OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Update on Linksys WRT1900AC support

The content of this topic has been archived between 16 Sep 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

JW0914 wrote:

... also, the timing is sporadic.  All ping requests to the router (in a home environment a tleast) should return in <1ms, and my pings are coming back at 2ms.  Not a huge difference, but indicative of an issue somewhere.

Me thinks that you are chasing a phantom!

Going from 1ms to 2ms is indicative of nothing.

Rick S

This post has been edited to be less of an ass on my part.

No disrespect to JW0914

Rick

(Last edited by RickStep on 2 Jul 2015, 03:48)

davidc502 wrote:
rich123321 wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

This may be due to the iphones, so let's try something that might fix this problem.

Edit the /etc/dnsmasq.conf  and add the following line >   dhcp-option=6,8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4

/etc/init.d/dnsmasq restart

Reboot the router. < not required after dnsmasq restart, but to start fresh.

Now all the devices get google dns instead of asking the router to resolve host names to IP. You don't have to use google, but it's a good place to start. If this fixes the problem, and don't want to continue using google, then just replace 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 with the NS servers of your choice.

Scratch that. I figured it out using winscp. So as for editing files, add

dhcp-option=6,8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4

to dnsmasq conf in the etc folder at the bottom below the # lines. What about the other file in init.d where you say "restart". Can you clarify?Also what would the iPhones have to do with it? THanks!

just ssh to the router and paste the command in and hit enter >  /etc/init.d/dnsmasq restart

Then in luci you can just reboot, or in command line type reboot and hit enter.

Yeah, no problems adding the dhcp-option to the last line of the config file using scp -- that will work.

After reboot, make sure all of your devices are now pointed to google.

Ok so i did all of that but I am still experience both 2.5 and 5ghz disconnects from the router. What do you think i should do?

rich123321 wrote:
davidc502 wrote:
rich123321 wrote:

Scratch that. I figured it out using winscp. So as for editing files, add

dhcp-option=6,8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4

to dnsmasq conf in the etc folder at the bottom below the # lines. What about the other file in init.d where you say "restart". Can you clarify?Also what would the iPhones have to do with it? THanks!

just ssh to the router and paste the command in and hit enter >  /etc/init.d/dnsmasq restart

Then in luci you can just reboot, or in command line type reboot and hit enter.

Yeah, no problems adding the dhcp-option to the last line of the config file using scp -- that will work.

After reboot, make sure all of your devices are now pointed to google.

Ok so i did all of that but I am still experience both 2.5 and 5ghz disconnects from the router. What do you think i should do?

Let's check to make sure everything is okay so far.

1.  It's been verified all devices are now using the new DNS NS IP addresses? Please check the configuration changes are working as expected.
2.  Time to change the routers DNS to Google as well. Make the change in Luci. Go to Network > Interfaces > WAN > Advanced > Use custom DNS Servers. Really, changing this shouldn't have anything to do with anything, but just in case because I have this change.

Reboot, and let's try again.

I had what sounds like the same problem, and this fixed that problem. However, it's beginning to sound like yours is something different.

Also, please copy system logs from Luci. It should contain some details about the wireless devices disconnecting.

(Last edited by davidc502 on 1 Jul 2015, 02:10)

@Chadster766
In your fan control flow diagram why is the absolute temperature being calculated to find the difference between the previous and current temperatures? We only want to know if the temperature has risen and there is a chance it might of rapidly cooled since the last poll of the temperatures which would make it kick in the 30 second full fan speed again.

davidc502 wrote:
rich123321 wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

just ssh to the router and paste the command in and hit enter >  /etc/init.d/dnsmasq restart

Then in luci you can just reboot, or in command line type reboot and hit enter.

Yeah, no problems adding the dhcp-option to the last line of the config file using scp -- that will work.

After reboot, make sure all of your devices are now pointed to google.

Ok so i did all of that but I am still experience both 2.5 and 5ghz disconnects from the router. What do you think i should do?

Let's check to make sure everything is okay so far.

