OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Pogoplug Mobile - Potentially the Best OpenWRT Platform @ $10 shipped

The content of this topic has been archived between 8 Feb 2018 and 30 Apr 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

The Pogoplug Mobile (POGO-V4-A1-01) is being cleared out for less than $7.50 shipped on Ebay and Amazon -http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005GM1Q1O

[Edit] - Price increased by over 25%! Now $10.

Pogoplug Mobile
Pogoplug Mobile

Specification:
Processor: Marvell Kirkwood 800MHz  (ARM)
RAM: 128MB
NAND (Internal Flash): 128MB
1 USB
1 MMC/SD Slot
Gigabit Ethernet

Potentially this could be one of the best and cheapest OpenWRT platform. However currently, I don't think OpenWRT is officially supported or working. Most people currently run Arch Linux ARM or Debian on the Pogoplug. However, OpenWRT is much more lean and can definitely better utilize the 128MB internal flash.

I'm able to boot OpenWRT AA 12.09 from USB flash drive on the Pogoplug E02 (a very close cousin of the Mobile with a faster CPU and more memory, but hard to find), however using the same USB drive on the Pogoplug Mobile results in hanging at "Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel." I'm fairly confident my uboot environment configuration is correct, so I suspect an issue with OpenWRT.

What can I do to get more information as to why it stops at "Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.". I have a serial console connection and a OpenWRT build environment (assuming I need to enable some sort of debugging). I'll post my console log tonight.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

KK

(Last edited by King0fK0ng on 19 Aug 2014, 23:47)

Interesting.  Can you post photos of the circuit board?  Does it have wifi?

(Last edited by lizby on 23 Jul 2014, 18:26)

No wifi

@KingofKong
You mentioned "I'm able to boot OpenWRT AA 12.09 from USB flash drive on the Pogoplug E02 ".
I have a couple of these. Can you provide a bit of detail. I have flashed the internal memory but could not get the usbflash drive to work.

Thanks
~john

johnisaacson wrote:

@KingofKong
You mentioned "I'm able to boot OpenWRT AA 12.09 from USB flash drive on the Pogoplug E02 ".
I have a couple of these. Can you provide a bit of detail. I have flashed the internal memory but could not get the usbflash drive to work.

Thanks
~john

Hi John,

I used this tutorial - http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/dockstar_sandbox, specifically the "Installing OpenWRT onto a USB stick or HDD" section.

Are you saying you got OpenWRT running on internal flash memory, but couldn't get it to work on usb flash?

KK

Hello King0fK0ng and thanks for the tip.

If you search under the forums with my name "johnisaacson" I posted a write up on how to flash the internal flash.

2012-12-17 14:06:17

Topic: Pink Pogoplug e02 with Openwrt

I tried to get the usb working at that time but had no luck. I missed the above info you gave.

I want to try OpenWRT once I have finished my current project on these units.

~john

Here you go...
http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii606/vector108/Pogoplug%20Mobile/PogoPCBs1a.png
http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii606/vector108/Pogoplug%20Mobile/PogoPCBs2.png

lizby wrote:

Interesting.  Can you post photos of the circuit board?  Does it have wifi?

(Last edited by vector108 on 30 Jul 2014, 21:57)

Any further luck in getting openWrt running?  Which pads give you serial console?

lizby wrote:

Any further luck in getting openWrt running?  Which pads give you serial console?

Here's the serial console info from someone's previous post: http://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic … =14#p31373  Interestingly, the silkscreened info is missing from the (more recent?) PCB photos I posted. 

I've been messing with Arch Linux and haven't made any headway with OpenWrt.

vector108 wrote:
lizby wrote:

Any further luck in getting openWrt running?  Which pads give you serial console?

Here's the serial console info from someone's previous post: http://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic … =14#p31373  Interestingly, the silkscreened info is missing from the (more recent?) PCB photos I posted. 

I've been messing with Arch Linux and haven't made any headway with OpenWrt.

Based on this thread, I now have a unit for hacking. It runs Debian from both SD card and USB. It boots OpenWRT (Pogoplug E02 but not Generic) from TFTP as a ramdisk image, which I believe isn't built by default. However, the IO line mapping is incorrect: eject button, SD card, and LEDs do not work. I am unsure how to correctly fix this.

Here is a tutorial I put together for hacking the Pogoplug Mobile with ArchLinux or Debian for anyone interested.

Hacking the Pogoplug v4 (Series 4 and Mobile) with Linux (Debian or Arch)
http://blog.qnology.com/2014/07/hacking … obile.html

Did I get that right? To run OpenWRT on this device,
- I first follow the steps of graymans tutorial up to and including "Boot default Pogoplug OS when USB/SD Card not attached (optional)"
- after that, I install OpenWRT on a SD card as described here http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/docks … .resources

Correct?

Sound's too simple smile

beata wrote:

Based on this thread, I now have a unit for hacking. It runs Debian from both SD card and USB. It boots OpenWRT (Pogoplug E02 but not Generic) from TFTP as a ramdisk image, which I believe isn't built by default. However, the IO line mapping is incorrect: eject button, SD card, and LEDs do not work. I am unsure how to correctly fix this.

Good info @beata!

Any ideas on how we go about getting the "Kirkwood Pogoplug E02" built as part of Barrier Breaker RC4/Final? Currently only "Kirkwood Generic" is available.

[Edit] - Not sure if it's the best way, but I opened a "enhancement" ticket requesting Kirkwood->Pogoplug E02 be included in BB RC4/Final.

