OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: [MT7621A]WiTi Board is coming. Do you want to hack it?

The content of this topic has been archived between 8 Feb 2018 and 3 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

stas2z wrote:
richbhanover wrote:

Got my WiTi board today. It looks great (although I didn't get the screws & standoffs...) Seems to boot up OK when I apply power. I have several questions:

2) Which connector should get the "5G" antenna?

if you are watching to the board when lan ports are on the bottom and rp-sma connectors on the top:
two right connectors are 5g, two left are 2g

Yeah,sorry, my fault, it is exactly as at the pic

open a ticket or just wait patiently for a fix.
i've opened a ticket about kmod-mmc crashing the platform about 10 days ago and it's still unsolved so...it's your call smile

And wifi ac driver? Is there any build with fully working ac driver?

Good afternoon!
Guys tell me please, I want to buy this card, but read the forum begin to doubt.
I need to work well WIFI SATA.
Give advice.
Thank you!

Sata works fine, about 30Mb/s r/w. Wifi ac is rubbish for now:-)

Would work well WI-FI?

Almost all devices work through WI-FI :-(

Wireless chips have a built-in hardware thermal throttling mechanism that reduces throughput as temperature rises. I have radiators on the chips and WiFi is pretty stable.

nitroshift

nitroshift wrote:

Wireless chips have a built-in hardware thermal throttling mechanism that reduces throughput as temperature rises. I have radiators on the chips and WiFi is pretty stable.

nitroshift

Thank you very much for the answer.
That is WIfI is stable?
In the post 238 write the opposite, it is because the radiator?
Thank you!

(Last edited by devin1972 on 6 Jan 2016, 13:31)

nitroshift wrote:

I have radiators on the chips and WiFi is pretty stable.

What does stable mean? What speed can you achieve?

@KejPi

Steady ~20m.

nitroshift

richbhanover wrote:

Got my WiTi board today. It looks great (although I didn't get the screws & standoffs...) Seems to boot up OK when I apply power. I have several questions:

1)  Two SSIDs seen:
- mt7602e-805B - channel 2, +1
- mt7612e-805B - channel 52, +1

But couldn't log into router via wifi - what's the password?

2) Which connector should get the "5G" antenna?

3) Are there any docs that describe the built-in software that ships with the WiTi board? Any newbie setup hints?

If I get any of these answers, I'll update the Device Page at https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/mqmaker/witi Thanks!

One question answered (#2), and the Device Page has been updated with an image that labels all ports. Two questions remain:

1) How do I log into the WiTi? (I don't have wifi credentials.)

3) Set up hints/docs?

Thanks!

(Last edited by richbhanover on 6 Jan 2016, 21:20)

why is ac Wifi stuck at Channel: 36 (5.180 GHz) ?

gsustek wrote:

why is ac Wifi stuck at Channel: 36 (5.180 GHz) ?

It's a LuCI bug, iw info shows the user selected channel.

nitroshift

(Last edited by nitroshift on 7 Jan 2016, 06:02)

If I saw correctly, Witi Board has same chipset, same 2.4 and same 5.8 radio sa Xiaomi Mini router. Right?
Has annybody tried Xiaomi Mini device? Does it work with OpenWrt?

different chipsets - xiaomi mini mt7620 , witi - mt7621

Good evening! Guys who knows will sell now price ?

So, this command will change wifi ac channel?

iw phy <phyname> set channel <channel> [HT20|HT40+|HT40-]
iw dev <devname> set channel <channel> [HT20|HT40+|HT40-]
Did anyone try?

stas2z wrote:
build000 wrote:

3) Do the authors/producers of the original firmware/device are planning any factual support in the main line openwrt ?

