's loaded pretty hard. Under normal use, the fan never comes on anyway.

I guess my point is, there isn't any reason to buy version 2 over version 1 unless, it's more stable. If we find that the router is more stable, then it might be worth going after. But then again, the stability problems for v1 are getting better, so this may all be a mute point anyway.

NAT in OpenWRT on the 1900AC is CPU limited at the moment, so anything at all that you run on the router slows your NAT down - relevant to your internet speed? Maybe? Maybe not? It could be relevant for others however so stating that there's no reason to buy a faster, better version of a router isn't nice to those that could run into issues already.

Want to run some OpenVPN together with NAT on a gigabit internet-line? Yeah, you're already CPU bound on so many planes there it's not even funny. Encryption takes a fair chunk of CPU and so does NAT. Hopefully NAT can be solved using hardware acceleration in the future.

I don't buy a router based on exactly what I need to use right now and nothing faster, nor do I buy one based on some kind of average use on my router, I buy it based on that it should be able to be good enough to handle any peaks with ease and give me some headroom in case I do more in the future, but maybe that's just me.

// Stefan

EDIT: I bought the WRT1900AC because it does what I need it to do and gives me headroom for the future. I can already get an internet line that bogs the router down but I have no plans on upgrading to it, if I do in the future I'll solve that roadblock when I get there.

(Last edited by stesmi on 29 Jun 2015, 03:36)

What througput are people getting with the Linksys 1900AC in a gigabit environment behind NAT?

I've done some google searches but nothings come up.

A few days ago, maybe a week, someone wrote they benchmarked it at 550Mbit/s I believe through the NAT, and that the CPU was flat out then.

Let's see if I can't find the quote.

// Stefan

I have a way of testing gigabit behind NAT on the 1900ac. If I have time tomorrow, I'll do some testing and see what happens.