OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Update on Linksys WRT1900AC support

The content of this topic has been archived between 16 Sep 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

jmlacroix wrote:

you are assuming that I do not want to help myself!  For your information, I spend about 5 hours on the web (openWRT Wiki site, YouTube, Google, etc.) before posting my message.  If I write in a forum board, it is usually because after spending many hours with a problem that I tries to solve myslef, I hit a dead end, and need some help to figure out something!

Had you indeed spent "5 hours" searching before posting, then within the first 5 minutes of reading the WRT1900 wiki you would have came across the answer to all of your problems except for your networking issue.  This forum is not about arguing, so I again encourage you to please take the time to read and not discount what's written in a wiki.

(Last edited by JW0914 on 29 Sep 2015, 00:24)

jmlacroix wrote:
JW0914 wrote:
  • Are you running the WRT1900ac as a second access point (I ask because you list LAN as 192.168.3.0, the WRT1900 as 192.168.3.1 (I assume you meant the WRT1900 exists on 192.168.3.0/24), and WAN as 192.168.1.119 )?  What is Network - Interfaces - WAN - General Setup - Protocol set to?

Yes: I have a network at home in the 192.168.1.0/24 zone that is connected to the Internet through a router and a DSL modem through PPPoE.  My network has a DHCP server thay provides IP addresse to my whole network.  I started playing with OpenWRT a month ago for a project for my son at the University, and then I got interested to that.  I acquired a WRT1900AC to play around with it and see if eventually (although I realize that it may be far in the future) it could replace several other piece of hardware that are getting old (router, wireless AP, bandwith monitoring computer).  So, to play around I want to create a 192.168.3.0/24 subnet(LAN) that will connect to the 192.168.1.0/24 network  (on the WAN port) that itself is conencted to the Internet.  This setup works fine with other routers (see later)

Network - Interfaces - WAN - General Setup - Protocol is DHCP Client

This is the part someone else will need to chime in on as I've never configured a network with more than one router.  The issue isn't the router, as your network setup will function fine with OpenWRT and the WRT1900... OpenWRT simply needs to be configured correctly to do so under Network - Interfaces - WAN 

Until someone with more experience can comment on how to configure OpenWRT for your network layout, you may be able to find some helpful information in the Wiki section.  It's a bit dated, however what you want to do is very basic and is probably covered in at least one of those Wikis.

jmlacroix wrote:

I want to create:  192.168.3.0/24 network -> WRT1900AC LAN (192.168.3.1)/WAN (192.168.1.119) -> 192.168.1.0/24 network with 192.168.1.254 as the gateway and 192.168.1.4 as the DNS -> Internet.

I just flashed my TP-WDR3600v1 with Chaos Calmer an hour ago (to have a fresh install) and setup the LAN on 192.168.2.0/24 (to generate another network) and I set the WAN as a DHCP Client.  My laptop connected to this router, the same way as I connect it to the WRT1900AC, can access the Internet without any problem.  I did with this TP-WDR3600 the same modification to  the OpenWRT Chaos Calmer installation as I did withthe WRT1900AC: flash a brand fresh firmware, and just change the IP from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.2.1 (TP-WDR3600) or 192.168.3.1 (WRT1900AC).  The gateway works for the TP-WDR3600 but not for the WRT1900AC!

I realized also when playing around that the Network/Wireless is not there: there is no way to setup the wireless.

I am looking at Network: I see
- Interface
- Switch
- DHCP and |DNS
- Hostname
- Static Rules
- Diagnostic
- Firewall

But no Wireless!

I log by SSH to the WRT1900AC and in /etc/config I have:
- dhcpP
- firewall
- network
- system
- ucitrak
- dropbear
- luci
- rpcd
- ubootend
- uhttpd

On the TP-WDR3600 I have the same one plus wireless!  So: how do I set the wireless on WRT1900AC?  I can do it in 2 minutes on the TP-WDR3600!

Again, this is covered in the WRT1900 wiki, which you've obviously still not bothered to read... the WRT1900 wiki link is in my signature, please read it.

• Just a heads up, I won't respond to another post of yours asking for help if it's blatantly obvious you still haven't bothered to read the wiki; I would encourage others to not do so eitherThis is ridiculous... I'll just leave it at that.

jmlacroix wrote:
JW0914 wrote:
  • Again, had you bothered to read the WRT1900 wiki, it clearly states what IP you need to navigate to after a firmware flash.

