OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Update on Linksys WRT1900AC support

The content of this topic has been archived between 16 Sep 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Philou wrote:
dysolve wrote:
Philou wrote:

I've flashed mine with lifehacksback's OpenWRT and it really seems to work faster then the linksys firmware.
It's my first time using openWRT so I'm still learning.

I'm struggling with the WIFI right now. Can't make it work in AC mode...
Also, Is it possible to have both wifis act like a single one like the linksys firmware does ?

Thanks in advance

what issues are you having? radio one is 2.4 N and second is 5 AC.

My Radio0 is in master mode with 2.4 N and works perfectly

My Radio1 is in client mode with AC and it does not work.
It says "Wireless is disabled or not associated"

For now I have given both a different ESSID.
Can I give them the same ESSID to have only 1 WIFI network ?

Some had that problem before, make sure to select a channel on the Radio1, auto does not work and it will set it to client, as it goes into client mode first to look for free channels, but never comes back apparently.

Any updates on WCS not working? i only get minimum bitrate even with max signal and i cant transfer faster than 20MB/s over Wireless 5ghz N or AC.

DavidMcWRT wrote:

Is this from the latest trunk, and so includes Kaloz's improvements?

Likewise depending on when you "cut" is, does it have the just-posted VLan stuff?

I regret I won't have time to do any testing this week, but hopefully others can pound on it smile

If all is good this could become the next known-good build, which would then likely just be the two - this one and Mcwrt.

Ps, did you do any security work on this or is it as-is as per previous builds?

Sorry for all the questions, basically just trying to see what you've rolled up into it smile

Well done for your continue work!

1) latest from trunk, so the vlan stuff should work if you install the packages through opkg. minimal build so I have not expanded the packages more than the "bare" minimum. However for a "known-good" I will try to incorporate openvpn, security, and vlan

2) no extra security except for https and ECC for dropbear (ssh) i believe. Still trying to figure out how to use ecc any help? @mmilburn smile

I really want the next "Known-good" to be as close to production ready release, however i know the limitation will always be CC not being finalized as well as the wireless driver still being in it's infancy

------------------------------------------------------------------------------\

Here is the video i promised smile

http://youtu.be/kGRCg8t5kLI

(Last edited by lifehacksback on 12 Jan 2015, 04:39)

Ok managed to change the wifi password by editing the etc/config/wireless file with vi.
Using uci didn't do it for me...
Even with the right password in the file, LuCI still shows me the wrong password (seems to be the root password). I don't know if it's a bug...

Philou wrote:

Ok managed to change the wifi password by editing the etc/config/wireless file with vi.
Even with the right password in the file, LuCI still shows me the wrong password (seems to be the root password). I don't know if it's a bug...

It's your web browser password manager. Mine does it too, I just retype the password i want, then click save and apply. Then it all worked fine

Philou wrote:

Sounds like you ran into the issue I had. If you saved the root password on the login screen and its showing up in the Wifi auth key area then you'll have to remove the saved password from your browser and this will clear up the issue. You can't save the root password for login or it screws with the wifi auth key.

Or, depending on your password managers capabilities, set it to not auto-fill on your router web address. smile

I tried to find workarounds for the bad autofill but didn't succeed yet. The problem is the browser heuristic, so it does not help to rename the field as it already differs from the login field name. If someone knows a workaround for that I'd appreciate any suggestion...

I'm following this thread for some time now. As the wifi drivers are now available, i tried to compile my own image. But i can't seem to get it to compile.

