OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Update on Linksys WRT1900AC support

The content of this topic has been archived between 16 Sep 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

ChippyAft wrote:
DavidMcWRT wrote:

I don't know about this program/package, but maybe the executable name is different to the package name?

try:

opkg files rrdtool1

to list the files installed by the package.

Hi David -
Many thanks for your advice - good thinking. Here's what I see:

root@WRT1900AC:~# opkg files rrdtool1
Package rrdtool1 (1.0.50-2) is installed on root and has the following files:
/usr/bin/rrdtool
/usr/bin/rrdupdate
root@WRT1900AC:~# cd /usr/bin
root@WRT1900AC:/usr/bin# rrdtool
-ash: rrdtool: not found
root@WRT1900AC:/usr/bin# ls -ail
[snip]
    521 -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         17568 Sep 24 17:07 rrdcgi
    478 -rwxrwxrwx    1 root     root         17644 Sep 24 17:07 rrdtool
    479 -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         13580 Sep 24 17:07 rrdupdate
[snip]
root@WRT1900AC:/usr/bin# 

so the executable you want to be running is "rrdtool", and not rrdtool1 as you were trying to do.

Hello,
I am not sure that I am posting in the right place, but this is about the WRT1900AC.  I have a new unit (actually a refurbished from Linksys straigh from the box as purchased onthe store) and it is a V1 (the serial number starts with 13J10.

I flashed it with Chaos Calmer (openwrt-15.05-mvebu-armada-xp-linksys-mamba-squashfs-factory.img) and everything went fine.  I logged into it and the first thing I want to do is to create a small netwrok on the LAN side (192.168.3.0/24).  So I set the unit to 192.168.3.1 with the proper mask (255.255.255.0).  On the WAN side, I set it to obtain a DHCP address from my intranet (192.168.1.0/24).  I apply the change and everything works OK: the WAN got an IP address (192.168.1.119) with a gateway at 192.168.1.254 and a DNS at 192.168.1.4 (these are the normal setting of all the computer at home).  A laptop conencted by wire to the LAN side got a IP of 192.168.3.174: all is fine!

I can HTTP to the WAN fine, and I can HTTP to the LAN fine also.

Now problems starts: from the laptop, I cannot access the web or by network: I cannot get out of the 192.168.3.0/24 network.  If I try to get to google on the laptop, it doesn ot work.  But, if I go to Network/Diagnostic, I can ping dev.openwrt.org fine, a traceroute and a snlookup works also fine!

Obviously, there is something that does not work with the gateway portion of my OpenWRT settings.  I played a lot with it, and I am sure that it is more or less the way it was after the flash and the settings described above.  I assume that by default OpenWRT is setup as a gateway, as long os the WAN can connect properly and the LAN is on a different network.  Am I right here.

I realized also when playing around that the Network/Wireless is not there: there is no way to setup the wireless.  This is very odd!

Now, as I palyed a little bit with it, I decided to put it back to default: thre is not "Perform reset" on the System/Backup/Flas Firmaware page.  I cannot put it back to the default of OpenWRT!

So I decided to refalsh it with the sysupgrade file (openwrt-15.05-mvebu-armada-xp-linksys-mamba-squashfs-sysupgrade.tar).  It applies the update, it flashes (I assume), then nothing!  My laptop looses connection and cannot get an IP back!  (I have not tried on the WAN side).  I then assumed that it is bricked (OMG).  Then I tried the Backup Firmware Recovery descibed on the page http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/linksys/wrt1900ac: I did not follow exactly the process but eventually the router power LED is solid: I plug my laptop in the LAN side, and zoom I get the address 192.168.3.174 and I am back at where I was before updating the firmware: I have OpenWRT with my settup descibed above (192.168.3.1 on the LAN and 192.168.1.119 on the WAN.

So, as I am bold, I decided to put back the linksys firmware: I flas with the file FW_WRT1900AC_1.1.10.167514_prod.img.

BTW: on both time I flashed, I uncheck the Keep settings!

After the flash with the Linksys firmware, nothing is happenning: my laptop cannot get an IP!  I am back at a bricked router (OMG again)!

