OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Update on Linksys WRT1900AC support

The content of this topic has been archived between 16 Sep 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

galballyj wrote:

Sorry guys, ive read as much as i can but with sooooo much discussion on a single thread this is hard.

so, my question...

Are there known wifi stability problems using the 15.05 CC Release version? (1900acV1)
i have been experiencing regular loss of wifi since i recently moved home (and co-incidentally also went to 15.05 RC3 and now Final). wired stays up, but unfortunately all my devices are wireless. d'oh!.

If not, when this does happen again which logs should i capture and examine to help narrow down the issue before i restart the thing?

Thanks All

Yes, there are known to be problems with the 15.05 CC release on the 1900/1200 routers.
Many people report that RC3 worked better.
We know that there is a wifi firmware blog change between the two and the old version seems to work better.

drewgarth2 wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

scp is used for file transfers... You can copy it to your desktop... modify..... and copy it back.

Thanks David
hahaha, the simple answer is often the best smile...Thats what i had previously thought, Though with the post above i thought i had missed  some sort of trick where winSCP might handle that behind the scenes giving the impression of editing the file directly.

cheers
Andrew

Make sure whatever you use to edit maintains the Linux file format. Notepad++ is good for this. Specifically "EOL conversion".
Alternatively WinSCP has a text editor inside it in my experience.

JW0914 wrote:

If an end user can't follow simple, clear and concise instructions, then maybe they should be paying a tech support company to do it for them.

As a developer and someone who has spent a long time in customer service my tolerance/patience levels are incredibly high. It's just a difference of view in how to help people. Not saying yours is the wrong way. Sometimes offering a different approach if it is available is very helpful. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

Anyway this is off topic now.
Cheers.

Lantis wrote:

As a developer and someone who has spent a long time in customer service my tolerance/patience levels are incredibly high. It's just a difference of view in how to help people. Not saying yours is the wrong way. Sometimes offering a different approach if it is available is very helpful. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

Thanks, that's a good point =]

(Last edited by JW0914 on 2 Oct 2015, 01:34)

drewgarth2 wrote:
Lantis wrote:

Why has no one suggested this guy loads up WinSCP (or similar) so he can WYSIWYG his way through the instructions instead of berating his inability at Vi?

Time to learn something smile....How do i use SCP to edit files?. ...i've just been using Joe or VI for years.
Using WinSCP, i set the protocol to SCP.

It connects just fine. But if i double click on a file to edit it just comes back with: Cannot execute SCP to start file transfer.

Is there something i need to enable / install on the openwrt box to enable SCP?

I did a quick google, and maybe i just need more coffee, but i didnt find an answer that seemed to be what i was looking for

thanks in advance

cheers
Andrew

Winscp does allow editing I do it all the time directly no transfer needed or if it does it is seamless you just have to post changes.
I use the internal editor that is built in.

redwolf wrote:

Guys, I'm having a really odd problem with the stable CC release on wrt1900ac. I have at least somewhat adequate speeds on the local lan, but going to the outside world from a wifi client is really slow. Going to the outside world from a wired client is just fine (I have uverse dsl with bonded lines, so 38-54 Mbp/s is acceptable).

Here's an example:

----- Local Wired Client -----
$ speedtest-cli
Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
Testing from AT&T U-verse (X.X.X.X)...
Selecting best server based on latency...
Hosted by Some Connection (Somewhere) [107.17 km]: 49.972 ms
Testing download speed........................................
Download: 39.36 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed..................................................
Upload: 5.16 Mbit/s

----- Local Wireless Client -----
$ speedtest-cli
Testing from AT&T U-verse (X.X.X.X)…
Hosted by Some Connection (Somewhere) [107.17 km]: 38.896 ms
Download: 8.04 Mbit/s
Upload: 5.24 Mbit/s

—- Running speediest-cli from the wrt1900ac v2 directly ——
speedtest-cli
Hosted by Some Connection (Somewhere) [107.17 km]: 39.163 ms
Download: 36.93 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed...

