OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Update on Linksys WRT1900AC support

The content of this topic has been archived between 16 Sep 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

anarky321 wrote:

when copying from attached usb drive to client the router quickly runs out of ram and either crashes or runs very slowly.....are there solutions to this? can i use a memory stick as a "ram expansion" of some kind?

install the full-blown ssh daemon instead of the dropbear package that's there by default

the limit of 'files that fit in ram' is a dropbear bug/feature

im only about 3 days into linux, if you could drop me the exact name of the opkg id really appreciate it

do i need to somehow disable or uninstall the dropbear package afterwards?

(Last edited by anarky321 on 19 Oct 2015, 20:31)

anarky321 wrote:

im only about 3 days into linux, if you could drop me the exact name of the opkg id really appreciate it

Although i'm not only about 3 days into Linux, i've been running into the same issue: transferring large files to a attaches USB-drive will slow down / halt the transfer eventually.

What package holds the "full-blown ssh deamon" and do i just remove  dropbear afterwards?

(Last edited by Nijntje on 19 Oct 2015, 20:41)

Nijntje wrote:
anarky321 wrote:

Although i'm not only about 3 days into Linux, i've been running into the same issue: transferring large files to a attaches USB-drive will slow down / halt the transfer eventually.

What package holds the "full-blown ssh deamon" and do i just remove  dropbear afterwards?

i think he meant 'openssh-server', im working through the install now

http://wiki.openwrt.org/inbox/replacing … nsshserver

(Last edited by anarky321 on 19 Oct 2015, 20:45)

anarky321 wrote:
Nijntje wrote:
anarky321 wrote:

i think he meant 'openssh-server', im working through the install now

http://wiki.openwrt.org/inbox/replacing … nsshserver

Lol just looked that page up, gonna try it tomorrow its bedtime for Nijntje now smile

(Last edited by Nijntje on 19 Oct 2015, 20:56)

it installed fine and i disabled dropbear but im still trying to figure out how to set it up to where the 2 drives automount on startup

edit: it's still messing up on router>client wifi transfer even after changing out the ssh server

(Last edited by anarky321 on 19 Oct 2015, 22:04)

doITright wrote:

Has anyone jumped to a recent build? 

I just upgraded to r47201 from cc final and have to report that the wifi perf is just horrible with the 10.3.08 driver.
Both 2.4 and 5 GHz are functional at maybe 80 % of cc final in terms of speed....

I tried to go back to the mwlwifi.ko from cc final, but wifi would not start (I must be missing something)???

Open to suggestions...

root@WRT1900AC-P:~# strings /lib/modules/*.*/mwlwifi.ko | grep "^10.3"
root@WRT1900AC-P:~# sensors
tmp421-i2c-0-4c
Adapter: mv64xxx_i2c adapter
temp1:        +40.1°C
temp2:        +40.2°C

armada_thermal-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1:        +55.2°C

Cheers

I am on 47201 and it works using 10.3.0.3 but I usually do a full install not an update. I have found less issues doing it this way.

anarky321 wrote:

it installed fine and i disabled dropbear but im still trying to figure out how to set it up to where the 2 drives automount on startup

edit: it's still messing up on router>client wifi transfer even after changing out the ssh server

set "vm.min_free_kbytes=16384"  in sysctl.conf that to me is the single biggest help it also makes dropbear usable.

anarky321 wrote:

define "messing up"

are you sure you disabled dropbear?

northbound wrote:
doITright wrote:

I just upgraded to r47201 from cc final and have to report that the wifi perf is just horrible with the 10.3.08 driver.
Both 2.4 and 5 GHz are functional at maybe 80 % of cc final in terms of speed....

I tried to go back to the mwlwifi.ko from cc final, but wifi would not start (I must be missing something)???

Open to suggestions...

tmp421-i2c-0-4c

armada_thermal-virtual-0

Cheers

I am on 47201 and it works using 10.3.0.3 but I usually do a full install not an update. I have found less issues doing it this way.

Hmmmmm...  I assume that the only file you swap is the mwlwifi.ko in the one directory..... 

I imagine the steps would be something like (don't remember anyone doing a how to before):

1. wifi down
2. delete or rename current mwlwifi.ko
3. copy the 10.3.0.3 mwlwifi.ko
4. wifi up

Can you post your 10.3.0.3 somewhere that we can get at (onedrive or dropbox etc.)?