I then do the process to do the Backup Firmware Recovery: this time I do it to the letter!  I am back at OpenWRT with the same settings:  I have OpenWRT with my settup descibed above (192.168.3.1 on the LAN and 192.168.1.119 on the WAN.

Now, can someby shed some light here: I am stuck at OpenWRT with some settings that I made, and I do not find any way to go back to a fresh OpenWRT installation: I cannot falsh with the sysupgrade file, I cannot tell the router to go to the default settings, ad I cannot flash back the Linksys firmware.  Also, the gateway does not work properly and I do not have any access to the wireless!

@jmlacroix

Regarding the internet connectivity: you also need to specify a DNS in WAN configuration. Regarding the reset: on the back of the unit there is a recessed red button that does just that.

nitroshift

DavidMcWRT wrote:

so the executable you want to be running is "rrdtool", and not rrdtool1 as you were trying to do.

Thanks - understood. My attempt to do that was on the next line, but unfortunately "rrdtool" doesn't work either...

Package rrdtool1 (1.0.50-2) is installed on root and has the following files:
/usr/bin/rrdtool
/usr/bin/rrdupdate

root@WRT1900AC:~# cd /usr/bin

root@WRT1900AC:/usr/bin# rrdtool
-ash: rrdtool: not found

So to run the fan_monitor, do you need to do anything like...
/usr/sbin/fan_monitor start
/usr/sbin/fan_monitor enable

Sorry about the n00b questions.
-signed 3 year openWRT user

gonzlobo wrote:

So to run the fan_monitor, do you need to do anything like...
/usr/sbin/fan_monitor start
/usr/sbin/fan_monitor enable

Sorry about the n00b questions.
-signed 3 year openWRT user

Turn it on high

echo "255" > /sys/devices/pwm_fan/hwmon/hwmon0/pwm1

Turn it off

echo "0" > /sys/devices/pwm_fan/hwmon/hwmon0/pwm1

A medium speed.

echo "100" > /sys/devices/pwm_fan/hwmon/hwmon0/pwm1

Maybe you just want to run the script?  /sbin/fan_ctrl.sh

(Last edited by davidc502 on 27 Sep 2015, 21:44)

nitroshift wrote:

@jmlacroix

Regarding the internet connectivity: you also need to specify a DNS in WAN configuration. Regarding the reset: on the back of the unit there is a recessed red button that does just that.

nitroshift

Actually, the WAN has a DNS.  On the Status/Overview page on LuCI I have (all provided by the DHCP server):
IPv4 WAN Status:
Type: dhcp
Address: 192.168.1.119
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.254  (this is the proper gateway)
DNS 1: 192.168.1.4 (this is the proper DNS).

I have not tried the reset button to see what will happen: I will try later.  But there are questions in my message that are still unanswered:
- Why I cannot flash with another firmware (wheter OpenWRT or the Linksys factory one) and why I have to go to recovery to have a working unit again?
- Where is the setup for the WIFI?

(Last edited by jmlacroix on 27 Sep 2015, 21:46)

nitroshift wrote:

@jmlacroix

nitroshift

Pressing the reset button on the back does nothing (I tried many times as long as 25 seconds).
If I turn tjhe router off and turn it on again while the reset button is pressed, the power light flashes rapidly for a few seconds, the retour reboot and I am back as the same setting as before: I am not at the default of OpenWRT and the results are not different than if I just turned the router off and on again!

(Last edited by jmlacroix on 27 Sep 2015, 22:19)

Automatic fan control

OpenWrt Chaos Calmer 15.05

Runs as a daemon, MUCH FASTER than a cron job

Create two files "fan_control" "fan_monitor" and UL them into the proper dir(s)

/etc/init.d/fan_control
All this script file does is start/stop the daemon and auto-start up at bootup

/usr/sbin/fan_monitor
All this script file does is to monitor temperatures and turn on/off the fan

Delete the stock cron job for fan control.

start/stop from the command line

/etc/init.d/fan_control start
/etc/init.d/fan_control stop

fan_control

#!/bin/sh /etc/rc.common

# put in /etc/init.d/fan_control

START=99

PIDFILE=/var/run/fan_monitor_pid

start() {
    start-stop-daemon -b -S -x /usr/sbin/fan_monitor -m -p $PIDFILE
}

stop() {
    start-stop-daemon -K -p $PIDFILE
}

fan_monitor

#!/bin/sh

# put in /usr/sbin/fan_monitor
# fan_monitor
# Utility script to monitor temperatures and turn on/off the fan in accordance
# with the original Belkin specs.