—- iperf from same wireless client to local wired machine ——
$ iperf -c 192.168.1.2
------------------------------------------------------------
Client connecting to  192.168.1.2, TCP port 5001
TCP window size:  129 KByte (default)
[  4] local 192.168.1.3 port 60861 connected with 192.168.1.2 port 5001
[ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
[  4]  0.0-10.0 sec   127 MBytes   107 Mbits/sec

—— iperf from wrt1900ac v2 shell to local wired machine ——
iperf -c 192.168.1.2
Client connecting to 192.168.1.2, TCP port 5001
TCP window size: 43.8 KByte (default)
[  3] local 192.168.1.6 port 42042 connected with 192.168.1.2 port 5001
[  3]  0.0-10.0 sec   977 MBytes   819 Mbits/sec

My UVerse router shows MTU to be 1500. OpenWRT shows MTU across all interfaces to be 1500. I’ve done nothing fancy, no qos or anything.

This happens across both 802.11ac and 802.11n radios.

Please help….I’m at my wit’s end. ;-)

I have a very similar issue with my WRT1200ac with stable CC release. I am on 50 Mbps cable internet and the wired connection between my router and computer is constantly stable and can reach that speed all the time using speedtest.net. However on wifi clients I was only able to reach that speed for a brief moment (a few minutes) after the router was rebooted, after then the speed from my wifi clients to speedtest.net would drop to less than 20 Mbps. However iperf test between router/local wired client to wifi clients was always stable at around 200 Mbps for 5Ghz ac mode. No qos or anything similar either, as I didn't install any packages which seemed to affect wifi connection speed.

Hello,
i hope this is the right thread to post, didn't want to start a new.

I am trying to use the Router with two (2) external non stock antennas connected via cables. Is there any known way, to switch off the other two transmitters as they cannot be used?
For clarification, i´ll use it in a metal housing alongside a bunch of other electronics with the WLAN antennas on the outside. I want to eleminate the risk of any interference inside my housing.

Any  information is highly appreciated, thanks in advance, ikda

Sorry, I have no idea for the problem.

sony xperia z5 premium hülle

(Last edited by FiQYUU on 3 Oct 2015, 09:31)

ikda wrote:

Hello,
i hope this is the right thread to post, didn't want to start a new.

I am trying to use the Router with two (2) external non stock antennas connected via cables. Is there any known way, to switch off the other two transmitters as they cannot be used?
For clarification, i´ll use it in a metal housing alongside a bunch of other electronics with the WLAN antennas on the outside. I want to eleminate the risk of any interference inside my housing.

Any  information is highly appreciated, thanks in advance, ikda

You can use external antennas and you can disable either 2.4GHz or 5GHz radio in LuCI.

nitroshift

dlang wrote:
galballyj wrote:

Sorry guys, ive read as much as i can but with sooooo much discussion on a single thread this is hard.

so, my question...

Are there known wifi stability problems using the 15.05 CC Release version? (1900acV1)
i have been experiencing regular loss of wifi since i recently moved home (and co-incidentally also went to 15.05 RC3 and now Final). wired stays up, but unfortunately all my devices are wireless. d'oh!.

If not, when this does happen again which logs should i capture and examine to help narrow down the issue before i restart the thing?

Thanks All

Yes, there are known to be problems with the 15.05 CC release on the 1900/1200 routers.
Many people report that RC3 worked better.
We know that there is a wifi firmware blog change between the two and the old version seems to work better.

I did read about that earlier on the thread and people saying that the .03 version was the one to have, when i checked that was the version i did have! sad

I had the same problem on RC3, that was the reason that prompted me to go looking for an update and then put the final on. Before i moved home i was running one of the pre-RC builds and had perfect stability on wifi.

is there a known "fix" i can follow? ie can i go back to a known good version or go forward to a newer fixed version?

