OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Update on Linksys WRT1900AC support

The content of this topic has been archived between 16 Sep 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

rich123321 wrote:
davidc502 wrote:
rich123321 wrote:

Ok I am ready to go

Link to backup > *** EDIT ***
Password is *** EDIT ****

Once it's downloaded respond back, and I'll delete the link and the password.

That's weird. I have your tar file and I select the 53kb file (i backed up my settings too) and hit upload but its like my router is just rebooting. Same SSID same login info etc. What the hell is wrong with my router? Its like it doesnt want to accept the backup so it just reboots instead of using the config

davidc502 wrote:
rich123321 wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

Link to backup > *** EDIT ***
Password is *** EDIT ****

Once it's downloaded respond back, and I'll delete the link and the password.

That's weird. I have your tar file and I select the 53kb file (i backed up my settings too) and hit upload but its like my router is just rebooting. Same SSID same login info etc. What the hell is wrong with my router? Its like it doesnt want to accept the backup so it just reboots instead of using the config

No idea on that one. I assumed it should take without issue. A head scratcher for sure.

You are on RC2?

(Last edited by davidc502 on 2 Jul 2015, 04:03)

davidc502 wrote:
davidc502 wrote:
rich123321 wrote:

No idea on that one. I assumed it should take without issue. A head scratcher for sure.

You are on RC2?

Yes
OpenWrt Chaos Calmer 15.05-rc2 / LuCI Master (git-15.146.54948-a497fba)

Do you think disabling ipv6 on my router would help? If so, what is the procedure to do so? Thanks so much!

I've posted this a few times, so hoping someone might be able to provide a bit of insight.  I've set up strict firewall rules between my NAS VPN server and the rest of my lan via iptables and inter-zone forwarding allowances for my private vpn... however this is the output of /etc/init.d/firewall restart:

Rule 'Allow Forwarded VPN0 (AlienFractals-WiFi)'
     ! Skipping due to different family of ip address
   * Rule 'Allow Forwarded VPN0 (NX6-WiFi)'
   * Rule 'Block All Inbound Traffic from VPN1'
   * Rule 'Block All Forwarded Traffic from VPN1'
   * Rule 'Block All Other Traffic from VPN1'
     ! Skipping due to different family of zone
   * Rule 'Block All Other Traffic to VPN1'
   * Forward 'lan' -> 'vpn'
   * Forward 'lan' -> 'wan'
   * Forward 'vpn' -> 'lan'

After reading about masquerading, I thought that might be the issue, so I enabled it for both VPN servers with the same result.  My main problem is my firewall rules restricting the NAS VPN server to only the NAS and nothing else aren't being applied, allowing unfettered access to the LAN from the NAS VPN.

EDIT
Please disregard... I'm an idiot lol I've obviously been missing the obvious: "* Populating IPv6 filter table"  Seeming that I've completely disabled IPv6, that would explain the errors .  Well... at least it's not looking for my "lost" water bottle for 10 minutes when it was 6" from where I was sitting lol

(Last edited by JW0914 on 2 Jul 2015, 04:32)

rich123321 wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

You are on RC2?

Yes

Do you think disabling ipv6 on my router would help? If so, what is the procedure to do so? Thanks so much!

It's possible that (ipv6) could be part of the problem. If disabled, isn't going to hurt anything because Comcast is dual stack, and will accept both ipv4 or ipv6.

We are running the same exact version of OpenWrt. It seems the restore isn't taking because I've probably updated something that isn't compatible with your base instance. I'm thinking it might be snmpd packages that aren't on your system.

If you want to try again.. SSH to your router and enter these two commands.. Just copy and paste and hit enter.

cp /rom/etc/opkg.conf /etc/opkg.conf

opkg update

You can do the rest in the Gui >  Go to System > Software > and in the package filter type in snmpd and click "Find Package".  click install snmpd from the list. Just remember, you can't follow this step until you done the two commands above.

From there, you can try to upload the configuration again. If you don't want to try, I understand, but thought to throw it out there just in case disabling ipv6 doesn't work.

Best Regards,

davidc502 wrote:
rich123321 wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

You are on RC2?

Yes

It's possible that (ipv6) could be part of the problem. If disabled, isn't going to hurt anything because Comcast is dual stack, and will accept both ipv4 or ipv6.

We are running the same exact version of OpenWrt. It seems the restore isn't taking because I've probably updated something that isn't compatible with your base instance. I'm thinking it might be snmpd packages that aren't on your system.

