OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Update on Linksys WRT1900AC support

The content of this topic has been archived between 16 Sep 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

@toufikahmad

If all else fails you can always tftp the stock firmware using a USB TTL adapter. This method is explained in detail in the wiki.

nitroshift

headless.cross wrote:
Nihilanth wrote:

You get that because the directory doesn't exist

A bit off topic, but the directory actually exists: https://downloads.openwrt.org/chaos_calmer/

My bad, didn't see that last time when I checked

Chadster766 wrote:
DavidMcWRT wrote:

15.05 due soon - directory is there but access denied:

https://downloads.openwrt.org/chaos_calmer/15.05/

It looks like this is populated now. What does it mean?

Chaos Calmer 15.05

The OpenWrt developers are proud to announce the final release of OpenWrt Chaos Calmer.

   _______                     ________        __
|       |.-----.-----.-----.|  |  |  |.----.|  |_
|   -   ||  _  |  -__|     ||  |  |  ||   _||   _|
|_______||   __|_____|__|__||________||__|  |____|
          |__| W I R E L E S S   F R E E D O M
-----------------------------------------------------
CHAOS CALMER (15.05)
-----------------------------------------------------
  * 1 1/2 oz Gin            Shake with a glassful
  * 1/4 oz Triple Sec       of broken ice and pour
  * 3/4 oz Lime Juice       unstrained into a goblet.
  * 1 1/2 oz Orange Juice
  * 1 tsp. Grenadine Syrup
-----------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------
http://downloads.openwrt.org/chaos_calmer/15.05/


** Highlights since Barrier Breaker **

* Linux kernel updated to version 3.18
* Improved Security Features
    - Rewritten package signing architecture based on ed25519
    - Added support for jails
    - Added support for hardened builds
* Improved Networking Support
    - Added or improved support for lots of 3G/4G modems (MBIM, QMI, NCM, ...)
    - Added support for 464XLAT (CLAT) [RFC 6877 + RFC 7050]
    - Netfilter performance enhancements (conntrack route cache)
    - Improved support for self-managing networks [draft-ietf-homenet-hncp]
    - Better multi-core support for the network stack
    - Improved support for MAP-E, MAP-T and LW4over6 IPv4 transitioning technologies
        [draft-ietf-softwire-map, -map-t, -map-dhcp, -lw4over6]
    - Improved network auto-setup capable of detecting and bootstrapping IPv4-only,
      6rd, Dual-Stack, IPv6-only, DS-Lite, LW4over6, MAP-E, MAP-T, 464XLAT
      and combinations without explicit configuration [based on RFC 7084]
    - Added support for Smart Queue Management (SQM) QoS, AQM and Traffic Shaping
    - Improved support for DNSSEC
* Platform and Driver Support
    - Added support for feeds of externally maintained targets
    - New mt7621 subtarget for Mediatek 11ac SoC
    - New mt76 mac80211 based wifi driver for MTK 11ac cores.
    - New mwlwifi mac80211 based wifi driver for the Marvell 88W8864
    - New bcm53xx target for Broadcom ARM BCM47xx/53xx devices
    - New mxs target for Freescale i.MX23/28 family and various boards
    - New sunxi target for AllWinner A10/A13/A20 family and various boards
    - brcm2708: support for Raspberry Pi 2
    - brcm63xx: support for BCM6318 and BCM63268 family
    - brcm63xx: improved fallback sprom support with bcma support


** Improvements since RC 3 **
* Updated 3.18 to 3.18.20
* Security update of openssl to 1.0.2d
* Security update of curl
* brcmfmac: many BCM43602 related fixes
* ar71xx: support more devices
* brcm47xx/bcm53xx: support any NVRAM size
* bcm53xx: basic Netgear R7000 support & R8000 image

** Improvements since RC 2 **
* brcmfmac: support for BCM43602
* mt76: updated version with new firmware support, TX & DMA fixes
* Updated 3.18 to 3.18.17
* Fixed image builder generation
* Various security updates (e.g. openssl, curl)
* Minor fixes