INTERVAL=30 # Poll every 30 seconds

# The fan will turn on if any of these temperatures is exceeded
CPU_ON=58   # Belkin default is 85
DDR_ON=48   # Belkin default is 65
WIFI_ON=51  # Belkin default is 105

# The fan will turn off if all of the temperatures are below these values
CPU_OFF=80  # Belkin default is 80
DDR_OFF=60  # Belkin default is 60
WIFI_OFF=70 # Belkin default is 100

old_pwm=-1

fan_set() {
    if $1; then
        pwm=255
    else
        pwm=0
    fi
    if [ "$pwm" -ne "$old_pwm" ]; then
        echo "Setting fan PWM to: $pwm"
        echo "$pwm" > /sys/devices/pwm_fan/hwmon/hwmon0/pwm1
        old_pwm=$pwm
    fi
}

# Turn fan off when exiting
trap "{ fan_set false; exit; }" SIGINT SIGTERM

# Main fan control loop
while true
do
    cpu=`cat /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon2/temp1_input`
    ddr=`cat /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon1/temp1_input`
    wifi=`cat /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon1/temp2_input`

# Divide by 1000 to get temp values in C
    cpu=`expr $cpu / 1000`
    ddr=`expr $ddr / 1000`
    wifi=`expr $wifi / 1000`

if [ "$cpu" -ge $CPU_ON \
        -o "$ddr" -ge $DDR_ON \
        -o "$wifi" -ge $WIFI_ON ]
    then
        fan_set true
    elif [ "$cpu" -le $CPU_OFF \
        -a "$ddr" -le $DDR_OFF \
        -a "$wifi" -le $WIFI_OFF ]
    then
        fan_set false
    fi

sleep $INTERVAL &
    wait %1
done

Tip

Just use this code, run it from the command line. it will show REAL-TIME info.

Much easer to set the thresholds.

while true; do a=`cat /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon2/temp1_input`; b=`cat /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon1/temp1_input`; c=`cat /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon1/temp2_input`; d=`date +"%H:%M:%S"`; f=`cat /sys/devices/pwm_fan/hwmon/hwmon0/pwm1`; echo $d cputemp=$(($a/1000))" "ddrtemp=$(($b/1000))" "wifitemp=$(($c/1000)) fanstatus=$f;sleep 1; done

(Last edited by gufus on 28 Sep 2015, 00:49)

Thanks davidc502 & gufus. I actually copied the info this time.

Hello,
This is a problem with WRT1200AC.
I flashed OpenWRT from the ORIGINAL Linksys firmware, with the image provided by kaloz(Great thanks).
My router encountered a accidental power off yesterday (short period of time), and after the boot up, router was then running on linksys firmware again! With all my previous setting for it. Since I have almost the same settings on OPENWRT and the original firmware, i did only notice this today when I accessed 192.168.1.1 and saw the blueish linksys UI.
Is there anything i missed when I was setting up OPENWRT? The original firmware, and with its setting, must be somewhere on the flash storage. It would be really frustrating if i have to reset OPENWRT every time after it comes back from a power loss. Regular Reboot would not cause this problem.

Any Solution?

Hello
is it possible to configure 4 LAN-Ports on the 1900AC with 4 different IP-Addresses with OpenWRT?

