OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Update on Linksys WRT1900AC support

The content of this topic has been archived between 16 Sep 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

davidc502 wrote:

@dlang

Several sources point out that radar is very specific about how they "pulse".

It is a disappointment to find out there is no rhyme or reason to the detection method.

https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/developers/dfs

@davidc502,

The radar detection on the WRT1x00 series is implemented in the Marwell wireless chipset firmware. not in the mac80211 driver.
Since the firmware is 'closed source', who knows what kind of algorithm or detection method is used, but it seems something is not 100% right with their implementation.
There are just too many 'false positives'.

guys, how to set build env to use OS-s gcc 6.2 ?

$ gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
COLLECT_GCC=gcc
COLLECT_LTO_WRAPPER=/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/6/lto-wrapper
Target: x86_64-linux-gnu
Configured with: ../src/configure -v --with-pkgversion='Ubuntu 6.2.0-3ubuntu11~16.04' --with-bugurl=file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-6/README.Bugs --enable-languages=c,ada,c++,java,go,d,fortran,objc,obj-c++ --prefix=/usr --program-suffix=-6 --enable-shared --enable-linker-build-id --libexecdir=/usr/lib --without-included-gettext --enable-threads=posix --libdir=/usr/lib --enable-nls --with-sysroot=/ --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-libstdcxx-debug --enable-libstdcxx-time=yes --with-default-libstdcxx-abi=new --enable-gnu-unique-object --disable-vtable-verify --enable-libmpx --enable-plugin --with-system-zlib --disable-browser-plugin --enable-java-awt=gtk --enable-gtk-cairo --with-java-home=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-gcj-6-amd64/jre --enable-java-home --with-jvm-root-dir=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-gcj-6-amd64 --with-jvm-jar-dir=/usr/lib/jvm-exports/java-1.5.0-gcj-6-amd64 --with-arch-directory=amd64 --with-ecj-jar=/usr/share/java/eclipse-ecj.jar --enable-objc-gc --enable-multiarch --disable-werror --with-arch-32=i686 --with-abi=m64 --with-multilib-list=m32,m64,mx32 --enable-multilib --with-tune=generic --enable-checking=release --build=x86_64-linux-gnu --host=x86_64-linux-gnu --target=x86_64-linux-gnu
Thread model: posix
gcc version 6.2.0 20160901 (Ubuntu 6.2.0-3ubuntu11~16.04)

Update on "long term" stability testing.

r1589+111 / LuCI Master (git-16.251.61906-44bf3f0) 
uptime
 21:04:48 up 21 days, 42 min,  0 users,  load average: 0.02, 0.02, 0.06

No slowdown on 5G wifi -- still file transfers better than 30MB/sec, I've even seen peaks around 40MB/sec.

This router sees large file transfers, streaming from youtube and a media center, and remote desktop sessions for PC admin.  Open source features + nice performance... pretty happy with this router these days.

Please register on vote on this , so it gets fixed soon.

Hamy wrote:

Hamy, the solution is posted in the comments.  I haven't tried it so I don't know if it works, but why not just go to:

target/linux/mvebu/base-files/lib/upgrade/linksys.sh

in your build environment and add the recommended line at the end of the file and commit the change.

Depending on the actual fix committed you may have to manage the merge (if it's formatted differently) or you may have to revert your personal commit that fixed it.  In the mean time you don't have to wait around for the "official" fix to get committed.

InkblotAdmirer wrote:
Hamy wrote:

Hamy, the solution is posted in the comments.  I haven't tried it so I don't know if it works, but why not just go to:

target/linux/mvebu/base-files/lib/upgrade/linksys.sh

in your build environment and add the recommended line at the end of the file and commit the change.

Depending on the actual fix committed you may have to manage the merge (if it's formatted differently) or you may have to revert your personal commit that fixed it.  In the mean time you don't have to wait around for the "official" fix to get committed.

Thank you for your post.
I know that the fix is available unofficially. it is however rather late for me to build a working firmware as i've already installed the faulty firmware. i think i should be able however to edit that file in my router anyway before doing upgrade and it would fix the issue. beside that, not always you'd need to compile your own firmware. for me, the trunk downloads are enough (if it's fixed of course).

Yeehaw
commit 5f80315634c66a647aed9673e10582acd8462d69
More fun. smile
Cool! jow fixed it.

(Last edited by northbound on 4 Oct 2016, 13:27)

@Hamy, You can just edit your live image. that is how I tested it out as the cause.

mojolacerator wrote:
Malachi wrote:

Sorry but $50 is too low.
The 2.4ghz isn't as strong or fast as my rt-ac68u.
I haven't tried openwrt on it yet but it behaved the same way on dd-wrt and stock.
So I figure it's just my environment where Broadcom works better.

I'm assuming stock firmware would be the best, though lacking in features. I don't use anything but wifi and one lan pc.

Try this i mage before you get rid of your WRT, I am running a V2 on it and extremely happy with it.

htt ps://m eg a.n z/ #F!7A0xFZJY!As3Zmj2fXNFa2QBaXPExKw

It is based on Openwrt, but is a full and complete image.
!st login password is "password" will prompt you to change it.

Sorry but I can see only Gargoyle Builds
Can you post Openwrt builds?
Thanks in advance.

(Last edited by cojo on 4 Oct 2016, 18:58)

northbound wrote:

Yeehaw
commit 5f80315634c66a647aed9673e10582acd8462d69
More fun. smile
Cool! jow fixed it.

Thank you "jow"

New sources have compiled, and will test the new image tonight and verify it can be flashed.

@cojo

That's the only thing on that link-Gargoyle.

For Openwrt builds, please see the wiki for options.