1.  It's been verified all devices are now using the new DNS NS IP addresses? Please check the configuration changes are working as expected.
2.  Time to change the routers DNS to Google as well. Make the change in Luci. Go to Network > Interfaces > WAN > Advanced > Use custom DNS Servers. Really, changing this shouldn't have anything to do with anything, but just in case because I have this change.

Reboot, and let's try again.

I had what sounds like the same problem, and this fixed that problem. However, it's beginning to sound like yours is something different.

Also, please copy system logs from Luci. It should contain some details about the wireless devices disconnecting.

Ok here is my current system log and I sent the changes to the router as well
http://pastebin.com/dLNB2vGC

cptn_brittish wrote:

@Chadster766
In your fan control flow diagram why is the absolute temperature being calculated to find the difference between the previous and current temperatures? We only want to know if the temperature has risen and there is a chance it might of rapidly cooled since the last poll of the temperatures which would make it kick in the 30 second full fan speed again.

Perhaps you meant @RickStep

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=280811#p280811

The flowchart was developed from my testing here:

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=278532#p278532

and here:

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=278648#p278648

@RickStep

. . .

As a result the maximum temperature reached was 69.1°C. At that temperature the fan started.
At 65.5 C the fan stopped.

Through the next 5 increase/decrease temp. cycles; the cut in temp ranged from 69.1°C to 68.6°C.
The cut out temp between 65.5°C and 65.0°C. As time progressed the cut in/cut out began to drop. In all cases the cut in/cut out differential was 3.6°C.

The temp. increase was 0.1°C about every 20 seconds.
The temp decrease was 0.1°C about every 4 seconds.

. . .

and from a Chadster766 post here:

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=279456#p279456

Chadster766 wrote:

Did anyone notice the change in load in the Top log before failure? #Edit: @quagga did smile

5 minutes before failure:
Load average: 0.07 0.04 0.05 1/52 5728

Just before failure:
Load average: 5.93 2.46 0.96 3/54 5743

After the failure occurred the LEDs were frozen.

I monitored the temperature sensors right after reboot tried to immediately continue to load the WRT1900AC 5Ghz signal. I was not able to get the load up that high again but one of the temps and I'm sorry I can't remember exactly which one but I think it was CPU rose very quickly at almost a degree a second from 55 to 68 degrees.

I believe the solution is to have the a program (not script because we need faster reaction time) to monitor load and that ramps the fan from 0 to 100% accordingly. With fan at 100% when load is 1.50 which should be 75% CPU usage on a Dual Core system. I suggest pole time  greater than 250ms and less than or equal to .5s


The flowchart is simply an attempt to take into account what can happen in the real world.

I had set normal temperature polling at 20 seconds.

As loads increase so will the temperature somewhere in the hardware.  But as the temperature rises the current drawn by the device will increase because of the increase in temperature.

Simply there are two (2) causes for an increase in temperature; load and temperature itself.  If the temperature rise is not stopped; the temperature WILL avalanche rapidly. Most modern devices have built in thermometers used to halt the device before the device fails. In old devices the chip would be fried permanently.

The flowchart was created as an "art of the possible"; a 20 second monitor with a gradual increase in fan speed and some 5 second secondary loops to monitor and rapidly cool the offending device.

The main object was to prevent the WRT1900AC from dropping connections IF under sustained heavy loads temperature was in fact the cause.  The fan control should likely also have some data collection so that it could be dumped and analyzed.

I don't think that anyone here knows for certain why load averages suddenly go up or why, when or if the temperature is going to spike or whether any of the above really matters.

The temperature differentials could be completely removed and the normal temperature monitoring set to 5 seconds (or any other suitable value). But, there would need to be monitoring of the DDR & WIFI and the highest of the 3 temperatures would need to set the fan speed. Then there is still the issue of rapid escalation of a load average; there being 3 of them.

There are so many issues at play here as to why the WRT1900AC "crashes".  If fan control software can keep the router running instead of crashing; perhaps more data will show up in someone's logs that will result in a permanent fix and the "fancy" fan control won't be needed.