cp -fpR "/home/jeroen/openwrt/cc/target/linux/generic/files"/. "./files"/. /home/jeroen/openwrt/cc/build_dir/target-arm_cortex-a9+vfpv3_uClibc-0.9.33.2_eabi/linux-mvebu/linux-3.18.2/
find /home/jeroen/openwrt/cc/build_dir/target-arm_cortex-a9+vfpv3_uClibc-0.9.33.2_eabi/linux-mvebu/linux-3.18.2/ -name \*.rej -or -name \*.orig | xargs -r rm -f
touch /home/jeroen/openwrt/cc/build_dir/target-arm_cortex-a9+vfpv3_uClibc-0.9.33.2_eabi/linux-mvebu/linux-3.18.2/.quilt_used
touch /home/jeroen/openwrt/cc/build_dir/target-arm_cortex-a9+vfpv3_uClibc-0.9.33.2_eabi/linux-mvebu/linux-3.18.2/.prepared
if [ -s "/home/jeroen/openwrt/cc/build_dir/target-arm_cortex-a9+vfpv3_uClibc-0.9.33.2_eabi/linux-mvebu/linux-3.18.2/patches/series" ]; then (cd "/home/jeroen/openwrt/cc/build_dir/target-arm_cortex-a9+vfpv3_uClibc-0.9.33.2_eabi/linux-mvebu/linux-3.18.2"; if quilt --quiltrc=- next >/dev/null 2>&1; then quilt --quiltrc=- push -a; else quilt --quiltrc=- top >/dev/null 2>&1; fi ); fi
touch "/home/jeroen/openwrt/cc/build_dir/target-arm_cortex-a9+vfpv3_uClibc-0.9.33.2_eabi/linux-mvebu/linux-3.18.2/.quilt_checked"
/home/jeroen/openwrt/cc/scripts/kconfig.pl    > /home/jeroen/openwrt/cc/build_dir/target-arm_cortex-a9+vfpv3_uClibc-0.9.33.2_eabi/linux-mvebu/linux-3.18.2/.config.target
Parse error at /home/jeroen/openwrt/cc/scripts/kconfig.pl line 137.
make[4]: *** [/home/jeroen/openwrt/cc/build_dir/target-arm_cortex-a9+vfpv3_uClibc-0.9.33.2_eabi/linux-mvebu/linux-3.18.2/.configured] Error 255
make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/jeroen/openwrt/cc/target/linux/mvebu'
make[3]: *** [compile] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/jeroen/openwrt/cc/target/linux'
make[2]: *** [target/linux/compile] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/jeroen/openwrt/cc'
make[1]: *** [/home/jeroen/openwrt/cc/staging_dir/target-arm_cortex-a9+vfpv3_uClibc-0.9.33.2_eabi/stamp/.target_compile] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/jeroen/openwrt/cc'
make: *** [world] Error 2

What could this be? Any hints?

(Last edited by Adze on 12 Jan 2015, 13:20)

Hi...

Just want to share that I've tried to download from lifehacksback's testing link, but can't get the radio0 working on 2.4 Ghz. and the kernel seems to be still 3.18.1 not 3.18.2. an the img file name is openwrt-mvebu-armada-xp-mamba-squashfs-factory.img.

It seems like a wrong file.

Anyway, I've just flashed it again with the known-good version and it works!
Currently running on both 2.4GHz (radio0) and 5GHz (radio1).

Thanks lifehacksback for the image.

Happy... smile

(Last edited by darxtar on 12 Jan 2015, 15:42)

Can someone please test wifi AC 5GZ speed. It seems to link at 433Mbps (megabits) for me but actual file transfer speeds are around 100Mbps ( about 10MB/sec). Whereas with stock linksys FW i get over 230Mbps file transfer speed from my NAS over wifi. Everything is also on wired gigabit Lan.

alirz wrote:

Can someone please test wifi AC 5GZ speed. It seems to link at 433Mbps (megabits) for me but actual file transfer speeds are around 100Mbps ( about 10MB/sec). Whereas with stock linksys FW i get over 230Mbps file transfer speed from my NAS over wifi. Everything is also on wired gigabit Lan.

I have another AC router (Tp-Link Archer C7) acting as a wireless bridge to my downstairs media center.  Its associating at around 400Mbps (should be 800Mbps, but thats another issue I'm trying to sort out) and I'm seeing good speeds.   Doing a file transfer over the bridge i'm seeing anywhere between 30MB/sec to 20MB/sec

@camrxr  hmmm thanks. I'll do some more tests.

so your media center is hard wired into the TP link which acts as a wireless client of the linksys wrt?

alirz wrote:

@camrxr  hmmm thanks. I'll do some more tests.

so your media center is hard wired into the TP link which acts as a wireless client of the linksys wrt?

