OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Update on Linksys WRT1900AC support

The content of this topic has been archived between 16 Sep 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

I'm seriously considering into selling my WRT1900ac V1 and buying Ubiquiti's instead. I have been running openwrt on a WNDR3700 v2 for the last 5 years. And I was really hoping that this new shiny router would be a really good replacement.

SaberOne wrote:

I'm seriously considering into selling my WRT1900ac V1 and buying Ubiquiti's instead. I have been running openwrt on a WNDR3700 v2 for the last 5 years. And I was really hoping that this new shiny router would be a really good replacement.

Although I share your anger and disappointment I will stick with my WRT simply because of the community and the potential this router has if and when marvell cleans up their $hit. If you do decide to sell it how much would you be looking to get?

This is probably the wrong place to ask but the docs on this are scattered and some are way out of date and I know there are users here that compile their own images so hopefully someone will let me pick their brain. smile
Ok so I finally have the build root installed.
openwrt image builder
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install git-core build-essential libssl-dev libncurses5-dev unzip
sudo apt-get install subversion mercurial
Main repository
git clone git://git.openwrt.org/openwrt.git
Packages feed
git clone git://git.openwrt.org/packages.git
cd openwrt
./scripts/feeds update -a
./scripts/feeds install -a
make menuconfig
make V=s

My question is is if I want to build a new fresh build do I just do a "make clean" then do
./scripts/feeds update -a
./scripts/feeds install -a
to get current with trunk?

First problem I have found with my build.

Installing openvpn-openssl (2.3.7-1) to root...
Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/ … mvebu.ipk.
Collected errors:
* satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for openvpn-openssl:
*     kernel (= 3.18.21-1-72f05c98d81dc1c8bb874a90cc753f60) *
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package openvpn-openssl.

And a question how do I get it to compile kernel 4?
Thanks for any info or useful links.
Another bigger problem no wifi and then cpu usage climbed and router locked before I could get to the log ......Back to the drawing board. so much for 47220. smile

SaberOne wrote:

If you want to have a bigger impact, consider going onto the Amazon site and stating this in a review.

It's now a full 21 months (since January 2014) that the WRT1900AC was announced with great fanfare as "OpenWrt ready". To say that they've failed to live up to their promises is an understatement.

And they're advertising their new products in this line in the same way, "OpenWRT ready". So it's all marketing, apparently marketing information doesn't have to be true.

@northbound

As I told @tusk, please join #openwrt on Freenode on irc and ask your questions there.

nitroshift

I'm finding that my 1900ac v1 isn't rebooting using "reboot". It will only reboot using "reboot -f". Other devices work fine just using "reboot". Is this expected behaviour?

When I use reboot -f I don't get gufus' fan script starting itself even though it is in /etc/rc.d.
Is this also expected behaviour?

nitroshift wrote:

@northbound

As I told @tusk, please join #openwrt on Freenode on irc and ask your questions there.

nitroshift

im also interested of the answer.. better keep it on forum.. more ppl can read it... that is unless you want to answer it multiple times..
id also like a wiki step by step compile/package location and grabbing procedure.. all that is to know to build x86 environment as it can be debugged with vmachine and is similar to devices procedure
last time i tried.. it was spread multiple pages.. gave up for the moment

Can someone show your iperf3 stats?
Im getting really bad speeds
Client: Windows 10 x64
Device: ASUS USB-AC56

Config:
wireless.radio1=wifi-device
wireless.radio1.type='mac80211'
wireless.radio1.hwmode='11a'
wireless.radio1.path='soc/soc:pcie-controller/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.0/0000:03:00.0'
wireless.radio1.country='NZ'
wireless.radio1.channel='161'
wireless.radio1.htmode='VHT80'
wireless.radio1.txpower='17'
wireless.@wifi-iface[1]=wifi-iface
wireless.@wifi-iface[1].device='radio1'
wireless.@wifi-iface[1].mode='ap'
wireless.@wifi-iface[1].ssid='DavyJones!'
wireless.@wifi-iface[1].key='ThisSecurePass'
wireless.@wifi-iface[1].network='lan'
wireless.@wifi-iface[1].encryption='psk2+ccmp'

