OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Optimized and feature rich trunk build for select routers

The content of this topic has been archived between 20 Aug 2014 and 5 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

@moxu

There is no difference to building the different versions. It does not matter if you are compiling in a Docker container or virtualized in any way as that would be exactly like a normal environment. As long as you have the build prerequisities installed it should be as simple as "make menuconfig && make V=99". I can't understand that you tried 10+ times and did not manage to build smile Did you create a thread in the forum with your error? The error message should tell you exactly what went wrong, so with the internet at your disposal it should be easy to fix.

You don't actually need to compile your own either. You can just go with the stable releases or a snapshot if you like.

(Last edited by arokh on 5 Jul 2016, 12:50)

@arokh

after writing that comment I built the image perfectly on my first try with no errors.. tongue

Without any modifications or patches everything worked... One of my favorite features of openwrt that is the ability to to install packages avail in the ecosystem, but the main feed is using a different kernel... so I can't really download much anymore using this optimized build. Yet - this image is  so much better than what I could theoretically create with any default image - I'd choose this over a default basline everytime, even if I can't  install additional packages.

So I guess my 2 questions are really about:

1) is there a way to access a list of packages that are all compatible with the current image? Maybe if it's all on git there's a possiblity of downloading the lastest commit with compatibilty with the kernel used.

2) Now that I know I can  build a baseline image, what's the minimal amount of effort necessary to modify the patches for compatibility with whatever's currently considered 'trunk'?

That's why I'm posting ihere instead of in general - because I want to learn how to build this image specifically, because it's awesome.

(Last edited by moxu on 6 Jul 2016, 05:14)

@moxu

Good to hear, congrats smile Indeed, kernel modules needs to be installed from the same build. In some cases you can force install different versions, but it's not recommended. Regular packages should work fine when installed from the feeds though.

1. If it's compatibility you're after, compile from a release branch. Then "opkg list" will be it.

2. i don't understand your question, could you be more specific about what you're trying to do?

There is no difference to compile this image, it's OpenWrt.

arokh wrote:

@moxu

Good to hear, congrats smile Indeed, kernel modules needs to be installed from the same build. In some cases you can force install different versions, but it's not recommended. Regular packages should work fine when installed from the feeds though.

1. If it's compatibility you're after, compile from a release branch. Then "opkg list" will be it.

2. i don't understand your question, could you be more specific about what you're trying to do?

There is no difference to compile this image, it's OpenWrt.

Thanks, just needed to start with the fundamentals. What am I trying to do?

1) learn because I'm curious of how it all works

2) customize the firmware for my own personal usage / autonomy so that I feel confident doing it on my own

3) once I'm I feel competent in the process, I want to eventually share what I've done - maybe sharing a custom build if it's something I feel is novel and potentially useful to others - and maybe share some scripts that could help further automate the process and lower the barrier of entry for others to contribute. I think increased participation and creativity is a good thing (although I come from npm / GitHub land so I'm biased just there's just so many people involved and publishing).

There aren't that people here, but open source firmware for routers is really important for the future of the 'internet'. With so much political, corporate, and psychological opposition against progress, it just calls to me. That's why.

Well good on ya moxu! I'm going the completely stark raving mad route of cherry picking my build. Trying to use Lede as the base, and then use the patches for the features I need on my C7 from arok, and a few patches from Hnyman. I think I'll just try and build a plain vanilla, and then add in features as I go. (Arok, is there any kind of attribution I need to add if I use your patches/diffs/file scripts?)

In any case, hope you are doing well and enjoying whatever endeavor you're embarking on now!

Edit: I'm building for the 3700v2 as well, that's why I mentioned Hnyman, sorry...

(Last edited by SoAMG on 8 Jul 2016, 22:32)

Not at all, use whatever you like.

Hmmm. Missing a lot of informations in that lede project. For me, as a user, its not easy to get an overview whats good and what not. A great pity that arokhs builds are ending sad

Regards and thanks for your work

OpenWrt has no commits for two weeks now, while LEDE is going strong. Looks like most of the devs moved there, so I'll be rebasing on that if I pick it up again. Waiting for the price of the TP-Link C2600 to go down tongue

Woooo!!! Please!
You're the best!

arokh wrote:

OpenWrt has no commits for two weeks now, while LEDE is going strong. Looks like most of the devs moved there, so I'll be rebasing on that if I pick it up again. Waiting for the price of the TP-Link C2600 to go down tongue

Dont judge me - i miss a lot of infos. Is that stable? I guees arohk cant stany here for a new build on lede basis?
There are only that mailing lists? Im using mailing lists around 2000-2006 but its not so comfortable (my point of view and my problem, i know wink ).