Rick.

RickStep wrote:
JW0914 wrote:

... also, the timing is sporadic.  All ping requests to the router (in a home environment a tleast) should return in <1ms, and my pings are coming back at 2ms.  Not a huge difference, but indicative of an issue somewhere.

Me thinks that you are chasing a phantom!

I'm in Hamilton, ON, Canada and Internet access to Toronto and Chicago is 13ms.

You are worried about a change from 1ms to 2ms.

1. How many decimal places does this go out to.
2. IF only to a whole number; 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4: is 1 and 1.5, 1.6, 1.7, 1.8, 1.9 becomes 2.
3. Simply 1.4 could vary to 1.6 and register from 1 - 2.

What astounds me is that over a home network that you are chasing phantoms in milliseconds; 1 - 2 when there are more serious issues here.  WHO CARES.

This thread has people chasing whether they can get 300MBs vs. 550MBs vs. 900MBs; WHO cares about the numbers IF THE DATA CAN'T EVER BE USED (PROCESSED) THAT FAST.

Can this board get to some speed realities relative to an HD movie at 5MBs time 10 household members + to 50MBs and worrying if the maximum download can actually approach 1GBs.

Why are we chasing CRAP!

This younger generation of ours is going a MILE A MINUTE on the highways; at grocery checkouts; at the BEER store; in the parking lot; BECAUSE 1 - 2ms (a difference of 0.001 seconds) really, really, really, really MATTERS.

IF the computer is doing a security scan; scheduled a download; etc.; 1ms is an absolute garbage number!

EDIT 1: corrected spelling minute.

I think you misunderstood my post and simply glanced at it, not reading it...

You're talking about WAN pinging (i.e. pinging a website)... My post was about specific issues with the 5ghz radio and pinging the LAN address of the router.

In a home environment, all pings to your router's LAN address should return in under 1ms (this is due to a number of factors, most important of which being the length electrons have to travel are <50' @ 2.993km/ms).  This isn't about performance, and I could personally care less... this is about major issues I've been experiencing with the 5gHz radio.  When a ping to the LAN of the router takes at least 3x longer than normal, COUPLED with the 5gHz radio issues and packet loss at and above 50%, it is indicative of a problem where all are related.

EDIT
Please confine your ranting to other sites, or create your own thread to rant in... not only is it rude and unbecoming, it's simply a waste of everyone's time. (This isn't the first time you've ranted in this thread, and if it happens a third time, I'll simply report your post and ask for it to be deleted.)

(Last edited by JW0914 on 1 Jul 2015, 15:16)

rich123321 wrote:
davidc502 wrote:
rich123321 wrote:

Ok so i did all of that but I am still experience both 2.5 and 5ghz disconnects from the router. What do you think i should do?

Let's check to make sure everything is okay so far.

1.  It's been verified all devices are now using the new DNS NS IP addresses? Please check the configuration changes are working as expected.
2.  Time to change the routers DNS to Google as well. Make the change in Luci. Go to Network > Interfaces > WAN > Advanced > Use custom DNS Servers. Really, changing this shouldn't have anything to do with anything, but just in case because I have this change.

Reboot, and let's try again.

I had what sounds like the same problem, and this fixed that problem. However, it's beginning to sound like yours is something different.

Also, please copy system logs from Luci. It should contain some details about the wireless devices disconnecting.

Ok here is my current system log and I sent the changes to the router as well
http://pastebin.com/dLNB2vGC

Is your ISP on ipv6? Or still IPv4?

davidc502 wrote:
rich123321 wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

Let's check to make sure everything is okay so far.

1.  It's been verified all devices are now using the new DNS NS IP addresses? Please check the configuration changes are working as expected.
2.  Time to change the routers DNS to Google as well. Make the change in Luci. Go to Network > Interfaces > WAN > Advanced > Use custom DNS Servers. Really, changing this shouldn't have anything to do with anything, but just in case because I have this change.

Reboot, and let's try again.