Greets

(Last edited by 3x3cut0r on 28 Sep 2015, 09:23)

CFMVince wrote:

Hello,
I flashed OpenWRT from the ORIGINAL Linksys firmware, with the image provided by kaloz(Great thanks).
My router encountered a accidental power off yesterday (short period of time), and after the boot up, router was then running on linksys firmware again! With all my previous setting for it. Since I have almost the same settings on OPENWRT and the original firmware, i did only notice this today when I accessed 192.168.1.1 and saw the blueish linksys UI.
Is there anything i missed when I was setting up OPENWRT? The original firmware, and with its setting, must be somewhere on the flash storage. It would be really frustrating if i have to reset OPENWRT every time after it comes back from a power loss. Regular Reboot would not cause this problem.

Any Solution?

I have this issue too with my 1900ac.  Not sure if its by design or not.

3x3cut0r wrote:

Hello
is it possible to configure 4 LAN-Ports on the 1900AC with 4 different IP-Addresses with OpenWRT?

Greets

There may be an issue because the 4 LAN ports are at layer 2 (Switching).

What is it that you are trying to do?

CFMVince wrote:

Hello,

Any Solution?

That is my problem with the wrt1200ac .
Switching between versions . After a Sysupgrade the router was no longer working . Does it have something to do :
https://dev.openwrt.org/changeset/46690

Hello,

I've just upgraded to the latest v15.05 (kernel 3.18.20) from RC3, then loaded and running OpenVPN successfully.

Then tried loading kmod-fs-ext4 to share a USB drive.  I getting the following install error:

Installing kmod-fs-ext4 (3.18.17-1) to root...
Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/chaos_calm … mvebu.ipk.
Multiple packages (kmod-crypto-core and kmod-crypto-core) providing same name marked HOLD or PREFER. Using latest.

Collected errors:
* satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for kmod-fs-ext4:
*     kernel (= 3.18.17-1-ea890e6ccd016d26700d53d207016b91) *     kernel (= 3.18.17-1-ea890e6ccd016d26700d53d207016b91) *     kernel (= 3.18.17-1-ea890e6ccd016d26700d53d207016b91) *
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package kmod-fs-ext4.

Is this something I can address my end...?  Thanks in advance.

Foxmeister wrote:

Hello,

I've just upgraded to the latest v15.05 (kernel 3.18.20) from RC3, then loaded and running OpenVPN successfully.

Then tried loading kmod-fs-ext4 to share a USB drive.  I getting the following install error:

Installing kmod-fs-ext4 (3.18.17-1) to root...
Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/chaos_calm … mvebu.ipk.
Multiple packages (kmod-crypto-core and kmod-crypto-core) providing same name marked HOLD or PREFER. Using latest.

Collected errors:
* satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for kmod-fs-ext4:
*     kernel (= 3.18.17-1-ea890e6ccd016d26700d53d207016b91) *     kernel (= 3.18.17-1-ea890e6ccd016d26700d53d207016b91) *     kernel (= 3.18.17-1-ea890e6ccd016d26700d53d207016b91) *
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package kmod-fs-ext4.

Is this something I can address my end...?  Thanks in advance.

Looks like your /etc/opkg.conf is still looking at the older "15.05-rc3" repository.

Thanks kirkgbr...

I need to learn to read the fine print...

3x3cut0r wrote:

Hello

Greets

Yes.

Set up some VLAN(s).

gufus wrote:
3x3cut0r wrote:

Hello

Greets

Yes.

Set up some VLAN(s).

VLANS are layer 2 (switching layer), and not IP (Network Layer).

I'm kind of curious as to what he/she is wanting to do.

(Last edited by davidc502 on 28 Sep 2015, 18:07)

CFMVince wrote:

Hello,

Any Solution?

NoFruitNoFlavor wrote:

I have this issue too with my 1900ac.  Not sure if its by design or not.

Occam's Razor... the simplest answer is almost always the correct one.  More likely than not, the dirty shutdown caused corruption and it reverted to the backup image of the firmware.  Unless you flashed OpenWRT twice in a row, the backup image would still have been the OEM firmware.  Good news is if you may have a chance to recover settings from OpenWRT image and there's a tutorial on how to do so in the Wikis section..