All i see sounds very  interesseting but im not safe about using it.

@sera

Ah, so they moved to github? Guess I'll have to read up on commits when the time comes.

Hexxer2 wrote:

Dont judge me - i miss a lot of infos. Is that stable? I guees arohk cant stany here for a new build on lede basis?
There are only that mailing lists? Im using mailing lists around 2000-2006 but its not so comfortable (my point of view and my problem, i know wink ).

All i see sounds very  interesseting but im not safe about using it.

right now I don't think many people are confident that either LEDE or OpenWRT are safe.

a lot of the manpower from OpenWRT went to LEDE, but they are in the 'getting off the ground' stage. They plan to add forums, but have not yet. They seem to be focusing on setting up proper governance and getting things stable for a release (including build farms, etc) more than getting forums up

@arokh -  I have a lot  of  respect for you making this build - It's non trivial and time consuming hmm what prevented me from compiling are a frw dependecies that never resolved to a URL - it's frustrating.

Anyways, some feedback - (for anyone
Whose curious)The deps prob need to be updated to continue building. That's a bout it - but it's not automagick unfortunately.

One way this could be potentially be alleviated would be to leverage the layers of a docker container. Because each stage becomes an 'immutable' layer that's hashed and addressable and reusable and cached.

The current options are to compile from source  - communnity builds - and snapshots.
With docker - we could just use the layer of container as the source instead of third party libraries that change. It's like a snapshot - and with the right snap shots - 1-3
hours might taken 15-20 minutes. I dunno. It's like... a makefile. Just like makefiles build source code - docker runs makefiles and creates reusable layers. The process would be identical, except we':d have snapshots and an ability to share thr exact work environment  - no more instructions.

I apologize again for rambling - I just want a stable build - and lede is currently more stable than chaos calmer even though it's inconsistent and who knows if a nightly build was published while someobody was half way through patching a kernel extension. And is it being tested at all?

(Last edited by moxu on 16 Jul 2016, 05:12)

Here are some LEDE builds, working fine on my wdr4900. The site it's in romanian but you can google translate it.
https://swrt.ro/firmware

@coxmobil thanks - I had to edit my post because I started writing about LEDE's inconsistencies due to fast iteration cycles - BUT - I came back here to say that they have a build suite with some documentation regarding what changed - it's not easy to find.. but it exists! If I'm bored one day maybe I'll just create the forum. I haven't contacted anybody because they use an EMAIL LIST but I'lll ask on the IRC - mostly just curious about people's experience with it. I think they need a web dev with some free time - which is why there's no wiki or forum (and the site's on github explicitly asking for help). Make myself useful.

(Last edited by moxu on 16 Jul 2016, 17:20)

Forum would be nice, it's a chore to use irc if you have any questions but no time to hang around waiting for an answer or to catch someone who knows.

arokh wrote:

@sera

Ah, so they moved to github? Guess I'll have to read up on commits when the time comes.

So it would appear, even with drone, communication is still as bad as always. The pace seems to be picking up though.

Either way, both openwrt and lede had seen rather disruptive changes in the code base and you might get more bugs than fixes if updating now.

TOR access issue

Hi I followed the instructions how to setup TOR access but with no success.
1. I have the dedicated SSID for it.
2. I have started the TOR service

So, when I want to access www.bbc.co.uk, I get:
1. a button to press saying: "All internet traffic will be sent through the Tor network"
2. pressing the button results with an error from Firefox saying: "Unable to connect"
3. pinging to 212.58.244.66 (BBC) results with "Reply from 192.168.2.1: Destination port unreachable"

How do I solve the problem?

On a bit of a different topic: I want actually to setup a Guest access instead of, or along with, the Tor access. TOR is less important for me as it just serves as a guest access point. Is it possible to add Guest access for the next release of this firmware. This feature is very useful in our office, where we want to separate our guests from our internal network while leaving them some bandwidth to surf.