I had what sounds like the same problem, and this fixed that problem. However, it's beginning to sound like yours is something different.

Also, please copy system logs from Luci. It should contain some details about the wireless devices disconnecting.

Ok here is my current system log and I sent the changes to the router as well
http://pastebin.com/dLNB2vGC

Is your ISP on ipv6? Or still IPv4?

I am not sure honestly I use xfinity. I want to say ipv6 but some clients use ipv4. Like I see both  types of IP's when managing the router and going around in the settings. I hope this answers your question
http://prntscr.com/7nkmdb

(Last edited by rich123321 on 1 Jul 2015, 18:46)

rich123321 wrote:
davidc502 wrote:
rich123321 wrote:

Ok here is my current system log and I sent the changes to the router as well
http://pastebin.com/dLNB2vGC

Is your ISP on ipv6? Or still IPv4?

I am not sure honestly I use xfinity. I want to say ipv6 but some clients use ipv4. Like I see both  types of IP's when managing the router and going around in the settings. I hope this answers your question
http://prntscr.com/7nkmdb

If the problem still persists (wifi disconnects), would you have any objections to trying my configuration? It's purely IPv4. After importing the configuration, you would need to rename the Wifi SSID's and passwords to that of your liking.

The reason being, since I'm not having those issues, this might be a step closer to a fix for you. We would need to discuss some of the details before you tried to import my export.

My thoughts are, if it worked, you could then tweak the settings to your liking and then back it up.

Let me know what you think.

davidc502 wrote:
rich123321 wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

Is your ISP on ipv6? Or still IPv4?

I am not sure honestly I use xfinity. I want to say ipv6 but some clients use ipv4. Like I see both  types of IP's when managing the router and going around in the settings. I hope this answers your question
http://prntscr.com/7nkmdb

If the problem still persists (wifi disconnects), would you have any objections to trying my configuration? It's purely IPv4. After importing the configuration, you would need to rename the Wifi SSID's and passwords to that of your liking.

The reason being, since I'm not having those issues, this might be a step closer to a fix for you. We would need to discuss some of the details before you tried to import my export.

My thoughts are, if it worked, you could then tweak the settings to your liking and then back it up.

Let me know what you think.

Yeah man let's do it! Just let me know which things to change and I will let you know how everything is running

rich123321 wrote:
davidc502 wrote:
rich123321 wrote:

Ok here is my current system log and I sent the changes to the router as well
http://pastebin.com/dLNB2vGC

Is your ISP on ipv6? Or still IPv4?

I am not sure honestly I use xfinity. I want to say ipv6 but some clients use ipv4. Like I see both  types of IP's when managing the router and going around in the settings. I hope this answers your question
http://prntscr.com/7nkmdb

Unless Comcast provides ISP service in other countries, I'm 99% positive it doesn't provide IPv6 support to consumer accounts in the U.S. (I could very well be wrong, however, as of current, only 3% of ISPs offer IPv6 service (which will rise to 10% by end of year), and normally if one does offer it, it's only to their business customers; there was one ISP I came across a few years back that did offer IPv6, but it was a feature you had to call in and have added to the account).

Your router shows an IPv6 address because you have IPv6 enabled.  You can utilize IPv6 over IPv4 via 6to4, however IPv6 isn't standard yet. By the end of 2015, almost all, if not all, available IP addresses will be exhausted, which is prompting the dramatic rise in ISP IPv6 service this year.

(Last edited by JW0914 on 1 Jul 2015, 19:44)

rich123321 wrote:
davidc502 wrote:
rich123321 wrote:

I am not sure honestly I use xfinity. I want to say ipv6 but some clients use ipv4. Like I see both  types of IP's when managing the router and going around in the settings. I hope this answers your question
http://prntscr.com/7nkmdb

If the problem still persists (wifi disconnects), would you have any objections to trying my configuration? It's purely IPv4. After importing the configuration, you would need to rename the Wifi SSID's and passwords to that of your liking.