Test:

.\iperf3.exe -c 192.168.123.1 -t 30 -t 10
Connecting to host 192.168.123.1, port 5201
[  4] local 192.168.123.100 port 51952 connected to 192.168.123.1 port 5201
[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bandwidth
[  4]   0.00-1.00   sec  10.4 MBytes  86.9 Mbits/sec
[  4]   1.00-2.00   sec  11.6 MBytes  97.5 Mbits/sec
[  4]   2.00-3.00   sec  14.0 MBytes   118 Mbits/sec
[  4]   3.00-4.00   sec  13.5 MBytes   113 Mbits/sec
[  4]   4.00-5.00   sec  12.2 MBytes   103 Mbits/sec
[  4]   5.00-6.00   sec  11.1 MBytes  93.3 Mbits/sec
[  4]   6.00-7.00   sec  9.00 MBytes  75.5 Mbits/sec
[  4]   7.00-8.00   sec  13.0 MBytes   109 Mbits/sec
[  4]   8.00-9.00   sec  14.1 MBytes   118 Mbits/sec
[  4]   9.00-10.00  sec  8.62 MBytes  72.4 Mbits/sec
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bandwidth
[  4]   0.00-10.00  sec   118 MBytes  98.7 Mbits/sec                  sender
[  4]   0.00-10.00  sec   118 MBytes  98.6 Mbits/sec                  receiver

iperf Done.

lifehacksback wrote:
SaberOne wrote:

Although I share your anger and disappointment I will stick with my WRT simply because of the community and the potential this router has if and when marvell cleans up their $hit. If you do decide to sell it how much would you be looking to get?

Yes, I'm disappointed. The WRT1900ac wasn't exactly a cheap router and out of the box I find the features limited.

The only reason I stuck with it because of how committed the community is. Heck, I'd rather payed 100 euro's to the community and 100 to Linksys. But unfortunately that's not the reality. My reality is that I need a router that gives me and my family a reliable and fast Wifi connection while using mostly Apple devices.

So I really appreciate the effort of the community. And hopefully eventually a stable openwrt on WRT1900 will come of it.

Lantis wrote:

I'm finding that my 1900ac v1 isn't rebooting using "reboot". It will only reboot using "reboot -f". Other devices work fine just using "reboot". Is this expected behaviour?

When I use reboot -f I don't get gufus' fan script starting itself even though it is in /etc/rc.d.
Is this also expected behaviour?

My reboot works with the following crontab lines(1900v1 with 15.05 Final/no Changes):

/etc/init.d/cron start
/etc/init.d/cron enable
*/5 * * * * /sbin/fan_ctrl.sh
0 5 * * * reboot

for reboot 5 a.m. every day
br
mark

(Last edited by mark1234 on 23 Oct 2015, 14:50)

Why there is no new wifi driver in trunk yet?

silvah wrote:

ask linksys as they provide the driver beying "OpenWrt ready" and "Open Source ready"
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 86#p230686

http://www.linksys.com/us/p/P-WRT1900AC/
‡While Linksys fully embraces the open source community and is providing open source use capabilities, they do not offer technical support on using open source firmware. Installing 3rd party firmware is done at your own risk and replacing factory-installed firmware with OpenWRT firmware will void your warranty. Please always seek the advice of more experienced users via open source community forums if you’re unsure.

seems they woid waranty for OWRT smile

hf

makarel wrote:
nitroshift wrote:

@northbound

nitroshift

im also interested of the answer.. better keep it on forum.. more ppl can read it... that is unless you want to answer it multiple times..
id also like a wiki step by step compile/package location and grabbing procedure.. all that is to know to build x86 environment as it can be debugged with vmachine and is similar to devices procedure
last time i tried.. it was spread multiple pages.. gave up for the moment

This is the wrong place to ask for the general "how do I compile openwrt". this topic is already long enough that it's hard to find the info, please don't add to the noise here.

silvah wrote:

I was kinna wondering that too.