This is all a bit of a problem for me as currently even my desktop PC is connected on wifi via a bridge as i dont have any wired options in this new house. my requirements are pretty simple i dont use the router for anything more complex than a simple wifi router and no extra packages installed over defaults.

shallpion wrote:

I have a very similar issue with my WRT1200ac with stable CC release. I am on 50 Mbps cable internet and the wired connection between my router and computer is constantly stable and can reach that speed all the time using speedtest.net. However on wifi clients I was only able to reach that speed for a brief moment (a few minutes) after the router was rebooted, after then the speed from my wifi clients to speedtest.net would drop to less than 20 Mbps. However iperf test between router/local wired client to wifi clients was always stable at around 200 Mbps for 5Ghz ac mode. No qos or anything similar either, as I didn't install any packages which seemed to affect wifi connection speed.

If you had the same ISP and were in the same area we would have identical setups -- WRT1200AC (15.05 CC) and a 50mbit downstream connection. I have noticed no decrease in WAN speed on wifi or wired connections. There seem to be a few wifi quirks with radios sometimes not restarting properly unless the router is rebooted. Other than that, i can say my experience has been stable and mostly pleasant so far. I did run into the 15.05 problem with ipsec and strongswan

Off topic - First post! (new to openwrt and like it so far)

(Last edited by bassblu on 2 Oct 2015, 21:01)

Just to let folks know. I have just upgraded my WRT1900 AC v1 with Chaos Calmer 15.05 and tested 5Ghz AC. My laptop has a 2x2 AC miniPCI card.

It got about 130 - 140 Mbps throughput, just exactly what I get from my other router which is 5Ghz but not AC standard.
It negotiates at much higher speeds (got 860 Mbps status), but only that max speed mentioned. Yes I know it shouldn'´t get that speed, but more than I got from the 5Ghz only router I guessed it should.

Another thing I've noticed is that when you try to change the channel bandwidth to 160 Mhz it doesn't work. It simply doesn't connect. Plus even if you try to revert the change back to 80 Mhz channel it doesn't work either. You have to reboot the router in order work again [looks like Windows smile].

My expectation running the default 80 Mhz channel was to get significantly more than I get from my other 5 Ghz A standard router with 40 Mhz channel.

If anyone has any suggestions please let us know.
Regards,

(Last edited by FREDY on 2 Oct 2015, 21:50)

The Marvell 88W8864 802.11ac chip doesn't support 160 Mhz.

FREDY wrote:

Just to let folks know. I have just upgraded my WRT1900 AC v1 with Chaos Calmer 15.05 and tested 5Ghz AC. My laptop has a 2x2 AC miniPCI card.

It got about 130 - 140 Mbps throughput, just exactly what I get from my other router which is 5Ghz but not AC standard.
It negotiates at much higher speeds (got 860 Mbps status), but only that max speed mentioned. Yes I know it shouldn'´t get that speed, but more than I got from the 5Ghz only router I guessed it should.

Another thing I've noticed is that when you try to change the channel bandwidth to 160 Mhz it doesn't work. It simply doesn't connect. Plus even if you try to revert the change back to 80 Mhz channel it doesn't work either. You have to reboot the router in order work again [looks like Windows smile].

My expectation running the default 80 Mhz channel was to get significantly more than I get from my other 5 Ghz A standard router with 40 Mhz channel.

If anyone has any suggestions please let us know.
Regards,

160mHz bandwidth doesn't exist, which is why it doesn't work (i.e. no hardware currently utilizes a 160mHz channel width, and if I recall right, even though it's in the options, the WRT1900's radio drivers don't either).

In order to take advantage of 40mHz/80mHz channel width, the wifi card must also support VT/VHT [respectively].  There's also only a handful of channels in the 5gHz spectrum that transmit on a 40mHz channel width and none that transfer on a 80mHz width.  You can see this by checking out the status page, which shows the channel width of the clients connected. 

In order to obtain optimal wireless speeds, the wifi card driver settings must be tweaked to match certain settings to the router's.  However, if you flashed 15.05 final you may want to flash RC3 as, currently, it's more stable.