The reason being, since I'm not having those issues, this might be a step closer to a fix for you. We would need to discuss some of the details before you tried to import my export.

My thoughts are, if it worked, you could then tweak the settings to your liking and then back it up.

Let me know what you think.

Yeah man let's do it! Just let me know which things to change and I will let you know how everything is running

At lunch right now (at work), but will be back at home around 4:30pm Central time. Will do a backup, and start thinking about the details.

More to follow.

Comcast does actually provide IPv6 to their clients.  I was using that for some time until we moved into Cox territory who will apparently give us IPv6 "some day". 

Comcast should actually push you out I believe a /64 which OpenWRT's odhcp can then assign statefully or statelessly through ra (it should just work).  However, I'm not presently on Comcast to confirm that (however that is how it used to work).

quagga wrote:

Comcast does actually provide IPv6 to their clients.  I was using that for some time until we moved into Cox territory who will apparently give us IPv6 "some day". 

Comcast should actually push you out I believe a /64 which OpenWRT's odhcp can then assign statefully or statelessly through ra (it should just work).  However, I'm not presently on Comcast to confirm that (however that is how it used to work).

I was wrong then, my bad =]  Thanks for letting me know

rich123321 wrote:
davidc502 wrote:
rich123321 wrote:

I am not sure honestly I use xfinity. I want to say ipv6 but some clients use ipv4. Like I see both  types of IP's when managing the router and going around in the settings. I hope this answers your question
http://prntscr.com/7nkmdb

If the problem still persists (wifi disconnects), would you have any objections to trying my configuration? It's purely IPv4. After importing the configuration, you would need to rename the Wifi SSID's and passwords to that of your liking.

The reason being, since I'm not having those issues, this might be a step closer to a fix for you. We would need to discuss some of the details before you tried to import my export.

My thoughts are, if it worked, you could then tweak the settings to your liking and then back it up.

Let me know what you think.

Yeah man let's do it! Just let me know which things to change and I will let you know how everything is running

I created a backup, but before I did, changed the password and the wifi SSID's and Passwords to what you want them to be.

When you respond back, I'll post a link to the backup, and will list the password. When you RESTORE, log in, go ahead and change the password right away. The 2nd thing you want to do is to change your Wifi SSID's and Passwords..

From there you should be rocking and rolling smile

**EDIT** I don't know if you have any special firewall rules, but the Firewall is configured to drop everything (Except ISP DHCP) from the outside, but change it as you see fit. Be sure to back up your current configuration in case something doesn't work like expected.

(Last edited by davidc502 on 2 Jul 2015, 01:37)

As long as your packages are coming in from the RC2 repository, there is no worry about the packages going out of date. You can update to the next RC or the final release when that comes out.

edit: what I mean is that if you went from a trunk build to a RC or stable release and kept all settings, your opkg.conf might be pointing to the trunk snapshots repository. You can get a fresh one by copying it from /rom:

cp /rom/etc/opkg.conf /etc/opkg.conf
opkg update
opkg install <whatever>

If you first installed RC2 or didn't keep settings when flashing, you should be fine.

(Last edited by leitec on 2 Jul 2015, 02:56)

leitec wrote:

As long as your packages are coming in from the RC2 repository, there is no worry about the packages going out of date. You can update to the next RC or the final release when that comes out.

edit: what I mean is that if you went from a trunk build to a RC or stable release and kept all settings, your opkg.conf might be pointing to the trunk snapshots repository. You can get a fresh one by copying it from /rom:

cp /rom/etc/opkg.conf /etc/opkg.conf
opkg update
opkg install <whatever>

If you first installed RC2 or didn't keep settings when flashing, you should be fine.

I think I may have left out a step then, so I just wanted to clarify...

If I flash the RC2 build, and the package repositories are pointing to the RC2 repository, I can install kernel mods (kmod-usb-storage-extras, kmod-fs-ext4, etc.) without receiving dependency errors?

I only ask because I installed the RC2 build a couple of days back, updated via "opkg update", and tried installing those pkgs and others and received nothing but dependency errors.