Yes: 192.168.1.1!  I know and I tried!

Either one of two things occurred...either you didn't follow proper flashing procedure and therefore had a corrupted flash or you didn't try releasing and renewing your IP [most likely scenario]  <-- this is also covered in the WRT1900 wiki

jmlacroix wrote:
JW0914 wrote:
  • This is because it reverted to the backup firmware image, which also has all of your settings for that image

I assumed that much, but I tough that the backup would be the Linksys derfault or a default OpenWRT.

There is a primary and secondary firmware location... current firmware is in primary, firmware you flashed from during the last firmware flash will be in secondary.  <-- This is also briefly touched upon in the WRT1900 wiki, though not explained in the way I just phrased it

(Last edited by JW0914 on 29 Sep 2015, 01:06)

JW0914 wrote:
jmlacroix wrote:

I realized also when playing around that the Network/Wireless is not there: there is no way to setup the wireless.

I am looking at Network: I see
- Interface
- Switch
- DHCP and |DNS
- Hostname
- Static Rules
- Diagnostic
- Firewall

But no Wireless!

I log by SSH to the WRT1900AC and in /etc/config I have:
- dhcpP
- firewall
- network
- system
- ucitrak
- dropbear
- luci
- rpcd
- ubootend
- uhttpd

On the TP-WDR3600 I have the same one plus wireless!  So: how do I set the wireless on WRT1900AC?  I can do it in 2 minutes on the TP-WDR3600!

Again, this is covered in the WRT1900 wiki, which you've obviously still not bothered to read... the WRT1900 wiki link is in my signature, please read it.

I read the wiki many times (at least 10 times), and there is nothing that says that the wireless file is not in the /etc/config and that you have to create it!  I browsed through the forum and was able to find the content of a wireless file in message 7,642 by drewgarth2.  I created it on my router and now I have access to Network/Wifi and I have the two Wireless Controller (radio0 and radio1).  But I have not tried to see if it actually works: tomorrow!

Thanks JW0914!  But, please, do not assume that I do not read the wiki or that I do not try to find the information by myself, because this is so far from the truth!

jmlacroix wrote:

I read the wiki many times (at least 10 times), and there is nothing that says that the wireless file is not in the /etc/config and that you have to create it!  I browsed through the forum and was able to find the content of a wireless file in message 7,642 by drewgarth2.  I created it on my router and now I have access to Network/Wifi and I have the two Wireless Controller (radio0 and radio1).  But I have not tried to see if it actually works: tomorrow!

Thanks JW0914!  But, please, do not assume that I do not read the wiki or that I do not try to find the information by myself, because this is so far from the truth!

I'll post this to show the ridiculousness of your post, after which I'll be overlooking all your future posts as this is beyond ridiculous... especially when I know what's in the WRT1900 wiki because I spent days reformatting it and making sure it was organized and easy to follow.  This whole conversation with you has been irritating to say the least...

• Direct your attention to the last three bullet points that reside directly above OpenWRT --> OEM [particularly the first one]

Secondly, DrewGarth2's post has nothing to do with your issue at all, nor did it direct you to edit /etc/config/wireless 

• The reason: There's no need to create /etc/config/wireless as the firmware creates it when you enable wireless.  Why would you expect a feature disabled by default, and which has never been enabled, to have a config file in /etc/config?

You've been asked to read the Wiki not once, not twice, not three times, but nine separate times... I don't understand what's so difficult about taking 10 - 15 minutes to read the wiki, not because I enjoy typing the same things over and over, but because it would be beneficial to you to do so since every single one of your problems, except for your network issue, is directly due to your refusal to read the WRT1900 wiki.

Regardless, you've burned your bridge with me due to your blatant refusal to read what's right in front of you and take advice from someone who's trying to help you... good riddance.

(Last edited by JW0914 on 29 Sep 2015, 15:15)

jmlacroix wrote:

You can also get help with this in the Linksys forums:
http://community.linksys.com/t5/Wireles … light/true

I have a WRT1900AC v1 with OEM 1.1.10.167514

I have tried to flash with openwrt-15.05-mvebu-armada-xp-linksys-mamba-squashfs-factory.img  Linksys update complains about file name twice (which I expected).  I also tried rc3 weeks ago, with the same results.

When I reboot power light comes on and thats it.  No flashing of anything except for my LAN port with local traffic.

Local network is hard on 192.168.1.0/24.  Cannot ping from windows or Linux including boxes with fixed IP addresses.

