OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Installing OpenWrt in Xiaomi Wifi Mini

The content of this topic has been archived between 8 Feb 2018 and 5 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

install official openwrt image that's how you fix it

I Think Now is Latest Version is good From old one... smile smile

addisonadolf00, which version do you mean ?

omuskie wrote:

But, when I fired up the "nano", I got:

root@OpenWrt:~# nano
nano: can't load library 'libc.so.1'
root@OpenWrt:~#

Any clue how to fix it? Thanks.

Yes:

ln -s /lib/libc.so.0 /lib/libc.so.1

Has anybody managed to get rndis working on the [modified] pandora firmware?

I use a ZTE MF90 for internet access, connected to the USB port. Comes up as usb0 under CC and works just fine.

The [modified] pandora firmware is of interest to me, iff I can use my rndis device with it.  Looks like all the relevant packages are available on the .cn repository.

Cheers,
Nik.

I finally had a look at my Xiaomi WiFi Mini and tried to setup OpenWrt using this guide with Strange Oranges Optimal firmware. I found that any settings made via shell or webinterface will be lost at reboot. Is this an intended behavior? Do I really need to build my own version that in turn will be read-only as well?

What version of OpenWrt do you recommend for the Xiaomi WiFi Mini? I read a lot of comments that the version provided here should be unstable, but all other "stable" versions appear to be in Chinese only.

By the way, I wasn't to boot the alternative bootloader Breed as well, because the u-boot mtd is locked. jffs2reset didn't help. In the OpenWrt Wiki there is a hint concerning WRTNode, but I couldn't find a version for Xiaomi WiFi Mini.

(Last edited by alexschomb on 9 Mar 2016, 19:45)

i'm running stock openwrt CC-final and a development DD-build on my minis. No special builds simply pulled them from the downloads section.

AFAIK there is no instability with openwrt as such. the issues are related to power output of the wireless, and as a result   stability issues of the wireless.

my mini (running CC) hasn't been rebooted in ages, wireless power is indeed lower than it should be, but suffices for my setup. I do see some issues on 5Ghz, so i am not using that at the moment. (5G seemed to work at first, but connections are dropped regularly).

my advice would be to start with CC, see if 2.4Ghz power is sufficient for you.
and then try with the chinese builds.
if you absolutely must have 5G, than i'm sad to say the mini is not ready yet - none of the firmwares IMO.

i'm using 5G since i got the router - from aug 2015, 99% of the time i have no problems and you can see how good it performs from this test: https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/20335#comment:21. no idea what you talking about.

Thanks for both your answers!

Can you provide me a link to your dev builds of DD-Wrt? I couldn't find a matching build on their FTP server. I'll definitely have a look at the CC final build (wasn't aware there is one). I hope StrangeOrange / PandoraBox WiFi fixes will be integrated into future OpenWRT snapshots / builds.

@anarchy99: Which build do you use?

(Last edited by alexschomb on 10 Mar 2016, 20:52)

I gave CC final a try and found it stable, but not fully functional. My LED configuration (from webinterface) wouldn't be applied and I'm experiencing WiFi problems as well. 2,4 GHz WiFI seems to be working, but only with 20 MHz bandwidth. 5 GHz WiFi "is disabled or not associated" when using auto channel and can't be found by clients when setting a channel manually. These things worked with Strange Oranges read-only image.

augustus_meyer wrote:

My few cents:
Breed Bootloader to be installed from within Minirouter after Pandorabox:

cd /tmp
wget http://breed.hackpascal.net/breed-mt762 … i-mini.bin
mtd write breed-mt7620-xiaomi-mini.bin u-boot

Note, that bootloader is in Chinese. You might want to install Chromes auto translation feature from Chinese to German/English
before accessing the bootloader during boot (press resetbutton and apply power to minirouter).
Access 192.168.1.1 in Chrome.
Minirouter does dhcp.

How does one install Chrome's auto translation feature for (I'm assuming) offline use?

Thanks.

