OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Update on Linksys WRT1900AC support

The content of this topic has been archived between 16 Sep 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

That reminds me of a question... Was there ever the chance of hardware acceleration on the outside interface? Or is it in the works?

Maybe I'm remembering wrong about it?

alirz wrote:

Dumb question about the trunk build environment. So it seems i've run out of disk space.
I see that the two bigges direcotries are " Build_dir" and "staging_dir".

Cant the "build_dir" be completely cleaned out safely? so that i can get the space back and start building again.

You can always save the .config file (hidden by default) located in the root of the directory then do "make distclean", "git pull" to update to latest revision, and restore the .config file.

nitroshift

davidc502 wrote:

That reminds me of a question... Was there ever the chance of hardware acceleration on the outside interface? Or is it in the works?

Maybe I'm remembering wrong about it?

Still in the works. I got it running with a heavily modified trunk tree that would never be upstreamed / accepted in trunk.

nitroshift

nitroshift wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

That reminds me of a question... Was there ever the chance of hardware acceleration on the outside interface? Or is it in the works?

Maybe I'm remembering wrong about it?

Still in the works. I got it running with a heavily modified trunk tree that would never be upstreamed / accepted in trunk.

nitroshift

Wow, has anyone told you that you are awesome recently? Because you are an open source rock star. I never expected us to get the hardware acceleration goodness, so this is just icing on the (increasingly tasty) cake. Thanks for all you've done and continue to do for us WRT1200/1900 owners.

I loaded the final build tonight, and I'm setting up a permanent USB-TTL interface to catch logs on the serial console. Looking forward to putting the newest build through its paces.

so when the new wifi driver can be expected?

how to collect firmware 15.05?

Armik wrote:

how to collect firmware 15.05?

depends on what you're coming from (Linksys stock, or an earlier OpenWRT) and what hardware model and version (WRT1900AC v1 or v2 or WRT1200AC) you have.

So I sysupgraded from RC3 to final.

No issues with 5GHz wifi.

I've archived this as a known good build... oh wait, I don't need to do that big_smile

Only one weird thing - running opkg list-upgradable gave updates available to the various luci packages:

luci-lib-ip - git-15.245.46763-b179283-1 - git-15.248.30277-3836b45-1            
luci-theme-bootstrap - git-15.245.46763-b179283-1 - git-15.248.30277-3836b45-1   
luci-app-firewall - git-15.245.46763-b179283-1 - git-15.248.30277-3836b45-1      
luci-proto-ppp - git-15.245.46763-b179283-1 - git-15.248.30277-3836b45-1         
luci-mod-admin-full - git-15.245.46763-b179283-1 - git-15.248.30277-3836b45-1    
luci-base - git-15.245.46763-b179283-1 - git-15.248.30277-3836b45-1              
luci-proto-ipv6 - git-15.245.46763-b179283-1 - git-15.248.30277-3836b45-1        
luci-lib-nixio - git-15.245.46763-b179283-1 - git-15.248.30277-3836b45-1         
luci - git-15.245.46763-b179283-1 - git-15.248.30277-3836b45-1   

and I'd done cp /rom/etc/opkg.conf /etc/opkg.conf after the sysupgrade, so was definitely using the Final repo.

I manually updated the above packages and did a reboot for good effect.

DavidMcWRT wrote:
Armik wrote:

how to collect firmware 15.05?

depends on what you're coming from (Linksys stock, or an earlier OpenWRT) and what hardware model and version (WRT1900AC v1 or v2 or WRT1200AC) you have.

actually, someone with access and time should update the wiki to reflect exactly that:

1) use CC Final (as only recommendation)
2) use the following images (give links) depending on what you're coming from (Linksys stock, or an earlier OpenWRT) and what hardware model and version (WRT1900AC v1 or v2 or WRT1200AC) you have.

(Last edited by DavidMcWRT on 12 Sep 2015, 14:34)

dansneddon wrote:
nitroshift wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

That reminds me of a question... Was there ever the chance of hardware acceleration on the outside interface? Or is it in the works?

Maybe I'm remembering wrong about it?

Still in the works. I got it running with a heavily modified trunk tree that would never be upstreamed / accepted in trunk.

nitroshift

Wow, has anyone told you that you are awesome recently? Because you are an open source rock star. I never expected us to get the hardware acceleration goodness, so this is just icing on the (increasingly tasty) cake. Thanks for all you've done and continue to do for us WRT1200/1900 owners.

I loaded the final build tonight, and I'm setting up a permanent USB-TTL interface to catch logs on the serial console. Looking forward to putting the newest build through its paces.

Absolutely! Thanks for working on this because, ultimately, everyone will benefit.

I also appreciate you taking the time to respond to questions.

David

Hey guys,

Have been using CC (final) since yesterday and I have to say I am extremely happy with the overall performance, which is WAY BETTER compared to stock.