I will give it another spin...  Need to resolve as my runtime is now under 6 hours between hangs.

Thanks

doITright wrote:
northbound wrote:
doITright wrote:

Open to suggestions...

tmp421-i2c-0-4c

armada_thermal-virtual-0

Cheers

Hmmmmm...  I assume that the only file you swap is the mwlwifi.ko in the one directory..... 

I imagine the steps would be something like (don't remember anyone doing a how to before):

1. wifi down
4. wifi up

Can you post your 10.3.0.3 somewhere that we can get at (onedrive or dropbox etc.)?

I will give it another spin...  Need to resolve as my runtime is now under 6 hours between hangs.

Thanks

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=E … =file%2cko

This is in /lib/modules/3.18.21
I use winscp so it is a simple drag and drop. *But I strongly believe that the updates and save settings will bite you. I start from scratch run this in putty paste
opkg update
opkg install lm-sensors
opkg install openvpn-openssl openvpn-easy-rsa
opkg install luci
opkg install luci-theme-openwrt
opkg install luci-ssl
opkg install luci-app-diag-core
opkg install luci-app-hd-idle
opkg install luci-app-openvpn
opkg install luci-app-samba
opkg install luci-app-statistics
opkg install collectd-mod-cpu
opkg install collectd-mod-df
opkg install collectd-mod-disk
opkg install collectd-mod-memory
opkg install collectd-mod-openvpn
opkg install collectd-mod-sensors
opkg install collectd-mod-wireless
opkg install kmod-fs-ext4
opkg install kmod-fs-ntfs

Then move over Gufus's fan script and make executable and a couple others but it takes me about 15 min to restore my defaults  and be up and running from trunk including reboots.

northbound wrote:
doITright wrote:
northbound wrote:

1. wifi down
4. wifi up

Thanks

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=E … =file%2cko

This is in /lib/modules/3.18.21
I use winscp so it is a simple drag and drop. *But I strongly believe that the updates and save settings will bite you. I start from scratch run this in putty paste
opkg update
opkg install lm-sensors
opkg install openvpn-openssl openvpn-easy-rsa
opkg install luci
opkg install luci-theme-openwrt
opkg install luci-ssl
opkg install luci-app-diag-core
opkg install luci-app-hd-idle
opkg install luci-app-openvpn
opkg install luci-app-samba
opkg install luci-app-statistics
opkg install collectd-mod-cpu
opkg install collectd-mod-df
opkg install collectd-mod-disk
opkg install collectd-mod-memory
opkg install collectd-mod-openvpn
opkg install collectd-mod-sensors
opkg install collectd-mod-wireless
opkg install kmod-fs-ext4
opkg install kmod-fs-ntfs

Then move over Gufus's fan script and make executable and a couple others but it takes me about 15 min to restore my defaults  and be up and running from trunk including reboots.

Interesting.... 

Your mwlwifi.ko is 63 KB and the one from cc final that I was trying to use is 61 KB (while the newest one is 71 KB)

I will try the one from cc final again and if wifi fails to start like the first time I tried, I will give yours a spin and advise.

Crossing fingers smile

Cheers

I would never intentionally burn a user here. Most are good people, It may not be rc but it is as stabile as it gets so far. I save most of what I get and use what I have that flys. smile

ok...  so I am now using your version of 10.3.0.3

What I did is:

1.  Tried to use the mwlwifi.ko @ 61 KB from cc final.  Radios came up for a bit and wiped out.
2.  Tried to use the mwlwifi.ko @ 63 KB via northbound.  Radios came up and seems stable so far.

What is interesting is that both the above are showing 10.3.0.3 while the latest was 10.3.0.8

Temps seem to be lower as well, but speed is probably the same if not worse than with 10.3.0.8

tmp421-i2c-0-4c
temp1:        +37.7°C
temp2:        +38.4°C

armada_thermal-virtual-0
temp1:        +46.5°C

Cheers

doITright wrote:

ok...  so I am now using your version of 10.3.0.3

What I did is:

1.  Tried to use the mwlwifi.ko @ 61 KB from cc final.  Radios came up for a bit and wiped out.
2.  Tried to use the mwlwifi.ko @ 63 KB via northbound.  Radios came up and seems stable so far.