If you want to try again.. SSH to your router and enter these two commands.. Just copy and paste and hit enter.

opkg update

You can do the rest in the Gui >  Go to System > Software > and in the package filter type in snmpd and click "Find Package".  click install snmpd from the list. Just remember, you can't follow this step until you done the two commands above.

From there, you can try to upload the configuration again. If you don't want to try, I understand, but thought to throw it out there just in case disabling ipv6 doesn't work.

Best Regards,

Thanks. I'm going to be using the internet for some stuff soon so I will do the package update and what not tomorrow. For now though, how do I disable ipv6? I am sure its an easy process

I just pulled the trigger on a WRT1900AC on eBay and just wanted to ask what is the most stable firmware to run on this router?  Stock or OpenWRT? I know it sounds like there has been a lot of progress lately with this firmware, but at this time I need stability over features.  Just wanted to check in and say keep up the good work!

In my opinion, the stock firmware is still a little more stable. However, it's still prone to locking up from time to time. OpenWrt rc2, is just about as stable, but there are multiple factors involved to get to that point. It's taken me a few weeks to ask questions, and learn about the software to be able to tune it, where I feel I'm just about as stable as stock. However, my job deals with Linux and IP networks, so it's, sort of, up my alley to begin with. If you don't feel comfortable with linux or networking, it might feel like a daunting task to get it where you need it to be.

Here is a good read about 3 different types of open-source firmware(Tomato, DD-Wrt, and OpenWrt). Keep in mind DD-Wrt and Tomato are not currently offering supported firmware for the wrt1900ac (They claim they will soon). However, it's good to learn that there are different types that suit different needs.

http://vpnpick.com/dd-wrt-vs-tomato-vs-open-wrt/

Good luck

rich123321 wrote:
davidc502 wrote:
rich123321 wrote:

Yes

opkg update

Best Regards,

Thanks. I'm going to be using the internet for some stuff soon so I will do the package update and what not tomorrow. For now though, how do I disable ipv6? I am sure its an easy process

Disabling ipv6 is kind of all over the place (from what I remember). When I get home this evening, I'll look through the interface, and see what I can pick out as important to shut off.

This is a bit of a side-tracked commend, but I wish I could re-organize the web front end. There's a lot of logical mis-matching going on where some things you find here, and other related things you find there...  Really, it's a waste to even talk about it because it's not like I have the time to work with it. If you think about it, it's 'subjective' as there are probably going to be people who love the lay-out smile

Best Regards,

(Last edited by davidc502 on 2 Jul 2015, 19:38)

Guys can someone help! I flashed back to the 1.18 image STOCK FW but whwnever i try to go to the router setup webpage it keeps redirecting me to 192.168.1.1/cgi-bin/luci and wont let me change settings!

rich123321 wrote:

Guys can someone help! I flashed back to the 1.18 image STOCK FW but whwnever i try to go to the router setup webpage it keeps redirecting me to 192.168.1.1/cgi-bin/luci and wont let me change settings!

Clear your browser cache

hit Ctrl+Shift+Delete to clear cache..

If that does't work, you could try reverting to the Secondary flash. Instructions should be followed as closely as possible.

Copied from the Wiki ----

Manually switch the WRT1900ac from a trashed flash to the secondary [backup] flash:

Reset the router by holding the reset button in until the PWR light starts to flash {should take about 15 seconds}
        Once Power LED stops flashing, power off the router with the power switch
    Turn the power back on and the Power LED will light.
        As soon as any other LED turns on, power off the router with the power switch
        Let router power up completely; it should now be on the alternate firmware

(Last edited by davidc502 on 2 Jul 2015, 21:14)

Hi,
I have tried to flash the routuer, but after the restart the power led is constantly flashing. I have tried alot of methods for  resetting but with no success - it seems that the reset button is not wroking, no mater how long I keep it pressed.  The Lan ports seem to work because they lights up in a few second after turning the router on and Windows finds the network.
I have tried davidc502 method, and a few others -  one that said 3 cycles with 15 seconds wait time after each power off, and also a few that said between 15 and 1 minutes presses of the reset button. I have also tried pressing the reset button for a 15 seconds and cable remove while still holding the reset button.

Is there anything else to try or the TTL to USB is only possibility?

Did you flash to trunk?  OR did you flash to rc2?

Turanaga wrote:

Hi,
I have tried to flash the routuer, but after the restart the power led is constantly flashing. I have tried alot of methods for  resetting but with no success - it seems that the reset button is not wroking, no mater how long I keep it pressed.  The Lan ports seem to work because they lights up in a few second after turning the router on and Windows finds the network.
I have tried davidc502 method, and a few others -  one that said 3 cycles with 15 seconds wait time after each power off, and also a few that said between 15 and 1 minutes presses of the reset button. I have also tried pressing the reset button for a 15 seconds and cable remove while still holding the reset button.

