OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Gl.iNet 6416A (comes with OpenWRT Barrier Braker pre-installed)

The content of this topic has been archived between 26 Nov 2017 and 25 Apr 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Hi, same router here but I have very low speed when using it as a openVPN client.

Please run this particular test and post results
http://www.att.com/speedtest/
What is your ISP rated speed?
How exactly are you connected (WWAN/WAN side and WLAN/LAN side)?
If you can, please also try running with cables on both WAN and LAN to eliminate the radios.  This will bench mark the CPU for encoding.

klaberte wrote:

RangerZ, I will try to reflash to the stock OEM firmware and try switching the repeater SSID from a smartphone and see how it goes.

RangerZ, I reinstalled the default firmware, downloaded the android app, and set it up.

In short, I think this will meet your needs nicely. While there are still a few taps to get to the place to scan for available SSIDs, it is considerably easier than pinching through designed-for-desktop browser screens.  Also, using the mobile browser on my phone provided a nice designed-for-mobile web interface; no need to pinch and zoom.

So if setting up your travel router via your phone is important to you, I think you'll be pleased.

RangerZ wrote:

I have made no suggestions to upgrade for this device, though I do not see there is a problem doing so.  Technically the delivered version on this device is the "Current Official Release" of OpenWRT.

Mostly true, but I slightly disagree.  The delivered version comes with the OEM firmware.  While the OEM firmware is based on OpenWRT, I don't think it makes sense to call it a Current Official Release of OpenWRT.  It is not OpenWRT, and certainly not an official release of OpenWRT.  It is an OEM firmware, based largely on OpenWRT. 

The factory.bin of any version of OpenWRT is designed to convert the device from whatever it ships with into OpenWRT.  Since the 6414 OEM firmware provides a means of installing other OpenWRT easily from Luci,  the work of the factory.bin is less complex than with some hardware, but an upgrade from OEM to OpenWRT all the same.  It also means that there is little reason you couldn't freely move to a BB version of OpenWRT (without first having to revert to the OEM firmware).

Personally, even though I have not seen it, I think the feature set, especially the mobile APP for my purposes, makes staying on the delivered firmware compelling.  There was no real choice on the HooToo.

As I just posted earlier, I think you are right.  The GL phone app is pretty well done.  The downside is that the OEM firmware allows GL-iNet to find your device via DDNS whenever they choose.  While you can change the password, I read somewhere that it is kept in a cleartext file on the device; certainly GL could sneak a few packets back to them without you likely noticing.  (Perhaps there is some way to defeat this by change the MAC or similar, but you might lose access via the app as well.  Worth investigating.)  You may also want to browse through the config files to make sure there is no other security back-doors enabled.  (Even if you trust the company, there is always a chance they are hacked in the future.)  I tend to be paranoid about these things, and prefer pure OpenSource if it is an option.  You will have to weigh the advantages of configure-by-smartphone-app vs. known and unknown security back-doors.

If all you want is a smartphone app that will scan for available APs and adjust the client-WAN settings, that should be pretty easy to code up, and could be used on many OpenWRT devices.  The app would simply have to ssh to the router, issue a couple of UCI commands, and be done.  Easy, that is, if you know someone who writes Android apps.  I have such a friend, and I'll ask him at some point, if nothing else comes along.

I sent a mote to Gl.inet directly, and suggested, among other things, they make an app exactly to do just the SSID setting.  They responded by saying that they did this in the current app with DDNS.  I have to admit that I do not understand how this works.  I understand how a DDNS service works, but not how it ties to the SSID selection.  Are they running their own DDNS service?  They also said that the OpenWRT is 14.07 with their GUI on top.  Waiting to hear back on what repository they are using.   Yes, they could add snoop ware, but I do not see that being in their best interest.  They are going to publish all the source they say.

I would not expect the back door to be in the config files.  I expect it would be hidden in the code, and harder to find.  That said, I am disappointed that OpenWRT SSID keys are not encrypted.  Big hole in my mind.

A connection app would be great.   I need an iPhone version.   I have written some other posts in the section that are basically looking for support on how to redirect the login page to the scan tab or write the app you suggest.  No bytes on either. 

Here is my design spec.  I would see it be able to:
Logon on auto or manual (configurable)
Scan upon start
Auto -connect or display a list (user config)
If auto-connect, connect based upon a list of saved SSID in preferred order.
Auto,prompt, or ignore saving of secure SSID
Auto,prompt, or ignore saving of unsecured SSID
If the app is left on, it should connect the device to a WAN as soon as it's client joins the wireless

I want to be able to use my VPN connection at any place I frequent with minimal intervention.  I just want to turn it on and open the App.  The easier it is, the more I will use it.  But I want to control the security.  I do not want it to connect to public places I have never vetted, but there are some I will go regularly and trust.

Ideally some of this functionality should be built into OpenWRT.  The fact that it can not save SSID on the client side for frequently used APs is weak.  MY PC remembers what to talk to, My phone remembers, why not my router.