(Last edited by unmesh on 12 Mar 2016, 08:55)

alexschomb wrote:

I gave CC final a try and found it stable, but not fully functional. My LED configuration (from webinterface) wouldn't be applied and I'm experiencing WiFi problems as well. 2,4 GHz WiFI seems to be working, but only with 20 MHz bandwidth. 5 GHz WiFi "is disabled or not associated" when using auto channel and can't be found by clients when setting a channel manually. These things worked with Strange Oranges read-only image.

hi alex,
yes, i forgot to mention the LED - the mini is tucked away somewhere so i don't really see it that often :-p

anyway, have you checked the region setting for 5G?
cfr: http://oxmini.blogspot.be/2015/09/1505-is-here.html

wrt to 5G instability, DD is indeed much better than CC, but didn't hit the WAF yet.
but to be fair, it's been some time since i've upgraded, maybe recent DD's are indeed better. 
(mine is november-ish and 'looks' stable wink

i never checked FTP, i just get latest from here
https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots … pgrade.bin

(Last edited by undef2 on 12 Mar 2016, 08:10)

Hi, I've a very big issue. I absolutely love the FW @strangeorange has put together. My issue is that I have a 4g stick, a e3372, that I want to connect with the router. In CC it works by installing mod-usb-net-cdc-ether, usb-modeswitch and udev. In 14.07 however, udev isn't found, and the the stick doesn't work either...
Any ideas?

I have installed PandoraBox R2 14.09 and I need support for mounting network drive (samba/cifs) but  packages for this (kmod-fs-cifs, cifs.mount (or cifs-utils)) are not in repo.
Is there any chance that someone make it?

kvn1351 wrote:

Hi, I've a very big issue. I absolutely love the FW @strangeorange has put together. My issue is that I have a 4g stick, a e3372, that I want to connect with the router. In CC it works by installing mod-usb-net-cdc-ether, usb-modeswitch and udev. In 14.07 however, udev isn't found, and the the stick doesn't work either...
Any ideas?

Have your tried ROOter? it is based on OpenWRT and has very rich modem support.

http://ofmodemsandmen.com/downloadsp.html

(Last edited by unmesh on 15 Mar 2016, 18:54)

Btw, does anyone knows what happened to StrangeOrange ? Seems there will be no update ever. ;-(

The latest firmware from "Maestro" StrangeOrange is running fine for me, except of one thing which is very very annoying. I'm not able to troubleshoot it so if someone got some idea, I will be really glad.

I'm using another AP, Mikrotik to connect via 2.4 to the Xiaomi Mini which is then connected to the WAN...all runs fine, except of one case - I have computer connected over LAN to that Mikrotik and if I start this computer 3 times over the day (I reboot each day at 3AM), the 2.4 connection between Mikrotik and Xiaomi get broken (it is connected but no data packets are transmitted). All other 2.4GHz even 5GHz works fine, but not this one between Mikrotik and Xiaomi. Only reboot resolve it.

Yes and really I'm not making any joke here. I have no idea how this can influence the connection....

I have the Breed bootloader installed and can get to it but it errors out regardless of what firmware package I try to get it to load. I've tried both OpenWRT factory vs upgrade.

Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

P.S.: I used Breed to create a backup of the installed firmware. It was able to reinstall that file so it looks like a file structure issue of some sort.

(Last edited by unmesh on 16 Mar 2016, 02:53)

Hey,

Greetings from Finland. I've been following this topic and I wanted
to share my experiences with the Xiaomi Wifi Mini router.

I got this little white box couple months ago and first installed stable release of Chaos Calmer. Btw, during the installation I skipped the android-app-ssh-part and just used telnet connection to do 'mtd write' for the new firmware (Openwrt firmware was on the mounted usb-stick)..the main Wiki Page should be updated, installation is much simpler that way..

On software side, everything was working pretty stable with OpenWrt CC, but noticed as well that the 2.4Ghz signal was weak. What I have read here, that seems to be an typical issue without the non-proprietary wifi-module source codes..

Next, I decided to try out some other firmware instead (with the better wifi support)..First I replaced stock u-boot with breed-mt7620-xiaomi-mini.bin (read about that from this topic, thanks for the tip!). Did a check -> cat /proc/mtd and I installed breed over the u-boot partition, and it worked..Breed is really cool tool to install new firmware and a good safety measure as well. 

Downloaded Breed for Xiaomi Wifi Mini:

https://routerclub.ru/upload/upload/bre … -mini.bin/

Then I did some research and founded that the same SoC (Mediatek 7260A), the mainboard of this Xiaomi box, is used by various other manufactures on many different commercial routers too (like Asus, Buffalo, Lenovo routers, etc.)..I'm little bit of fan of Asus and decided to install Asus firmware on my box. Then I looked for a Asus  device with similar SoC, Memory and the flash size. And I founded a virtual couple for my Xiaomi box: ASUS RT-AC54U.