Can recover with reset button and multiple power cycles (per wiki, which I have read numerous times).

I can build a serial cable if needed.  I can boot TFTP if needed.

Any recommendations of what I should try next.

Thanks in advance.

Doug Dumitru

Chadster766 wrote:

You can also get help with this in the Linksys forums:
http://community.linksys.com/t5/Wireles … light/true

Thank you very much for the information: I had seen the forum a couple weeks ago (before I purchased my WRT1900AC): I will look at it again to see if I find anything to help me!

Now, maybe you can answer a simple question for me: if I flash a WRT1900AC v1 that has the Linksys (1.1.8) firmware with Chaos Calmer (from the link provided on the WRT1900 wiki): https://downloads.openwrt.org/chaos_cal … actory.img and just login on that fresh install and looking under Network, is it normal that there is no Network/Wifi?

I understand that the wifi is disabled by default (as it is with many OpenWRT installations) and that the SSID and password has to be set, but how can I do that if I do not have Network/Wifi?  I flashed other router (TP-Link) with openWRT and I always had a Network/WIfi and could from there set up the wifi, SSID and password.  For the WRT1900AC, do I have to use UCI?  If yes, then I can do it, but I need to know first if not having Network/Wifi is normal, because if not, then I have to look why it is the case (bad flash??).

jmlacroix wrote:

Now, maybe you can answer a simple question for me: if I flash a WRT1900AC v1 that has the Linksys (1.1.8) firmware with Chaos Calmer (from the link provided on the WRT1900 wiki): https://downloads.openwrt.org/chaos_cal … actory.img and just login on that fresh install and looking under Network, is it normal that there is no Network/Wifi?

The image you flashed is wrong. It should be the MAMBA image for the WRT1900AC V1:
https://downloads.openwrt.org/chaos_cal … actory.img

Wireless will probably not work at all in this case.

Caiman and Cobra are the WRT1200AC and the WRT1900AC V2 images.

Once you load the right image you can config the wireless in LuCI normally.

(Last edited by Chadster766 on 29 Sep 2015, 15:50)

Chadster766 wrote:
jmlacroix wrote:

The image you flashed is wrong. It should be the MAMBA image for the WRT1900AC V1:

Actually, I pasted the wrong link on my message: I pasted the link for the WRT1200AC v1.  I did use the https://downloads.openwrt.org/chaos_cal … ctory.img.

I do not have with me right now the computer that I used for the flashing, but I will check later today on it that the image is the right one, but I am 99.9 % sure as I checked it about 3 times before flashing!

jmlacroix wrote:
Chadster766 wrote:
jmlacroix wrote:

Actually, I pasted the wrong link on my message: I pasted the link for the WRT1200AC v1.  I did use the https://downloads.openwrt.org/chaos_cal … ctory.img.

I do not have with me right now the computer that I used for the flashing, but I will check later today on it that the image is the right one, but I am 99.9 % sure as I checked it about 3 times before flashing!

Do you have a USB to TTL cable? If not it's worth the $10.00 for control over the firmware load processes and recovery.

Chadster766 wrote:
Chadster766 wrote:

Do you have a USB to TTL cable? If not it's worth the $10.00 for control over the firmware load processes and recovery.

Even if he flashed the wrong image, he has no one to blame but himself because he refuses to read and follow the WRT1900 wiki...

Since I haven't read about any other user missing the wifi tab on 15.05 final or RC3 [nor RC2 or RC1], he's doing something wrong, of which he wouldn't be if he actually took the 10 - 15 minutes to read the applicable sections in the Wiki.  It would be different if he was having difficulties understanding something or needed help with issues that aren't clearly spelled out in the Wiki, however every single one of his issues [except his LAN issue] stem from him either refusing to read the applicable sections in the Wiki, and in one instance, completely disregarding what he read. 

Helping someone with the amount of problems he has, all of which, but one, stem from not reading the wiki, enforces the ideology end users don't need to read prior to doing something they've never done before, with the expectation they will be helped regardless.  If an end user doesn't want to make the most basic, minimal effort and take the 10 - 15 minutes to read a very simple wiki, then they should go to Best Buy, Staples, or Office Max/Office Depot and buy tech support to have them do it for the end user... but simply absolving the end user of their own personal responsibility is not the solution.

