OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Update on Linksys WRT1900AC support

The content of this topic has been archived between 16 Sep 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

tdw.hbp wrote:

Mount points shows up but the hard drive I have is not seen

Configure fstab with the command in my prior post, using the fstab in extroot as an example.  Once you've edited and saved fstab, reboot the router

Also, what filesystem is the hdd formatted with?

(Last edited by JW0914 on 1 Oct 2015, 09:51)

tdw.hbp wrote:
JW0914 wrote:
tdw.hbp wrote:

Mount points shows up but the hard drive I have is not seen

Configure fstab with the command in my prior post, using the fstab in extroot as an example.  Once you've edited and saved fstab, reboot the

Also, what filesystem is the hdd formatted with?

vi editor always messes up my router I have to clue how to use that crap

If you'd do what I've suggested 3 times now, you'd see how to use vi, as its explained in extroot Wiki under Chaos Calmer. 

...what is it with new users asking for help, then refusing to listen to someone trying to help them

(Last edited by JW0914 on 1 Oct 2015, 10:09)

tdw.hbp wrote:

I am trying what I found on that page but it is like droping a monkey in Paris and asking them to speak fluent french in a hour... what I am telling you is my ability to use vi is limited... I have killed my fstab 6 times trying... I am trying to follow...

It's not complicated... You have to change a 0 to a 1 and type in the Mount point, save, and reboot.

This assumes the drive is already partitioned and it should be something other than ntfs... Except for that, all is clearly spelled out in the wiki (I know, because I wrote the Chaos Calmer section).

(Last edited by JW0914 on 1 Oct 2015, 10:08)

tdw.hbp wrote:

I have tried... what I am telling you is the vi commands listed keep breaking my file... "" i for edit "" try to edit things and half the file disappears...  can I use the option  uuid    'c91232a0-c50a-4eae-adb9-14b4d3ce3de1 info?
can I copy/paste in vi?
I am at my wits end... I am trying to understand more than a code monkey / internet paste wizard... I am saying I want to understand what the info in the wiki means not just copy and paste...

my drive was formated to ntfs using disks in ubuntu...

There are a myriad of tutorials online, as well as a myriad of cheat sheets, on how to use vi... the fact that you say "...vi commands listed keep breaking my file" indicates you're not following what the steps told you to do (i.e. "i" to edit, "alt:wq" to save and exit out of vi). 

This is CLEARLY stated in Step 4... perhaps you can enlighten me as to how "Edit the following in fstab (" i " to edit, save via " alt: " then " :wq ")" is difficult to follow.

I would encourage you to read back through my posts and follow what I stated, as I didn't say the wiki applies to you, only the specific portions I directed you to... you have all the answers to get what you need done done, but I'm not going to repeatedly repeat myself due to your refusal to read.  I don't mind helping people, but I have little patience for continually repeating the same information over and over again, only to have the individual being helped totally disregard the answer to their problem because they can't be bothered to read.

Have a wonderful day =]

(Last edited by JW0914 on 1 Oct 2015, 10:43)

JW0914 wrote:
tdw.hbp wrote:

I have tried... what I am telling you is the vi commands listed keep breaking my file... "" i for edit "" try to edit things and half the file disappears...  can I use the option  uuid    'c91232a0-c50a-4eae-adb9-14b4d3ce3de1 info?
can I copy/paste in vi?
I am at my wits end... I am trying to understand more than a code monkey / internet paste wizard... I am saying I want to understand what the info in the wiki means not just copy and paste...

There are a myriad of tutorials online, as well as a myriad of cheat sheets, on how to use vi... the fact that you say "...vi commands listed keep breaking my file" indicates you're not following what the steps told you to do (i.e. "i" to edit, "alt:wq" to save and exit out of vi). 

This is CLEARLY stated in Step 4... perhaps you can enlighten me as to how "Edit the following in fstab (" i " to edit, save via " alt: " then " :wq ")" is difficult to follow.

I would encourage you to read back through my posts and follow what I stated, as I didn't say the wiki applies to you, only the specific portions I directed you to... you have all the answers to get what you need done done, but I'm not going to repeatedly repeat myself due to your refusal to read.  I don't mind helping people, but I have little patience for continually repeating the same information over and over again, only to have the individual being helped totally disregard the answer to their problem because they can't be bothered to read.

Have a wonderful day =]

sorry to waste your time... my file is gone my ability to do anything is crushed and I give up... atempting to edit the file messes me up the cheat sheets I found only helped me mess crap up more my damn file only is half there I AM READY TO GIVE UP ON oPEN wrt  I have removed all my stupid Non reading comments to clean the forum.
again atempting to do this I am left witha broken fstab

config 'global'
        option  anon_swap       '0'
        option  anon_mount      '0'
        option  auto_swap       '1'
        option  auto_mount      '1'
        option  delay_root      '5'
        option  check_fs        '0'

is all i have in the file...
I quit.