@klaberte, the password is kept as clear txt on the router is not good. This is because: when you setup your router for the first time, the password is set for both OpenWrt and wifi. As wifi key is clear text, so your password is clear text. But we know that this is not good. We are storing the password as SHA256 hash now. WiFi password will not be the same as OpenWrt and WebUI in the coming version.

The interesting thing is, most people don't change the default wifi password when they set up the router. So, there has been a way to force them to change the password. That is what we did. But we would like to change as people concerned.

The ddns is only for finding your device if you have a public IP. There is nothing more info submitted to our server. As you can read the code in /usr/lib/ddns/glddnsupdater.sh. You can disable this by just editing /etc/rc.local or remove this script completely. The first two letters of the ddns is generated randomly. So it is not so easily guessed.

But, of course, if you don't trust anything, just compile your firmware from source and install it on the router. That is what we encouraged.

RangerZ wrote:

If anyone is on the stock firmware, please document the configuration of the LEDs.  I know other routers when upgraded from their Factory to OpenWRT have LED issues (general statement).  This will be in the /etc/config/system.

Thanks for the report and instructions.

config led 'led_lan'
        option name 'LAN'
        option sysfs 'gl-connect:green:lan'
        option trigger 'netdev'
        option dev 'eth1'
        option mode 'link tx rx'

config led 'led_wlan'
        option name 'WLAN'
        option sysfs 'gl-connect:red:wlan'
        option trigger 'phy0tpt'

System > Software was 8.01 MB free if i remember correct.  i installed a few things so i'm using up more space

This thread discuss the issues that can occur when the Client side (STA) can not find the hot spot, and how it can take down the AP.  This is a problem with only a single radio installed.

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=41610

Summary, it seems to be a known bug that dev is not looking to fix, however it appears that someone else has written a solution that will take the button short press and use it to kill the hang and reset things to a usable state.  See very last post for details with gl.inet specific code.  No clue if it really works.

Thanks frietpan!!

Sounds a lot like the lockouts i had with the NEXX. When i added an extra IP to the LAN then i got locked out of ALL networks.  Only way to fix was login on the UART and remove the changes in the config files manually.

Not something that an 'average user' can do.  BTW. routers with a U-boot failsafe mode, does that failsafe also allow ssh logins?  Or can it only be used to flash firmware??  (i have not tried it yet) 

For non technical users this still would seem to be a somewhat workable solution if SSH works in failsafe mode...  Then they at least don't need to fence around with the 'hot-sword'. however they then still need to wrestle with ssh, install nano (this is not standard in all OpenWRT firmwares??) and then manually hack the configs.   

BTW i still need to figure out if this bug is actually related to the lockout i described.

As i read many of the posts related to user developed firmware, it is not clear that buttons and reset properly trigger fail safe or other actions, including the LEDS for operation status.   It also is a problem for battery powered units for battery level reporting.  In general the device does not have GPIOs well documented.

One would hope that things like SSH would be configured to operate the same in all product at the CC3 level.   I think going forward, the first thing I will check after an upgrade is what happens when I trigger all the buttons and switches.  It's too hard after that.

I'll report that after some emails with alzhao, I have been able to successfully reflash the stock OEM firmware using the web based flash (http://www.gl-inet.com/w/?p=371).  This worked even after I had previously flashed a non-working dd-wrt on the 6414, so I am feeling like this is a pretty good way to bring this device back from the dead.

I can also report that the dd-wrt firmware discussed here (http://www.gl-inet.com/w/?p=561) does *not* work, at least for me.  I'd be happy to hear if anyone else has had better luck.

@ RangerZ
What can users/noobs do to help the devs to improve the GPIO docs in a constructive way?
Would be nice if there was somekind of manual that lists some basics that devs need to do all the time to figure out GPIO stuff. But they don't own every device out there.  If we as users can then fill somekind of database, or (google spreadsheet? to give it a try) with that data. Then the devs have a place to compare data of devices.
Don't know if this makes sense, i don't have a clue what would work for the devs. I don't want to waste their time, I want to find a way save the devs some time with basic stuff. So that they have more time to focus on other things.     
This way the users also gain a little knowledge. etc. Closing the gap a little between users and devs

@klaberte
The guys at GLiNet have a lot of work on their hands, it's great to see a company that is openminded and close to the user base.  The U-BOOT failsafe is well done on the 6416.  I will give ddwrt a try if i can find the firmware..

Today i played a bit with the PCB antenna. And a reflector. Indoors I had good results by reflecting the signal that usually goes into the wall into the room. However the distance of the antenna / reflector is a bit tricky to get right. 

I hope a can figure out a way to make a directional antenna on the cheap to make a reliable bridge/relay.

BTW does anyone know the type of antenna connector that is used in the 6416?  the VERY tiny thing is a connector right????   Never seen such a tiny connector before...

frietpan wrote:

@ RangerZ

@klaberte
The guys at GLiNet have a lot of work on their hands, it's great to see a company that is openminded and close to the user base.  The U-BOOT failsafe is well done on the 6416.  I will give ddwrt a try if i can find the firmware..