Witi stock firmware is a bit changed mtk sdk openwrt released by Mediatek in their 4.x SDK. Mediatek is not going to support mainline. Their BB based "firmware" is a 3.10.x MTI kernel with hwnat hack + proprietary wifi drivers which are not opensource. It was a marketing trick and experiment which failed in the 4.3.x.x sdk. SDK 5.0 kernel have no openwrt hooks and im sure current mtksdk openwrt (from 4.3) is a last. Also the mediatek 3.10 kernel is an experiment, "stable" kernel for the Mediatek SDK based firmwares is 2.6.36 (which used by ~100% of vendors for ralink/mediatek socs).

If this is true, the witi openwrt mainline support for this device is just a light version of what this device trully can do.

Does someone maintain this version of source for witi ,or maybe with even more feature which mtk SDK/SoC offers?

(Last edited by gsustek on 8 Jan 2016, 08:53)

maurer wrote:

different chipsets - xiaomi mini mt7620 , witi - mt7621

how is the wifi performance on witi, because we have problem with 2.4GHz LNA and 5GHz PA on xiaomi ?

gsustek wrote:
stas2z wrote:
build000 wrote:

3) Do the authors/producers of the original firmware/device are planning any factual support in the main line openwrt ?

Witi stock firmware is a bit changed mtk sdk openwrt released by Mediatek in their 4.x SDK. Mediatek is not going to support mainline. Their BB based "firmware" is a 3.10.x MTI kernel with hwnat hack + proprietary wifi drivers which are not opensource. It was a marketing trick and experiment which failed in the 4.3.x.x sdk. SDK 5.0 kernel have no openwrt hooks and im sure current mtksdk openwrt (from 4.3) is a last. Also the mediatek 3.10 kernel is an experiment, "stable" kernel for the Mediatek SDK based firmwares is 2.6.36 (which used by ~100% of vendors for ralink/mediatek socs).

If this is true, the witi openwrt mainline support for this device is just a light version of what this device trully can do.

Does someone maintain this version of source for witi ,or maybe with even more feature which mtk SDK/SoC offers?

I have tested performance of original WiTi FW with MT Wi-Fi drivers and HW NAT and my conclusion was that it brings no real performance improvement vs. OpenWRT trunk. Both have problems with WiFi transfer speed in both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. I have compared WiTi running original WiTi FW with MT drivers with and without HW NAT, OpenWrt CC and OpenWrt DD trunk with TP-Link N750 router running original proprietary FW and WiTi has significantly lower performance with any FW :-( In fact my results showed that the best performing WiTi FW was trunk but the differences are small. On top of that WiTi does not provide reliable performance all the time. There is big variation of WiFi transfer speed during the test and also the teste results vary a lot while TP-Link provides always the same and good performance.

BTW: For me the biggest issue of WiTi is SAMBA/NFT throughput on WiFi. While on cable connection I have roughly 28MB/s write speed, on 2.4GHz wifi it is only 800kB/s :-( I have tried both NFS and Samba. NFS is slightly better but still < 1MB/s. I tried the same with TP-Link that has USB2 drive connected and I have ~2MB/s write speed. Considering that WiTi has fast SATA drive connected  the results is very disapointing.

(Last edited by KejPi on 8 Jan 2016, 15:54)

@KejPi, have you installed heatsinks/radiators on the CPU and Wifi chips of the Witi yet? I believe nitroshift pointed out his experience was that things were very slow/inconsistent due to the thermnal protection features in both chips, and adding heatsinks (which funny enough were in the original Witi prototype but somehow got lost/dumped in actual production) seemed to make a big difference at least in terms of consistent performance. I have not tried yet, but the logic makes sense to me as I have not seen a wireless router without any kind of heatsink on it since the days of my good old 200Mhz WL-500gD!

@jolouis: not yet, but radiators are already ordered. But I did another trial - I have decreased WiFi power to minimum (I have my PC less than 1 meter from the router so for the connection speed this should not be any problem) and I can confirm that the wifi performance is more stable ~28MB/s download in 2.4GHz band. So it looks like that proper cooling of WiFI chipset could stabilize WiFi although it looks like it is not helping for overall increase of maximum transfer rate.

Sorry, posts 276 to 275 are missing from our archive.