You may already know this, but if you don't, the antenna positions greatly affect the speed you'll be able to obtain.  They take a bit of tweaking to get just right, and it took me ~5 minutes of going back and forth between the the status page and the router to make minor adjustments to the antennas while watching the noise level and the registered speeds.

(Last edited by JW0914 on 2 Oct 2015, 22:14)

Just a silly question, would there be more CC releases to fix bugs or we have to go the DD route?

Hobb wrote:

Just a silly question, would there be more CC releases to fix bugs or we have to go the DD route?

I would imagine there will be further updates to CC, especially since it appears a lot of the bugs in CC 15.05 Final are due to the radio drivers.

As far as every single bug, probably not due to everyone not having the same the exact same hardware since the routers were created in batches by Linksys.  It's been hypothesized this is the reason why some have issues others don't.

(Last edited by JW0914 on 2 Oct 2015, 22:27)

Thanks JW0914,

I suspected about that 160 Mhz.
However even in a like to like (5Ghz AN x 5Ghz AC) with 40 Mhz channel it should still get better speeds, I would guess.

The Wireless card has VHT (It's a Intel Wireless AC 7260) and it's enabled in the driver settings.

None that transfer on 80 Mhz ? Didn't get that part. Where is the limitation ? In the router, in the router driver, in the laptop card or in the laptop card driver ?

Yes, I heard about the RC3, and aim try it. Is anyone already working on it in Trunk so I can try that instead ?

Regards,
Fernando

FREDY wrote:

Thanks JW0914,

I suspected about that 160 Mhz.
However even in a like to like (5Ghz AN x 5Ghz AC) with 40 Mhz channel it should still get better speeds, I would guess.

The Wireless card has VHT (It's a Intel Wireless AC 7260) and it's enabled in the driver settings.

None that transfer on 80 Mhz ? Didn't get that part. Where is the limitation ? In the router, in the router driver, in the laptop card or in the laptop card driver ?

Yes, I heard about the RC3, and aim try it. Is anyone already working on it in Trunk so I can try that instead ?

Regards,
Fernando

As far as a technical response to the 80mHz question, I don't know.  I know I haven't seen a single 5gHz channel in the 150 channel range (which is the optimal range for ac) transfer at anything other than a 20mHz channel width on the WRT1900.  Generally, the 40mHz comes in on the upper/lower channel options, which the WRT1900 doesn't have.  The only way to utilize upper/lower on the WRT1900 is to select auto, which generally isn't a good option for anyone, [generally] leading to a degradation in performance.

Right, looks like that's it.

Have changed to Auto (got Channel 36 - 5.180 Ghz) and 40 Mhz - it negotiated at 400 Mbps
Then kept Auto (got the same channel) and set 80 Mhz - it negotiated at max 866.7 Mbps

The max throughput speed in both cases was still around  100 Mbps (less than on non-AC router)
This looks pretty strange because I remember that with a previous firmware before CC release I had got 170 Mbps throughput with a Google Nexus 5 phone.

Therefore for now I can only think that is something with the router Wifi driver.
If anyone is working on it in Trunk give us a shout and will post the results.

Thanks.

(Last edited by FREDY on 2 Oct 2015, 22:53)

shallpion wrote:

Here's an example:

----- Local Wired Client -----
$ speedtest-cli
Testing from AT&T U-verse (X.X.X.X)...
Hosted by Some Connection (Somewhere) [107.17 km]: 49.972 ms
Download: 39.36 Mbit/s
Upload: 5.16 Mbit/s

----- Local Wireless Client -----
$ speedtest-cli
Hosted by Some Connection (Somewhere) [107.17 km]: 38.896 ms
Download: 8.04 Mbit/s
Upload: 5.24 Mbit/s

—- Running speediest-cli from the wrt1900ac v2 directly ——
speedtest-cli
Hosted by Some Connection (Somewhere) [107.17 km]: 39.163 ms
Download: 36.93 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed...