• In conjunction with the abject refusal to have personal responsibility, Wikis require time to write... time other community members take out of their lives to write a wiki, or add to one, in order to help their fellow members and other users.  It's a spit in the face, while flipping the bird, to every other community member when new users refuse to read the applicable sections of a wiki that's been consolidated from the more than 7,800 posts on this thread and then post paragraph after paragraph of issues resulting from that refusal.  It's disrespectful to every other member, and a spit in the face to every member that contributed to that wiki.

(Last edited by JW0914 on 29 Sep 2015, 17:43)

Chadster766 wrote:

No I don't, but I thought about it.  I was trying to avoid that route as I was hopping that with the stable Chaos Calmer released mid-september that openWRT would be stable enough for a good testing to see if I could actually use it: for what I see, it is not there yet! Yes: I tend to have pink glasses!

I will get the USB to TTL cable eventually (I have to order it, or find it locally where I live).

Now, I will test a few other things before asking more questions:
- Flash the unit back to Linksys firmware (1.1.8) and then flash it again to the Chaos Calmer.  But first I will download again the image, just in case the copy that I have is bad.  I will also verify the checksum to make sure that everything is OK (yes: I know I should have checked first).

Thank you very much for your help and you do not have to answer back (unless you want to).  After some additional tests, that will hopefully be successful, I will come back to the board to ask other questions if needed!  I know now that it is not normal for me to not have Network/Wifi in my fresh installation!  I assumed that much, but I wanted to confirm it!

Thanks again for the positive and constructive feedback!

For those having WIFI issues with openwrt firmware and Apple devices; I suggest you read this story. It could save you from data overage charges if a cell device is switched from home WIFI to a cell tower because of a crappy WIFI connection. (WRT1900AC openwrt & Belkin driver issues)

An article was posted by CBC NEWS online (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) http://cbc.ca/news .

"Apple iOS 9 feature Wi-Fi Assist could lead to huge iPhone bills" here:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/apple … -1.3248364

The article:

If you've upgraded to iOS 9, you should be aware that it comes with a new feature – enabled by default – that could make your next wireless bill a lot bigger.

Wi-Fi Assist automatically switches your phone from Wi-Fi to a cellular connection when the Wi-Fi signal is poor. That's helpful if you're in the middle of watching a video or some other task on the internet that you don't want interrupted by spotty Wi-Fi service.

"But this also means eating through your 500 MB data cap without knowing it," warns the IT department at McGill University in Montreal, which suggests that users may want to disable Wi-Fi Assist.

The new feature means you may be consuming data from your data plan at times when you think you're on Wi-Fi. If your data plan isn't unlimited, that may result in overage charges – in Canada, that's typically five cents per megabyte or $15 per 300 MB that you go over your data cap. (300 MB is what's required to stream a movie for 45 minutes, according to Bell's data calculator).

Chris Mills, a writer for the technology site Gizmodo, wrote that since he started testing the beta version of iOS 9, his data usage has increased by around a third.

"It's impossible to say if that extra usage is directly related to Wi-Fi Assist, but I have my suspicions," wrote Mills Tuesday.

He noted that during the past three days, his data usage has been 950 MB, and half is from Netflix, which he only used at home "using what I thought was WiFi."

So how do you turn Wi-Fi Assist off?
■Go into Settings.
■Choose Cellular.
■Scroll way down to Wi-Fi Assist.
■Switch the slider to the "off" position.

Rick

(Last edited by RickStep on 29 Sep 2015, 21:46)

jmlacroix wrote:
Chadster766 wrote:

No I don't, but I thought about it.  I was trying to avoid that route as I was hopping that with the stable Chaos Calmer released mid-september that openWRT would be stable enough for a good testing to see if I could actually use it: for what I see, it is not there yet! Yes: I tend to have pink glasses!

I will get the USB to TTL cable eventually (I have to order it, or find it locally where I live).

Now, I will test a few other things before asking more questions:
- Flash the unit back to Linksys firmware (1.1.8) and then flash it again to the Chaos Calmer.  But first I will download again the image, just in case the copy that I have is bad.  I will also verify the checksum to make sure that everything is OK (yes: I know I should have checked first).

Thank you very much for your help and you do not have to answer back (unless you want to).  After some additional tests, that will hopefully be successful, I will come back to the board to ask other questions if needed!  I know now that it is not normal for me to not have Network/Wifi in my fresh installation!  I assumed that much, but I wanted to confirm it!

Thanks again for the positive and constructive feedback!