EDIT
Yup... I'm an idiot lol I didn't verify the links in opkg.conf were pointing to the RC build [they were still pointed to trunk].

(Last edited by JW0914 on 2 Jul 2015, 03:16)

Yeah, that seems to work for me. I just flashed a clean copy of the RC2 build and successfully installed a few kmod packages without issue. The modules load as expected and the kernel version matches.

JW0914 wrote:
RickStep wrote:
JW0914 wrote:

... also, the timing is sporadic.  All ping requests to the router (in a home environment a tleast) should return in <1ms, and my pings are coming back at 2ms.  Not a huge difference, but indicative of an issue somewhere.

Me thinks that you are chasing a phantom!

I'm in Hamilton, ON, Canada and Internet access to Toronto and Chicago is 13ms.

You are worried about a change from 1ms to 2ms.

1. How many decimal places does this go out to.
2. IF only to a whole number; 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4: is 1 and 1.5, 1.6, 1.7, 1.8, 1.9 becomes 2.
3. Simply 1.4 could vary to 1.6 and register from 1 - 2.

What astounds me is that over a home network that you are chasing phantoms in milliseconds; 1 - 2 when there are more serious issues here.  WHO CARES.

This thread has people chasing whether they can get 300MBs vs. 550MBs vs. 900MBs; WHO cares about the numbers IF THE DATA CAN'T EVER BE USED (PROCESSED) THAT FAST.

Can this board get to some speed realities relative to an HD movie at 5MBs time 10 household members + to 50MBs and worrying if the maximum download can actually approach 1GBs.

Why are we chasing CRAP!

This younger generation of ours is going a MILE A MINUTE on the highways; at grocery checkouts; at the BEER store; in the parking lot; BECAUSE 1 - 2ms (a difference of 0.001 seconds) really, really, really, really MATTERS.

IF the computer is doing a security scan; scheduled a download; etc.; 1ms is an absolute garbage number!

EDIT 1: corrected spelling minute.

I think you misunderstood my post and simply glanced at it, not reading it...

You're talking about WAN pinging (i.e. pinging a website)... My post was about specific issues with the 5ghz radio and pinging the LAN address of the router.

In a home environment, all pings to your router's LAN address should return in under 1ms (this is due to a number of factors, most important of which being the length electrons have to travel are <50' @ 2.993km/ms).  This isn't about performance, and I could personally care less... this is about major issues I've been experiencing with the 5gHz radio.  When a ping to the LAN of the router takes at least 3x longer than normal, COUPLED with the 5gHz radio issues and packet loss at and above 50%, it is indicative of a problem where all are related.

EDIT
Please confine your ranting to other sites, or create your own thread to rant in... not only is it rude and unbecoming, it's simply a waste of everyone's time. (This isn't the first time you've ranted in this thread, and if it happens a third time, I'll simply report your post and ask for it to be deleted.)

I've edited my post to:

RickStep wrote:
JW0914 wrote:

... also, the timing is sporadic.  All ping requests to the router (in a home environment a tleast) should return in <1ms, and my pings are coming back at 2ms.  Not a huge difference, but indicative of an issue somewhere.

Me thinks that you are chasing a phantom!

Going from 1ms to 2ms is indicative of nothing.

Rick S

This post has been edited to be less of an ass on my part.

No disrespect to JW0914

Rick

Perlaps I was a little over the top.

I do, however, stand by the 2ms is a phantom.

I have edited my original post to clear up any confusion.