In essence, yes.

I'm very new to open wrt. Long time DD-wrt user. Trying to setup adblock. It requires package " iptables-mod-nat-extra". When i try to install it, im getting the following.

im running: OpenWrt Chaos Calmer r43853, which includes kernel " 3.18.1-1"

"Installing iptables-mod-nat-extra (1.4.21-1) to root...
Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/ … mvebu.ipk.
Multiple packages (kmod-ipt-core and kmod-ipt-core) providing same name marked HOLD or PREFER. Using latest.
Multiple packages (kmod-ipt-nat and kmod-ipt-nat) providing same name marked HOLD or PREFER. Using latest.
Collected errors:
* satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for iptables-mod-nat-extra:
*     kernel (= 3.14.27-1-9a134909592224e5a02f8d510e58ddf8) *
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package iptables-mod-nat-extra.

(Last edited by alirz on 12 Jan 2015, 20:22)

lifehacksback wrote:
DavidMcWRT wrote:

Likewise depending on when you "cut" is, does it have the just-posted VLan stuff?

I regret I won't have time to do any testing this week, but hopefully others can pound on it smile

If all is good this could become the next known-good build, which would then likely just be the two - this one and Mcwrt.

Ps, did you do any security work on this or is it as-is as per previous builds?

Sorry for all the questions, basically just trying to see what you've rolled up into it smile

Well done for your continue work!

1) latest from trunk, so the vlan stuff should work if you install the packages through opkg. minimal build so I have not expanded the packages more than the "bare" minimum. However for a "known-good" I will try to incorporate openvpn, security, and vlan

2) no extra security except for https and ECC for dropbear (ssh) i believe. Still trying to figure out how to use ecc any help? @mmilburn smile

I really want the next "Known-good" to be as close to production ready release, however i know the limitation will always be CC not being finalized as well as the wireless driver still being in it's infancy

------------------------------------------------------------------------------\

Here is the video i promised smile

http://youtu.be/kGRCg8t5kLI

Thanks for the video lifehacksback, I wish I had this 2-months ago when I bricked the router ;-) I've been following this forum since July and I wanted to say thanks to you Chadster, nitroshift, Kaloz, and everyone else who's been involved with bailing out Linksys by bringing open source support to the 1900.

I've been running the latest version of McWrt AA and decided to try the OpenWrt Chaos Calmer, both your version and the Kaloz's version, and have run into the same issue with both: the WAN interface never gets its DHCP config info from my ISP (Time Warner Cable). The WAN interface is setup to use DHCP, and it works fine with the latest version of McWrt AA (12.09.1 | Load: 1.17 1.19 1.11 ). I tried to compare all of the network and interface settings, but I must be missing something. As a result, I've had to revert back to McWrt AA, but I'd really like to be using CC as that seems to be the way ahead. Any help would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

DavidMcWRT wrote:
lifehacksback wrote:

Testing branch updated big_smile
updated to kernel 3.18.2

I don't think so, looks like it's.

DISTRIB_ID='OpenWrt'
DISTRIB_RELEASE='Bleeding Edge'
DISTRIB_REVISION='r43874'
DISTRIB_CODENAME='chaos_calmer'
DISTRIB_TARGET='mvebu/generic'
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION='OpenWrt Chaos Calmer r43874'
DISTRIB_TAINTS=''

ARM OpenWrt Linux-3.14.27

(Last edited by gufus on 12 Jan 2015, 20:49)

DavidMcWRT wrote:

@Kaloz

how does one request a package be included in openwrt?

Chadster's McWRT AA fork included ntp-utils, but CC Trunk doesn't have it.

Thanks.

Why would you need it? We do have an ntp client and server in there

lifehacksback wrote:

@Kaloz

Is there any way to use nftables? big_smile

It's packaged, but we don't officially support it yet.

gufus wrote:
DavidMcWRT wrote:
lifehacksback wrote:

Testing branch updated big_smile
updated to kernel 3.18.2

DISTRIB_ID='OpenWrt'
DISTRIB_TAINTS=''

Trunk uses 3.18.2 by default now.