@moxu

I'm having a hard time understanding what you are saying. You are talking about dependency problems, but I can't see any error output or reference to a thread where you describe the issue. I can't see how a Docker container will help your situation either, and I'm quite adept with it having several dockerfiles and containers on the hub. I suggest you start creating threads in the general section when you have problems, and tackle one problem at a time.

@it-ats

Sounds like your Tor service is not working. Please post output of 'logread'. Is this on a clean flash, nothing modified? You're not supposed to be able to ping from the guest network, only TCP connections are let through and redirected to the Tor daemon once you've clicked the button.

If you just want guest access, there are guides on the wiki for doing that. As for new releases, see my recent posts about that.

-- Edit --
As per the answer I got I reduced all the clutter from the original message leaving only the relevant log lines

arokh wrote:

@it-ats

Sounds like your Tor service is not working. Please post output of 'logread'. Is this on a clean flash, nothing modified? You're not supposed to be able to ping from the guest network, only TCP connections are let through and redirected to the Tor daemon once you've clicked the button.

If you just want guest access, there are guides on the wiki for doing that. As for new releases, see my recent posts about that.

Thank you arokh for your prompt response.

The ROM somewhat new, I did add OpenVPN LUCI interface and setup few network shares.

Log:

Mon Jul 18 21:49:45 2016 daemon.info tor[3410]: Jul 18 21:49:45.124 [notice] Opening Transparent pf/netfilter listener on 0.0.0.0:9040
Mon Jul 18 21:49:45 2016 daemon.info tor[3410]: Jul 18 21:49:45.124 [warn] Error setting configured user: tor not found
Mon Jul 18 21:49:45 2016 daemon.info tor[3410]: Jul 18 21:49:45.125 [warn] Failed to parse/validate config: Problem with User value. See logs for details.
Mon Jul 18 21:49:45 2016 daemon.info tor[3410]: Jul 18 21:49:45.125 [err] Reading config failed--see warnings above.

(Last edited by it-ats on 19 Jul 2016, 18:14)

arokh wrote:

@it-ats

• I did try one of the guides for the guest network and failed miserably rendering my router completely unusable and had to re-flash it. I thought I can "take a ride" on the configuration of the Tor network having a guest network similar to Tor without the Tor service. Something like a simplified version of the TOR network configuration.

• Thanks, I'll have a look in this thread for other releases

Many thanks

Mon Jul 18 21:49:45 2016 daemon.info tor[3410]: Jul 18 21:49:45.124 [notice] Opening Transparent pf/netfilter listener on 0.0.0.0:9040
Mon Jul 18 21:49:45 2016 daemon.info tor[3410]: Jul 18 21:49:45.124 [warn] Error setting configured user: tor not found
Mon Jul 18 21:49:45 2016 daemon.info tor[3410]: Jul 18 21:49:45.125 [warn] Failed to parse/validate config: Problem with User value. See logs for details.
Mon Jul 18 21:49:45 2016 daemon.info tor[3410]: Jul 18 21:49:45.125 [err] Reading config failed--see warnings above.

Here you can see the problem, the tor user does not exist on your router and so the tor daemon does not start. Do a clean flash and test again, the user should be there.

arokh wrote:

Here you can see the problem, the tor user does not exist on your router and so the tor daemon does not start. Do a clean flash and test again, the user should be there.

thank you very much. I'll check that out

(Last edited by it-ats on 21 Jul 2016, 23:56)

@all

I have a very strange issue. I have installed this build. Now i want to flush other builds.

but there is some error message:

root@OpenWrt tmp# sysupgrade -n lede-mvebu-armada-385-linksys-cobra-squashfs-sysupgrade.tar

killall: watchdog: no process killed
Sending TERM to remaining processes ... logd rpcd netifd odhcpd portmap crond uhttpd uhttpd vsftpd collectd usbmuxd aria2c ntpd transmission-da vsftpd /sbin/sysupgrade: line 237: can't open /proc/29595/cmdline: no such file
vsftpd dnsmasq miniupnpd ubusd askfirst
Sending KILL to remaining processes ... askfirst
Switching to ramdisk...
Performing system upgrade...
Cannot parse config file: No such file or directory
Cannot parse config file: No such file or directory
Error: environment not initialized
cannot find target partition

my router is a wrt1900ac v2

please help me!