I am just not sure how to make my external drive (usb3) work with the router. What packages do I need?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

(Last edited by Nihilanth on 12 Sep 2015, 16:12)

@dansneddon and davidc502

The patches will never be public, at least not in the current state, nor the resulting firmware image. I did it purely for testing purposes.

nitroshift

Nihilanth wrote:

I am just not sure how to make my external drive (usb3) work with the router. What packages do I need?

It depends.  If the drive is already NTFS you'll need a NTFS package.  If it is not formatted you'll need the fdisk package to format it and you the consensus seems to be get the ext package so you can use the EXT4 linux filesystem.  At that point you'll see the drive as /dev/sda and the partition as /dev/sda1.  Just mkdir a directory under mnt and mount your drive.

You're probably asking because you want to use your router as a NAS, so as a final step you'll need the samba package to share your mount.

Question.

If i update to the latest trunk, i know i get the buggy 10.0.3.8 wifi driver. on that latest trunk build could i then, afterwards, put the older 10.3.0.3 bin on the router? Will that work? I ask because i tried that about 2 weeks ago and router had problems booting up...

i want to try that again but just wondering if putting the older bin on the new trunk causes some compatibility problem?

Nihilanth wrote:

Hey guys,

Have been using CC (final) since yesterday and I have to say I am extremely happy with the overall performance, which is WAY BETTER compared to stock.

I am just not sure how to make my external drive (usb3) work with the router. What packages do I need?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I'm using a usb to do kernel and system logging. However, it's formatted fat32, and no issues so far, and no extra packages installed. There is a script used that automatically starts when the router starts which auto-mounts the usb and immediately starts the logging process. There are limitations to fat32, so you may be forced to use NTFS or a Linux file system to get around them.

The first step to get where you're wanting to go is to ensure the usb stick is mounted.

step 1. Make a directory under the /mnt directory called usb = /mnt/usb
step 2. Mount the usb stick = mount /dev/sda /mnt/usb

If you get some weird message back that mount doesn't understand the option or something like that... just reboot the router, and issue the mount command again.

Once you know how to mount the usb, then you want to auto mount every time the router boots. There's a couple of ways to do this, but this one doesn't have to be complicated to work. In Luci Gui -- go to System > StartUp and at the bottom of the screen you will see a textbox for local start up. Just enter the mount command before exit0  "mount /dev/sda /mnt/usb"

If for some reason auto-mount isn't working, it's probably because the command is being executed before the router is completely up, and that can cause weird results. Just put the command "sleep 5" before the mount command in StartUp and reboot to try again.

See if you can get both steps working before moving on.

alirz wrote:

Question.

If i update to the latest trunk, i know i get the buggy 10.0.3.8 wifi driver. on that latest trunk build could i then, afterwards, put the older 10.3.0.3 bin on the router? Will that work? I ask because i tried that about 2 weeks ago and router had problems booting up...

i want to try that again but just wondering if putting the older bin on the new trunk causes some compatibility problem?

It should work just fine, as I've changed them out a few times without issues... However, there may be circumstances I'm not aware of.

alirz wrote:

Question.

If i update to the latest trunk, i know i get the buggy 10.0.3.8 wifi driver. on that latest trunk build could i then, afterwards, put the older 10.3.0.3 bin on the router? Will that work? I ask because i tried that about 2 weeks ago and router had problems booting up...

i want to try that again but just wondering if putting the older bin on the new trunk causes some compatibility problem?

I replace the mwlwifi.ko on the trunk builds I have not changed the bin file I am running r46760 and have over 10 days of uptime this is one of the good builds for sure no problems whatsoever.

Well, I've done a little bit of testing with CC compared to CC RC3, and CC doesn't appear to be as fast on the outside interface using NAT. Maybe others can do some testing too?

Preliminary (Test1) shows a maximum sustained download speed of 67MBps or 536Mbps... CPU0 ramps up to 90% and CPU1 stays around 7%.

Test2 was a little bit better with a maximum sustained download speed of 625Mbps.

Burst speeds are faster --- but sustained downloads using a 20GB video file.

This is in comparison to RC3 using stock affinity with a sustained download of 725Mbps as shown in the graph from the link below.

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=287714#p287714

(Last edited by davidc502 on 12 Sep 2015, 19:09)

Is there a way to delay dnsmasq start?
i ask because i use adblock to create a host.block file on my USB stick.The usb stick takes a few more seconds to mount after a reboot. but dnsmasq tries to load the host file from the usb stick before that and thus fails...

Im trying to delay the host file load so that usb is mounted first...

alirz wrote:

Is there a way to delay dnsmasq start?
i ask because i use adblock to create a host.block file on my USB stick.The usb stick takes a few more seconds to mount after a reboot. but dnsmasq tries to load the host file from the usb stick before that and thus fails...

Im trying to delay the host file load so that usb is mounted first...

Try this... disable dnsmasq from the init script found in Luci. Then add starting dnsmasq on the next to the last line in Local Startup also found in Luci.  This should change the order to allow usb to be mounted before dnsmasq.

davidc502 wrote:
alirz wrote:

Is there a way to delay dnsmasq start?
i ask because i use adblock to create a host.block file on my USB stick.The usb stick takes a few more seconds to mount after a reboot. but dnsmasq tries to load the host file from the usb stick before that and thus fails...

