OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Update on Linksys WRT1900AC support

The content of this topic has been archived between 16 Sep 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Ok, found it and no it wasn't that new - it was simply that I had seen it while reading older posts. This post is from 31st of march this year.

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 29#p270729

nitroshift wrote:

@Kaloz
NAT speed improved quite a bit in rc5, from 300Mbps in previous releases to over 550 Mbps. Same config.
nitroshift

EDIT: rc5 in this context is when he switched to kernel 4.0-rc5 which enabled NAT over multiple CPU cores.

// Stefan

(Last edited by stesmi on 29 Jun 2015, 05:06)

JW0914 wrote:

What kernel version is Kaloz's build on?

ARM OpenWrt Linux-3.18.11

@stesmi & davidc502

Pure NAT gives me speeds around 900 Mbps. I am still getting 550 Mbps when using PPPoE (which is the protocol required by my ISP). That's why I ended up getting an Edgerouter Lite and have set it up to handle the PPPoE connection, because it offloads the PPPoE traffic to a dedicated engine. Now I am seeing speeds close to the 900 Mbps mark behind the WRT too.

nitroshift

PS. I am still testing with latest kernels, but my builds won't be available online in the foreseeable future until issues are ironed out with the wireless driver. For example, right now I am running kernel 4.0.6 on both my WRT's and I'm playing with 4.1 final which breaks the switch driver...

(Last edited by nitroshift on 29 Jun 2015, 05:10)

Is anyone running a version of Trunk from the past 3 - 5 days?  If so, anyone else experiencing major problems with the 5gHz radio?

@nitroshift

Thanx for chiming in, can you confirm that you're on high CPU load while doing pure NAT? I mean of course when you're doing 900Mbps smile

And regarding the switch driver - is it a kernel change prompting the breakage or a change in the driver itself?

// Stefan

(Last edited by stesmi on 29 Jun 2015, 05:11)

@stesmi

CPU is flat out at 900 Mbps traffic. As for the switch driver, there are quite a few changes between kernel 4.0 and 4.1 as you can see here: https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kerne … p;id2=v4.0

nitroshift

(Last edited by nitroshift on 29 Jun 2015, 05:16)

Not the switch driver, the Ethernet driver. IIRC there's a flag that's not getting set when using fixed-phy mode.

stesmi wrote:

Ok, found it and no it wasn't that new - it was simply that I had seen it while reading older posts. This post is from 31st of march this year.

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 29#p270729

nitroshift wrote:

@Kaloz
NAT speed improved quite a bit in rc5, from 300Mbps in previous releases to over 550 Mbps. Same config.
nitroshift

EDIT: rc5 in this context is when he switched to kernel 4.0-rc5 which enabled NAT over multiple CPU cores.

// Stefan

That was enabled right around the same time, but RC5 also changed parameters in the Armada XP cpuidle driver.

I can confirm 900mbps routing speed, but only for IPv4. PPPoE, IPv6 or even IPv4 traffic over tagged VLAN traffic will be around 550-600mbps.

leitec wrote:

Not the switch driver, the Ethernet driver. IIRC there's a flag that's not getting set when using fixed-phy mode.

Do you happen to have a patch for that?

nitroshift

Hi guys. Can someone help me with a problem I have been having?

i am running the OpenWrt Chaos Calmer 15.05-rc2 version with Kernel version 3.18.14

Internet range and speed is great. The only problem I have is CONSTANT internet connection drops. My xbox will always have short periods of lag then get disconnected, only to be able to reconnect shortly after. My PC's will hang loading a website only to give me internet errors, but all I need to do is disconnect and reconnect to the wifi network. Same thing with my iPhones. The only thing I can think of is that I set the transmit power on both radios to 1000 mW and this could be stressing out the CPU causing it to crash? I dont know. Someone please help! Thanks!

rich123321 wrote:

i am running the OpenWrt Chaos Calmer 15.05-rc2 version with Kernel version 3.18.14

Internet range and speed is great. The only problem I have is CONSTANT internet connection drops. My xbox will always have short periods of lag then get disconnected, only to be able to reconnect shortly after. My PC's will hang loading a website only to give me internet errors, but all I need to do is disconnect and reconnect to the wifi network. Same thing with my iPhones. The only thing I can think of is that I set the transmit power on both radios to 1000 mW and this could be stressing out the CPU causing it to crash? I dont know. Someone please help! Thanks!

