OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Update on Linksys WRT1900AC support

The content of this topic has been archived between 16 Sep 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

nitroshift wrote:

@gsustek

Support for GCC 6.x isn't included in OpenWRT as yet.

nitroshift

thnx, but when woud be included it will be there...

make menuconfig ->advanced conf options-> toolchain options-> choose gcc version

Is there a known issue with a WRT1900V1 that will not flash properly?  After flashing this new unit, it just reboots 3 times and goes back to the stock image.  It does this with davec and lede builds.  I have another that is working just fine with davec's image so I'm assuming this is unit-specific.

With the stable CC release, it boots, registers that there is a cable plugged in, but no DHCP or wifi.  After 3 manual restarts, I'm back to the stock image.  It does the same thing with kaloz and mr freeze builds.

(Last edited by lyz on 5 Oct 2016, 22:00)

Can you flash another OEM image successfully?

Villeneuve wrote:

Can you flash another OEM image successfully?

It worked to flash the most recent OEM.  I've verified that it boots from either boot_part with OEM firmware.

Another image, DD / lede nightly, just to prove the point. You may need a serial to see what is happening on the console if non of those work. There was someone on irc the other day with similar issue, just turned out to be the download. Checksum?

(Last edited by Villeneuve on 5 Oct 2016, 22:07)

Villeneuve wrote:

Another image, DD / lede nightly, just to prove the point. You may need a serial to see what is happening on the console if non of those work. There was someone on irc the other day with similar issue, just turned out to be the download. Checksum?

Well, I just got DaveC's working.  I booted OEM into boot_part 1 and flashed boot_part 2.  It did not work the other way around.  It is running just fine now.

(Last edited by lyz on 5 Oct 2016, 22:11)

Hello, I'm new here, so question will be newbies too, I have a Linksys WRT1900ACS and

i) I don't know wich router I bought, because with this image say it is a "V2" router, but firmware is 1.0.1174588 (a V1)

paste.opensuse.org/79809863

ii) I suppose that is V2, so using kaloz firmware (15.05.1), with updated wifi drivers sometimes I get disconnections in Wireless 5ghz, and then change to 2.4 automatically.

iii) I think this is a not-so-related-openwrt question but when I start transmission bittorrent in the connection graph I have tons of UDP connections and searching here and there seems my ISP think is an attack and they disconnect me, the only thing I have to do to get PPPoE connection working again is power off/power in adsl device and router do the redial again. Transmission is configured with limited connections (almost 80, changed from 400). I say a not-so-related-openwrt question because when I connect directly my notebook with transmission client broke the connection too and need to restart adsl modem, but that thing doesn't happen with my current wrt54gl with last linksys firmware, I use transmission with it and never had problem, just one that must disable firewall in router, but until now can't get with the reason of lot of connections, all to isp dns. Is there a way to cache request in the router so dns request are returned by router?

paste.opensuse.org/54524462
paste.opensuse.org/2586785

iv) I've tryed davidc52 firmware, but wireless 2.4ghz and 5ghz won't work.

This is preliminar, I still need to test more, but by time and conditions (this is my "production" home network, can't disconnect often) I really want to debug this issues, need to do some upgrades in my local network.

I have some backgrounds on programming, but don't know much about networks, so please guide me to tell you something useful for debug.

Sorry by my English, is not my native language.

Edit: To change partition for me work in this way: 3 times reboot power off and on again, but when some lights tilt and after that power light (first light left to right) is on and then off then switch power off device and then power on again... repeat 3 times.

(Last edited by feathersanddown on 5 Oct 2016, 22:19)

@lyz It sounds like it's either what @Villeneuve mentioned (corrupt download), or that the images are missing the nand patch.  Either way, console output via serial is going to be the only way to troubleshoot.

@feathersanddown

1. Someone will need to confirm, but I believe the same firmware is used for the ACS, as the only difference between the Armada 385 v1's & v2's are the FCC's radio power output restrictions

2. Please provide more details, such as does it occur across all wifi devices, or certain ones?  Log output will also be required, however since I've never had to troubleshoot a wifi issue, someone else will need to chime in on what you need to grep for.