What is interesting is that both the above are showing 10.3.0.3 while the latest was 10.3.0.8

Temps seem to be lower as well, but speed is probably the same if not worse than with 10.3.0.8

tmp421-i2c-0-4c
temp1:        +37.7°C
temp2:        +38.4°C

armada_thermal-virtual-0
temp1:        +46.5°C

Cheers

I never said it was fast smile But I get a week or more of uptime. When it bombs I flash the newest trunk. I get bored easily.
But I have no fruity devices so YMMV. Until there is a finalized ver. of 10 or later. This will do for me for now much better than factory for options, But not even close for speed.

northbound wrote:
anarky321 wrote:

set "vm.min_free_kbytes=16384"  in sysctl.conf that to me is the single biggest help it also makes dropbear usable.

i opened the file in Putty but cannot figure out how to even do something simple as add a line at the bottom for the added command

i opened as vim /etc/sysctl.conf i believe

edit: nvm i figured it out, will test with new parameter

my main problem now is that transferring from router usb over wifi 270mbps connection the transfer speed never goes above 10MBps, tried with 2 different laptops, this is from the USB3.0 port on the router

edit2: i looked at my router settings and its autonegotiating the 7260 wifi card at 20mhz when set to 80mhz, switching 5ghz to 40mhz gets the card to negotiate at 40mhz....card is 80mhz capable AC

i have a total of 3 wifi clients - 3x3 N, 3x3 AC and 2x3 AC, is this a problem of there not being enough spectrum to run everyone at 40mhz?

(Last edited by anarky321 on 20 Oct 2015, 07:32)

root@AC-DD-WRT:~# find / -name mwlwifi.ko
/lib/ath9k/mwlwifi.ko

root@AC-DD-WRT:~# strings /lib/ath9k/mwlwifi.ko | grep 10.3

Quick question:
Is 10.3.0.10 on trunk now?

gufus wrote:

root@AC-DD-WRT:~# find / -name mwlwifi.ko
/lib/ath9k/mwlwifi.ko

root@AC-DD-WRT:~# strings /lib/ath9k/mwlwifi.ko | grep 10.3

you are using dd-wrt and openwrt, is is the same wifi driver?

doITright wrote:

Open to suggestions...

I am trying out a recent build now, with the 10.3.0.10 driver:

root@wrt1900ac-1:~# cat /etc/openwrt_release
DISTRIB_ID='OpenWrt'
DISTRIB_RELEASE='Bleeding Edge'
DISTRIB_REVISION='r47199'
DISTRIB_CODENAME='designated_driver'
DISTRIB_TARGET='mvebu/generic'
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION='OpenWrt Designated Driver r47199'
DISTRIB_TAINTS='no-all'
root@wrt1900ac-1:~# cat /sys/kernel/debug/ieee80211/phy0/mwlwifi/info

driver name: mwlwifi
chip type: 88W8864
hw version: 7
driver version: 10.3.0.10
firmware version: 0x07020806
mac address: 00:25:9c:13:0f:1c
2g: enable
5g: disable
antenna: 4 4
irq number: 87
iobase0: d0e00000
iobase1: d1000000
tx limit: 768
rx limit: 64
ap macid support: 0000ffff
sta macid support: 00010000
macid used: 00000003

I am probably just lucky, not having any apple clients, so I haven't seen any of the reported log errors and speed problems.  I do see some softirq usage, but I consider that expected and normal. It does not affect the wlan speed in any noticable way.

But this is based on just a few hours of testing, so there might be hidden problems. I often had months of uptime between each 10.3.0.3 lockup...

NemoAlex wrote:

Quick question:
Is 10.3.0.10 on trunk now?

Nope 10.3.0.8 is the current version at least in OpenWrt Designated Driver r47201 / LuCI (git-15.286.54905-e8349fb)

@bmork:

1. what type of clients do you have? (and what type of wifi chipsets)
2. is your build for V1 or V2? (and if it's V2, could i have copy smile )

JohnnySL wrote:

@bmork:

1. what type of clients do you have? (and what type of wifi chipsets)
2. is your build for V1 or V2? (and if it's V2, could i have copy smile )

This is my home network, so you have the usual household clients: 3 Android phones, 3 Linux laptops, a HP printer and a Nintendo 3DS. The laptops all have Intel wireless cards.  2 x AC7260 and 1 x 6300, I believe.