This may be due to the iphones, so let's try something that might fix this problem.

Edit the /etc/dnsmasq.conf  and add the following line >   dhcp-option=6,8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4

/etc/init.d/dnsmasq restart

Reboot the router. < not required after dnsmasq restart, but to start fresh.

Now all the devices get google dns instead of asking the router to resolve host names to IP. You don't have to use google, but it's a good place to start. If this fixes the problem, and don't want to continue using google, then just replace 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 with the NS servers of your choice.

(Last edited by davidc502 on 29 Jun 2015, 15:38)

JW0914 wrote:

Is anyone running a version of Trunk from the past 3 - 5 days?  If so, anyone else experiencing major problems with the 5gHz radio?

I am running last Fridays build and have no issues with the  5gHz other than it seems to take a little longer to come up. But when it is up it is fine.

nitroshift wrote:
leitec wrote:

Do you happen to have a patch for that?

nitroshift

Not a correct one, but I do have a "make it work for now" patch. I forgot you also have to disable DSA, so in a way there is something wrong with the upstream switch driver (it's enabled when it shouldn't be for OpenWrt)

I haven't touched 4.1 in a while. Both patches are here: http://staticky.com/wrt1900ac-testing/4.1/

davidc502 wrote:
rich123321 wrote:

This may be due to the iphones, so let's try something that might fix this problem.

Edit the /etc/dnsmasq.conf  and add the following line >   dhcp-option=6,8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4

Now all the devices get google dns instead of asking the router to resolve host names to IP. You don't have to use google, but it's a good place to start. If this fixes the problem, and don't want to continue using google, then just replace 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 with the NS servers of your choice.

Gonna be honest, I dont know how to edit the conf files. Do i SSH into the router and use a built in ssh app's text edit feature? Or is this something I can do using Luci

rich123321 wrote:

Gonna be honest, I dont know how to edit the conf files. Do i SSH into the router and use a built in ssh app's text edit feature? Or is this something I can do using Luci

In Luci

Network - Interfaces - Hit the Edit button on Lan
Scroll down to the DHCP Server section.  Hit the Advanced Tab
Under "DHCP Options" enter 6,8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4
Then hit save & apply. 

Computers will have to refresh their DHCP settings I believe to get the new DNS servers.  That should happen automatically.

davidc502 wrote:
rich123321 wrote:

Scratch that. I figured it out using winscp. So as for editing files, add

dhcp-option=6,8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4

to dnsmasq conf in the etc folder at the bottom below the # lines. What about the other file in init.d where you say "restart". Can you clarify?Also what would the iPhones have to do with it? THanks!

rich123321 wrote:
davidc502 wrote:
rich123321 wrote:

Scratch that. I figured it out using winscp. So as for editing files, add

dhcp-option=6,8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4

to dnsmasq conf in the etc folder at the bottom below the # lines. What about the other file in init.d where you say "restart". Can you clarify?Also what would the iPhones have to do with it? THanks!

just ssh to the router and paste the command in and hit enter >  /etc/init.d/dnsmasq restart

Then in luci you can just reboot, or in command line type reboot and hit enter.

Yeah, no problems adding the dhcp-option to the last line of the config file using scp -- that will work.

After reboot, make sure all of your devices are now pointed to google.

(Last edited by davidc502 on 29 Jun 2015, 18:50)

northbound wrote:
JW0914 wrote:

I am running last Fridays build and have no issues with the  5gHz other than it seems to take a little longer to come up. But when it is up it is fine.

What do I need to do/look for/look at to figure out why I'm experiencing issues and troubleshoot the problem?