TDW

tdw.hbp wrote:
JW0914 wrote:
tdw.hbp wrote:

can I copy/paste in vi?

Have a wonderful day =]

sorry to waste your time... my file is gone my ability to do anything is crushed and I give up... atempting to edit the file messes me up the cheat sheets I found only helped me mess crap up more my damn file only is half there I AM READY TO GIVE UP ON oPEN wrt  I have removed all my stupid Non reading comments to clean the forum.

config 'global'

I quit.

TDW

If that's your output after

block detect > /etc/config/fstab ; vi /etc/config/fstab

then your drive isn't recognized... ensure you have the right filesystem package installed, and if so, try rebooting the router.

JW0914 wrote:

then your drive isn't recognized... ensure you have the right filesystem package installed, and if so, try rebooting the router.

last Question...
could running this:

umount /mnt/usb   #make sure the disk isn't mounted before doing this
touch /mnt/usb/USB_DISK_NOT_PRESENT
chmod 555 /mnt/usb 
chmod 444 /mnt/usb/USB_DISK_NOT_PRESENT

with the drive plugged in be my issue? is so i there a fix?
I reformatted the drive and still not showing up but a different one does

(Last edited by tdw.hbp on 1 Oct 2015, 11:01)

tdw.hbp wrote:
JW0914 wrote:

last Question...
could running this:

umount /mnt/usb   #make sure the disk isn't mounted before doing this
touch /mnt/usb/USB_DISK_NOT_PRESENT
chmod 555 /mnt/usb 
chmod 444 /mnt/usb/USB_DISK_NOT_PRESENT

with the drive plugged in be my issue? is so i there a fix?

I'm not sure where you got those commands from, but I don't believe so... i'm assuming from a tutorial prior to block-mount being incorporated.  Since nothing is mounted in /mnt/usb, remove and recreate it with

rm -Rf /mnt/usb ; mkdir /mnt/usb

If your HDD is recognized, it will show up under /dev as sdax where x is the partition number

ls /dev

If it's not showing up in /dev, then your HDD isn't recognized.  Have you tried rebooting the router since installing the applicable kmod-fs-xxx (as I've suggested numerous times because a reboot is required to load the kernel mod for the file system)?

(Last edited by JW0914 on 1 Oct 2015, 11:09)

that code was from:
http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/usb.storage

while I was trying to get the drives working... I am having issues following the Open Wrt Wiki...

understanding open wrt is much harder than tomato... 

all I wanted to do is use Luci with a Json enabled  program, have a mindnla and nas... all I have done is format my router 15 times and screw up settings/ make it useless...
very frustrating.

yes I normally reboot after any changes  " unknown" to me

TDW

(Last edited by tdw.hbp on 1 Oct 2015, 11:26)

tdw.hbp wrote:

that code was from:

while I was trying to get the drives working... I am having issues following the Open Wrt Wiki...

all I wanted to do is use Luci with a Json enabled  program, have a mindnla and nas... all I have done is format my router 15 times and screw up settings/ make it useless...
very frustrating.

TDW

Since I've asked you numerous times whether you've rebooted or not and you ignore the question, I'm done helping.  I encourage you to listen/read more attentively, as you've turned a 5 minute problem into a huge issue due to your refusal to read and listen.  Have a wonderful day =]

JW0914 wrote:
tdw.hbp wrote:

that code was from:

very frustrating.

TDW

Since I've asked you numerous times whether you've rebooted or not and you ignore the question, I'm done helping.  I encourage you to listen/read more attentively, as you've turned a 5 minute problem into a huge issue due to your refusal to read and listen.  Have a wonderful day =]

sorry I have been beating this thing for a month before joining here... please do not confuse  not understanding with not trying to learn... I have read the wiki, I am not a coder I am not super smart but I try I fail and I try again... I have reloaded the stock FW on my device many times... I just do not get why some of this is so hard and the the wrt 1900ac wiki does not have the "walk through I need just how to load the FW... loading everyother thing I am looking for is proving harder than I feel it is worth...

jmlacroix wrote:
Id0n0tunderstand wrote:

Some of you guys may remember me for having an issue connection to my router with the openwrt install. I still have the same issue but I resolved the problem for the time being by being connected to the new router/modem that the ISP gave me.