Let me start here.  This household has:

1 - D-Link DNS-323 NAS box running RAID 1 with 2 1TB drives Wired
1 - D-Link DNS-323 NAS box running RAID 1 with 2 2 TB drives Wired
1 - D-Link DNS-343 NAS box running RAID 5 with 4 1TB drives Wired
1 - D-Link DNS-343 NAS box running Raid 5 with 4 2 TB drives Wired
1 - D-Link DNS-345 NAS box running Raid 5 with 4 2 TB drives. Wired
2 - HP dc7900 desktops on 1 GB Ethernet (Windows 7 Pro) Wired
1 - Sony BluRay player 100 MB LAN (Netflix) Wired
1 - Samsung Smart TV UN46C6800UF with 100 MB LAN (NETFLIX) Wired
1 - Dell 3010cn Colour Laser printer 100 MB LAN Wired
1 - HP dc7900 desktop on a D-Link DWA-160 v2 wireless USB adapter running 802.11n 5GHz (Windows 8.1 Pro)
1 - Surface Pro 3 - 802.11n 5GHz (Windows 8.1 Home)
1 - Dell Inspiron 15 (5000 series) - 802.11n 5GHz (Windows 8.1 Home)
1 - Dell HP Pavillion 15-n232nr - 802.11 n 2.4GHz (windows 8.1 Home)
1 - ACER 7250-BZ600 802.11n 2.4GHz (Windows 7 Home)
1 - HP Pavilion dm1-4123c 802.11n 5GHz (Windows 7 Home)
1 - Dell Studio 1735 802.11g 2.4GHz (Windows XP)
2 - Blackberry Z10 5GHz
1 - Blackberry z30 5GHz
1 - Blackberry Q5 5GHz
3 - Android Smart phones (1 Samsung & 2 Google (LG phones) 5GHz
1 - Apple iPad mini 2, 802.11n 5GHz

All wired devices when I tested pinged at 1ms with an average over 4 pings at 0ms.

When I tested the new 5GHz laptop devices; of the 4 tests under Windows 7 Pro; 3 mostly (3 out of 4) came in at 1ms but the 4th came in at 2ms and a small number at 3ms. As far as I know I am the only one in my neighbiurhood using 5GHz. There are, however a number of 5GHz cordless phones around here. Our old 2007 cordless phones utilized the the 5GHz band and were replaced earlier this year with Dect 6.0 phones which utilize the 1.9GHz band. There are about 30 2.4GHz users around here (10 - 12 at any given time; students & Starbucks) and the 2.4GHz band is crap.

My earlier point and my point now is that going from 1ms to 2ms on a wireless band tells us absoulutely nothing because we don't know what interference may be lurking in the air; unless all of your devices are wired.

Interestingly enough, pinging to my Z30 gave the following, 57ms, 167ms, 193ms & 219ms.
Second set 92ms, 257ms, 128ms & 255ms.
An iPad mini 41ms, 166ms, 192ms & 220ms. The BB & iPad mini 2 connect to the WRT1900AC

The best ping times are on a 7 year old HP desktop with Windows 7 using a D-Link wireless DWA-160 v2 USB adapter on 802.11n 5GHz.
1ms, 1ms, 2ms. 1ms or 1ms, 1ms, 1ms, 3ms; etc.

The laptops weren't quite as good. It may have been the location in the house. I never tried to re-locate the laptops to see if there were better numbers.

Rick S

(Last edited by RickStep on 2 Jul 2015, 04:04)

RickStep wrote:

I've edited my post to:

RickStep wrote:
JW0914 wrote:

... also, the timing is sporadic.  All ping requests to the router (in a home environment a tleast) should return in <1ms, and my pings are coming back at 2ms.  Not a huge difference, but indicative of an issue somewhere.

Me thinks that you are chasing a phantom!

Going from 1ms to 2ms is indicative of nothing.

Rick S

This post has been edited to be less of an ass on my part.

No disrespect to JW0914

Rick

Perlaps I was a little over the top.

I do, however, stand by the 2ms is a phantom.

I have edited my original post to clear up any confusion.

Thank you.

I have since downgraded from Trunk to the RC2 build once @leitec pointed out the obvious that the opkg.conf was pointing to trunk and not RC2 repositories, thereby solving the 5gHz radio issues.