Issues:

• 5gHz network rarely displays on Windows, even though it's a saved network selected to auto connect. While the SSID is hidden, so is the 2.4gHz SSID, which always displays as it's supposed to (also hidden, also a saved network, not set to auto connect).  If I manually attempt to connect, it may or may not connect, and if it does, it generally kicks me out after a few minutes (no issue with 2.4gHz network though) Currently, as of the last half hour, the 5gHz network is showing the way it should.

• Impossible to connect to 5gHz network on my NX6, even though it's also a saved network.  If I attempt to manually connect, connect isn't even displayed, indicating the network is out of a range or a poor connection (which it's neither); and while occassionally I am able to get the 5gHz network to display via refresh, once I select connect, it states: connecting --> obtaining IP address --> saved (indicating a poor connection, network out of range).  I am able to connect to the 2.4gHz network without issue, and I can connect to another router's 5gHz network, ruling out the NX6.

• On the NX6, if I disable the poor connection wifi watchdog, I receive: WiFi Connection Error

• If I attempt to connect to the 5gHz network on my NX6, it prevents me from accessing the 2.4gHz network unless I turn WiFi off, then on again.

• I began to experience these issues about a week ago, after flashing the sysupgrade of trunk on 6/20 for k.v. 3.18.16. Believing the cause of this to be something I caused, I've flashed and reflashed several times, culminating last night with flashing stock firmware 3x to ensure the backup was re-written (verified 5gHz worked w/o issue), flashed Kaloz's build, realized it was only k.v. 3.18.11, flashed stock 3x more, then flashed trunk, and still the had the same issues (although I can now connect on my PC, it's by no means a stable connection).

It appears the 5gHz network has no WAN or LAN access

5gHz network is set to:

AC 157 80mHz
0dB
(although have tried 15, 20, 25, 27, and 30dB)
Distance Optimization: 50m
WPA2 AES

(Last edited by JW0914 on 29 Jun 2015, 19:49)

I don't know if this is helpful, but I can't connect any of my fireTV boxes to wifi after making a wifi change.. example being changing the channel or width. If I'm going to make a change, I have to reboot after that change, and then all of my devices connect without issue.

@JW0914
I know this is no help what is needed is a option to wipe the nvram or is that nand. I have noticed that at least 1 thing is left even after multiple flashes and that is /var/syscfg/syscfg/syscfg.dat. The linksys info. I wonder if it is a leftover getting you? Since the original software works but not openwrt even different builds.
Just a thought.

(Last edited by northbound on 29 Jun 2015, 20:14)

northbound wrote:

@JW0914
I know this is no help what is needed is a option to wipe the nvram or is that nand. I have noticed that at least 1 thing is left even after multiple flashes and that is /var/syscfg/syscfg/syscfg.dat. The linksys info. I wonder if it is a leftover getting you? Since the original software works but not openwrt even different builds.
Just a thought.

Is there a way to wipe the nvram/nand flash?  ...or is that why you said it's no help lol

JW0914 wrote:
northbound wrote:

@JW0914
Just a thought.

Is there a way to wipe the nvram/nand flash?  ...or is that why you said it's no help lol

The second one.:-)
I don't know of any way to do it. It would be helpful if running nand you had an option to wipe altnand.
Maybe something that the OpenWrt coders could do it does not seem like it would be that hard but then I'm no coder.:-)

northbound wrote:
JW0914 wrote:
northbound wrote:

@JW0914
Just a thought.

The second one.:-)
I don't know of any way to do it. It would be helpful if running nand you had an option to wipe altnand.
Maybe something that the OpenWrt coders could do it does not seem like it would be that hard but then I'm no coder.:-)

what about from uboot?

doesnt wiping /overlay have the same affect?

alirz wrote:

doesnt wiping /overlay have the same affect?

I'm not sure... although I would assume flashing stock would automatically delete all files in overlay (though I could very well be wrong, as I'm not knowledgeable about the internal partition layouts and what gets erased and what does not).