So I started wondering since I have this awesome and powerful router that is blazing fast but being connected to a cheap modem/router device that maybe the first device is acting as a bottle neck? Do you think I am better of with just a modem because when I called the ISP that said that they could give me a device that is just the modem if I wanted it. In fact the technician believed that it was wrong for me to connect a router to there modem/router but it does seem to work with out any issues. So I think I am going to stick to this set up for the time being unless you guys think that the modem/router that the ISP gave me is like a donkey and I have a horse in the barn.

Can you put the modem/router in bridge mode and bypass the router part of it and use your openWRT to make the connection to the ISP (through PPPoE for example)?

That is not possible with out ISP. That is why the offered to get me the device with just the modem but thanks on replying to me about bandwidthD on openwrt. I guess the best option is to use some firewall linux distro and set that up on it instead. I guess I can still do this.

Why has no one suggested this guy loads up WinSCP (or similar) so he can WYSIWYG his way through the instructions instead of berating his inability at Vi?

RickStep wrote:

A MESSAAGE to Chadster766; you are at this point a "TWO Faced Son of a BITCH"

I thought you were trying to help this board; and it seems that you are in the pocket of Belkin.

Rick

I am an independent contractor for IT Services and Belkin\Linksys is one of my customers. For the most part they only contract me for forums support. Since I say and do what I think is right this sometimes gets me in hot water with them.

OpenWRT McWRT is my personal work obviously. I hacked together the wlan-v7 driver for OpenWRT AA and it is an alternative to the Belkin OpenWRT firmware versions. This was an effort to help OpenWRT forum users and myself since one of the companies I'm IT Admin for has many WRT1900AC V1 routers that were not functioning well with the Linksys Stock firmware or OpenWRT at the time.

I'm sorry that you think I've done wrong but if you wanted to know my affiliation with Belkin\Linksys you had but to ask.

tdw.hbp wrote:
JW0914 wrote:
tdw.hbp wrote:

can I copy/paste in vi?

Have a wonderful day =]

config 'global'

I quit.

TDW

I have trouble with vi as well  ... install nano much easier to work with.

Lantis wrote:

Why has no one suggested this guy loads up WinSCP (or similar) so he can WYSIWYG his way through the instructions instead of berating his inability at Vi?

I didn't berate him, and you don't have to have any experience with vi to simply follow a step by step instruction guide. 

When I wrote the Chaos Calmer portion of the extroot wiki, I explicitly gave clear and concise directions on how to edit fstab with vi... this is exactly why I referred him to the fstab portion of the extroot wiki - he simply refused to read it not once or twice, but more than 3 separate times.

• I included the vi commands needed solely because I wanted to ensure users with no prior experience would be able to easily follow the wiki instructions

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't force it to drink...

Exactly how much simplier should it have to be stated?  [If anyone has a suggestion, I'd be happy to listen]

• Windows: " i " to edit, save via " alt: " then " :wq "

• *nix Distro: " i " to edit, save via " esc " then " :wq "

1. block detect > /etc/config/fstab ; vi /etc/config/fstab

2. change applicable mount target to mount point

3. change applicable mount enabled to 1

4. save, exit, and reboot

If an end user can't follow simple, clear and concise instructions, then maybe they should be paying a tech support company to do it for them.

• While you make a great suggestion, [under the premise winscp isn't installed] it's also more steps and therefore inefficient, ergo more complicated, to do so

• Does vi have a learning curve, most definitely... but when a guide tells you exactly what to do, and what commands to enter, the difficulties of learning vi is taken out of the equation.

(Last edited by JW0914 on 1 Oct 2015, 19:02)

tdw.hbp

JW0914 wrote:

Here is a tutorial on how to use vi: http://www.washington.edu/computing/unix/vi.html

As for the instruction of JW0914 above: I never used myself the "alt" to go back in command mode.  Maybe it works on some vi editor or terminal emulator, but it sure does not work for me on Teraterm when logged on my WRT1900AC or my linux computers.  Therefore using it for me would be very difficult if not impossible!  The normal way to go back in command mode is to use the Esc key (see the tutorial above).  Therefore, to edit a file in vi, press "i" to go in insert mode, edit your text, then press the Esc key to go back in command mode, then ":wq".  If you found, before saving, that you made a mistake and want to cancel the whole edition and quit, press ":q!" instead of ":wq".  This has worked for me for the last 20 years in any terminal that I used.

Maybe JW0914 would shed some light on how to use the alt key to go back in command mode.