** Improvements since RC 1 **
* Fixed broken ImageBuilders for most targets
* Updated 3.18 to 3.18.14
* Fixed broken IPv6 downstream DHCPv6-PD and onlink-route handling
* Images (special format) for Asus brcm47xx and bcm53xx devices
* Improved stability of sysupgrade on brcm47xx and bcm53xx
* Added HTTPS enforcement option to uhttpd
* Fixed umask issue
* Added support for a few new boards

And lots and lots of other advancements...
As always a big thank you goes to all our active package maintainers, testers, supporters and documenters.


Have fun!
    The OpenWrt developer team

Well that does sound interesting!  Anyone installed it yet?  Since I'm still back on 45222 would be nice if this was stable?

Just to confirm, the one for WRT1900AC V1 is  openwrt-15.05-mvebu-armada-xp-linksys-mamba-squashfs-factory.img
Right?

(Last edited by IvanRaide on 11 Sep 2015, 16:45)

what does this mean, No more development on openwrt for this router anymore? What about the new wireless driver that we have been waiting for??
I assume the router freeze issue still exists in this final release also?

(Last edited by alirz on 11 Sep 2015, 16:55)

CHAOS CALMER (15.05)
ARM OpenWrt Linux-3.18.20

IvanRaide wrote:

Just to confirm, the one for WRT1900AC V1 is  openwrt-15.05-mvebu-armada-xp-linksys-mamba-squashfs-factory.img
Right?

Yes.

(Last edited by gufus on 11 Sep 2015, 18:08)

Dumb question about the trunk build environment. So it seems i've run out of disk space.
I see that the two bigges direcotries are " Build_dir" and "staging_dir".

Cant the "build_dir" be completely cleaned out safely? so that i can get the space back and start building again.

alirz wrote:

Dumb question about the trunk build environment. So it seems i've run out of disk space.
I see that the two bigges direcotries are " Build_dir" and "staging_dir".

Cant the "build_dir" be completely cleaned out safely? so that i can get the space back and start building again.

Yes use the below command:

"make dirclean"

Guys,

Quick question.. My 5GHz radio doesn't work anymore after upgrading from stock to the final version of CC.. I have tried changing channels, tx rate and width, but without success.

Any ideas on how I can fix this?

LE: nevermind, after retarting it a fifth time it started working.

(Last edited by Nihilanth on 11 Sep 2015, 23:58)

alirz wrote:

what does this mean, No more development on openwrt for this router anymore? What about the new wireless driver that we have been waiting for??
I assume the router freeze issue still exists in this final release also?

where did you get the idea that a release halts development?

I would assume that the final release will have different bugs than the rc3 candidate that we've been testing here. Some of the fixes from here will be in the final, and it will include fixes from other places that may end up fixing bugs we've been fighting. But it may introduce different bugs as well.

We'll have to wait for people to load it and tun it for a while to see how it shakes out.

This just becaomes the new baseline to work from for now.

dlang wrote:

This just becaomes the new baseline to work from for now.

Next in line:  DD

Nihilanth wrote:

Guys,

Quick question.. My 5GHz radio doesn't work anymore after upgrading from stock to the final version of CC.. I have tried changing channels, tx rate and width, but without success.

Any ideas on how I can fix this?

LE: nevermind, after retarting it a fifth time it started working.

maybe.. https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=59531

I'm sure there will be a DD trunk tomorrow. smile

alirz wrote:

what does this mean, No more development on openwrt for this router anymore? What about the new wireless driver that we have been waiting for??
I assume the router freeze issue still exists in this final release also?

gonzlobo wrote:

I'm sure there will be a DD trunk tomorrow. smile

alirz wrote:

what does this mean, No more development on openwrt for this router anymore? What about the new wireless driver that we have been waiting for??
I assume the router freeze issue still exists in this final release also?

http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/
always is big_smile

Upgraded to CC -- No issues to report.