@kaloz

?

doITright wrote:
plamka00 wrote:
plamka00 wrote:

Suggestions on how to set up repeater mode on WRT1900AC V1?

BR

?

I seem to recall the chipset/driver do not support the function of repeater/bridge with OpenWRT/DD-WRT (I could be wrong)...

Regardless...  There are many other ways to do similar things...  Have a look at this:

http://superuser.com/questions/122441/h … ess-points

I use my second 1900AC (running stock) in wireless bridge mode over 5GHz (too lazy to run a cable).

The 2.4GHz radio uses the same ssid and settings as my main 1900AC upstairs but with a different channel set.

I configured my clients for inter-access point handover and I have my repeater smile

Cheers

Hi,

thanks for your answer. I'm sharing with my neighbour internet, so I want to connect myself to his AP and make myself a virtual network with a different subnet/ip-adress. The point is: I can connect myself to his AP but after configuring a new virtual WIFI network no SSID is broadcasting. Unfortunatelly I still can not set it up....

plamka00 wrote:
doITright wrote:
plamka00 wrote:

?

I seem to recall the chipset/driver do not support the function of repeater/bridge with OpenWRT/DD-WRT (I could be wrong)...

Regardless...  There are many other ways to do similar things...  Have a look at this:

if you go back a few dozen pages, you should find a discussion of someone setting one up. It can be done on these routers

I use my second 1900AC (running stock) in wireless bridge mode over 5GHz (too lazy to run a cable).

The 2.4GHz radio uses the same ssid and settings as my main 1900AC upstairs but with a different channel set.

I configured my clients for inter-access point handover and I have my repeater smile

Cheers

Hi,

thanks for your answer. I'm sharing with my neighbour internet, so I want to connect myself to his AP and make myself a virtual network with a different subnet/ip-adress. The point is: I can connect myself to his AP but after configuring a new virtual WIFI network no SSID is broadcasting. Unfortunatelly I still can not set it up....

dlang, your post ist missing...

plamka00 wrote:
doITright wrote:
plamka00 wrote:

?

Cheers

Hi,

There are numerous how-to docs on setting up your OpenWRT AP as a client to another AP and then serving another SSID out. Any AP with two radios can do it with one radio as the remote link and the other serving locally. Almost all can have multiple SSIDs on one radio, with one as a slave and others serving access out.

If you want to use the SAME SSID as the remote system, it gets ugly and doesn't actually work well even if the chipset supports it (the local mobile devices and the remote AP step on each other because they can't hear each other. If they could you wouldn't need the repeater)

dlang wrote:
plamka00 wrote:
doITright wrote:

Cheers

Hi,

There are numerous how-to docs on setting up your OpenWRT AP as a client to another AP and then serving another SSID out. Any AP with two radios can do it with one radio as the remote link and the other serving locally. Almost all can have multiple SSIDs on one radio, with one as a slave and others serving access out.

If you want to use the SAME SSID as the remote system, it gets ugly and doesn't actually work well even if the chipset supports it (the local mobile devices and the remote AP step on each other because they can't hear each other. If they could you wouldn't need the repeater)

The problem is not the firmware (OpenWRT or DD-WRT), but the Router (WRT1900AC) and its Marvel Chip (as also "doITright" mentioned). I'm able to set up my desired configuration with many other routers, but not with the desired WRT1900AC. So my question belongs especially to the setup for the WRT1900AC: Is it at this moment somehow possible and if yes, then how?
Sorry, if I missunderstand it somehow.

plamka00 wrote:

The problem is not the firmware (OpenWRT or DD-WRT), but the Router (WRT1900AC) and its Marvel Chip (as also "doITright" mentioned). I'm able to set up my desired configuration with many other routers, but not with the desired WRT1900AC. So my question belongs especially to the setup for the WRT1900AC: Is it at this moment somehow possible and if yes, then how?
Sorry, if I missunderstand it somehow.