255255255255 wrote:

That is my problem with the wrt1200ac .
Switching between versions . After a Sysupgrade the router was no longer working . Does it have something to do :
https://dev.openwrt.org/changeset/46690

You probably had a bad flash and simply need to flash the firmware again.

@jmlacroix

Prior to responding

• You shouldn't expect someone to help you when you refuse to help yourself.  All of your issues are the result of user error, no more, no less.  Wikis exist for a reason and while everyone who's on this forum has no issue helping someone, it's painfully obvious you didn't bother to try and help yourself, even mentioning you read a portion of the wiki and disregarded it.  The sheer length and scope of your reply is indicative of an end user who didn't bother taking the 10 - 15 minutes to read the wiki, or search google.

jmlacroix wrote:

(openwrt-15.05-mvebu-armada-xp-linksys-mamba-squashfs-factory.img)
LAN 192.168.3.0/24
unit 192.168.3.1/24
WAN (DHCP address from intranet) 192.168.1.0/24
WAN IP 192.168.1.119 gateway 192.168.1.254 DNS 192.168.1.4
laptop conencted via LAN to LAN side receives IP 192.168.3.174 (correct)

From laptop, cannot access WAN or LAN (cannot get out of the 192.168.3.0/24 network) If I try to get to google on the laptop, it doesn not work (can ping dev.openwrt.org, traceroute, and nslookup from Network/Diagnostic fine)

• Are you running the WRT1900ac as a second access point (I ask because you list LAN as 192.168.3.0, the WRT1900 as 192.168.3.1 (I assume you meant the WRT1900 exists on 192.168.3.0/24), and WAN as 192.168.1.119 )?  What is Network - Interfaces - WAN - General Setup - Protocol set to?

jmlacroix wrote:

I assume that by default OpenWRT is setup as a gateway, as long os the WAN can connect properly and the LAN is on a different network.  Am I right here?

• Correct, however [somebody will need to chime in to verify] I don't believe the WRT1900 should be configured as a gateway since your WAN IP is a local address, indicating you either have a modem/router combo, or you have a managed switch in between the modem and the WRT1900.  Whatever switch is in front of the WRT1900 would be the gateway, as it faces WAN, not the WRT1900.

jmlacroix wrote:

I realized also when playing around that the Network/Wireless is not there: there is no way to setup the wireless.

• Where exactly are you looking? There's no possible way it's not under Network - WiFi, as other users would have reported it, not to mention the firmware would never have been posted with that section, or any section, missing.  Please do not expect others to help you when you refuse to help yourself.

jmlacroix wrote:

Now, as I palyed a little bit with it, I decided to put it back to default: there is not "Perform reset" on the System/Backup/Flash Firmaware page.  I cannot put it back to the default of OpenWRT!

• You do this by re-flashing the firmware... something that is also included within the OpenWRT Wikis

jmlacroix wrote:

So I decided to refalsh it with the sysupgrade file (openwrt-15.05-mvebu-armada-xp-linksys-mamba-squashfs-sysupgrade.tar).  It applies the update, it flashes, then nothing!  My laptop looses connection and cannot get an IP back and assumed it is bricked.!  (I have not tried on the WAN side).
Then I tried the Backup Firmware Recovery descibed on the page http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/linksys/wrt1900ac:

• Again, had you bothered to read the WRT1900 wiki, it clearly states what IP you need to navigate to after a firmware flash.

jmlacroix wrote:

I did not follow exactly the process but eventually the router power LED is solid:

• I'm really scratching my head at this point as to why you even bothered to post this specific post... **baffled**

jmlacroix wrote:

I plug my laptop in the LAN side, and I get the address 192.168.3.174 and I am back at where I was before updating the firmware: I have OpenWRT with my settup descibed above (192.168.3.1 LAN and 192.168.1.119 WAN).

• This is because it reverted to the backup firmware image, which also has all of your settings for that image

jmlacroix wrote:

I flash the file FW_WRT1900AC_1.1.10.167514_prod.img to revert back to OEM and on both times I flashed, I unchecked keep settings! After flashing the Linksys firmware, nothing is happening: my laptop cannot get an IP!  I am back at a bricked router!