Hi. I am new in the forum and I wish to post an observation. I have Mamba router and noticed with LEDE trunk builds  kernels 4.4.21 and 4.4.23 I have problem logging to my VPN strongswan server.I tried from windows7 client and Ubuntu.The error I am getting in w7 is Error 13843: Invalid payload received.
I am wondering if  anybody else experienced same error.
Thanks,

anyone?

gsustek wrote:

guys, how to set build env to use OS-s gcc 6.2 ?

$ gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
COLLECT_GCC=gcc
COLLECT_LTO_WRAPPER=/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/6/lto-wrapper
Target: x86_64-linux-gnu
Configured with: ../src/configure -v --with-pkgversion='Ubuntu 6.2.0-3ubuntu11~16.04' --with-bugurl=file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-6/README.Bugs --enable-languages=c,ada,c++,java,go,d,fortran,objc,obj-c++ --prefix=/usr --program-suffix=-6 --enable-shared --enable-linker-build-id --libexecdir=/usr/lib --without-included-gettext --enable-threads=posix --libdir=/usr/lib --enable-nls --with-sysroot=/ --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-libstdcxx-debug --enable-libstdcxx-time=yes --with-default-libstdcxx-abi=new --enable-gnu-unique-object --disable-vtable-verify --enable-libmpx --enable-plugin --with-system-zlib --disable-browser-plugin --enable-java-awt=gtk --enable-gtk-cairo --with-java-home=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-gcj-6-amd64/jre --enable-java-home --with-jvm-root-dir=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-gcj-6-amd64 --with-jvm-jar-dir=/usr/lib/jvm-exports/java-1.5.0-gcj-6-amd64 --with-arch-directory=amd64 --with-ecj-jar=/usr/share/java/eclipse-ecj.jar --enable-objc-gc --enable-multiarch --disable-werror --with-arch-32=i686 --with-abi=m64 --with-multilib-list=m32,m64,mx32 --enable-multilib --with-tune=generic --enable-checking=release --build=x86_64-linux-gnu --host=x86_64-linux-gnu --target=x86_64-linux-gnu
Thread model: posix
gcc version 6.2.0 20160901 (Ubuntu 6.2.0-3ubuntu11~16.04)

@davidc502
r1777
is fine here only been 2.7 hrs. uptime but so far so good.

northbound wrote:

@davidc502
r1777
is fine here only been 2.7 hrs. uptime but so far so good.

Reboot (HEAD, r1770)

root@lede:~# uptime
20:11:17 up  1:16,  load average: 0.08, 0.01, 0.00

So far so good here as well.

@gsustek nitroshift would be a good person to ask, as I know he's cross-compiled before [netdata].  I'd recommend hopping on OpenWrt's IRC channel during business hours and asking him.

Thnx @JW0914, that would be my next move:-) talk on the irc channel

(Last edited by gsustek on 5 Oct 2016, 05:47)

@JW0914

As promised:

https://github.com/nitroshift/armada-38 … very-files

I have updated the wiki, HOWEVER, because I don't have an armada_38x based device I cannot test the procedure.

nitroshift

(Last edited by nitroshift on 5 Oct 2016, 09:50)

@gsustek

Support for GCC 6.x isn't included in OpenWRT as yet.

nitroshift

adri wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

@dlang

Several sources point out that radar is very specific about how they "pulse".

It is a disappointment to find out there is no rhyme or reason to the detection method.

https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/developers/dfs

@davidc502,

The radar detection on the WRT1x00 series is implemented in the Marwell wireless chipset firmware. not in the mac80211 driver.
Since the firmware is 'closed source', who knows what kind of algorithm or detection method is used, but it seems something is not 100% right with their implementation.
There are just too many 'false positives'.

The thing is that I've heard the same complaints across the board, not just about this series. Even when there is no radar within 1000 miles, the APs 'detect' radar eventually.

JW0914 wrote:
mojolacerator wrote:

Just wondering if arokh's should be removed? no update since April 16/16

I personally believe users benefit from this option, as arokh's build is highly customized and extremely stable, truly meant to be a complete OOBE.  Stability isn't necessarily defined by a build being updated regularly, thereby not necessitating an update unless one is needed.  Arokh's still active in his Build Info thread, with their last post being 8/26 (last post in their thread is from 9/15).

I'm just one perspective, so it's important others share theirs as well.

for the various community builds, could you add a link to the place where that build is being discussed/supported? Yes, they will mostly point here, but not all of them will (as this sub-thread discusses)

Hi,

Which firmware can also be used WRT1200AC V2?
Now I use the Kaloz firmware, but the buggy USB3 and random reboot for some days  8(

thanx!

sorry! my bad english 8)

br,
zacci

(Last edited by zacci on 5 Oct 2016, 13:17)

@nitroshift Thanks! =]

@zacci  You may want to check out Firmware Images in the wiki

dlang wrote:
JW0914 wrote:
mojolacerator wrote:

Just wondering if arokh's should be removed? no update since April 16/16

I personally believe users benefit from this option, as arokh's build is highly customized and extremely stable, truly meant to be a complete OOBE.  Stability isn't necessarily defined by a build being updated regularly, thereby not necessitating an update unless one is needed.  Arokh's still active in his Build Info thread, with their last post being 8/26 (last post in their thread is from 9/15).

I'm just one perspective, so it's important others share theirs as well.

for the various community builds, could you add a link to the place where that build is being discussed/supported? Yes, they will mostly point here, but not all of them will (as this sub-thread discusses)

That's not a problem, however I'll need to figure out the best place for it and how to word it, as all builds, except arokh's, are discussed in this thread (arokh's link to discussion is the Build Info link under his build section).  My initial thought is to place it at the very top of the third party build section, with an interwiki link to the Latest Discussion section.

(Last edited by JW0914 on 5 Oct 2016, 17:55)