OpenWRT has a persistent settings partition that should probably be wiped if it doesn't work straight away after firmware upload.

To revert OpenWRT to default settings run the below command and reboot.
"rm -rf /overlay/*"

Chadster766 wrote:

"rm -rf /overlay/*"

I've updated the wiki with the above information

When I asked about bandwidth monitoring I was told not to use BandwidthD as it uses a lot of CPU resources. So since I have now one of the most powerful routers I am going to ask again. Do you think BandwidthD could be installed on openwrt and used on my WRT1900 AC router?

JW0914 wrote:
Chadster766 wrote:

"rm -rf /overlay/*"

Wouldn't running 'firstboot' be more correct? I use it all the time to go back to default settings.

JW0914 wrote:
Chadster766 wrote:

"rm -rf /overlay/*"

And if you have NO ACCESS to the OS

Use Failsafe http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/generic.failsafe

And use the same command "rm -rf /overlay/*"

jmlacroix wrote:

OK: I finally got it: the flash image was damaged (the MD5SUM did not checked out)!  I got a new copy, put the unit back to the Linksys system and flashed it back again with a correct (i.e.: with the MD5SUM OK) file.  It seems now that I will be OK.

Thanks for those that helped me figure out this problem and now I will be able to proceed!

All the problems that I reported the last couple of days are solved: I have Network/Wifi, the gateway is working fine!

Id0n0tunderstand wrote:

When I asked about bandwidth monitoring I was told not to use BandwidthD as it uses a lot of CPU resources. So since I have now one of the most powerful routers I am going to ask again. Do you think BandwidthD could be installed on openwrt and used on my WRT1900 AC router?

Bandwidthd activities can basically be decomposed in 4 activities:
1- Monitor a port
2- Write the data somewhere
3- Analyze the data
4- Plot the graph

In the default setting of Bandwidthd, the computer withBandwidthd does all these things, which can take quite a good amount of CPU.

On the various distributions of Linux, Bandwidthd can also save the data on a postgresql database that can be on another computer and that computer can actually perform the data analysis and the graphs.

I do not know whether the Bandwidthd package in openWRT can do that storage on a postgresql server, but if it does, then this could be done to reduce the amount of power required by the router to use Bandwidthd.  It is a little bit more complicated to setup Bandwidthd that way, but it actually works pretty well.  If it can be done on openWRT, then maybe it is a solution to reduce the load on the router.

Additional information since I posted: the bandwidthd package does not seem to be an available package for a WRT1900AC v1.  So, for the time being, it is not an option!

(Last edited by jmlacroix on 30 Sep 2015, 00:08)

Id0n0tunderstand wrote:

I do bandwidth, CPU, RAM, LinkState, Bandwidth, monitoring, but use SNMP instead. 

With SNMP it's as easy as installing the snmpd package, and then using a client, installed on a PC for example, to poll the router for the stats. The snmpd daemon really uses minimal CPU so no issues there.

Let me know if you are interested in giving it a try, and I'll walk you through it. The client I use is HP SiteScope Community edition as it is free. SiteScope community can keep 30 days worth of data. It graphs, can send alerts and stuff like that.

Example of how this interface looks like.
http://personalpages.tds.net/~davidc502 … apture.PNG

The monitors that say the type "Script" use ssh to log into the router, and grab the stats that way.

(Last edited by davidc502 on 30 Sep 2015, 01:38)

Any word on a new wifi driver. im still on the older one as the new one had issues with Apple devices and we were told to revert back.
The new driver was giving me much faster AC wifi speeds than the current version. Hopefully Marvel is still working on that?

alirz wrote:

Any word on a new wifi driver. im still on the older one as the new one had issues with Apple devices and we were told to revert back.
The new driver was giving me much faster AC wifi speeds than the current version. Hopefully Marvel is still working on that?

Good question. Also, seems very quiet since Final came out. I'm wondering if there's going to be any fixes to final as it has shown tendencies to crash a lot more than RC3.

davidc502 wrote:

Let me know if you are interested in giving it a try, and I'll walk you through it. The client I use is HP SiteScope Community edition as it is free. SiteScope community can keep 30 days worth of data. It graphs, can send alerts and stuff like that.

@davidc502
You've piqued my curiosity and I have just downloaded SiteScope.  Although, I will be trying to run it on Linux. 

Thanks for the tip. wink

Sorry, posts 7876 to 7875 are missing from our archive.