Is there anything else to try or the TTL to USB is only possibility?

If the WAN light doesn't turn on and/or the Fan script does not run, you're bricked and need to recover via the serial port.

On a related note, if you buy a router and plan on flashing custom firmware, it's worth it to add a 3.5mm jack to the side of the router, wire the 3 or 4 leads (you can flash with only 3, but I would still buy 4pin 3.5mm jacks - all 3.5mm jacks are not the same and come in configs from a 1pin to a 6pin) to the proper pins on the header, then simply use a USB-TTL cable with a 3.5mm jack in place of the leads.

Not everyone has experience soldering, but more likely than not most, if not all, know someone than does.  It would take between 15 - 30 minutes to add the jack, leaning more to the longer side if you've never done modifications before, as you want to take your time and make it look clean and aesthetically pleasing.  Once the jack's added, it's simply a matter of plugging the cable in, and flashing; rather than taking it apart.

(Last edited by JW0914 on 3 Jul 2015, 02:56)

Just an FYI, whenever it's just the Power LED and LAN LEDs that are on, more likely than not, you're bricked. 

While some have had success using the method in the Wiki to force it to boot the backup fw image, I've tried countless times, never once able to get it to switch to the backup. (This isn't saying the process doesn't work, only that it's not guaranteed to work).

AFAICT that method would only work if you had "auto_recovery" set to "on" in the boot loader. If you look at the serial output of the factory firmware while it's flashing a non-factory image, it'll say something about setting auto_recovery to off, because it's not a recognized image. So, if you're going from factory to OpenWrt, that particular flash is a bit vulnerable.

Kaloz recently changed the sysupgrade process on the WRT1900AC so that it turns auto_recovery on before flashing, and then turns it off when you reboot successfully into the new image. So, that process has a bit of failsafe in it.

Ultimately, though, the dual-image recovery method is, well, not much of a recovery method.

leitec wrote:

AFAICT that method would only work if you had "auto_recovery" set to "on" in the boot loader. If you look at the serial output of the factory firmware while it's flashing a non-factory image, it'll say something about setting auto_recovery to off, because it's not a recognized image. So, if you're going from factory to OpenWrt, that particular flash is a bit vulnerable.

Kaloz recently changed the sysupgrade process on the WRT1900AC so that it turns auto_recovery on before flashing, and then turns it off when you reboot successfully into the new image. So, that process has a bit of failsafe in it.

Ultimately, though, the dual-image recovery method is, well, not much of a recovery method.

Would you object if I add portions of that to the Wiki?

So you're saying that with "setting auto_recovery to off", there isn't a secondary image to recover from?

davidc502 wrote:

So you're saying that with "setting auto_recovery to off", there isn't a secondary image to recover from?

I think the secondary image is there, but since auto_recovery is set to off, there's no coding instruction set to actually access the image.

JW0914 wrote:
leitec wrote:

Sure, although since there's no published source for the boot loader (this specific one, not u-Boot in general) I can't guarantee it's 100% accurate. But as far as I can tell, that method is based on racking up a high-enough failed boot count to trigger auto_recovery and flip to the other image.

JW0914 wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

I think the secondary image is there, but since auto_recovery is set to off, there's no coding instruction set to actually access the image.

Right, at least without access to the boot loader. You can always flip between images by changing boot_part/bootcmd (or any other manual u-boot command, of course)

leitec wrote:
JW0914 wrote:
leitec wrote:

Sure, although since there's no published source for the boot loader (this specific one, not u-Boot in general) I can't guarantee it's 100% accurate. But as far as I can tell, that method is based on racking up a high-enough failed boot count to trigger auto_recovery and flip to the other image.

I think it would still be helpful info, as as far as I know, no one other than the original author has had success in doing a recovery boot from the secondary image.  (If I recall right, the author wrote than sometime last year, or very early January at the latest, as I started following at page 103 and It had already cropped up a few times by then).

AFAIK no one else can coroberate those steps have ever worked with OpenWRT, which has led to misinformation being passed from one user to the next.

leitec wrote:
JW0914 wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

Right, at least without access to the boot loader. You can always flip between images by changing boot_part/bootcmd (or any other manual u-boot command, of course)

I wasn't aware of that =]

Sorry, posts 6051 to 6050 are missing from our archive.