—- iperf from same wireless client to local wired machine ——
$ iperf -c 192.168.1.2
Client connecting to  192.168.1.2, TCP port 5001
TCP window size:  129 KByte (default)
[  4] local 192.168.1.3 port 60861 connected with 192.168.1.2 port 5001
[  4]  0.0-10.0 sec   127 MBytes   107 Mbits/sec

—— iperf from wrt1900ac v2 shell to local wired machine ——
iperf -c 192.168.1.2
Client connecting to 192.168.1.2, TCP port 5001
TCP window size: 43.8 KByte (default)
[  3] local 192.168.1.6 port 42042 connected with 192.168.1.2 port 5001
[  3]  0.0-10.0 sec   977 MBytes   819 Mbits/sec

My UVerse router shows MTU to be 1500. OpenWRT shows MTU across all interfaces to be 1500. I’ve done nothing fancy, no qos or anything.

This happens across both 802.11ac and 802.11n radios.

Please help….I’m at my wit’s end. ;-)

I just upgraded from 15.05 to trunk r47067. Possibly due to the update of mwlwifi to 10.3.0.8 now it appears to be working normally: I have been running heavy wifi testing (bittorrent downloads, youtube playing) on 5ghz ac radio for more than 10 hours and the wifi<->internet speed still looks normal. I will keep testing but so far this update appears to solve my problem. Great work!

@shallpion
Have you watched temps or softirq load? 10.3.0.8 seems to be a resource hog to me.
Using username "root".

BusyBox v1.23.2 (2015-09-25 08:26:14 UTC) built-in shell (ash)

_______                     ________        __
|       |.-----.-----.-----.|  |  |  |.----.|  |_
|   -   ||  _  |  -__|     ||  |  |  ||   _||   _|
|_______||   __|_____|__|__||________||__|  |____|
          |__| W I R E L E S S   F R E E D O M
-----------------------------------------------------
DESIGNATED DRIVER (Bleeding Edge, r47045)
  * 2 oz. Orange Juice         Combine all juices in a
  * 2 oz. Pineapple Juice      tall glass filled with
  * 2 oz. Grapefruit Juice     ice, stir well.
  * 2 oz. Cranberry Juice
root@OpenWrt:~# uptime
20:16:08 up 5 days,  9:40,  load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.04
root@OpenWrt:~#

But I swapped out the mwlwifi.ko for 10.3.0.3

bassblu wrote:
shallpion wrote:

If you had the same ISP and were in the same area we would have identical setups -- WRT1200AC (15.05 CC) and a 50mbit downstream connection. I have noticed no decrease in WAN speed on wifi or wired connections. There seem to be a few wifi quirks with radios sometimes not restarting properly unless the router is rebooted. Other than that, i can say my experience has been stable and mostly pleasant so far. I did run into the 15.05 problem with ipsec and strongswan

Off topic - First post! (new to openwrt and like it so far)

I am with time warner and I am at upstate new york:)

northbound wrote:

@shallpion
Have you watched temps or softirq load? 10.3.0.8 seems to be a resource hog to me.
Using username "root".

BusyBox v1.23.2 (2015-09-25 08:26:14 UTC) built-in shell (ash)

DESIGNATED DRIVER (Bleeding Edge, r47045)
  * 2 oz. Cranberry Juice
20:16:08 up 5 days,  9:40,  load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.04

But I swapped out the mwlwifi.ko for 10.3.0.3

So far I have not seen any temp anomaly. It was basically stale at

tmp421-i2c-0-4cAdapter
mv64xxx_i2c adaptertemp1
        +46.3°C  temp2
        +47.8°C 
armada_thermal-virtual-0Adapter
Virtual devicetemp1
        +73.2°C

and did not seem to change a lot. I also have similar system load as yours even during heavy wifi work. So far so good!

I will try newest version of trunk again but thanks to gufus I never see temps above 61 c with a mod in temp settings I made to his script. The  cpu usage was way high even swapping to cpu1 using 10.3.0.8 before mostely softirq. Will post results.