I understand your point about the 1ms, as on it's own, it literally doesn't matter (I could personally care less about an extra ms, as it's impossible for a human to even tell the difference of 1ms).  I had been having numerous issues with the 5gHz radio and the 1ms difference was the last symptom I discovered (going off prior pings to the router LAN, all of which always return in <1ms); it was immediately preceded by 50% packet loss and other issues.

davidc502 wrote:
rich123321 wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

If the problem still persists (wifi disconnects), would you have any objections to trying my configuration? It's purely IPv4. After importing the configuration, you would need to rename the Wifi SSID's and passwords to that of your liking.

The reason being, since I'm not having those issues, this might be a step closer to a fix for you. We would need to discuss some of the details before you tried to import my export.

My thoughts are, if it worked, you could then tweak the settings to your liking and then back it up.

Let me know what you think.

Yeah man let's do it! Just let me know which things to change and I will let you know how everything is running

I created a backup, but before I did, changed the password and the wifi SSID's and Passwords to what you want them to be.

When you respond back, I'll post a link to the backup, and will list the password. When you RESTORE, log in, go ahead and change the password right away. The 2nd thing you want to do is to change your Wifi SSID's and Passwords..

From there you should be rocking and rolling smile

**EDIT** I don't know if you have any special firewall rules, but the Firewall is configured to drop everything (Except ISP DHCP) from the outside, but change it as you see fit. Be sure to back up your current configuration in case something doesn't work like expected.

Ok I am ready to go

rich123321 wrote:
davidc502 wrote:
rich123321 wrote:

Yeah man let's do it! Just let me know which things to change and I will let you know how everything is running

I created a backup, but before I did, changed the password and the wifi SSID's and Passwords to what you want them to be.

When you respond back, I'll post a link to the backup, and will list the password. When you RESTORE, log in, go ahead and change the password right away. The 2nd thing you want to do is to change your Wifi SSID's and Passwords..

From there you should be rocking and rolling smile

**EDIT** I don't know if you have any special firewall rules, but the Firewall is configured to drop everything (Except ISP DHCP) from the outside, but change it as you see fit. Be sure to back up your current configuration in case something doesn't work like expected.

Ok I am ready to go

Link to backup > *** EDIT ***
Password is *** EDIT ****

Once it's downloaded respond back, and I'll delete the link and the password.

(Last edited by davidc502 on 2 Jul 2015, 05:53)

davidc502 wrote:
rich123321 wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

I created a backup, but before I did, changed the password and the wifi SSID's and Passwords to what you want them to be.

When you respond back, I'll post a link to the backup, and will list the password. When you RESTORE, log in, go ahead and change the password right away. The 2nd thing you want to do is to change your Wifi SSID's and Passwords..

From there you should be rocking and rolling smile

**EDIT** I don't know if you have any special firewall rules, but the Firewall is configured to drop everything (Except ISP DHCP) from the outside, but change it as you see fit. Be sure to back up your current configuration in case something doesn't work like expected.

Ok I am ready to go

Link to backup > http://personalpages.tds.net/~davidc502/Backup/backup-OpenWrt-2015-07-01.tar.gz

Password is letmein1 

Once it's downloaded respond back, and I'll delete the link and the password.

Ok done I wil install it now

davidc502 wrote:
rich123321 wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

I created a backup, but before I did, changed the password and the wifi SSID's and Passwords to what you want them to be.

When you respond back, I'll post a link to the backup, and will list the password. When you RESTORE, log in, go ahead and change the password right away. The 2nd thing you want to do is to change your Wifi SSID's and Passwords..

From there you should be rocking and rolling smile

**EDIT** I don't know if you have any special firewall rules, but the Firewall is configured to drop everything (Except ISP DHCP) from the outside, but change it as you see fit. Be sure to back up your current configuration in case something doesn't work like expected.

Ok I am ready to go

Link to backup > *** EDIT ***
Password is *** EDIT ****

Once it's downloaded respond back, and I'll delete the link and the password.

That's weird. I have your tar file and I select the 53kb file (i backed up my settings too) and hit upload but its like my router is just rebooting. Same SSID same login info etc. What the hell is wrong with my router? Its like it doesnt want to accept the backup so it just reboots instead of using the config