• I'm just going to stop providing help at this point, as it's a waste of mine, or anyone else's, time to help an individual who blatantly refuses to help themselves.

• I encourage you to take the time and help yourself, as until you make an effort, it's a waste of everyone's time to attempt to help you.

jmlacroix wrote:

I then do the process to do the Backup Firmware Recovery: this time I do it to the letter!  I am back at OpenWRT with the same settings:  I have OpenWRT with my settup descibed above (192.168.3.1 LAN and 192.168.1.119 WAN).

I am stuck at OpenWRT with some settings that I made, and I do not find any way to go back to a fresh OpenWRT installation: I cannot flash with the sysupgrade file, I cannot tell the router to go to the default settings, and I cannot flash back the Linksys firmware.  Also, the gateway does not work properly and I do not have any access to the wireless!

(Last edited by JW0914 on 28 Sep 2015, 20:08)

davidc502 wrote:
gufus wrote:
3x3cut0r wrote:

Hello

Greets

Yes.

Set up some VLAN(s).

what you do is create 4 VLANs in openwrt and configure each port on the switch to be a different network, and give openwrt a different network address (and IP) on each port.

Like you, I wonder what the original poster is trying to do, but if they are wanting four separate internal networks, that's fairly straightforward.

JW0914 wrote:

@jmlacroix

Prior to responding

• You shouldn't expect someone to help you when you refuse to help yourself.  All of your issues are the result of user error, no more, no less.  Wikis exist for a reason and while everyone who's on this forum has no issue helping someone, it's painfully obvious you didn't bother to try and help yourself, even mentioning you read a portion of the wiki and disregarded it.  The sheer length and scope of your reply is indicative of an end user who didn't bother taking the 10 - 15 minutes to read the wiki, or search google.

Wow!  Nice color (I like red!).  Prior to responding: you are assuming that I do not want to help myself!  For your information, I spend about 5 hours on the web (openWRT Wiki site, YouTube, Google, etc.) before posting my message.  If I write in a forum board, it is usually because after spending many hours with a problem that I tries to solve myslef, I hit a dead end, and need some help to figure out something!

Also, this WRT1900AC is not the first router that I flashed: I have a TP-WR841N and a TP-WDR3600v1 that I flashed many time with OpenWRT and also Gargoyle, and I never had problem and everything works fine.

I am also not a newby with computers in general, as I am using them since 1974 (yes: before the Apple ][) and I am using Linux since 1995 and built many servers with this OS (RedHat, Fedora, CentOS, Ubuntu, etc.).  But, I will admit that I am new to routers in general!

I am removing from this message anything related to flashing the WRT1900AC as I was finally able (although not easily) be flash back to the Linksys firmware and flash back to a fresh Chaos Calmer installation!

jmlacroix wrote:

(openwrt-15.05-mvebu-armada-xp-linksys-mamba-squashfs-factory.img).

LAN 192.168.3.0/24
unit 192.168.3.1/24
WAN (DHCP address from intranet) 192.168.1.0/24
WAN IP 192.168.1.119 gateway 192.168.1.254 DNS 192.168.1.4
laptop connected via LAN to LAN side receives IP 192.168.3.174 (correct)

From laptop, cannot access WAN or LAN (cannot get out of the 192.168.3.0/24 network) If I try to get to google on the laptop, it doesn not work (can ping dev.openwrt.org, traceroute, and nslookup from Network/Diagnostic fine)

• Are you running the WRT1900ac as a second access point (I ask because you list LAN as 192.168.3.0, the WRT1900 as 192.168.3.1 (I assume you meant the WRT1900 exists on 192.168.3.0/24), and WAN as 192.168.1.119 )?  What is Network - Interfaces - WAN - General Setup - Protocol set to?