FREDY wrote:

Right, looks like that's it.

Have changed to Auto (got Channel 36 - 5.180 Ghz) and 40 Mhz - it negotiated at 400 Mbps
Then kept Auto (got the same channel) and set 80 Mhz - it negotiated at max 866.7 Mbps

The max throughput speed in both cases was still around  100 Mbps (less than on non-AC router)
This looks pretty strange because I remember that with a previous firmware before CC release I had got 170 Mbps throughput with a Google Nexus 5 phone.

Therefore for now I can only think that is something with the router Wifi driver.
If anyone is working on it in Trunk give us a shout and will post the results.

Thanks.

When it comes to 5gHz, it has a high level of degradation due to the physics of the actual bandwidth frequency.  Not only will metal and concrete/stone in between you and the router cause degradation (less likely if you're in a house), so will other frequencies near you.  If you have a cordless phone bought in the last 5 years, for instance, it probably operates on the 5gHz bandwidth.  If that's the case, you have to find the exact frequency the phone operates on and steer clear of that frequency on the router.  If you live in a neighborhood or condo/apt building, verify what other networks are broadcasting near you with InSSIDer.

I've never really paid attention to the actual tx/rx rate when transfering a file over wifi before due to other factors that could affect the speed (how many other processes and threads the cpu is processing, the type and format of the HDD being transferred from and to, etc.

• Transferring a 4GB iso from a SSD to a HDD zfs z1 zpool at ~30MB/s (240mbit/s), however I was also running a bunch of stuff on my server at the time and after finalizing, the speed increased to ~54MB/s (432mbit/s)

• Oddly enough, even though though the explorer window for file progress indicated ~30MB/s, OpenWRT's Status page indicated a transfer rate of 480mbit/s (60MB/s)... so this makes me question the validity of what the status page is reporting (unless I'm missing something here?)

• Transferring a 4GB iso from my HDD zfs z1 zpool to a SSD @ ~22MB/s (176mbit/s), while the OpenWRT Status page registers 526.6mbit/s (65.75MB/s)

EDIT
I know in the past, I've gotten better results by making minor position tweaks to the antennas (not just horizontal/vertical, but also 360 degrees).  There was a discussion somewhere in the 200 page range about antennas and what kind the WRT1900/1200 has... since the forum doesn't have thread search capabilities, I'd do a bit of searching on google to determine what kind of antennas the WRT1900 has and adjust it accordingly

• Some antennas broadcast/receive mostly linearly out of the tip with a small peripheral footprint, while others do the exact opposite

• I know at least 2 of the regular posters know what kind of antennas the WRT1900's are, but I can't remember who.

(Last edited by JW0914 on 3 Oct 2015, 12:53)

@shallpion

@ idle no downloads cpu 50% avg. Core 0. Core 1 @ 10%
Changing affinity. idle Core 0 1%  Core 1 35%
Thu Oct  1 15:53:49 2015 kern.info kernel: [   14.262451] <<Marvell 802.11ac Wireless Network Driver version 10.3.0.8>>

After swapping driver and a reboot.
Thu Oct  1 15:53:49 2015 kern.info kernel: [   13.717445] <<Marvell 802.11ac Wireless Network Driver version 10.3.0.3>>
@ idle both cpu 0 .7% and 1 .3% and lower .1%
using a 5 ghz ac connection on both tests
The above is using the processor tab on luci statistics.
Using username "root".

BusyBox v1.23.2 (2015-10-02 16:50:36 UTC) built-in shell (ash)

DESIGNATED DRIVER (Bleeding Edge, r47078)
  * 2 oz. Cranberry Juice
  22:52:31 up 21 min,  load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.04

My personal opinion is we need a proper mwlwifi.ko and marvel does not seem to want to supply it.
If they released the source code I am sure after reading what I have.  They, meaning the openwrt volunteer’s could make it

work properly.
Thanks to all for what you do for the community to support this router you know who you are.