Kaloz wrote:
gufus wrote:
DavidMcWRT wrote:

DISTRIB_ID='OpenWrt'
DISTRIB_TAINTS=''

Trunk uses 3.18.2 by default now.

Excellent!

Cheers from Calgary CA smile

darxtar wrote:

Hi...

Just want to share that I've tried to download from lifehacksback's testing link, but can't get the radio0 working on 2.4 Ghz. and the kernel seems to be still 3.18.1 not 3.18.2. an the img file name is openwrt-mvebu-armada-xp-mamba-squashfs-factory.img.

It seems like a wrong file.

Anyway, I've just flashed it again with the known-good version and it works!
Currently running on both 2.4GHz (radio0) and 5GHz (radio1).

Thanks lifehacksback for the image.

Happy... smile

How did you upgrade? Did you McWRT --> linksys --> CC? If you dont have a usb-to-tty follow that upgrade route big_smile Also yes the name of the package *is* openwrt-mvebu-armada-xp-mamba-squashfs-factory.img tongue That's the name after compile big_smile

Update:
I'm sorry you were right I guess the link to a specific file will do just that tongue I updated the wiki to link to a specific folder where i will be uploading the *correct* updated img big_smile Sorry about that

(Last edited by lifehacksback on 12 Jan 2015, 23:52)

Kaloz wrote:
DavidMcWRT wrote:

@Kaloz

Thanks.

In neither McWRT AA or OpenWRT CC have I been able to get the built-in server to work - the (LAN) clients just don't want to connect.  Stopping the built in one, installing the ntpd package, and starting that, all clients connect successfully to the router.

I can see what reference server is currently selected by running ntpq -p on the clients, but this won't tell me the other servers the router is or isn't also taking into account, nor what the router's stats (offset, etc.) are.

As mentioned ntp-utils (and thus ntpq) was available in McWRT, but not for OpenWRT CC/Trunk.

(Last edited by DavidMcWRT on 13 Jan 2015, 00:47)

I had started a new thread for another of my issues but thought i would put it here too as this thread is wrt1900ac specific.

To keep it short and simple. I have all wired gigabit network. All pc's, NAS are hard wired.
Router: wrt1900ac, running "OpenWrt Chaos Calmer r43853 "

radio0:Wifi N only, 40MHZ,
radio1: Wifi AC only, 80MHZ, channel 48 (complete free, no other routers around)

With stock linksys FW my wifi AC speeds are pretty good . I'm testing with my phone. I can hit 22 MB/sec for file transfer from my NAS

With openwrt my wifi AC speeds are less than quarter of the oem. I get about 4.8MB/sec.

Am i doing something wrong? Could somone please help me with some suggestion or some key config i might have forgotten.

Even though the wifi client is connected at over 400Mbps, this is what i see under the wifi radio on the router, it shows bitrate to be 6Mbit for some reason, even though my file transfers seem to be happening at 55mbits:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4883446/status.JPG

(Last edited by alirz on 13 Jan 2015, 02:44)

DavidMcWRT wrote:
Kaloz wrote:
DavidMcWRT wrote:

@Kaloz

Thanks.

In neither McWRT AA or OpenWRT CC have I been able to get the built-in server to work - the (LAN) clients just don't want to connect.  Stopping the built in one, installing the ntpd package, and starting that, all clients connect successfully to the router.

I can see what reference server is currently selected by running ntpq -p on the clients, but this won't tell me the other servers the router is or isn't also taking into account, nor what the router's stats (offset, etc.) are.

As mentioned ntp-utils (and thus ntpq) was available in McWRT, but not for OpenWRT CC/Trunk.

I also note that while it is admittedly quite out of date in content, the openwrt wiki does state "If the default ... isn't sufficient, one of the following alternate ntpd packages can be installed" - and lists ntp-utils as one of them.
( http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/ntp.client )

(Last edited by DavidMcWRT on 13 Jan 2015, 02:36)

Sorry, posts 2326 to 2325 are missing from our archive.