Im trying to delay the host file load so that usb is mounted first...

Try this... disable dnsmasq from the init script found in Luci. Then add starting dnsmasq on the next to the last line in Local Startup also found in Luci.  This should change the order to allow usb to be mounted before dnsmasq.


aha good idea smile
I also notice that in luci there is a priority column. Currently dnsmasq is set to 60. Perhaps there's a way to lower the priority?
thanks

(Last edited by alirz on 12 Sep 2015, 18:41)

alirz wrote:
davidc502 wrote:
alirz wrote:

Is there a way to delay dnsmasq start?
i ask because i use adblock to create a host.block file on my USB stick.The usb stick takes a few more seconds to mount after a reboot. but dnsmasq tries to load the host file from the usb stick before that and thus fails...

Im trying to delay the host file load so that usb is mounted first...

Try this... disable dnsmasq from the init script found in Luci. Then add starting dnsmasq on the next to the last line in Local Startup also found in Luci.  This should change the order to allow usb to be mounted before dnsmasq.


aha good idea smile
I also notice that in luci there is a priority column. Currently dnsmasq is set to 60. Perhaps there's a way to lower the priority?
thanks

That might get you want you want by setting it to 100. Though 100 still might come before usb? Won't hurt by trying though.

dana44 wrote:
Nihilanth wrote:

I am just not sure how to make my external drive (usb3) work with the router. What packages do I need?

It depends.  If the drive is already NTFS you'll need a NTFS package.  If it is not formatted you'll need the fdisk package to format it and you the consensus seems to be get the ext package so you can use the EXT4 linux filesystem.  At that point you'll see the drive as /dev/sda and the partition as /dev/sda1.  Just mkdir a directory under mnt and mount your drive.

You're probably asking because you want to use your router as a NAS, so as a final step you'll need the samba package to share your mount.

Thanks for the tip. I had to install the NTFS package.

davidc502 wrote:
Nihilanth wrote:

Hey guys,

Have been using CC (final) since yesterday and I have to say I am extremely happy with the overall performance, which is WAY BETTER compared to stock.

I am just not sure how to make my external drive (usb3) work with the router. What packages do I need?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I'm using a usb to do kernel and system logging. However, it's formatted fat32, and no issues so far, and no extra packages installed. There is a script used that automatically starts when the router starts which auto-mounts the usb and immediately starts the logging process. There are limitations to fat32, so you may be forced to use NTFS or a Linux file system to get around them.

The first step to get where you're wanting to go is to ensure the usb stick is mounted.

step 1. Make a directory under the /mnt directory called usb = /mnt/usb
step 2. Mount the usb stick = mount /dev/sda /mnt/usb

If you get some weird message back that mount doesn't understand the option or something like that... just reboot the router, and issue the mount command again.

Once you know how to mount the usb, then you want to auto mount every time the router boots. There's a couple of ways to do this, but this one doesn't have to be complicated to work. In Luci Gui -- go to System > StartUp and at the bottom of the screen you will see a textbox for local start up. Just enter the mount command before exit0  "mount /dev/sda /mnt/usb"

If for some reason auto-mount isn't working, it's probably because the command is being executed before the router is completely up, and that can cause weird results. Just put the command "sleep 5" before the mount command in StartUp and reboot to try again.

See if you can get both steps working before moving on.

Done - managed to mount it.

What now? smile

PS: what is package 'block-mount' for? Also, even though I can read the contents of the drive the USB light on the router is off. Any idea on how I can fix this?

Thanks

(Last edited by Nihilanth on 12 Sep 2015, 19:26)

Guys.... 

I have been away for a couple of months and have not had the time to catch up with this thread (over 70 pages)...

Still running a build from June and it seems to have been rock solid:


Firmware Version OpenWrt Chaos Calmer r45936 / LuCI (git-15.158.54828-abc1ed6) 
Kernel Version 3.18.14
Local Time Sat Sep 12 12:22:14 2015
Uptime 26d 13h 34m 52s
Load Average 0.22, 0.06, 0.06

root@WRT1900AC-P:~# sensors
tmp421-i2c-0-4c
Adapter: mv64xxx_i2c adapter
temp1:        +38.7 C
temp2:        +40.4 C

armada_thermal-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1:        +48.7 C


I want to update to current build...  Can I sys upgrade from r45936, or should I jump to stock first etc.?

Thx in advance

Cheers smile

Since RC2 I haven't (as well as some others) been able to go back to stock without the TTL cable.  Unknown reason why it wouldn't flash back to stock without TTL.

I've been backing up the configuration, saving any scripts, and from LUCI, flashed the OpenWrt new image (uncheck keep settings). From there, just import the backed-up configuration, and re-created the scripts on the new firmware.

That's how I've been doing it, and your method of success may vary smile

(Last edited by davidc502 on 12 Sep 2015, 19:35)

Sorry, posts 7526 to 7525 are missing from our archive.