My build is for V1. But adding the new driver to trunk isn't too difficult if you want to build it yourself.  You just have to fixup the 100-api_update.patch in addition to the usual commit id and version updates in package/kernel/mwlwifi/Makefile

The problem is that the upstream version tests for an API change using the kernel version, which doesn't detect the backported code used by OpenWRT.  This isn't nice, but works:

diff --git a/package/kernel/mwlwifi/patches/100-api_update.patch b/package/kernel/mwlwifi/patches/100-api_update.patch
index 09d65d2df3aa..25a8b2fcc53a 100644
--- a/package/kernel/mwlwifi/patches/100-api_update.patch
+++ b/package/kernel/mwlwifi/patches/100-api_update.patch
@@ -1,27 +1,31 @@
+diff --git a/main.c b/main.c
+index 4b075c172ffa..f9fbd889d4e2 100644
 --- a/main.c
 +++ b/main.c
-@@ -476,7 +476,7 @@ static void mwl_set_ht_caps(struct mwl_p
+@@ -398,7 +398,7 @@ static void mwl_set_ht_caps(struct mwl_priv *priv,
        band->ht_cap.cap |= IEEE80211_HT_CAP_SGI_20;
        band->ht_cap.cap |= IEEE80211_HT_CAP_SGI_40;

--      hw->flags |= IEEE80211_HW_AMPDU_AGGREGATION;
-+      ieee80211_hw_set(hw, AMPDU_AGGREGATION);
-       band->ht_cap.ampdu_factor = IEEE80211_HT_MAX_AMPDU_64K;
-       band->ht_cap.ampdu_density = IEEE80211_HT_MPDU_DENSITY_4;
- 
-@@ -578,12 +578,13 @@ static int mwl_wl_init(struct mwl_priv *
+-#if LINUX_VERSION_CODE < KERNEL_VERSION(4, 2, 0)
++#ifndef ieee80211_hw_set
+       hw->flags |= IEEE80211_HW_AMPDU_AGGREGATION;
+ #else
+       ieee80211_hw_set(hw, AMPDU_AGGREGATION);
+@@ -504,7 +504,7 @@ static int mwl_wl_init(struct mwl_priv *priv)
        hw->queues = SYSADPT_TX_WMM_QUEUES;

/* Set rssi values to dBm */
--      hw->flags |= IEEE80211_HW_SIGNAL_DBM | IEEE80211_HW_HAS_RATE_CONTROL;
-+      ieee80211_hw_set(hw, SIGNAL_DBM);
-+      ieee80211_hw_set(hw, HAS_RATE_CONTROL);
- 
-       /* Ask mac80211 to not to trigger PS mode
+       hw->flags |= IEEE80211_HW_SIGNAL_DBM | IEEE80211_HW_HAS_RATE_CONTROL;
+ #else
+       ieee80211_hw_set(hw, SIGNAL_DBM);
+@@ -514,7 +514,7 @@ static int mwl_wl_init(struct mwl_priv *priv)
+       /* Ask mac80211 not to trigger PS mode
         * based on PM bit of incoming frames.
         */
--      hw->flags |= IEEE80211_HW_AP_LINK_PS;
-+      ieee80211_hw_set(hw, AP_LINK_PS);
- 
-       hw->vif_data_size = sizeof(struct mwl_vif);
-       hw->sta_data_size = sizeof(struct mwl_sta);
+       hw->flags |= IEEE80211_HW_AP_LINK_PS;
+ #else
+       ieee80211_hw_set(hw, AP_LINK_PS);
-- 

Sorry,

Totally lost you there, but will see if i can figure it out.

Buildbox is up and running, and i'm able to build a default trunk.

[edit] nevermind, think i'm starting to understand now

(Last edited by JohnnySL on 20 Oct 2015, 13:15)

Suggestions on how to set up repeater mode on WRT1900AC V1?

BR

Sorry, posts 8226 to 8225 are missing from our archive.