Question about the wifi driver. There are two drivers located in the mwlwifi directory. Which one is used by default?

root@OpenWrt:~# find / -name *.bin
/lib/firmware/mwlwifi/88W8864.bin
/lib/firmware/mwlwifi/88W8897.bin

Chadster766 wrote:
alirz wrote:

Dumb question about the trunk build environment. So it seems i've run out of disk space.
I see that the two bigges direcotries are " Build_dir" and "staging_dir".

Cant the "build_dir" be completely cleaned out safely? so that i can get the space back and start building again.

Yes use the below command:

"make dirclean"


Thanks i know about that one and thats what i usually do. But my builf enviroment is on a 20GB partittion. The "build_dir" is still 12 GB.. The make dirclean doesnt seem to do much clean up.... I have nothing buy build stuff in this parition. No old images or anything...
It seems the build_dir has grown considerably since i started compiling images several months ago...Is there anything else i remove from the "openwrt" folder?

alirz wrote:

Thanks i know about that one and thats what i usually do. But my builf enviroment is on a 20GB partittion. The "build_dir" is still 12 GB.. The make dirclean doesnt seem to do much clean up.... I have nothing buy build stuff in this parition. No old images or anything...
It seems the build_dir has grown considerably since i started compiling images several months ago...Is there anything else i remove from the "openwrt" folder?

tar.gz the whole thing and start clean or
tar.gz those specific 2 folders and delete after or
just delete them and see what brakes
i doubt a branch can take so much space considering a fw image has 8MB in my case big_smile and the whole build SDK ~1GB

makarel wrote:
alirz wrote:

Thanks i know about that one and thats what i usually do. But my builf enviroment is on a 20GB partittion. The "build_dir" is still 12 GB.. The make dirclean doesnt seem to do much clean up.... I have nothing buy build stuff in this parition. No old images or anything...
It seems the build_dir has grown considerably since i started compiling images several months ago...Is there anything else i remove from the "openwrt" folder?

tar.gz the whole thing and start clean or
tar.gz those specific 2 folders and delete after or
just delete them and see what brakes
i doubt a branch can take so much space considering a fw image has 8MB in my case big_smile and the whole build SDK ~1GB


Well one thing is that while the image is compiling...it slowly eats up (occupies) about 4 GB of space...This is the only space that is released when i do "make dirclean". I was already going to try what you had suggested but couldnt tar stuff because had no disk space left smile

alirz wrote:

Well one thing is that while the image is compiling...it slowly eats up (occupies) about 4 GB of space...This is the only space that is released when i do "make dirclean". I was already going to try what you had suggested but couldnt tar stuff because had no disk space left smile

baobab and see whats inside.. i was going to try build x86 on 5GB space.. seems impossible... how could it take 4GB?? it only yields 8MB fw!!

davidc502 wrote:

Upgraded to CC -- No issues to report.

Question about the wifi driver. There are two drivers located in the mwlwifi directory. Which one is used by default?

root@OpenWrt:~# find / -name *.bin
/lib/firmware/mwlwifi/88W8864.bin
/lib/firmware/mwlwifi/88W8897.bin

/lib/firmware/mwlwifi/88W8864.bin is for the wrt1900ac v1

(Last edited by northbound on 12 Sep 2015, 06:08)

northbound wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

Upgraded to CC -- No issues to report.

Question about the wifi driver. There are two drivers located in the mwlwifi directory. Which one is used by default?

root@OpenWrt:~# find / -name *.bin
/lib/firmware/mwlwifi/88W8864.bin
/lib/firmware/mwlwifi/88W8897.bin

/lib/firmware/mwlwifi/88W8864.bin is for the wrt1900ac v1

Yeah, I figured that because that's the wifi bin that I was using on RC3... Didn't know why another driver was there or if it served some sort of purpose.