I don't think anyone here is aware of any reason it wouldn't work on this router.

what exactly are you trying, and what does /etc/config/wireless look like when you try? (it may be worth looking at what changes each step of the way)

dmccourt wrote:

Hi,

Maybe a silly question. I have just put openwrt on my Linksys wrt1200AC. But cannot see the Switch tab under Network (in LuCI).

Can anyone help me out with this?

Thanks in advance!

Dave.

Same here, I flashed the official cc version on my WRT1200AC but found "Switch" tab missing in luci. I would like to support dual line with Vlan configuration. Please help!

(Last edited by muronghan on 24 Oct 2015, 04:50)

muronghan wrote:
dmccourt wrote:

Hi,

Maybe a silly question. I have just put openwrt on my Linksys wrt1200AC. But cannot see the Switch tab under Network (in LuCI).

Thanks in advance!

Dave.

Same here, I flashed the official cc version on my WRT1200AC but found "Switch" tab missing in luci. I would like to support dual line with Vlan configuration. Please help!

for wrt1200ac https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 38#p287438
nano /etc/config/network add these @ the end

config switch
    option name 'switch0'
    option reset '1'
    option enable_vlan '1'

config switch_vlan
    option device 'switch0'
    option vlan '1'
    option vid '1'
    option ports '0 1 2 3 6'

config switch_vlan
    option device 'switch0'
    option vlan '2'
    option vid '2'
    option ports '4 5'

have a TTL serial adapter close by when switching network settings

ps: bad flash img maybe?? https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 11#p294511

(Last edited by makarel on 24 Oct 2015, 12:45)

makarel wrote:
muronghan wrote:
dmccourt wrote:

Hi,

Thanks in advance!

Dave.

for wrt1200ac https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 38#p287438
nano /etc/config/network add these @ the end

config switch
    option name 'switch0'
    option reset '1'
    option enable_vlan '1'

config switch_vlan
    option device 'switch0'
    option vlan '1'
    option vid '1'
    option ports '0 1 2 3 6'

config switch_vlan
    option device 'switch0'
    option vlan '2'
    option vid '2'
    option ports '4 5'

have a TTL serial adapter close by when switching network settings

ps: bad flash img maybe?? https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 11#p294511

Thanks a lot for your sharing! In fact, I will transfer LAN port 1 to WAN2 and then installed mwan3 after. So the presence of switch tab is a must.

In my previous WNDRMACv2 flashed with OpenWrt BB, the /etc/config/network looks like following and it works perfectly:

config switch
    option name 'switch0'
    option reset '1'
    option enable_vlan '1'
    option blinkrate '2'
    option enable_vlan4k '1'

config switch_vlan
    option device 'switch0'
    option vlan '1'
    option ports '0 1 2 5t'

config switch_port
    option device 'switch0'
    option port '1'
    option led '6'

config switch_port
    option device 'switch0'
    option port '2'
    option led '9'

config switch_port
    option device 'switch0'
    option port '5'
    option led '2'

config switch_vlan
    option device 'switch0'
    option vlan '2'
    option ports '3 5t'

So port 5, the CPU, is tagged in both Vlan1 and Vlan2. I copy-paste switch_vlan part onto my WRT1200AC's config file and it bricked. So what will be the exact configuration for the WRT1200AC, should CPU also be tagged? (port 5 on WRT1200AC seems CPU also, and don't know what's about port 6). Thanks a lot in advance!

@makarel, hereunder is the result of running "swconfig dev switch0 show"

======
Global attributes:
        enable_vlan: 0
Port 0:
        mask: 0x004e: (0) 1 2 3 6
        qmode: 0
        link: 0
        pvid: 0
Port 1:
        mask: 0x004d: 0 (1) 2 3 6
Port 2:
        mask: 0x004b: 0 1 (2) 3 6
        link: 1000
Port 3:
        mask: 0x0047: 0 1 2 (3) 6
Port 4:
        mask: 0x0020: (4) 5
Port 5:
        mask: 0x0010: 4 (5)
Port 6:
        mask: 0x000f: 0 1 2 3 (6)
====
So port 6 is also a CPU? I should tag port 6 in WRT1200AC instead of tagging port 5? I did tagging port 5 but bricked it again :-(