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/ASUS_RT-AC54U/

My (another) Frankenstein-dream was about to come true:
Xiaomi & <3 Asus :-)

..Furthermore founded out that there's russian hacker called Andy Padavan,  who is modifying and developing 3rd party firmware for ASUS devices, pushing the Asus devices to do more tricks than the stock firmware..Checked that he has been  developing firmwares for a long time (no backdoors founded from those firmwares so far), so it seemed forth to try out one of his creations. So my final firmware choice was 'RT-AC54U_3.4.3.9-099_base.trx' firmware which I downloaded from:

https://bitbucket.org/padavan/rt-n56u/downloads/

..I used Breed to install that firmware and it worked!

Now my Xiaomi Wifi Mini box is running latest RT-AC54U 3.4.3.9-00 firmware: GUI-config is nice and working great, firmware is stable and fast..And the Wifi 2.4Ghz  signal is really strong (compared to OpenWrt CC)..Furthermore the USB port is working, LAN ports are working..Only flaw that I have founded so far is that only 64Mt memory is used (I wonder why the rest of RAM isn't allocated..)..I only use 2,4Ghz, so I have no experience about the 5Gghz Wifi. Also there's a possibility to install extra software to USB-ext-formated device (entware pkgs)

http://entware.wl500g.info/binaries/ent … kages.html

So If you're interested, you should try out this  firmware too..I'm pretty happy with it so far. Btw, Writing this post with my Acer Hackinstosh computer, which is running the latest El Capitan with all updates ;-)

Cheers,

Yogibear

(Last edited by yogibear on 17 Mar 2016, 05:06)

Oh, Padavan has even created specific firmware for this Xiaomi router, that's very nice :-)

I'll definitely try out that firmware, thanks for the tip.

My Acer is Veriton M680G. I reckon, it's a good base for hackintosh project, the mainboard is pretty much all Intel based chips (close enough to older mac pro). Newer iMacs are all built from small laptop parts (too thin designs to fit proper GPU's etc parts anymore..And that new Mac Pro is ridicously expensive and no proper GPU either..So I'm pretty happy with my iAcer with Intel i7 4-core CPU,12Gt of RAM, 3 hard drivers and a proper GPU (Nvidia GTX-750)..

//Yogibear

(Last edited by yogibear on 17 Mar 2016, 05:56)

I installed Padavan on my Xiaomi Nano (not Mini) without changing the bootloader and have since discovered that it won't let me install Openwrt because of some checks that it is doing.

I have Breed installed on my Nexx WT3020 and have discovered that it too is finicky about what firmware file formats it will accept.

Thanks for the info about the Acer.

Unmesh: Maybe you can open ssh / telnet on your Xiaomi Nano, then from the console try out the command:
# mtd_write

that tool should be included with the Padavan firmware, use it to flash the whole firmware or just replace the u-boot partition.

I have discovered there's some bugs in Breed, the process bar could get stuck (but it still flashes, just wait).

..and for (Breed) firmware update you have to make selections something like this:

http://i64.tinypic.com/16025qq.jpg

It would be nice to know what that last setting is 0x50000, mtd partitions size ? (I have left that setting alone)

(Last edited by yogibear on 17 Mar 2016, 06:51)

The last setting is the offset for the partition that you want to load from and only applies to the EEPROM menu choice.

The radio button at the bottom is to do an automatic reboot on completion of the flash operation.

Thanks guys for sharing. I gave Padawan (installed with Breed) and DD a try.

Padawan is pretty fast and 2,4 GHz as well as 5 GHz WiFi works on my Mi WiFi, but the AP isolation mode for the Guest WiFi seems to be broken. Both available settings restrict access to the AP itself only, access to all other IPs of the subnet is still allowed. And there is no option for providing DHCP to the Guest WiFis only (in WiFi AP mode). In summary this is the best firmware (besides stock) I tried so far, but it doesn't provide the functionalities I need (yes, there seems to be opkg as well). Also, I don't know if I can trust this Russian RouterClub thing - the Chinese stock firmware was no option to me, because of data security - why trust an unknown Russian custom firmware? I'd still prefer OpenWrt.

That's why I installed OpenWrt latest trunk snapshot (DD) and gave it another try. Unfortunately I wasn't able to access the device after applying all changes I made through LuCi (had to install it via SSH first). Having Breed as a replacement for u-boot helped a lot in this case. So I guess I'll put my WiFi Mini back in my desk drawer and wait for OpenWrt stable. Thanks for your help!

In case anyone needs it: The default username and password for Padawan is "admin". You can administrate it via Telnet. SSH needs to be activated first.