3. I can't provide insight into your experience as I've never used torrents, however the firewall mention caught my attention.  I could very well be misunderstanding, or misconstruing, but are you stating you had to disable the firewall on the router?  If it is, that should never be done if your router is the WAN gateway, as doing so allows unfettered access to your LAN from WAN.

• On a side note, if you're utilizing graphs a lot, you should install netdata, as it blows collectd out of the water.  It also allows one to get real time stats without having to log in to LuCI

4. Did you verify if the Radios are enabled in LuCI (normally WiFi is disabled by default)? If they are and the drop down menus are missing, that would be the WiFi bug that's covered in the wiki

(Last edited by JW0914 on 6 Oct 2016, 02:13)

@kaloz

Lots of us still run Chaos Calmer 15.05

Can you please update OpenWrt Chaos Calmer r46767 OpenSSL to:

root@DD-WRT 5d:e1:f6:~#  strings /usr/lib/libssl.so.1.0.0 | grep OpenSSL
OpenSSLDie
SSLv3 part of OpenSSL 1.0.2j  26 Sep 2016
TLSv1 part of OpenSSL 1.0.2j  26 Sep 2016
DTLSv1 part of OpenSSL 1.0.2j  26 Sep 2016
OpenSSL 1.0.2j  26 Sep 2016
root@DD-WRT 5d:e1:f6:~#

This is the current version

Using username "root".
SSH implementation OpenSSH 7.1
Authenticating with public key "imported-openssh-key"

BusyBox v1.23.2 (2015-07-24 23:41:29 CEST) built-in shell (ash)

OpenWrt Chaos Calmer r46767
Security is enabled, and your IP address has been logged.

root@AC1900M:~#  strings /usr/lib/libssl.so.1.0.0 | grep OpenSSL
OpenSSLDie
SSLv3 part of OpenSSL 1.0.2g  1 Mar 2016
TLSv1 part of OpenSSL 1.0.2g  1 Mar 2016
DTLSv1 part of OpenSSL 1.0.2g  1 Mar 2016
OpenSSL 1.0.2g  1 Mar 2016
root@AC1900M:~#

And we can DL it via opkg list-upgradable

Thank you smile

(Last edited by gufus on 7 Oct 2016, 15:10)

Hi,

I know this site. So it can only be used by Kaloz in the firmware to wrt1200AC V2 8(

LEDE expected in the firmware V2 compatible version?
Perhaps the official firmware ?

Hello, i wish to buy this router but i have some question

How is the marvel driver? Is it good or we have problem for now?
I read that it doesn't support wifi n. what does it mean ?
Any alternative to this, that is more compatible and open?

Ansuel wrote:

Hello, i wish to buy this router but i have some question

How is the marvel driver? Is it good or we have problem for now?
I read that it doesn't support wifi n. what does it mean ?
Any alternative to this, that is more compatible and open?

Could you be more specific on model/Version?
Someone with said model/version might be able to help you.
AFAIK, All newer support the N band.

(Last edited by northbound on 7 Oct 2016, 23:57)

@Ansuel Driver is fine, and while there have been issues that pop up from time to time, I haven't seen any posts as of late regarding issues with the wifi driver.  All AC routers must support N by default, as each iteration of wifi is backwards compatible with all previous versions.

In terms of AC routers, unless you require more than 2 radios (i.e. more than one 5gHz radio] or MU-MIMO, the WRT1X00AC/S Series is one of the best, if not the best, in terms of a high performance router that fully supports open source firmware, and is reasonably affordable (especially when you can pick up a WRT1200 for $100 on Newegg, and occasionally the ACS for ~$170 - $200). 

If you'd like to exceed the performance and gain a higher level of customization, you could build your own router box for ~$350 and run a router OS, such as Sophos UTM or pfSense (while you could run OpenWrt, the  x86_x64 platform lacks a lot of the the packages that can be installed on ARM devices).  Depending on the server board bought, once could run multiple WiFi cards if more than two radios are required, as well as gaining a quad or octa core processor (Intel Atom C2558 [15w]/C2758 [20w] SOC was manufactured specifically with networking in mind, albeit not all router OSes utilize it's enhancements for network traffic; a J1900 is another popular SOC).

Just to ad that my wrt1900ac v2 is running fine with Gargoyle. both radios are stable and i have about 25 devices on the network at any one time. I all sow have 2 repeaters for my 2.4 GHZ band. All my fastest devices are in close proximity to my router.