(Last edited by jmlacroix on 1 Oct 2015, 18:44)

jmlacroix wrote:

tdw.hbp

JW0914 wrote:

Here is a tutorial on how to use vi: http://www.washington.edu/computing/unix/vi.html

As for the instruction of JW0914 above: I never used myself the "alt" to go back in command mode.  Maybe it works on some vi editor or terminal emulator, but it sure does not work for me on Teraterm when logged on my WRT1900AC or my linux computers.  Therefore using it for me would be very difficult if not impossible!  The normal way to go back in command mode is to use the Esc key (see the tutorial above).  Therefore, to edit a file in vi, press "i" to go in insert mode, edit your text, then press the Esc key to go back in command mode, then ":wq".  If you found, before saving, that you made a mistake and want to cancel the whole edition and quit, press ":q!" instead of ":wq".  This has worked for me for the last 20 years in any terminal that I used.

Maybe JW0914 would shed some light on how to use the alt key to go back in command mode.

Thanks for mentioning that, I'll add that to the wiki showing both the way in Windows and *nix based distros =]  (I've also added the link the wiki as well)

I've always used PuTTY in Windows, which requires alt: to re-enter command mode if you've exited it to edit.  If @tdw.hbp mentioned he was using a *nix distro, I overlooked it and owe him an apology, as I thought he was using Windows.

(Last edited by JW0914 on 1 Oct 2015, 19:24)

JW0914 wrote:
jmlacroix wrote:

tdw.hbp

JW0914 wrote:

Thanks for mentioning that, I'll add that to the wiki showing both the way in Windows and *nix based distros =]  (I've also added the link the wiki as well)

I've always used PuTTY in Windows, which requires alt: to re-enter command mode if you've exited it to edit.  If @tdw.hbp mentioned he was using a *nix distro, I overlooked it and owe him an apology, as I thought he was using Windows.

This was half my issue... The other was an 18 hour work shift, coming home and fighting my router using linux... Don't try to code tired you will break things...

Also looking at this with fresh eyes I did manage to recover use of the harddrive...

TDW

(Last edited by tdw.hbp on 1 Oct 2015, 21:05)

Lantis wrote:

Time to learn something smile....How do i use SCP to edit files?. ...i've just been using Joe or VI for years.
Using WinSCP, i set the protocol to SCP.

It connects just fine. But if i double click on a file to edit it just comes back with: Cannot execute SCP to start file transfer.

Is there something i need to enable / install on the openwrt box to enable SCP?

I did a quick google, and maybe i just need more coffee, but i didnt find an answer that seemed to be what i was looking for

thanks in advance

cheers
Andrew

scp is used for file transfers... You can copy it to your desktop... modify..... and copy it back.

davidc502 wrote:

scp is used for file transfers... You can copy it to your desktop... modify..... and copy it back.

Thanks David
hahaha, the simple answer is often the best smile...Thats what i had previously thought, Though with the post above i thought i had missed  some sort of trick where winSCP might handle that behind the scenes giving the impression of editing the file directly.

cheers
Andrew

Sorry guys, ive read as much as i can but with sooooo much discussion on a single thread this is hard.

so, my question...

Are there known wifi stability problems using the 15.05 CC Release version? (1900acV1)
i have been experiencing regular loss of wifi since i recently moved home (and co-incidentally also went to 15.05 RC3 and now Final). wired stays up, but unfortunately all my devices are wireless. d'oh!.

If not, when this does happen again which logs should i capture and examine to help narrow down the issue before i restart the thing?

Thanks All

JW0914 wrote:

Exactly how much simplier should it have to be stated?  [If anyone has a suggestion, I'd be happy to listen]

• Windows: " i " to edit, save via " alt: " then " :wq "

• *nix Distro: " i " to edit, save via " esc " then " :wq "

Actually JW0914 it is not entirely true: the alt: works on PuTTY, but it does not work on another terminal application: Teraterm Pro: on this application that work on Windows, the alt: does not work!  But the Esc key works.  As for PuTTY, yes the alt: works, but so is the Esc key.

I far as I know, the Esc key works all the time, but maybe you know an application where you must absolutely use alt:.

(Last edited by jmlacroix on 2 Oct 2015, 00:01)

RickStep wrote:

Over a year ago Chadster766 was working to provide "working with AA (not BB or CC)" to find a way to use the Linksys (Belkin) binary driver" and make it work in openwrt.

AA lapsed BB never got traction and we are now at CC.

I have some serious questions:

1.  Are the days of openwrt past the point where they can demand that "openwrt will 'only work with source code and not a binary'.

if the source is open, someone can take he source and make it work with closed binaries and we can't prevent them from doing so while still keeping the code open.

The Belkin driver will work perfectly with OpenWRT, if you use an old one that has the right kernel. But even having the source to that code doesn't magically make it work with newer kernels, and depending on what it does, it may not be acceptable to even try and get it upstream