(Last edited by King0fK0ng on 20 Aug 2014, 00:56)

Are you sure E02 is the right image for the Pogoplug mobile? The E02 is an older device, and at least for uboot, ALARM, etc. the images are not the same.

tmo26 wrote:

Did I get that right? To run OpenWRT on this device,
- I first follow the steps of graymans tutorial up to and including "Boot default Pogoplug OS when USB/SD Card not attached (optional)"
- after that, I install OpenWRT on a SD card as described here http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/docks … .resources

Correct?

Sound's too simple smile

Close, but...
1) use ext3
2) rename and place uImage file under /boot folder
3) haven't tested with SD Card, only USB

(Last edited by King0fK0ng on 20 Aug 2014, 19:03)

drawz wrote:

Are you sure E02 is the right image for the Pogoplug mobile? The E02 is an older device, and at least for uboot, ALARM, etc. the images are not the same.

Yes, I can confirm that the E02 version works on the Mobile. BTW, the ALARM rootfs is the same for both the v4 and E02. uBoot is different partially because they were built by different people using different sources. The underlying hardware is very similar.

Has anyone been able to install OpenWrt to NAND on the Pogoplug Mobile?

And if I understand correctly, the eject button, SD card, and LEDs are still not working with OpenWrt on the Mobile?

King0fK0ng wrote:
drawz wrote:

Are you sure E02 is the right image for the Pogoplug mobile?

Yes, I can confirm that the E02 version works on the Mobile.


I'm confused. Here you say that E02 version works on the Mobile, while in your initial post, you say that the E02 version does not work on the Mobile:

King0fK0ng wrote:

I'm able to boot OpenWRT AA 12.09 from USB flash drive on the Pogoplug E02 (a very close cousin of the Mobile with a faster CPU and more memory, but hard to find), however using the same USB drive on the Pogoplug Mobile results in hanging at "Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel."

Which rootfs and uImage did you use, generic or harddisk (and btw: what's the difference between those two?)?

generic
https://downloads.openwrt.org/attitude_ … tfs.tar.gz
https://downloads.openwrt.org/attitude_ … ood-uImage

harddisk
https://downloads.openwrt.org/attitude_ … tfs.tar.gz
https://downloads.openwrt.org/attitude_ … ood-uImage

tmo26 wrote:
King0fK0ng wrote:
drawz wrote:

Are you sure E02 is the right image for the Pogoplug mobile?

Yes, I can confirm that the E02 version works on the Mobile.


I'm confused. Here you say that E02 version works on the Mobile, while in your initial post, you say that the E02 version does not work on the Mobile:

King0fK0ng wrote:

I'm able to boot OpenWRT AA 12.09 from USB flash drive on the Pogoplug E02 (a very close cousin of the Mobile with a faster CPU and more memory, but hard to find), however using the same USB drive on the Pogoplug Mobile results in hanging at "Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel."

Which rootfs and uImage did you use, generic or harddisk (and btw: what's the difference between those two?)?

generic
https://downloads.openwrt.org/attitude_ … tfs.tar.gz
https://downloads.openwrt.org/attitude_ … ood-uImage

harddisk
https://downloads.openwrt.org/attitude_ … tfs.tar.gz
https://downloads.openwrt.org/attitude_ … ood-uImage

It's a little complicated. OpenWRT AA 12.09 does not work on the Mobile. You need to build Barrier Breaker (Pogoplug E02 not generic). I've requested that BB (Kirkwood->Pogoplug E02) to be included in the next BB release (RC4 or Final).

(Last edited by King0fK0ng on 20 Aug 2014, 23:09)

King0fK0ng wrote:


It's a little complicated. OpenWRT AA 12.09 does not work on the Mobile. You need to build the Barrier Breaker (Pogoplug E02 not generic).

How about trunk (CC)?

roger_ wrote:
King0fK0ng wrote:


It's a little complicated. OpenWRT AA 12.09 does not work on the Mobile. You need to build the Barrier Breaker (Pogoplug E02 not generic).

How about trunk (CC)?

Haven't tested it, but I would assume it would work considering BB and CC isn't much difference at this point.

King0fK0ng wrote:
roger_ wrote:
King0fK0ng wrote:


It's a little complicated. OpenWRT AA 12.09 does not work on the Mobile. You need to build the Barrier Breaker (Pogoplug E02 not generic).

How about trunk (CC)?

Haven't tested it, but I would assume it would work considering BB and CC isn't much difference at this point.

I'll try to play with it and see if the SD card slot works yet. Hopefully someone can figure out how to do a NAND install.

BTW I've started a wiki page here: http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/cloudengines/pogo-v4

(Last edited by roger_ on 21 Aug 2014, 01:28)

I'm trying to compile a trunk image for E02 (for use with the Mobile version, preferrably on SD card, but on USB thumb drive would also be OK), yet I'm a bit overwhelmed by the "Target Images" configuration options in menuconfig.

As I learned from this thread, I need
1) rootfs (tar.gz)
2) uImage

Assumption: In menuconfig, select
- Root filesystem archives -> tar.gz
- Root filesystem images -> none of the options needed
- Image Options -> Include kernel in root filesystem -> uImage

Am I right so far?

What about "Root filesystem partition size"? Currently this is set to 48MB. Does this mean, that the media (SD or USB drive) the rootfs will be copied to needs to have exactly this size, or what is the meaning of this config option?

King0fK0ng:

Can you post your OpenWrt bootlog for the Pogoplug Mobile? I'd like to add it to the wiki page.

Also if you could take a look and see if the steps on the wiki are correct then that would be great smile

@roger: Great that you started a Wiki page about the Pogoplug Mobile! smile

roger_ wrote:

King0fK0ng:
Also if you could take a look and see if the steps on the wiki are correct then that would be great smile

The E02 Image you linked (http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/kirkwood/) does not work.
As King0fK0ng explained here https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 8#p244418, the generic one (see above) doesn't work. Instead, you have to compile your own image for the Pogoplug E02.