I refer to the 1900acs
so the marvel wifi are now well supported...
i read in some old post that there were some problem with lock wifi and performance

thx for the clarification
About the kernel, do openwrt (or lede) support the control of the internal fan or something about energy saving feature, like downclock or sleep mode for ethernet port?

@Ansuel The ACS doesn't have a fan... the only model that does is the 1900ac v1

(Last edited by JW0914 on 8 Oct 2016, 13:46)

tapper wrote:

Just to ad that my wrt1900ac v2 is running fine with Gargoyle. both radios are stable and i have about 25 devices on the network at any one time. I all sow have 2 repeaters for my 2.4 GHZ band. All my fastest devices are in close proximity to my router.

Same here.

JW0914 wrote:

@Ansuel The ACS doesn't have a fan... the only model that does is the 1900ac v1

ow ok...
didn't notice that
and does openwrt support the control of it?
and what about the energy saving feature?

@Ansuel

The fan on the WRT1900AC v.1 (Mamba) is controlled through a script that triggers it when the temperature reaches a certain threshold. All other models don't have a fan. None of the models have dynamic energy features (not even in the official Linksys firmware).

nitroshift

mojolacerator wrote:

Just wondering if arokh's should be removed? no update since April 16/16

For a binary to have any value in my eyes it needs a decent live expectancy and the sources need to be available. That leaves CC, Kaloz, Arokh and as we know CC 15.05.1 has a to old wifi driver.

Non listed alternatives I'm aware off are Gargolye, DD-WRT and McDebian.

JW0914 wrote:

@lyz It sounds like it's either what @Villeneuve mentioned (corrupt download), or that the images are missing the nand patch.  Either way, console output via serial is going to be the only way to troubleshoot

Any image newer then a month still carrying the "nand" patch should be considered broken.

Wow 500 pages. Is the current wifi driver on par with the stock one stability and feature wise? I was thinking of getting an 1900ACS but I don't trust Linksys and their cloud configuration so OpenWRT is a must. Thanks.

sera wrote:

Any image newer then a month still carrying the "nand" patch should be considered broken.

Tried other kernel versions, so it wasn't this:

Hamy wrote:

Please register on vote on --sorry, I can't post a link-- , so it gets fixed soon.

The image I flashed was the same one I used on the other partition.  That should eliminate checksum issues (along with trying 5 different images).

I don't have a means to see the boot logs so I'm not much help. sad  But, partition 2 is flashed and it is working now so I'm happy.

@sera I haven't stayed up to date on patches baked into specific kernels, so I thought the nand patch was only baked into kernel 4.4.14+?

@lyze It's highly recommended to have some means of accessing the serial header on any router running custom [non-oem] firmware.  The most convenient way for new[er] users is a USB-TTL cable [or USB-TTL AJ (Audio Jack) cable if one doesn't want to have to disassemble the case to access the serial header, of which requires the installation of a 3 pin 3.5mm jack in the router's casing].

Has anyone else noticed when one builds an image, files marked as 400 or 600 [shadow, *.key, *.p12, etc.) are 644 or 664 after the image is compiled [Ubuntu VM]?  While this should be asked under a build thread, I first wanted to see if this is specific to me and/or the WRT series prior to creating a thread under the build section

(Last edited by JW0914 on 9 Oct 2016, 20:54)

JW0914 wrote:

Has anyone else noticed when one builds an image, files marked as 400 or 600 [shadow, *.key, *.p12, etc.) are 644 or 664 after the image is compiled [Ubuntu VM]?  While this should be asked under a build thread, I first wanted to see if this is specific to me and/or the WRT series prior to creating a thread under the build section

Not sure what you mean by "after the image is compiled" since the files themselves will be inside the firmware image.  However if you mean after the image is flashed on the router:

Build system
[~]$ ls -l openwrt/files/etc/shadow 
-rw------- 1 kirkb kirkb 153 Dec  5  2015 openwrt/files/etc/shadow

Router
root@routi:~# ls -l /etc/shadow
-rw-------    1 root     root           178 Oct  5 03:13 /etc/shadow

(Last edited by kirkgbr on 10 Oct 2016, 01:54)