Here is the direct link:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/routerdb/de/downl … t.bin/4138

Here's the scenic view (good for you to go down, just as a sanity check that I didn't mess up)

Go to
http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database

Then search for tl-wr703n.  Click on the results and download files will be there.

frietpan wrote:

What can users/noobs do to help the devs to improve the GPIO docs in a constructive way?

Sorry, out of my skill set.  Mine is a general statement based upon reading on sites where users are trying to figure out how to make OpenWRT work, and they find GPIOs inside.  I do not see this as a developer issue, though I could be wrong.  I think it is up to the community to do ther reverse engineering on GPIO.  It's not networking functionality.  It's adding functionality to a Linux box, though it may touch network functionality (like a reset sw).  I do believe that patches will be added to the device specific builds if submitted.

I expect that Gl.inet will have docu for their product out in relatively short time, at least for the new ART-150.  If you have not seen the new home page, you can see they are advertising this as supporting home control processes.  The Domino product line is a YDI IoT tool set.  Open Source is substantially required.

I ran DD-WRT for years, and just this year moved here.  I still have my AP running DD-WRT along with a Bridge it supports.  I left DD-WRT because you can not use an old backup on a new version, and it was to much work to upgrade.  As releases come every few weeks I found it too hard.  But if you can find a stable release, and do not need to install more than stock firmware it's good.  The newest release is not always the best release.  Do some 703N searching.  There is no integrated package system.

klaberte wrote:

That connector is not for an external antenna.  It is used to tune the RF parameters of the on-chip antenna.

https://revspace.nl/GL-iNet
http://shiki.tk/?p=2940

thanks!  So R76 really is a resistor?   the thing really looks like a tiny rf socket
And it is in the exact same spot as the rf socket on shiki.tk. That's what actually made me believe it is a rf socket...

r76

I want to try a bi-quad antenna, but it would be a shame to get rid of a nicely tuned pcb antenna. so i will try a little longer with the reflector idea, and see if i can try the bi-quad on another mini router.  The signal on the GLiNet is actually good. So i leave the pot i place for now...

I will try ddwrt in a few days.  I really should make some understandable backup structure for my config files heeheheh

(Last edited by frietpan on 29 Aug 2015, 00:07)

Is that your own picture of your own device?  That looks like it has already been modified.  Normally the area around R76 looks like this

http://galeria.tech-blog.pl/GLiNet/GLiNet_13.jpg.html

where you can see that R76 is indeed a resister.

You can try the mod based on the link above.  Doesn't look too hard with some basic soldering skills.  Or if you can wait a month or two, GL-iNET has stated their intentions to ship the ART150 with the external antenna already added.

RangerZ wrote:

Mine is a general statement based upon reading on sites where users are trying to figure out how to make OpenWRT work, and they find GPIOs inside.

I see, i'm also looking at the GPIO'S want to build several things, like on the shiki.tk site. Display, LED controller, etc. But I also have a few DAC's that i could try on the i2s bus. But it is not clear to me if i2s support is already in the software?  ALSA? Kernel?  The Atheros needs to be toggled into i2s mode or something like that. not sure how that works... 

Not expecting high end miracles here, since for good audio the clock signal has to be stable and clean. The atheros cant do very high bitrates either, but it would be nice to play with this non the less. 

It could make a wifi controlled function generator etc...   The atheros also has a Mic input. But i dont know if thats on the same gpio's...

Yes, I browse the GLiNet site about once a week. They have a broad range of items in he document section im sure they will be busy the next couple of months. :-) 
I want a Domino + a few modules, AR-150 and also a AR-300.   But I first need to finish my captive portal...
This nodogsplash is a bit of a pain at the moment...

klaberte wrote:

Is that your own picture of your own device?

Yes, that's my device... Seems to be a different revision.
I posted it so that others can also see what it looks like.

I think, but am not sure, that the early versions they radios were not balanced,and that this might have been the (a) connector that was added so they could read/adjust/balance.

hmm so it is a connector...

small is ok but this is component size a bit #$@%.  Does anyone know what type of plug that is?  It's damn hard
to guess the right size hahaha

WTF?WTF?

IPEX MHF4, MHF, MHF2, MHF3.  Right...
If they are not to pricey then i order one of each.

BTW, does anyone know how much current the voltage regulator can handle on this board?  I want to connect a USB soundcard. But that one consumes about 400mA. So I doubt the regulator on this version can handle it..

(Last edited by frietpan on 29 Aug 2015, 22:47)

gl-inet is now selling (not sure if it is pre-order or shipping) the antenna version online at their ebay store.  You can find it from here:  http://www.gl-inet.com/

I've already ordered one and am excited to get it!  ($32-33 including shipping)

[EDIT] just found the link: http://stores.ebay.com/1-GL-iNet

(Last edited by klaberte on 3 Sep 2015, 00:04)

Actually it's the new GL-AR150.  It's available with ($27) and without ($25) an antenna.  I believe the on-board antenna is disconnected in the antenna version, so it's either or.

When you receive it please start a new thread.  If your not in to much of a rush, can we please review the delivered product before any flashing?

Sorry, posts 51 to 50 are missing from our archive.