Yes: I have a network at home in the 192.168.1.0/24 zone that is connected to the Internet through a router and a DSL modem through PPPoE.  My network has a DHCP server thay provides IP addresse to my whole network.  I started playing with OpenWRT a month ago for a project for my son at the University, and then I got interested to that.  I acquired a WRT1900AC to play around with it and see if eventually (although I realize that it may be far in the future) it could replace several other piece of hardware that are getting old (router, wireless AP, bandwith monitoring computer).  So, to play around I want to create a 192.168.3.0/24 subnet(LAN) that will connect to the 192.168.1.0/24 network  (on the WAN port) that itself is conencted to the Internet.  This setup works fine with other routers (see later)

Network - Interfaces - WAN - General Setup - Protocol is DHCP Client

jmlacroix wrote:

I assume that by default OpenWRT is setup as a gateway, as long as the WAN can connect properly and the LAN is on a different network.  Am I right here?

• Correct, however [somebody will need to chime in to verify] I don't believe the WRT1900 should be configured as a gateway since your WAN IP is a local address, indicating you either have a modem/router combo, or you have a managed switch in between the modem and the WRT1900.  Whatever switch is in front of the WRT1900 would be the gateway, as it faces WAN, not the WRT1900.

I want to create:  192.168.3.0/24 network -> WRT1900AC LAN (192.168.3.1)/WAN (192.168.1.119) -> 192.168.1.0/24 network with 192.168.1.254 as the gateway and 192.168.1.4 as the DNS -> Internet.

I just flashed my TP-WDR3600v1 with Chaos Calmer an hour ago (to have a fresh install) and setup the LAN on 192.168.2.0/24 (to generate another network) and I set the WAN as a DHCP Client.  My laptop connected to this router, the same way as I connect it to the WRT1900AC, can access the Internet without any problem.  I did with this TP-WDR3600 the same modification to  the OpenWRT Chaos Calmer installation as I did withthe WRT1900AC: flash a brand fresh firmware, and just change the IP from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.2.1 (TP-WDR3600) or 192.168.3.1 (WRT1900AC).  The gateway works for the TP-WDR3600 but not for the WRT1900AC!

jmlacroix wrote:

I realized also when playing around that the Network/Wireless is not there: there is no way to setup the wireless.

• Where exactly are you looking? There's no possible way it's not under Network - WiFi, as other users would have reported it, not to mention the firmware would never have been posted with that section, or any section, missing.  Please do not expect others to help you when you refuse to help yourself.

I am looking at Network: I see
- Interface
- Switch
- DHCP and |DNS
- Hostname
- Static Rules
- Diagnostic
- Firewall

But no Wireless!

I log by SSH to the WRT1900AC and in /etc/config I have:
- dhcpP
- firewall
- network
- system
- ucitrak
- dropbear
- luci
- rpcd
- ubootend
- uhttpd

On the TP-WDR3600 I have the same one plus wireless!  So: how to I set the wireless on WRT1900AC?  I can do it in 2 minutes on the TP-WDR3600!

• Again, had you bothered to read the WRT1900 wiki, it clearly states what IP you need to navigate to after a firmware flash.

Yes: 192.168.1.1!  I know and I tried!

jmlacroix wrote:

I plug my laptop in the LAN side, and I get the address 192.168.3.174 and I am back at where I was before updating the firmware: I have OpenWRT with my settup descibed above (192.168.3.1 LAN and 192.168.1.119 WAN).

• This is because it reverted to the backup firmware image, which also has all of your settings for that image

I assumed that much, but I tough that the backup would be the Linksys derfault or a default OpenWRT.

• I'm just going to stop providing help at this point, as it's a waste of mine, or anyone else's, time to help an individual who blatantly refuses to help themselves.

• I encourage you to take the time and help yourself, as until you make an effort, it's a waste of everyone's time to attempt to help you.

Thanks for your time anyway!  It is appreciated, even with what you think of me!

dlang wrote:
davidc502 wrote:
gufus wrote:

Yes.

Set up some VLAN(s).

what you do is create 4 VLANs in openwrt and configure each port on the switch to be a different network, and give openwrt a different network address (and IP) on each port.

Like you, I wonder what the original poster is trying to do, but if they are wanting four separate internal networks, that's fairly straightforward.

To do so, it would be important to know the layout. Otherwise it keeps you guessing wink

https://s3.amazonaws.com/Justin.Schuhma … layout.png